inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2007: A Godly Year for Movies and Video Games?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/18/06 at 3:49 pm

Is it just me or is 2007 shaping up to be a godly year for movies and video games?  On the movie end, we've got Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers (finally!), Oceans 13, and Rush Hour 3 all coming out over the course of one summer.  Yes, they may all be sequels, but that doesn't change the fact that all these are shaping up to be good movies.

On the video game front, 2007 will see the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 5, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.  It's just all too good to be true!  This year has been rather lackluster for video games, but 2007 looks like it's going to change that soon enough.

I don't know about the music or tv of 2007, but the year is going to be godly for movies and video games.  Just in time too since I graduate in 2007 and I'd rather graduate in a totally awesome year instead of a lackluster one.

Subject: Re: 2007: A Godly Year for Movies and Video Games?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/18/06 at 5:16 pm

Is it just me or is 2007 shaping up to be a godly year for movies and video games?  On the movie end, we've got Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers (finally!), Oceans 13, and Rush Hour 3 all coming out over the course of one summer.  Yes, they may all be sequels, but that doesn't change the fact that all these are shaping up to be good movies.

On the video game front, 2007 will see the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 5, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.  It's just all too good to be true!  This year has been rather lackluster for video games, but 2007 looks like it's going to change that soon enough.

I don't know about the music or tv of 2007, but the year is going to be godly for movies and video games.  Just in time too since I graduate in 2007 and I'd rather graduate in a totally awesome year instead of a lackluster one.

Yes, I think 2007 will be a lot better than 2006 (I sure hope so, it can't get much worse!) Also, the Simpsons movie and Shrek 3 are going to be relased next year. I'm also hoping for better music next year.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/18/06 at 8:18 pm

2007 is going to be an incredible year for movies, from everything I know of now.

2008 is shaping up good too. I know that The Dark Knight, Wolverine, Indiana Jones IV, Sin City 2 and the Watchmen adaptation are all out supposed to come out in '08.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/18/06 at 8:19 pm

Also, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Rob Zombie's Halloween are coming out next year.

Edit: Voltron is set for the summer of '08 as well.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/06 at 12:17 pm

Also, Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is set to release either Dec. '07 or summer '08.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/06 at 12:24 pm

I understand there is a sequel to Mrs Doubtfire in production.

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/09/06 at 9:03 am

Movie-wise, 07' has TONS of potiental, but there's always the possibility that it will dissapoint, just like 02'/03' (which were big LET DOWNS e.g. Matrix Reloaded  >:( )

Never been much of a gammer though

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/06 at 11:39 am

Stand by for another Indiana Jones movie.

Written By: Dave79 on 10/09/06 at 2:10 pm

Stand by for another Indiana Jones movie.

Ive been wanting another Indy film for years, been checking up on it on and off, it seems its took years just get a script the producers will agree on.

--
Dave.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/07 at 2:34 pm

I can't wait until this summer when all these movies finally come out. I saw previews yesterday (when I went to see Night At the Museum) for Evan Almighty (sequel to Bruce Almighty but with Steve Carrell having the lead role). Usually sequels, especially ones without the lead actor from the first one aren't as good, but this one looks hilarious! I also saw a trailor for Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer which looks really good, even better than the first one! They also showed a trailor to the Simpsons movie, which was hilarious! I think 2007 will be as an exciting year for movies as 2005, if not more!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/07 at 7:56 pm

It should be a pretty good year.

Written By: Without Dane on 01/02/07 at 9:50 pm

I must agree.  I was reading a recent issue of Premiere and got pretty excited when I realized how many movies I've been looking forward to are coming out in 2007.

And, in terms of videogames, we're still in the launch for PS3 and Wii - so its gotta be good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/02/07 at 9:53 pm

PS3 needs to pick up the pace though :o

I'm looking forward to Halo 3.  Halo 2 kinda left the story up in the air.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/07 at 10:17 pm

I'm ready for some details on GTAIV.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/02/07 at 10:37 pm

Meet the Robinsons is another movie I want to see. It's coming out in March. The plot sounds interesting, and you can never go wrong with the Disney digital animations.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/02/07 at 10:56 pm

Is it just me or is 2007 shaping up to be a godly year for movies and video games?  On the movie end, we've got Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, The Bourne Ultimatum, Transformers (finally!), Oceans 13, and Rush Hour 3 all coming out over the course of one summer.  Yes, they may all be sequels, but that doesn't change the fact that all these are shaping up to be good movies.

On the video game front, 2007 will see the release of Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy XIII, Devil May Cry 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 5, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.  It's just all too good to be true!  This year has been rather lackluster for video games, but 2007 looks like it's going to change that soon enough.

I don't know about the music or tv of 2007, but the year is going to be godly for movies and video games.  Just in time too since I graduate in 2007 and I'd rather graduate in a totally awesome year instead of a lackluster one.

