inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question re: Maury Povich Show..

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/06 at 4:23 pm

I am confined to the house today due to knee problems, so I have been surfing the daylight shows.  :-[

Here's my question.  Whenever Maury announces the DNA results, why do people go running off to that back room?  I mean heck... there's a whole darned camera crew back there waiting.  Not a very good place to go and hide...  ::)

Subject: Re: Question re: Maury Povich Show..

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/15/06 at 4:57 pm

lol i dont know but it makes me laugh everytime

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/06 at 5:20 pm

Maury Paury is still on that schtick?  I'm surprised that guy is still on the air!  Oh well, as long as he gets the ratings, he's good to go.  I used to have an autographed photo of Maury.  I don't know what happened to it.  What happened was many years ago I knew a girl who got an internship on the Maury show, so I said, "Oh, boy! Can you get me his autograph?"
::)
When she returned from NYC, she handed me a b&w glossy of Maury himself, inscribed:

To Max,
All my best!

--Maury

;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/06 at 6:13 pm

Maury Paury is still on that schtick? 

;D

Apparently DNA Shows are cheap to produce...  :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 7:48 pm

I am confined to the house today due to knee problems, so I have been surfing the daylight shows.  :-[

Here's my question.  Whenever Maury announces the DNA results, why do people go running off to that back room?  I mean heck... there's a whole darned camera crew back there waiting.  Not a very good place to go and hide...  ::)

You must be the last person on earth not to realize all these shows are staged.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 9:20 pm

Apparently DNA Shows are cheap to produce...  :P

CSI is so popular , maybe Maury Povich wants in on the action ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 9:38 pm

Wasn't there a time where the Maury show was somewhat less "white trash"....I dunno, I remember years ago he used to have somewhat less trashier topics. ???

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/15/06 at 9:41 pm

I still remember this hilarious episode of "Maury" from about 5 years ago or so where people came on to face their fears.  Some chick had a fear of Chalk and some guy had a huge fear of clowns, so while he was sitting down talking to Maury about his fear of clowns, out came this guy dressed as a clown and he was on huge stilts and the guy jumped out of his chair, ran into the crowd and jumped over the back barrier and ran out of the building screaming  ;D

The funniest thing i'd ever seen in my life

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 9:43 pm

I still remember this hilarious episode of "Maury" from about 5 years ago or so where people came on to face their fears.  Some chick had a fear of Chalk and some guy had a huge fear of clowns, so while he was sitting down talking to Maury about his fear of clowns, out came this guy dressed as a clown and he was on huge stilts and the guy jumped out of his chair, ran into the crowd and jumped over the back barrier and ran out of the building screaming  ;D

OMG...I remember when he had shows about that. There was someone who was afraid of a balloon....and another person who was afraid of lettuce....that was so freaking hilarious!!! LOL! ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 9:53 pm

Wasn't there a time where the Maury show was somewhat less "white trash"....I dunno, I remember years ago he used to have somewhat less trashier topics. ???

Yeah, I remember that.  All the talk shows used to be less trashy, but when Jerry Springer exploded (I still watch that show to this day because it's HELLA funny), all these other shows had to up the trash factor just to keep their ratings.  Most of them didn't. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 10:27 pm

I actually remember that one ;D

There was one where this guy had a fear of balloons, so Maury opens a door and all these balloons blow in, and the guy screams like a girl and jumps on the chair ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 10:29 pm

I actually remember that one ;D

There was one where this guy had a fear of balloons, so Maury opens a door and all these balloons blow in, and the guy screams like a girl and jumps on the chair ;D

that was effin' hilarious!! Do you remember the person who was afraid of lettuce? That was insane!! LOL! ;D :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 10:30 pm

that was effin' hilarious!! Do you remember the person who was afraid of lettuce? That was insane!! LOL! ;D :D

Found this Maury clip on YouTube ...

Woman who is afraid of pickles

;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 10:32 pm

Found this Maury clip on YouTube ...

