inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody like Rap on this board??

Written By: BigBrotha on 09/17/06 at 10:36 am

I have been looking around on this board, especially at the sections about current music or top billboard hits, and it appears to me that nobody likes Hip-Hop. When someone disses rap, no one defends it. This leads me to believe that no one likes rap. I for one love rap. I think Rap is wonderful music and it gets me p'od that no one defends rap on this board. So I thought, I'll make a post of defense for Rap lovers everywhere. There are many people who like rap out there, this can be plainly be seen by record sales and the top songs on the billboard charts and Itunes top downloads. I personally do not listen to only rap as I like a lot of rock and pop as well. I loathe country.
Maybe this board is full of older people who just don't understand rap as a musical form? Or they prefer "Old Skool?"
I used to not like rap or understand its appeal either. But I opened my mind and now I listen predominatley to rap. I actually bought Justin Timberlake's new CD and I listen to it all the time. I think it is a work of genius, with the exception of one song. I love reggae too. Should I be right in assuming that nobody likes Daddy Yankee or Reggaeton in general on this board too???

As for my current rock tastes, as I'm sure many will wish to know:

Lots of Psychedelia like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Byrds, Guess Who.. I like the Raconteurs. I like the Black Keys. Evanescense, The Killers, and Linkin Park...( Can't wait for the new CDs of all the latter three!)

Subject: Re: Does anybody like Rap on this board??

Written By: nupur on 09/17/06 at 12:50 pm

i listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop along with every other genre of music ('cept country), but sometimes (very rarely) there are just some rap songs i can't stand....i don't have anything against specific artists, though.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/17/06 at 1:49 pm

I have been looking around on this board, especially at the sections about current music or top billboard hits, and it appears to me that nobody likes Hip-Hop. When someone disses rap, no one defends it. This leads me to believe that no one likes rap. I for one love rap. I think Rap is wonderful music and it gets me p'od that no one defends rap on this board. So I thought, I'll make a post of defense for Rap lovers everywhere. There are many people who like rap out there, this can be plainly be seen by record sales and the top songs on the billboard charts and Itunes top downloads. I personally do not listen to only rap as I like a lot of rock and pop as well. I loathe country.
Maybe this board is full of older people who just don't understand rap as a musical form? Or they prefer "Old Skool?"
I used to not like rap or understand its appeal either. But I opened my mind and now I listen predominatley to rap. I actually bought Justin Timberlake's new CD and I listen to it all the time. I think it is a work of genius, with the exception of one song. I love reggae too. Should I be right in assuming that nobody likes Daddy Yankee or Reggaeton in general on this board too???

As for my current rock tastes, as I'm sure many will wish to know:

Lots of Psychedelia like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Byrds, Guess Who.. I like the Raconteurs. I like the Black Keys. Evanescense, The Killers, and Linkin Park...( Can't wait for the new CDs of all the latter three!)

I like rap but this year's music has been garbage, which is why I haven't bought that many CD's. Also, people that have posted that this is a great year for music must have a completely different taste in music from mine. I think that this year's music is really annoying (especially James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" song) and played out. I'm hoping that next year will have more rap with a dance beat.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/17/06 at 2:09 pm

No, I don't like rap.

Written By: DJ Midas on 09/17/06 at 2:30 pm

I don't dislike rap.  I prefer the old school stuff to most of the new.  I think the reason it gets dissed a lot on this board is because the foundation for this messageboard was built on the love of all things 80's.  Your tenured members for the most part aren't into today's rap music.

I think the reason it dominates the charts at this point is because you have giant media like eMpTyV (& MTV2) and Clear channel shoving the drivel down Top 40 listeners' throats (or ears) which in turn makes them buy it because they think it's cool.  Most of the new rap lacks substance, talent and staying power.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/06 at 2:43 pm

The old school rap songs from the 80s and maybe early 90s were good, but today's rap is terrible

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/17/06 at 2:53 pm

I like all genres of music, including Rap and Hip Hop.  The only thing I don't like about Rap is the music videos.  They are all the same!  People partying in the club, girls shaking their booties, the rappers showing off their cars and bling.  They are starting to get ridiculous.  The only hip hop group I've seen who is really original is Outkast, and I think they're awesome.  The rest of them need to try something different!