Yeah, this year is really looking to be a great year for video game's and movies. I'm especially looking forward to Spiderman 3 and Halo 3.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/07 at 6:39 pm

A video game I'm looking forward to is Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/05/07 at 6:52 pm

Meet the Robinsons is another movie I want to see. It's coming out in March. The plot sounds interesting, and you can never go wrong with the Disney digital animations.

Know of any other 2007 movies that aren't sequels? Don't get me wrong, I too am looking forward to "Spider-Man 3", "At World's End" and "Order Of The Phoenix", but there must be more original movies as well!

Just an example, "Zodiac" looks interesting.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/11/07 at 10:00 pm

Now that the summer season is almost over, I can say that 2007 has been a godly year for movies and video games. 300, Transformers, and Spiderman 3 were awesome movies! As for video games, a lot of great games came out for the PS2, PS3, and Wii.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/11/07 at 11:43 pm

gta 4 got pushed to 2008, mgs4 is 2008, FFXIII is 2008, resident evil 5 is 2008. however, in 07 we have rock band, guitar hero 3, HALO 3!!!!!, call of duty 4 modern warfare, assasin's creed, army of 2, bioshock, mass effect, little big planet, kill zone 2, warhawk, lair, and heavenly sword. so yesm 2007 is the best year for videogames in a while. oh, and if you still can't wait for halo 3, check out this website!

http://www.halo3countdown.com/

Written By: sonikuu on 08/12/07 at 2:22 am

gta 4 got pushed to 2008, mgs4 is 2008, FFXIII is 2008, resident evil 5 is 2008. however, in 07 we have rock band, guitar hero 3, HALO 3!!!!!, call of duty 4 modern warfare, assasin's creed, army of 2, bioshock, mass effect, little big planet, kill zone 2, warhawk, lair, and heavenly sword. so yesm 2007 is the best year for videogames in a while. oh, and if you still can't wait for halo 3, check out this website!

http://www.halo3countdown.com/

I've been lurking here for months, but stopped becoming an active poster months ago (never was too active to begin with).  However, let me just say that 2007 is indeed a great year for video games.  Its too bad that so many games got pushed back though.  GTA IV got pushed back and I remember a lot of people thinking that MGS4 would come out this year as well (of course, that didn't happen).  Resident Evil 5 doesn't come until 2008, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed until 2009 (hopefully not!).  I assumed they'd launch Umbrella Chronicles (coming out in November) and RE5 at the same time, but I guess not.  Either way, I have high hopes for it!

The Xbox 360 in my opinion easily has the best holiday lineup of the year.  Halo 3, BioShock, Mass Effect, and others contribute to the Xbox 360's great holiday lineup.  The Wii is a bit lacking in places, but Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Metroid Prime 3 shouldn't disappoint.  Wii sells amazingly well, but its games just haven't matched up (and I own a Wii!).  I think part of the reason is that companies didn't bank on the Wii being as successful as it did, so they either didn't bother to make too many games for it or rushed out its games.  I hope 2008 will be better once companies have seen how great the Wii is selling, but the fact that we know next to nothing about Wii's 2008 lineup outside of Mario Kart worries me a bit.  As for the Playstation 3...please, its sales are in the crapper in a distant third place, I don't need to concern myself with it outside of MGS4 and FFXIII, which aren't worth a $600 game system, even if I do love the MGS series.

Now for the rest of my post.  As far as movies go, this summer has been a great summer and I've been spending a lot of time at the movies this year.  It is definitely a leap up from 2006's summer, which I honestly thought was kind of dull.  The music has been okay.  The fact that Rap has been dying down is great.  Look at the charts and compare them to, say, 2004 and you'll see that Rap has definitely declined.  The new trend seems to be dance music like Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, etc.  Its not the best music style, but I'll take dance music over today's rap.  As for tv, that is the only aspect of the year I'm a bit disappointed in.  Heroes is an amazing show imo, but 24's latest season was a disappointment, I stopped paying attention to Lost ages ago, and the once great Adult Swim is currently on the downslope.

The movies and video games are amazing, the release of the final Harry Potter automatically makes a great book year, and the music is alright except for the rap.  Tv, imo, seems to be 2007's only real weak spot as far as pop culture.  Overall, I'd say 2007 will go down in the books as one of the better 00s years.  Definitely better than 2006, at least, and it definitely gives 2005 (previously my favorite 00s year) a run for its money.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/07 at 11:57 am

I've been lurking here for months, but stopped becoming an active poster months ago (never was too active to begin with).  However, let me just say that 2007 is indeed a great year for video games.  Its too bad that so many games got pushed back though.  GTA IV got pushed back and I remember a lot of people thinking that MGS4 would come out this year as well (of course, that didn't happen).  Resident Evil 5 doesn't come until 2008, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed until 2009 (hopefully not!).  I assumed they'd launch Umbrella Chronicles (coming out in November) and RE5 at the same time, but I guess not.  Either way, I have high hopes for it!