Woman who is afraid of pickles

;D

No offense, but what a freak.  Pickles?!  Just watching that made me almost pee my pants, I was laughing so hard.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 10:45 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 10:46 pm

The part where Maury brings out Pickles, and she runs into the audience had me splitting my sides ;D

OMG!!! PICKLES!!!111eleveneleveneleven!!!!11111!!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 10:51 pm

that was so incredibly funny....i cannot even stand it!! :D ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 10:55 pm

the peach phobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1NBuwmqXPo&mode=related&search=

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 11:01 pm

the peach phobia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1NBuwmqXPo&mode=related&search=

I can understand being afraid of axe wielding maniacs, needles, guns, etc .. but peaches?  ;D

Here is the lady afraid of Frogs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8CA9IA3sfY

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/06 at 11:02 pm

[quote author=

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/06 at 11:12 pm

I am confined to the house today due to knee problems, so I have been surfing the daylight shows.  :-WHEEL!
OF!
FATHER!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:15 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FAmeQ4nvEo0

I dare you to watch this and not laugh. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/06 at 11:17 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:17 pm

Love them Jerry Springer fights ;D

No language censor!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/06 at 11:20 pm

I still miss the old Springer show:

You ain't nothin' but a (bleep bleep) 'ho!
Oh yeah, well, if yer such  big man, try sayin' that to me!
She ain't nothin' but a (bleep bleep) 'ho!!!
Oh yeah...(leaps at the other guy...)

http://usarundbrief.com/26/images/springer_s.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:22 pm

I still miss the old Springer show:

You ain't nothin' but a (bleep bleep) 'ho!
Oh yeah, well, if yer such  big man, try sayin' that to me!
She ain't nothin' but a (bleep bleep) 'ho!!!
Oh yeah...(leaps at the other guy...)

http://usarundbrief.com/26/images/springer_s.jpg

They brought the fights back, so if that's what you love about the show.....tune in.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/06 at 11:36 pm

I've always had the impression that the audience in the Jerry Springer show was only slightly more intelligent than the guests.  I mean, really. What's the point of this show? Does it give lame-o's the smug satisfaction that there's actually someone more pathetic then they are?!?  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:39 pm

I've always had the impression that the audience in the Jerry Springer show was only slightly more intelligent than the guests.  I mean, really. What's the point of this show? Does it give lame-o's the smug satisfaction that there's actually someone more pathetic then they are?!?  ::)

I watch the show because it's funny watching poorly staged fighting pretending to be completely spontaneous and real.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/06 at 11:47 pm

^ That's what people didn't seem to "get" about the violence on Springer. Spontaneous and real violence presents a wide world of liability and litigation.  The network would never allow it!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/15/06 at 11:48 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/15/06 at 11:53 pm

That's true, I've never seen anyone actually land any blows. Do the guests have to sign some kind of waiver promising that they won't really fight?
    I mean, I can't believe that all the "guests" are actors. They're just too trashy to be anything other than real. I just have a hard time believing that anyone could actually be stupid enough to admit to the most humiliating of personal problems in front of a hostile audience, let alone on national TV. Please tell me, why in the blue f*ck would anyone want to be on the Jerry Springer show?!?!?!?!? ??? ??? ??? ???

I've seen people land blows.  They're fighting, but it's fake in the way that they are told to do it.  They don't just get into the heat of an argument and throw chairs.  They're told, by producers, when in the segment they should get up....or maybe start cursing....maybe throw their shoes....stuff like that.  It's like WWF.  They're fighting, but it's not real.  I've seen hair get ripped out, I even saw someone get a bloody nose.  The fighting is what draws the ratings, so they know how to pump it up.  Do you ever hear the show titles?  "I'm cheating on you with your mom!"  or "KKK vs. Black Panthers" or "My sister is a stripper and my dad is her biggest client!"......maximum potential to exploit.

