inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Skinny Models.

Written By: Gis on 09/19/06 at 3:29 am

'Models

One of Spain's most prestigious fashion shows has agreed to ban overly skinny models from taking part. The organisers of Madrid Fashion Week are using the Body Mass Index - a calculation based on height and weight - to reject models that are too thin. This report from Danny Wood:

Listen to the story
The Spanish fashion industry is taking a stand against waif thin models. Madrid Fashion Week may not be equal to the catwalks of Paris or New York, but organisers are turning away women they say are too underweight. Last year's fashion parade led to protests from medical associations and women's rights groups, who complained that the participants were unhealthily skinny.

In response to pressure from the local government, the Association of Fashion Designers has agreed to use a calculation known as the Body Mass Index, based on weight and height to reject excessively thin models from this year's show. The World Health Organisation says a person's BMI should be between eighteen-and-a-half and about twenty-five. Organisers of Madrid Fashion Week have decided to ban underweight models who have a BMI of less than eighteen.

The Association of Fashion Designers says thirty per cent of would be participants fail this test, including Spanish top model, Esther Canadas, who reportedly has a BMI of fourteen. At this year's fashion week, models as thin as Esther Canadas will be offered medical treatment. Madrid's local government says it wants to set a more positive, healthy image of beauty for teenagers to follow. Spain's Anorexia and Bulimia Association says if designers refuse to follow these voluntary restrictions the government should legislate to ban thin models.'

I've been very interested by these reports sparked by the death of a young russian model who stepped off the catwalk, collapsed and died. It later transpired she had eaten nothing but green leaves and diet coke for 6 months and basically her vital organs failed. I find it completely appaling that the British Fashoin houses and model agencies have refused point blank to even concider any kind of  similar move and say they wouldn't dream of using 'large models', lets bear in mind their idea of a large model is a U.K size 10 which is a U.S size 6 !?!
I saw an interview with the designer Amanda Wakeley yesterday who said she only uses 'norma'l sized women for her models which translates to a size 8 or 10, that's still very small especially as most models are over 5ft 9' Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Skinny Models.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/19/06 at 4:55 am

When will people finally realize that it's not the size of the woman (or lack thereof) that matters, but rather what she does with it? Size 0 or size 18, women can be attactive and sexy.

Speaking as a guy, I can honestly say I have NEVER thought of a woman as a "size" or "BMI".  Beauty, yes, but I don't find the current trend of anorexic models appealing at all.

I don't watch fashion shows any more (not that I watched many in the first place) because, IMO, they tell young girls/women that a certain size and outfit is what is "in".

It's kind of funny, confidence and intelligence are the main things I find sexy in a woman. Those traits aren't easily conveyed while on the catwalk, but nothing says to me "I have no self-esteem, and therefore conform to what my manager thinks the people want/what I think is in" more than starving oneself half to death to look "sexy."

Honestly, who wants a mate that looks like they are about to die?

Of course, I realize that many women don't try to look this way (the waif look), and there is nothing wrong with that. My above comments aren't directed at anyone who is of small frame or size.

Women, just be yourselves, whether that's 90 pounds or 200+.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/19/06 at 6:05 am

It is all politically correct claptrap.

I mean, if somebody wanted to hold a fashion show for, say, 450 pound women's wear, and somebody else proposed to ban it or make it illegal, the world would be up in arms about such "discrimination".

But if it is an 85-pound model then it is apparently acceptable to castigate her ad tell her she is unhealthy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/06 at 9:49 pm

I mean, if somebody wanted to hold a fashion show for, say, 450 pound women's wear, and somebody else proposed to ban it or make it illegal, the world would be up in arms about such "discrimination".

But if it is an 85-pound model then it is apparently acceptable to castigate her ad tell her she is unhealthy.

It's not just that she's 85 pounds, she's 85 pounds and 5' 11"!
:o

I don't find models sexy, or even attractive.  A model is just a walking store mannequin.  Real beauty is not skin deep.  So-called "political correctness" has nothing to do with the issue. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/06 at 9:52 pm

Heroin Chic:  Because it takes that kind of marketing to convince guys that farking a bag of antlers constitutes a good time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/06 at 10:11 pm

Heroin Chic:  Because it takes that kind of marketing to convince guys that farking a bag of antlers constitutes a good time.

Heroin is a great weight loss program, but it does take quite a bit of make up to mask that hepatitis-yellow pallor!  Then it takes even more makeup to cover the grand trunk railroad up and down your limbs!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/ky.gif

Written By: Jessica on 09/19/06 at 10:20 pm

When will people finally realize that it's not the size of the woman (or lack thereof) that matters, but rather what she does with it? Size 0 or size 18, women can be attactive and sexy.

Speaking as a guy, I can honestly say I have NEVER thought of a woman as a "size" or "BMI".  Beauty, yes, but I don't find the current trend of anorexic models appealing at all.

I don't watch fashion shows any more (not that I watched many in the first place) because, IMO, they tell young girls/women that a certain size and outfit is what is "in".

It's kind of funny, confidence and intelligence are the main things I find sexy in a woman. Those traits aren't easily conveyed while on the catwalk, but nothing says to me "I have no self-esteem, and therefore conform to what my manager thinks the people want/what I think is in" more than starving oneself half to death to look "sexy."

Of course, I realize that many women don't try to look this way (the waif look), and there is nothing wrong with that. My above comments aren't directed at anyone who is of small frame or size.

I love you.

They're not saying that obese women have to be in these shows. They're saying that their BMI has to measure to their height. I think it's a good thing because girls today are so convinced they must be skin and bones instead of an actual NORMAL weight. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that you'd rather f*ck Kate Moss over Sophie Dahl?