The Xbox 360 in my opinion easily has the best holiday lineup of the year.  Halo 3, BioShock, Mass Effect, and others contribute to the Xbox 360's great holiday lineup.  The Wii is a bit lacking in places, but Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and Metroid Prime 3 shouldn't disappoint.  Wii sells amazingly well, but its games just haven't matched up (and I own a Wii!).  I think part of the reason is that companies didn't bank on the Wii being as successful as it did, so they either didn't bother to make too many games for it or rushed out its games.  I hope 2008 will be better once companies have seen how great the Wii is selling, but the fact that we know next to nothing about Wii's 2008 lineup outside of Mario Kart worries me a bit.  As for the Playstation 3...please, its sales are in the crapper in a distant third place, I don't need to concern myself with it outside of MGS4 and FFXIII, which aren't worth a $600 game system, even if I do love the MGS series.

Now for the rest of my post.  As far as movies go, this summer has been a great summer and I've been spending a lot of time at the movies this year.  It is definitely a leap up from 2006's summer, which I honestly thought was kind of dull.  The music has been okay.  The fact that Rap has been dying down is great.  Look at the charts and compare them to, say, 2004 and you'll see that Rap has definitely declined.  The new trend seems to be dance music like Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, etc.  Its not the best music style, but I'll take dance music over today's rap.  As for tv, that is the only aspect of the year I'm a bit disappointed in.  Heroes is an amazing show imo, but 24's latest season was a disappointment, I stopped paying attention to Lost ages ago, and the once great Adult Swim is currently on the downslope.

The movies and video games are amazing, the release of the final Harry Potter automatically makes a great book year, and the music is alright except for the rap.  Tv, imo, seems to be 2007's only real weak spot as far as pop culture.  Overall, I'd say 2007 will go down in the books as one of the better 00s years.  Definitely better than 2006, at least, and it definitely gives 2005 (previously my favorite 00s year) a run for its money.

Yeah, I agree with you about the Wii being a cool system but not having that many games, yet. Super Mario Galaxy is what I'm looking forward to, and I'm glad that's not getting pushed back into '08. The Wii has different types of games, more interactive ones that let you take advantage of the motion control remote features, like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Boogie, etc. Right now, the best things about the Wii is it plays all my Gamecube games, and downloading the old school Nintendo games on the Virtual Console.

I also agree about the TV shows being dull so far this year, but the fall season look like they have some interesting and funny shows premiering, like Cavemen, Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Journeyman, etc.

As for music, I like the mix of rap and electro dance-pop. Even 50 Cent has a new song with that style, "Ayo Technology" feat. J T-Lake. Have any of you heard it? It sounds like music from a Nintendo game, lol (esp. like Castlevania).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/12/07 at 12:53 pm

The PS3 has dropped in price, as has the Xbox 360.  If you do want to get the MGS game or whatever, now might be a good time.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/13/07 at 9:03 pm

300, Smokin' Aces, Grindhouse, Spider-Man 3 , Hot Fuzz,  Shrek the Third, Transformers and The Simpsons Movie.

Where all the best films, I have seen this year.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/13/07 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, I agree with you about the Wii being a cool system but not having that many games, yet. Super Mario Galaxy is what I'm looking forward to, and I'm glad that's not getting pushed back into '08. The Wii has different types of games, more interactive ones that let you take advantage of the motion control remote features, like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Boogie, etc. Right now, the best things about the Wii is it plays all my Gamecube games, and downloading the old school Nintendo games on the Virtual Console.

I also agree about the TV shows being dull so far this year, but the fall season look like they have some interesting and funny shows premiering, like Cavemen, Chuck, Pushing Daisies, Journeyman, etc.

As for music, I like the mix of rap and electro dance-pop. Even 50 Cent has a new song with that style, "Ayo Technology" feat. J T-Lake. Have any of you heard it? It sounds like music from a Nintendo game, lol (esp. like Castlevania).

I like Ayo. It's catchy and has a good beat and blows the Hurricane Chris stuff away so I like it. One of his other new songs "I Get Money" is also pretty good, his lyrics are pretty disappointing (as per usual) regardless the songs are better than most hip-hop right now so I don't mind them that much. There's a few new hip-hop songs besides Ayo Tech and I get Money that are decent as well, Hip-hop Police by Chamillionaire, International Players Anthem by UGK feat. Outkast, Way I Are by Timbaland, Kayne's Stonger, and Keyshia Cole's new jam Let It Go which is awesome.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/15/07 at 10:48 am

gta 4 got pushed to 2008, mgs4 is 2008,

GTA IV and MGS 4 got pushed back to 2008? That sucks, I thought for sure they were coming out this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...