Written By: Brian06 on 09/17/06 at 3:42 pm

I like some of it, and I despise some of it.

Written By: rich1981 on 09/17/06 at 6:15 pm

I never really cared for rap, even when I was younger, but I am ok with some of the old school rap (e.g. MC Hammer and Coolio) once in a while.

Written By: nally on 09/17/06 at 6:53 pm

I never really cared for rap, even when I was younger, but I am ok with some of the old school rap (e.g. MC Hammer and Coolio) once in a while.

Same here...I don't much care for rap that's come out within the past ten years...except for Will Smith.

Written By: annonymouse on 09/17/06 at 8:03 pm

Do I like rap? HELL NO!!!  >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/17/06 at 8:23 pm

there are two music genres that I don't like....country...or rap....thus putting them together equals.....crap. ;) :D

Written By: Davester on 09/17/06 at 10:05 pm

Not a fan of rap music as a genre but I dig some individual songs I can amost count on the fingers of both hands...

A few Public Enemy, House of Pain and Dr. Dre files on my hard drive are irrepressibly infectious.  I love them..!  I can't deny it.  I play them when I'm in no particular mood and I don't want to think about what I'm listening to...

The Beatie Boys and L.L. Cool J. I've been listening to since boo.  Their appeal is a mix of nostalgia and infectious grooves with a dash of levity thrown in...

Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick and The Fat Boys are strictly nostalgia...

I listen to no current rap or hip hop music groove ;) on...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/17/06 at 10:40 pm

I just plain don't like rap. It's the sound of it that irritates me. The same with opera, country, techno etc. Some don't like rap, yet many people do. I accept that, not everyone's musical taste is the same.

Maybe the fact that many people on here don't like rap is due to the fact that this board is made of of members who are into predominantly 70s & 80s, when rap was mostly alternative and far from the mainstream, much like (good) rock music is today.

I won't say that all rap is terrible, I'm sure there is at least 1 rap album I'd like. I just haven't found it yet.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/17/06 at 10:43 pm

i loved rap up till 1997 when puffy and will smith came out and made it pop

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/17/06 at 11:18 pm

LOL!i'm actually listening to Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang at the moment  ;D..i like selective rap,mainly old school..but for me,if it's gotta good beat and it's easy to dance to, then... ;)

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/06 at 11:25 pm

LOL!i'm actually listening to Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang at the moment  ;D..i like selective rap,mainly old school..but for me,if it's gotta good beat and it's easy to dance to, then... ;)

Rap songs go good with dance music.  Old School rap is the best.  Maestro Fresh-Wes, Leila K ...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/18/06 at 1:38 am

Yeah, I dont really care for much rap made after about 1992 or so. Some old school is pretty good,but newer rap IMO sucks.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/18/06 at 4:42 am

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of rap in general, but I don't hate it to death either (I do like some scatterred songs here and there). Some of the more mainstream ones like "Hey Ya" are kinda cool.

I'm more of a fan of '80s and '90s pop/rock and ballads, in general.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/18/06 at 8:07 am

I like rap enough, but I certainly don't know the genre in detail.  This board is simply not the place to find the audience for rap.  You're right rap does get dissed here a lot, and people accept it that rap is this inferior form of art that isn't worth bothering with.

This board, unintentionally or not caters to a very mainstream White Anglo audience, so you are not going to find big big rap fans.  The violence, bling bling and angry lyrics can be unrelatable and huge turn offs for many.   Most people here like the lighter, fluffy stuff that Wil Smith or MC Hammer did back in the late 80s.  Or if you want to get really old school, the Sugar Hill Gang or something like that.  Or perhaps something angry but more melodic like Eminem, ofcourse he's a White dude too.

Nearly everyone likes mainstream hip hop acts like Outkast, they have huge cross-over appeal, so much so that I know that in some circles of "really cool people" they act above it, just because everyone likes it.  I remember that happened with Bone Thugs n' Harmony back in the mid 90s, they crossed over so well they lost a lot of their cool factor.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/06 at 11:48 am

I like some and I despise some.