It's not just that she's 85 pounds, she's 85 pounds and 5' 11"!
:o

I don't find models sexy, or even attractive.  A model is just a walking store mannequin.  Real beauty is not skin deep.  So-called "political correctness" has nothing to do with the issue. 

Exactly.

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/06 at 12:19 am

Spread the meme.

Go on.  Just say it.  Next time a supermodel shows up in your conversation, whether you're male or female, just drop it in there. "$supermodel_name?  Cute face.  I might hit it, but it'd be like farking (umm, or for you ladies, make something up here) a bag of antlers."

If anyone has a problem, follow up.  "I'm not saying I want her to be forcefed a stick of butter, but would it kill her to eat a sammich?  Doesn't hafta be PB&J on Wonder bread, but would a pastrami on rye kill her?"

And if that still doesn't work, go back to the bag of antlers.

In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks, I'm just planting seeds.  Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know.  You try, you do what you can...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 12:59 am

Spread the meme.

Go on.  Just say it.  Next time a supermodel shows up in your conversation, whether you're male or female, just drop it in there. "$supermodel_name?  Cute face.  I might hit it, but it'd be like farking (umm, or for you ladies, make something up here) a bag of antlers."

If anyone has a problem, follow up.  "I'm not saying I want her to be forcefed a stick of butter, but would it kill her to eat a sammich?   Doesn't hafta be PB&J on Wonder bread, but would a pastrami on rye kill her?"

And if that still doesn't work, go back to the bag of antlers.

In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks, I'm just planting seeds.  Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know.  You try, you do what you can...

In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks: (censored, censored, censored, censored).
I can't even paraphrase what he said about selling-out, but believe me, it was trenchant!
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/06 at 6:06 am

Then it takes even more makeup to cover the grand trunk railroad up and down your limbs!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/ky.gif

That's why savvy addicts inject between their toes...

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/20/06 at 6:09 am

I love you.

They're not saying that obese women have to be in these shows. They're saying that their BMI has to measure to their height. I think it's a good thing because girls today are so convinced they must be skin and bones instead of an actual NORMAL weight. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that you'd rather f*ck Kate Moss over Sophie Dahl?

Exactly.

;D

Hey, I'd party with Kate Moss...  :P

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/06 at 9:32 pm

Hey, I'd party with Kate Moss...  :P

Magnum XM:  "Holds up against a 10-point buck, so you won't have to!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/06 at 9:43 pm

Is "party" a euphemism for something here?
::)

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/21/06 at 3:03 am

I agree. Of course its always prefered for a person to be healthy. Being rail-thin or too large are both unhealthy.

But you have a good point. Most women are capable of being attractive, it only takes effort. I think in the past a lot of larger girls haven't even tried, because thats the message society has sent them, "you can't be attractive". However the last few years a lot more larger women dress in nice clothes, get their hair done, wear make-up...

Written By: Red Ant on 09/22/06 at 3:57 am

I love you.

I'm flattered, but won't your husband track me down and kill me, or you, or the both of us?  ;) :-*

I agree. Of course its always prefered for a person to be healthy. Being rail-thin or too large are both unhealthy.

But you have a good point. Most women are capable of being attractive, it only takes effort. I think in the past a lot of larger girls haven't even tried, because thats the message society has sent them, "you can't be attractive". However the last few years a lot more larger women dress in nice clothes, get their hair done, wear make-up...

Thanks. For me it's the women who don't intentionally (maybe subliminally...) try to be sexy, but who are anyway, that always get my heart racing. I can't explain (a Who parody?...) how that works exactly, but in the words of Paul McCartney it's "Something in the way she moves."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 7:18 pm

I'm flattered, but won't your husband track me down and kill me, or you, or the both of us?  ;) :-*

Thanks. For me it's the women who don't intentionally (maybe subliminally...) try to be sexy, but who are anyway, that always get my heart racing. I can't explain (a Who parody?...) how that works exactly, but in the words of Paul McCartney it's "Something in the way she moves."

Those were the words of George Harrison, but inspiring words nonetheless!
:-\\

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/22/06 at 7:21 pm

Yup. Btw, Sinatra once said that he thought "Something" was probably the greatest love song of the 20th century.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/06 at 7:24 pm

Yup. Btw, Sinatra once said that he thought "Something" was probably the greatest love song of the 20th century.

Sinatra was so often a la cosa nostra-type lout, but sometimes he was a cool dude!
:)

Written By: Jessica on 09/22/06 at 9:07 pm

;D

I'm giving you applause just because you are cool.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/23/06 at 5:22 pm

woops!
;D

I'm giving you applause just because you are cool.

Thanks! I knew investing in a good central air system would pay off!  ;)

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/28/06 at 1:41 pm

I think its great that there is a BAN on it. Some of these girls are dying to be thin and it doesn't look attractive at all. Healthy thin yes, but stick anorexia thin NO! Woman have curves and look WAY better with them. Whats even grossier is seeing bones jet out in places like breast bones. It looks so OLD and haggard IMHO.

Who in the hell got this bright idea to have these women starve themselves?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/06 at 9:17 pm

I think its great that there is a BAN on it. Some of these girls are dying to be thin and it doesn't look attractive at all. Healthy thin yes, but stick anorexia thin NO! Woman have curves and look WAY better with them. Whats even grossier is seeing bones jet out in places like breast bones. It looks so OLD and haggard IMHO.

Who in the hell got this bright idea to have these women starve themselves?

That's what the man said, "who wants to make love to a bag of antlers?"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...