I don't think any of the people are actors, and I don't think any of the stories are fake.  I think they are real people who want to be on the show because it's their 15 minutes of fame that they otherwise would never get.  Also, there's an aspect of utterly humiliating someone who's done you wrong in a way that is far and above anything they'd have access to in real life.  You find out that your boyfriend/girlfriend/lover/partner/spouse is cheating you with a stripper/hooker/teacher/sibling/dog....what's the best way to make it so they can never show their face in your town again?  Springer! 

Also, these are people that are easy to exploit.  They come from poor parts of town, they are often minorities, and they're paid handsomely for their suffering.  It's what has kept Springer on the air for so long. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 12:02 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 12:06 am

Perhaps you might know more about this than me. I was always under the impression that the only thing the guests got in return for their appearance on the Springer show was free airfare to Chicago and a few nights in a nice hotel.
    All I know is that if I ever had a girlfriend who, one day out of the blue said, "Hey Al, I've got something I've been meaning to tell you, but we have to go on the Jerry Springer show before I can tell you,"  I'd drop her like a hot potato right there.

I saw a special about the Springer show a few years back and they were talking to the woman in charge of booking guests and she says that people actually call and request to be on the show.  So some people might be faking stories/making something up just to get on the show because they know the weirder it sounds, the more likely it'll be they get on.  They do have their fair share of true stories they put on, but if they need ratings for that week or something, they'll put the outlandish one on instead.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 12:12 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 12:13 am

All I can say is that it's a rather interesting sociological phenomenon.

You're right....it is amazing what people will watch.  I watch it purely for comedic value because some of the stories are so out there, if you don't laugh.....you just have to laugh.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 12:19 am

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 12:23 am

I have to admit, it can be pretty funny.
    Do you remember a show from the 90's called "Night Stand With Dick Dietrich?" It seemed like 10 years ago everyone and their brother had a talk show, and "Night Stand" was a dead-on spoof of all of them. I only saw it a few times, but it was one of the funniest shows I'd ever seen, and I wish they'd bring it out on DVD.

Oh God, I DO remember that show.  Wow.  It was on E! if I remember and sometimes they'd show clips on the old Talk Soup.  I'mma see if they have clips on Youtube of that.

Edit:  Aw hell, they don't.  :-(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 12:26 am

[quote author=

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/16/06 at 12:30 am

Do you guys remember the "Richard Bey" show? I believe that it originated out of New Jersey....it was along the lines of Jerry Springer, I believe.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/16/06 at 12:32 am

Do you guys remember the "Richard Bey" show? I believe that it originated out of New Jersey....it was along the lines of Jerry Springer, I believe.
I know that sounds familiar, and I think I might have seen it once or twice. Wasn't it also kind of a spoof show as well?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/16/06 at 12:34 am

I know that sounds familiar, and I think I might have seen it once or twice. Wasn't it also kind of a spoof show as well?

yes...I think it was. The thing I remember the most about that show was the audience....they were so trashy and tacky....it was rather funny! LOL! :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 2:09 pm

Perhaps you might know more about this than me. I was always under the impression that the only thing the guests got in return for their appearance on the Springer show was free airfare to Chicago and a few nights in a nice hotel.
    All I know is that if I ever had a girlfriend who, one day out of the blue said, "Hey Al, I've got something I've been meaning to tell you, but we have to go on the Jerry Springer show before I can tell you,"  I'd drop her like a hot potato right there.

I can imagine some hotels stopped booking Springer guests after a while!  Tired of all that howling profanity, too many TV sets through the windows, too much blood and whiskey, beer and motor oil to be cleaned from the bedding and carpets!
:P
Or maybe the Springer guests are all Rhodes scholars in real life.  "Yes, yes mumsy, we've reserved audience seats for you and pater, and we shall tour the museums and attend the opera over the weekend, now luvvy and I must really get to soundcheck...
OK, let's rehearse this one more time, you gaw-dayum 'ho, you wuz sleepin' wit' Billy Ray the whole time I wuz in the county lock-up..."
:D

The funny thing is the extent to which people will go just to appear on television.  I used to wonder how they could show everybody's face on Cops.  It just didn't occur to me that they all signed permits!  Not sure how that works,  "Here, sugs, hold my baseball bat and my can of PBR while I sign these papers."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elkgrin.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/06 at 2:57 pm

While we are on the subject of Springer...