I think many on here don't like rap b/c in all honesty they really don't the genre well enough to judge it. The same would apply to anything that's catered to certain audiences, e.g country, opera, house/techno. It's not accessible to everyone (I don't mean the party stuff), so it's harder for them to relate to it.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/18/06 at 11:52 am

I like rap enough, but I certainly don't know the genre in detail.  This board is simply not the place to find the audience for rap.  You're right rap does get dissed here a lot, and people accept it that rap is this inferior form of art that isn't worth bothering with.

This board, unintentionally or not caters to a very mainstream White Anglo audience, so you are not going to find big big rap fans.  The violence, bling bling and angry lyrics can be unrelatable and huge turn offs for many.   Most people here like the lighter, fluffy stuff that Wil Smith or MC Hammer did back in the late 80s.  Or if you want to get really old school, the Sugar Hill Gang or something like that.  Or perhaps something angry but more melodic like Eminem, ofcourse he's a White dude too.

Nearly everyone likes mainstream hip hop acts like Outkast, they have huge cross-over appeal, so much so that I know that in some circles of "really cool people" they act above it, just because everyone likes it.  I remember that happened with Bone Thugs n' Harmony back in the mid 90s, they crossed over so well they lost a lot of their cool factor.

Those that like Outkast, but claim to hate rap (and I don't mean their actual fans) just know "Hey Ya" and really don't know much more than that from them, which is just sad. The funny thing is that those that despise rap (and I'm not saying everyone) have issues with the originators, which is ironic b/c the same originators of rap are the same as those that formed rock (predominantly, though you did have Jerry Lee Lewis). The irony is really laughable though.

Written By: nally on 09/18/06 at 12:31 pm

there are two music genres that I don't like....country...or rap....thus putting them together equals.....crap. ;) :D

LOL...I often think of rap alone as "crap"...all you gotta do is put a 'c' in front! :D ;D

I don't like country very much either...except for specific songs that have hit the pop charts and have been played on pop stations. Also if a certain song has more of a pop sound to it...a lot of LeAnn Rimes' songs sound like pop (such as "How Do I Live", "I Need You", "Can't Fight The Moonlight").

Written By: bj26 on 09/18/06 at 1:15 pm

I enjoy some spoken word and poetry, some favorites - William S. Burroughs, James Dickey, some Eminem, Murs, some Snoop Dog (relaxing voice), etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/18/06 at 10:10 pm

I like: Stand Up- Ludacris, Get Busy- Sean Paul, Gold Digger- Kanye West, Sugar- Trick Daddy, Overnight Celebrity- Twista, Work It- Missy Elliot, Into You- Fabolous, Ridin- Chamillionaire, Outkast, Kanye, Eminem, Hey Ma- Cam'Ron, How We Do- The Game, etc.

I don't like: D4L, Ms. New Booty- Bubba Sparxxx, Chain Hang Low- Jibbs, Yung Joc, Chicken Noodle Soup- Webstar & Young B (you can tell by the name that this sucks), Dem Franchize Boyz, T-Pain (his voice makes my ears hurt), 2004-present Nelly.

I'm not a big fan of this new so-called "snap music" rap, so lately my liking of rap isn't as high as it once was in say 2003, but I'm still ok with the more "poppy" hip-hop songs.

Written By: bj26 on 09/20/06 at 7:01 am

I like: Stand Up- Ludacris, Get Busy- Sean Paul, Gold Digger- Kanye West, Sugar- Trick Daddy, Overnight Celebrity- Twista, Work It- Missy Elliot, Into You- Fabolous, Ridin- Chamillionaire, Outkast, Kanye, Eminem, Hey Ma- Cam'Ron, How We Do- The Game, etc.

I don't like: D4L, Ms. New Booty- Bubba Sparxxx, Chain Hang Low- Jibbs, Yung Joc, Chicken Noodle Soup- Webstar & Young B (you can tell by the name that this sucks), Dem Franchize Boyz, T-Pain (his voice makes my ears hurt), 2004-present Nelly.

