inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CBGB is closing down

Written By: Satish on 09/02/06 at 1:07 pm

CBGB, the venerable rock club in New York, has announced that it will be closing on September 30, 2006. The club was one of the focal points of the punk and new wave movements in the 70s and early 80s, hosting the early shows of such inflential acts as Talking Heads and Blondie(two of my favourite groups), as well as the Ramones, Patti Smith, Television and the New York Dolls. Considering the importance of CBGB in the history of punk, it's sad to see it disappear, but I suppose nothing can last forever.

I heard a guy on the radio say the major reason CBGB is closing is because real estate prices are so high in New York now, the operation of the club doesn't justify the cost of the property.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBGB

Subject: Re: CBGB is closing down

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/06 at 4:40 pm

I agree CBGBs is a great landmark, and I hate to see it go, but it's just a nightclub in the end.  Yes, yes awesome bands played their such as Talking Heads, Blondie, Suicide, The Ramones, Johnny Thunders, Iggy Pop, and you-name-it.  If another great pop revolution should occur, as was Punk/New Wave, it will have its own "CBGBs," its own "Max's Kansas City."  BTW, the same acts played Max's as played CBGB and that club went out of business in 1981, just as Punk/New Wave was reaching its crescendo!

CBGB stood for "Country Blue-grass Blues," so obviously the club's founders had something else in mind when they opened in 1973.  So, you never know what's going to gel in the music scene and where.  Personally, I think Kristal should have shut the joint down years ago.  He's going out with a wimper not a bang.  It's like the way the ill-fated Studio 54 chugged on until 1986  In 1978, you'd bl()w the bouncer to get into Studio 54.  In 1985, the bouncer would bl()w you, if only you'd come in!
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...