Why do the female contestants, when they get PO'd at their cheatin' hubby or girlfriend, all of the sudden feel the urge to take off their tops? ???

I mean, what is that supposed to prove?  In all my life I have never seen someone so mad that they popped off their top.  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 3:01 pm

While we are on the subject of Springer...

Why do the female contestants, when they get PO'd at their cheatin' hubby or girlfriend, all of the sudden feel the urge to take off their tops? ???

I mean, what is that supposed to prove?  In all my life I have never seen someone so mad that they popped off their top.  ::)

HELLO......IT'S STAGED.  I just said that.  They are acting....it's for ratings.....it's not real.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/06 at 3:21 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 3:23 pm

They're not really taking off their tops?  Wow... it sure looked real to me.  Special effects? ???

WTF....the fighting is fake.  They are told to do it.  It is for ratings.  It's not some "heat of the moment" crap.  The producers tell these people what to do and when to do it. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/06 at 4:12 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/06 at 6:38 pm

It wasn't always the way it is now, it just slowly became that way over time.

Jerry Springer used to be a news anchor in the '80s (after he was in politics), and it was because of his insightful nightly commentaries and special reports he'd done, that he was offered a talk show. It started out serious/straight, but had low ratings because there were already alot of shows like that on at the time (1991-'94).

There ended up being an unexpected fight one day (I think they booked some different supremacy groups), where the ratings shot up. The new producer at the time, decided to make the show more wild to keep it on the air (i.e. having Jerry appealing to a younger audience, and being a bit like Ricki Lake, c. 1995). From there it slowly got wilder and less serious, to where now it's basically 100% entertainment and silliness.

As dumb as the show is now, doesn't mean everything is "faked". Just because a few of them may have been clever enough to make up a story to fool the producers and make it on the air, doesn't mean that's the case with everyone. I've done alot of research on this, too, especially around '99 when the show was controversial and at its peak (i.e. I've read all of Jerry's bio's, and checked out interviews with Jerry or the staff - which have always tended to say the same things, but in different forms).

As for Maury, he's also became entertainment, just in a different way (i.e. boot camp kids and paternity tests). As for the chick afraid of Pickles, I've seen that on YouTube before. That's a pretty messed up thing to tease someone about and/or to automatically assume she's making it up (maybe she was, but it's still not cool to assume that. We don't know). Sure, it might seem silly to us to be afraid of an inatimate object, but we don't know what happened in that girl's life in the past. She could have a valid reason such as a childhood fear associated with pickles that none of us would understand because it didn't happen to us.

I've always despised people making assumptions without knowing the facts. On top of being generally insensitive towards other people.

People know what they're getting into when they're on these shows. I've often heard the criticism that "oh it's gotta be fake if they're coming on TV! Why would anyone talk about that on national TV if it's real. They're trailer trash..." Again, while it's not something I would do - most of us wouldn't either - I understand the reasoning for it. It's easier to talk about something to a group of strangers than to people closest to you. There's less fear of judgement, and it's easier to be yourself (I mean, when any of us were 12 or 13, wasn't it easier to talk to, say your teachers or maybe a cool older buddy or a sibling, than to your parents about sex or teenage problems? Same thing applies here).