I'm not a big fan of this new so-called "snap music" rap, so lately my liking of rap isn't as high as it once was in say 2003, but I'm still ok with the more "poppy" hip-hop songs.
Ms New Booty ;D.  Do you like Bossy by Kelis?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/06 at 5:44 pm

Ms New Booty ;D.  Do you like Bossy by Kelis?

I do kinda like it.

Written By: bj26 on 09/21/06 at 7:03 am

I do kinda like it.
I like it too for top 20, but I also like some indie rap groups like the Coup, esp. 'Laugh, love...'  and Murs 'DSWG.'  Have you heard these groups?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/21/06 at 2:33 pm

Milo: You think you are so cool, don't you? You think you are so cool. But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain...
Joe Hallenbeck: Play some rap music.

Bruce Willis from The Last Boy Scout

Myself, I don't like rap.  For one reason, is because it killed R&B music.  It has been over 20 years, and R&B has yet to recover.

Written By: bj26 on 09/22/06 at 7:05 am

Milo: You think you are so cool, don't you? You think you are so cool. But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain...
Joe Hallenbeck: Play some rap music.

Bruce Willis from The Last Boy Scout

Myself, I don't like rap.  For one reason, is because it killed R&B music.  It has been over 20 years, and R&B has yet to recover.
There's some R&B out there, how about Sexy Love by Ne-Yo?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 8:45 pm

Yeah, H. Rap Brown---O.G.

"If America don't come around, we're gonna' burn it down".
;)

Written By: woops on 09/23/06 at 2:01 am

Mostly some old school from the 1980's to early '90's

Written By: Mushroom on 09/23/06 at 10:00 am

There's some R&B out there, how about Sexy Love by Ne-Yo?

You said it exactly right, some R&B.  But very little.

The "Rap Craze" in the 1980's killed musicians like Stevie Wonder, Lionel Ritchie, and many others.  And unlike the past where other artists of a similar style replaced them, they were almost universally replaced by rap.  Now unless an artist performs moastly rap, there is simply no way for them to ever break into the R&B charts.  You have the occasional "old school nostalgia" style song, but those are the rare exceptions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/06 at 6:36 pm

But what they call R&B has nothing to do with rhythm and blues.  It's the biggest misnomer.  What's known as "R&B" should really be called "pop vocal."

Written By: Mushroom on 09/26/06 at 11:02 am

But what they call R&B has nothing to do with rhythm and blues.  It's the biggest misnomer.  What's known as "R&B" should really be called "pop vocal."

Yes, and no.

Myself, I like good old "Traditional Blues".  I also like Jazz.  R&B itself covers a large variety of musicians and styles.

For example, both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones considered themselves "Blues Bands".  ZZ Top and The Doobie Brothers both considered themselves R&B.  And even when these groups (or their members) produce songs that are unquestionably "Blues", they end up placed in the Pop and Rock charts.  For a good example, look at "Stand By Me" by John Lennon (1974).  It placed #20 in the US Pop Chart, and did not place on the R&B chart.  But this song (both the song itself and the style) was undeniably "Blues".

I almost never listen to current music.  My rock tends to be 1960-1990.  In the last 2 weeks, I have bought 2 CDs.  Today I got the new Weird Al CD, and last week I bought the remastered "Face The Music" by ELO.  When I want "R&B", I put on something like Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, or some classic Motown.

Of course, maybe it is just because I am old.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/06 at 7:53 pm

Yes, and no.

Myself, I like good old "Traditional Blues".  I also like Jazz.  R&B itself covers a large variety of musicians and styles.

For example, both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones considered themselves "Blues Bands".  ZZ Top and The Doobie Brothers both considered themselves R&B.  And even when these groups (or their members) produce songs that are unquestionably "Blues", they end up placed in the Pop and Rock charts.  For a good example, look at "Stand By Me" by John Lennon (1974).  It placed #20 in the US Pop Chart, and did not place on the R&B chart.  But this song (both the song itself and the style) was undeniably "Blues".

