inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: have you had it with billy mays

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/18/06 at 5:56 pm

have you had it with billy mays?? if you don't know who he is....he is today's Ron Popeill and mr. mays hawks everything the Ding King,Oxy Clean,Oragan*sp glow Super Orange Glow Kaboom,and other products so if you see him what you think

Subject: Re: have you had it with billy mays

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/06 at 6:00 pm

I've heard of Willie Mays, but I never heard o' no "Billy Mays."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/06 at 9:39 pm

I've heard of Willie Mays, but I never heard o' no "Billy Mays."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Billy Mays is an annoying infomercial host.  "Oxi-Clean!  The stain specalist" O0

http://www.lions-share-ent.com/Images/billy_oxyclean.jpg

Billy Mays is a stain.  Maybe Oxi-Clean will make him go away ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/06 at 10:09 pm

Billy Mays is an annoying infomercial host.  "Oxi-Clean!  The stain specalist" O0

Billy Mays is a stain.  Maybe Oxi-Clean will make him go away ;D

Oh, that dork. 
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/18/06 at 10:11 pm

I change the channel when I see his commercials.  I really have no opinion on him either way.

Written By: Jessica on 09/18/06 at 10:11 pm

He may be an annoying dork, but some of that stuff he peddles actually does work.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/18/06 at 10:13 pm

He may be an annoying dork, but some of that stuff he peddles actually does work.

We have quite a few of them and yes, they do work.  I love that Bam stuff that smells like oranges.

Written By: Jessica on 09/18/06 at 10:17 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Gis on 09/19/06 at 3:34 am

Oh we have one of those in the U.K called 'Barry Scott' he advertises the cleaner Cilit Bang !

Written By: karen on 09/19/06 at 4:12 am

Oh we have one of those in the U.K called 'Barry Scott' he advertises the cleaner Cilit Bang !

My neice has all his adverts on her MySpace page

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/19/06 at 6:43 am

Yes, it does.  I use Kaboom in the bathroom and it works pretty well.....I have to say, though, I've NEVER had a stain disappear as fast as they do on TV ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/06 at 9:42 pm

Uh, what kind of cleaner is that again?  Popular with the missus, I suppose.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Written By: Jessica on 09/19/06 at 10:26 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!  I thought that too when I first read it!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/21/06 at 9:00 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 9:02 pm

LOL.. U know, His stuff is pretty good.  Im one of the sick people who LOve pd programs that peddle stuff.  there is something so cheesy about them.. I like that lady that makes those pocket sandwiches and stuff, i think her name is Kathy.... shes funny to me.. LOL

My boyfriend thinks I need help, Maybe I do!
lol

I love infomercials.  I specifically stay up late on Saturdays and Sundays so I can watch them.  My favorites are for the Time-Life music compilations they always have.  They're 30 minutes of listening to great music.  Sometimes they'll show ones for the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on DVD or Laugh-In, and it's fun watching the clips.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/21/06 at 11:43 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/21/06 at 11:44 pm

Oh... I love those too.. what about the Dean Martin Roasts? Hilarious!

Oh yes.....love those too. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/06 at 1:35 am

I love infomercials.  I specifically stay up late on Saturdays and Sundays so I can watch them.  My favorites are for the Time-Life music compilations they always have.  They're 30 minutes of listening to great music.  Sometimes they'll show ones for the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on DVD or Laugh-In, and it's fun watching the clips.

Those Time Life ones are great.  70s Music Explosion with Barry Williams, Malt Shop Memories with Bobby Rydell. Superstars of Country with Kenny Rogers and The Lifetime of Romance with Bobby Vinton.  I watch them over and over again :D

They've even got one for Universal Music called the 80s Gold collection as hosted by Rick Springfield

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/22/06 at 8:06 am

[quote author=

Written By: Red Ant on 09/23/06 at 5:33 pm

have you had it with billy mays?? if you don't know who he is....he is today's Ron Popeill and mr. mays hawks everything the Ding King,Oxy Clean,Oragan*sp glow Super Orange Glow Kaboom,and other products so if you see him what you think

Ding King - that's the dent puller, right? It doesn't work too well.
In my experience Oxy Clean only works well on stains that are still wet. You'll notice the commercials never show them applying the stuff to dried stains. I haven't tried the other stuff.