P.S. Coincidentally Maury was also a news anchor before doing his show now. ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/16/06 at 7:01 pm

People know what they're getting into when they're on these shows. I've often heard the criticism that "oh it's gotta be fake if they're coming on TV! Why would anyone talk about that on national TV if it's real. They're trailer trash..." Again, while it's not something I would do - most of us wouldn't either - I understand the reasoning for it. It's easier to talk about something to a group of strangers than to people closest to you. There's less fear of judgement, and it's easier to be yourself (I mean, when any of us were 12 or 13, wasn't it easier to talk to, say your teachers or maybe a cool older buddy or a sibling, than to your parents about sex or teenage problems? Same thing applies here).

Oh come on.  There's less fear of judgement if you go on NATIONAL TELEVISION AND TELL YOUR S.O. YOU'RE SLEEPING WITH SOMEONE ELSE?!  Are you kidding me?  You really....honestly....believe people go on Jerry Springer because they know they won't be judged and it's easier to talk to a studio audience full of people you've never met about a problem you probably wouldn't tell your own mother?  What a bunch of baloney sauce.  Jerry Springer and shows of that ilk are not Dr. Phil.  They do not cater to helping people solve their problems and they don't allow rational discourse. 

Have you even *seen* the show?  That show is faker than Tara Reid's tits.  I've seen interviews with the people behind the scenes of the show who say they have people calling in all the time to get on the show.  The bumpers for the upcoming episodes feature more and more outrageous plot lines.  Not all of the stories are fake, but the fighting is staged and so is the dialogue.  Those people wouldn't do that sh*t in real life.....they want their 15 minutes and if they have to humiliate someone else to do it, so be it.  They don't go on the show because they don't want to be judged. 

You don't go on national television and do ANYTHING if you don't want to be judged. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/06 at 9:02 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 9:33 pm

Springer has radio show ("Springer on the Radio") on the Failing Air American Network.  He's actually intelligent and articulate with a interesting insights into current events.  He did get in trouble a few times over the past decade.  I seem to remember he got caught with a couple of hookers, and there were a couple of other sleazeball antics.  Jerry knew his show was trash, but you spend too long immersed in the trash element and it's going to leech into your personal integrity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Dr. Phil is not in the business of helping anybody.  Dr. Phil is in the business of Dr. Phil.  He's an egomaniac on a power trip.  Dr. Phil was presciently portrayed by Dabney Coleman as pop psychologist Dr. Mark Winslow in the 1981 Chevy Chase movie, "Modern Problems."
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/031schvartz.html
Worth watching if only for Coleman's charachter and its uncanny resemblance to Dr. Phil...replete with the Texas accent, the black suit,  the soup strainer moustache, and the overbearing demeanor!

Memorable lines:
Dr. Mark (after bullying Max--Chevy Chase--out of the guest bedroom): Max, I don't want you to do this because you're weak.  I want you to do it because you know I'm right.

Lorraine (Mary Kay Place, shouting at Dr. Mark who is walking into the surf in a vain suicide attempt): Mark....Mark!  No, don't kill yourself! You love yourself too much....you dedicated all your books to yourself! (Dr. Mark keeps pushing into the waves)
For God's sake, you just bought yourself a new Porsche!!!
(Dr. Mark abruptly turns and starts back for the beach)

:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/06 at 4:49 am

Springer has radio show ("Springer on the Radio") on the Failing Air American Network.  He's actually intelligent and articulate with a interesting insights into current events.  He did get in trouble a few times over the past decade.  I seem to remember he got caught with a couple of hookers, and there were a couple of other sleazeball antics.  Jerry knew his show was trash, but you spend too long immersed in the trash element and it's going to leech into your personal integrity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Yeah, I've listened to him a few times before, he does a great show. He's one of those guys who, even if I don't agree with his opinions (though I often do), I still like what hearing what he has to say.

I'd say his AA radio show is more like a future version of his political career.

Aside from the talk show being entertaining (in a dumb way), one thing about him that always appealed to me since the late '90s, was his articulate/intelligent/nice guy nature mixed with a good sense of humor and entertainment. From what I can tell, he was sorta like a younger Clinton when he was in politics.

Check for new replies or respond here...