I almost never listen to current music.  My rock tends to be 1960-1990.  In the last 2 weeks, I have bought 2 CDs.  Today I got the new Weird Al CD, and last week I bought the remastered "Face The Music" by ELO.  When I want "R&B", I put on something like Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, or some classic Motown.

Of course, maybe it is just because I am old.   :o

I noticed those remastered ELO albums out on CD.  I used to get "Face the Music" confused with The Moody Blues, because of the lyrics from "The Voice" (Long Distance Voyager, 1981)

Theres so many storms we must rise above
Can you hear the spirit calling
As its carried across the waves
Youre already falling
Its calling you back to face the music

Critics always ranked on the Moody Blues, but I liked them.  ELO had some interesting stuff, but it was generally the "deep cuts" rather than the hits. 

I can't see calling either the Doobie Brothers or ZZ Top R&B.    The Doobies seemed started out as "biker rock" (for lack of a better term), and then went more in a "soul-rock" direction with Michael McDonald.  ZZ Top, again "biker rockers," who became adept at using studio electronics to create the band at its apex in the '80s.  I thought Top created an ingenious formula of roots-rock on a canvas of grungey synths.  It's all over their big hits from the '80s, "Legs," "Sharped Dressed Man," "Gimme All Your Lovin,'" "TV Dinner," etc.  Their harmonies were great too.

Anyway, back to Rap.  Thing about Rap is you have to have something to say.  Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, Ice T, and even Run-DMC had something to say.  Starting with LL Cool J and 2 Live Crew, Rap had a problem.  The gansta-rappers and the porno-rappers had something to say, just nothing worth hearing!
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 8:00 pm

Do not lump LL Cool J in with 2 Live Crew.  LL Cool J is good, and back when I was in elementary school and would literally listen to anything on the radio, I liked his stuff.  He is not a gangsta rapper, either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/06 at 8:12 pm

[quote author=

Written By: twistedwarp on 09/26/06 at 9:50 pm

yes I do like rap  Im hearing people here talkinga bout  Mc Hammer Wtf  .will smith which wasnt real rap. hes more of a pop hip hop movie star. You wanna know about real rap listen to Nas,De La Soul, nappy roots,jay-z,Common, luniz,bizzy bone, A tribe called quest, the beatnuts... theres more baby!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 10:14 pm

Did you quote yourself for no reason or do you think your point was just that damn great?

Written By: twistedwarp on 09/26/06 at 10:31 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 10:32 pm

I have no idea why I quoted myself maybe I pushed the wrong button can I erase that quote for any chance lol?

Do you see a remove link?  Click it.

Written By: twistedwarp on 09/26/06 at 10:33 pm

oh thanks!

Written By: Justin R on 09/26/06 at 11:11 pm

My name is Justin, I'm 16 years old.  I recently discovered this board (I just made a reply on the 90's board about how I wear my watch with the buckle on the top side of the wrist just for looks).  I'll reply to this question so you can get a teen's opinion.   Some of my friends like rap, and some don't.  For me and my girlfriend, there is other music that we like more than rap, although I may listen to it sometimes depending on my mood or what I'm doing,  but it is not my particular favorite.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/27/06 at 9:34 am

yes I do like rap  Im hearing people here talkinga bout  Mc Hammer Wtf  .will smith which wasnt real rap. hes more of a pop hip hop movie star. You wanna know about real rap listen to Nas,De La Soul, nappy roots,jay-z,Common, luniz,bizzy bone, A tribe called quest, the beatnuts... theres more baby!

It all has to do with your age.  Quite a few of us in here remember the "early days" of the rap movement.  And it was quite a bit different then it is today.

Some of the earliest influences were Quartermaster Flash, Malcolm McLaren, and Run-DMC.  They are really some of the first to take Rap and turn it more mainstream.  And at the time, Run-DMC was quite controversial.  I clearly remember the riots that broke out in their Long Beach concert in 1986.  Because of this and other disturbances, a lot of cities actually cancelled their performance.

A few years later, The Beastie Boys, MC Hammer, and DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince brought out a form of Rap that was more Pop, and more "parent friendly".  For many kids, these groups were the first that their parents could not complain.  When the choice is between your kids listening to 2 Live Crew or Jazzy Jeff, it is kinda hard to complain much when the song is "Parent's Just Don't Understand".  Even Hammer was non-threatening, with his Parachute Pants and slick dance moves.