Billy Mays is no Ron Popeill. The Rotisserie cooker works great, as advertised. Ron Popeill at least seems genuinely interested in his products, whereas Billy Mays looks like he'd slip one in you if he could make a buck from it.

"Order in the next five minutes and you'll also receive a free can of Super Lube! Super Lube works great on everything from door hinges, chastity locks, frozen nuts, anuses, rusted bolts...."  ;D

I'd rather watch color test patterns than Billy Mays.

Written By: La Roche on 09/25/06 at 6:32 am

Yeah, I remember when those commericals first came on.. they didn't actually have him in to begin with, just an annoying voice raving about 'Cilit Bang'. Anywho, toward the end of the commerical the obnoxious voice would basically repeat CILIT BANG in a loud voice. I was sure that they were saying Clit Bang and was really curious as to how stimulating sex could clean the house.

Written By: Gis on 09/25/06 at 6:47 am

Well I must admit the limescale remover is really good even if I do hate the name. The penny test DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 12:41 am

Those Time Life ones are great.  70s Music Explosion with Barry Williams, Malt Shop Memories with Bobby Rydell. Superstars of Country with Kenny Rogers and The Lifetime of Romance with Bobby Vinton.  I watch them over and over again :D

They've even got one for Universal Music called the 80s Gold collection as hosted by Rick Springfield

Yeah, back in 1995, there was an hourlong infomercial for Sounds of the Eighties, or at least part of it. It was hosted by Martha Quinn, former MTV VJ. I still have part of it on tape (I was switching back and forth between something else at the time, I think).

BTW, Billy Mays is cool with me, although I wonder if he always yells like that when he's at home or something. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/06 at 6:37 am

am I the only crazy who actually thinks that he is somewhat attractive? :D  I mean...he does have a nice smile :)

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMinKEBlF00oADdWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=1219bgu8a/EXP=1159357002/**http%3a//www.stogiebros.com/music/billymays.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 09/26/06 at 6:40 am

am I the only crazy who actually thinks that he is somewhat attractive? :D  I mean...he does have a nice smile :)

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMinKEBlF00oADdWjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=1219bgu8a/EXP=1159357002/**http%3a//www.stogiebros.com/music/billymays.jpg

He looks like Al Borland.

http://www.dumbdistraction.com/Images/alborland.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/06 at 6:40 am

yes....but with a nicer smile...and somewhat better hair! ;D

Written By: La Roche on 09/26/06 at 8:03 am

yes....but with a nicer smile...and somewhat better hair! ;D

You take that back!

Al is a handsome fella!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/26/06 at 11:59 am

Billy Mays is no Ron Popeill. The Rotisserie cooker works great, as advertised. Ron Popeill at least seems genuinely interested in his products, whereas Billy Mays looks like he'd slip one in you if he could make a buck from it.

Well, Ron Popeil is an inventer.  In fact, he has over 100 patents to his name.  And almost everything he has pitched is something that he himself has invented.  And in addition, he actually uses his own products.  About 2 years ago I saw a program about Ron.  He actually uses his "Inside the egg shell egg scrambler" on an almost daily basis.  And that spray on paint to cover bald spots?  He actually uses that too.  And he really does carry a "Pocket Fisherman" in the glovebox of his car.

Billy Mays is just another salesman.  He started on Home Shopping Network.  He is simply a pitch man, with no connection to the product.  In fact, I am sure that if Simple Green or 409 offered him more money, we would see him on TV tomorrow pitching one of those products.