And while Will Smith (The Fresh Prince) was a much more Pop oriented rap, he was hardly a "movie star".  Their career started in 1987, and by 1988 they were opening for groups such as Run-DMC and Public Enemy (and won the first Grammy award for Rap).  He did not even turn to acting until after their popularity started to die off in 1990.

In the late 1980's, rap was totally different then it is now.  The "Pop Rappers" were at the top of the heap, and the "Gangsta" was near the bottom.  The groups that were most popular were those that had "crossover appeal", and could sell to both white and black audiences.  In 1988 I was in Japan listening to Armed Forces Radio, and nobody complained about "Going Back To Cali".  In fact, it became a form of theme song to those that were rotating back to the states.

But 2 years later, things had started to change.  "Me So Horny" was played on Armed Forces Radio for about a week before it was removed because of protests both from service members and from the Japanese civilians.  Within a few weeks, there was suddenly a list of "approved music" that could be played on the radio, and there was very little rap on it.  About the closest to rap was Milli Vanilli and Tarence Trent Darby.

And I am not surprised that MC Hammer is still spoken about with scorn.  He was unique in that he never hid the fact that most of his songs were based on religion.  For some reason, rapping about killing and drug dealing is ok, but not rapping about God.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 8:32 am

It all has to do with your age.  Quite a few of us in here remember the "early days" of the rap movement.  And it was quite a bit different then it is today.

Some of the earliest influences were Quartermaster Flash, Malcolm McLaren, and Run-DMC.  They are really some of the first to take Rap and turn it more mainstream.  And at the time, Run-DMC was quite controversial.  I clearly remember the riots that broke out in their Long Beach concert in 1986.  Because of this and other disturbances, a lot of cities actually cancelled their performance.

A few years later, The Beastie Boys, MC Hammer, and DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince brought out a form of Rap that was more Pop, and more "parent friendly".  For many kids, these groups were the first that their parents could not complain.  When the choice is between your kids listening to 2 Live Crew or Jazzy Jeff, it is kinda hard to complain much when the song is "Parent's Just Don't Understand".  Even Hammer was non-threatening, with his Parachute Pants and slick dance moves.

And while Will Smith (The Fresh Prince) was a much more Pop oriented rap, he was hardly a "movie star".  Their career started in 1987, and by 1988 they were opening for groups such as Run-DMC and Public Enemy (and won the first Grammy award for Rap).  He did not even turn to acting until after their popularity started to die off in 1990.

In the late 1980's, rap was totally different then it is now.  The "Pop Rappers" were at the top of the heap, and the "Gangsta" was near the bottom.  The groups that were most popular were those that had "crossover appeal", and could sell to both white and black audiences.  In 1988 I was in Japan listening to Armed Forces Radio, and nobody complained about "Going Back To Cali".  In fact, it became a form of theme song to those that were rotating back to the states.

But 2 years later, things had started to change.  "Me So Horny" was played on Armed Forces Radio for about a week before it was removed because of protests both from service members and from the Japanese civilians.  Within a few weeks, there was suddenly a list of "approved music" that could be played on the radio, and there was very little rap on it.  About the closest to rap was Milli Vanilli and Tarence Trent Darby.

And I am not surprised that MC Hammer is still spoken about with scorn.  He was unique in that he never hid the fact that most of his songs were based on religion.  For some reason, rapping about killing and drug dealing is ok, but not rapping about God.

Yeah, the very old-school rap, especially pre1986/"Walk This Way" remake, was -- just like what's been around afterwards and ever since -- more urban influenced. Like, guys in the inner city breakdancing on the street with their boomboxes. That's kinda the image I get. Although, it didn't have much suburban appeal until Run DMC and the Beastie Boys (I guess they're sort of both in terms of being "pop" and "controversial").

I agree 1987-'90 was a brief "innocent/pop-chart rap" period. I don't remember actually hearing the term Gangsta Rap until at least 1992, though it may have been around before then.

Check for new replies or respond here...