Ron on the other hand only pitches his own products. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/26/06 at 9:52 pm

am I the only crazy who actually thinks that he is somewhat attractive? :D  I mean...he does have a nice smile :)

No offense Erin, but he is one ugly motherf*cker.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/27/06 at 9:22 am

[quote author=

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/27/06 at 9:40 am

oh those are great! It gives me that retro feeling when I watch them. I always seem to be up when the infomercial about the "magic bullet" is on...you know, that little blender/mixer thing that works in like 5 seconds.....I also saw this really cool vacuum demonstration of this wet/dry vac....I always wanna buy the stuff that I see on there...but I usually don't break down and do it. :D

I thought I was the only one who would sit and watch infomercials.  I just watched the "magic bullet" one the other day.  Time Life are my all time favorites though.  I also love to watch the Home Shopping Network even though I've never bought a thing from them.  The Joan Rivers jewelry collection is my favorite.  ::)

I'm also a big fan of Oxy Clean.  I spill on myself on a regular basis and need all the help I can get!  I just bought the new detergent ball at the grocery store the other day, but I haven't tried it yet.

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/07 at 1:30 pm

I kind of miss the Barry Scott ads.  "BAM!  And the dirt is gone!".  Over here, they are now using commercials inspired by that techno remix song of Cilit Bang that made noise in the UK

U know what I get sick of?  All those ads on Peachtree TV (formerly TBS) for colleges.  That one where the woman with the big teeth wearing the headset says: "I hope that commercial has inspired you to pick up the phone and call us to get your free brochure" and something about how she'll be happy to answer all of my questions

I have a question.  Why are you so annoying?  If anything, those commercials have inspired me to change the channel ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/16/07 at 6:47 pm

I was in Target the other day...and I saw a whole shelf of "as seen on TV" items...and there was Billy Mays!!! I told my husband that I used to have a major crush on him! LOL! ;D

Written By: nally on 04/15/09 at 6:38 pm

I find his ads rather annoying. However, many of his products, as others on here have said, do seem to work....in one way or another. We have Oxi-Clean and Kaboom!; they're so so. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/15/09 at 6:38 pm

Had what?
???

Written By: nally on 04/15/09 at 6:46 pm

Had what?
???

good question, I've always wondered what "it" really refers to when one says, "I've had it with (so & so)"

Written By: SoulAsylum on 04/16/09 at 5:32 am

I watch those commercials for entertainment.    "EVEN LACE!!!!!!!!"  THe guy gets so damn excited.

I tell you who's really funny is Matthew Lesko.  The guy that "Can show you 15,000 ways to get free money from the government!!!" and he has all of those question marks all over his suit.

Now that guy is plain nuts!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/16/09 at 8:49 am

What about Vince Offer?

He puts the sham, in Sham Wow!

Written By: anabel on 04/18/09 at 8:47 am

This is timely.....on another thread we were talking about Pitchmen, and then this happens.  One of our morning DJ's here, MJ, has had a long running feud with Billy but has been trying to get him on the show anyway.  The other day it finally happened, and he brought the other guy from the new show with him.  I guess Billy and MJ have officially kissed and made up.... ::)  Billy went thru a drive thru at McDonalds and placed an order-here's how that went:

http://mj.933flz.com/pages/mainfeed.html?feed=204719&article=5295316

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/09 at 11:50 am

The only thing that bothers me about Billy Maze is that awful dyed beard and moustache.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/09 at 1:27 pm

The only thing that bothers me about Billy Maze is that awful dyed beard and moustache.   ;D

He grooms it with his Steam Buddy on the set before they start shooting!

I watch those commercials for entertainment.    "EVEN LACE!!!!!!!!"  THe guy gets so damn excited.

Whoa! Down boy!
8-P

Written By: Lindee on 04/18/09 at 5:31 pm

This is timely.....on another thread we were talking about Pitchmen, and then this happens.  One of our morning DJ's here, MJ, has had a long running feud with Billy but has been trying to get him on the show anyway.  The other day it finally happened, and he brought the other guy from the new show with him.  I guess Billy and MJ have officially kissed and made up.... ::)  Billy went thru a drive thru at McDonalds and placed an order-here's how that went:

http://mj.933flz.com/pages/mainfeed.html?feed=204719&article=5295316

I love it.

Check for new replies or respond here...