inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Timberlake earns first no.1 album; FutureSex/LoveSounds sells 684k in 1st week

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/06 at 6:33 pm

Billboard 200:
#1 : Futuresex / Lovesounds (Justin Timberlake) 684k
#2 : Continuum (John Mayer) 300k
#3 : B'day (Beyonce Knowles) 162k
#4 : Face The Promise (Bob Seger) 150k
#5 : Modern Times (Bob Dylan) 93k
#6 : Coming Home (Lionel Richie) 75k
#7 : Extreme Behavior (Hinder) 64k
#8 : Danity Kane 62k
#9 : Amputechture (The Mars Volta) 59k
#10: All The Right Reasons (Nickelback) 57k

Timberlake Earns First No. 1 Album With 'FutureSex'

September 20, 2006, 11:30 AM ET
Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In a major week for new releases, Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" (Jive) rises to the top of The Billboard 200 with 684,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's the artist's first No. 1; his solo debut, "Justified," entered at No. 2 with 439,000 copies in 2002.

John Mayer makes his sixth appearance on The Billboard 200 in five years with "Continuum" (Aware/Columbia), which debuts at No. 2 with 300,000. Its 2003 predecessor, "Heavier Things," entered at No. 1 with 317,000. "Continuum" crowns the Top Rock Albums and Top Internet Albums charts this week as well.

After debuting at No. 1 last week, Beyonce's "B'Day" slips to No. 3 with 162,000 copies, a whopping sales decrease of 70%. With his first album in more than a decade, Bob Seger enters at No. 4 with "Face the Promise." This Hideout/Capitol effort marks Seger's sixth visit to the chart's top five and first since 1986's "Like a Rock" peaked at No. 3.

Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" slips 3-5 with 93,000 copies, a sales dip of 27%. At No. 6, Lionel Richie's "Coming Home" (Island) lands him in the top 10 for the first time since 1986's "Dancing on the Ceiling." The set moved 75,000 copies, Richie's best one-week sum since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991.

Hinder's "Extreme Behavior" continues to climb up the top 10, reaching its peak position of No. 7 after 33 weeks on the chart. The Universal Republic effort moved 64,000 with a 19% sales increase. Danity Kane's self-titled Bad Boy release falls 4-8 with 62,000 (-24%).

Click to learn more...
The Mars Volta's Universal set "Amputechture" bows at No. 9 with 59,000. The group's "Frances The Mule" fared better in 2005 with 123,000 units and a No. 4 debut.

Descending 8-10 in its 50th week on the chart, Nickelback's "All the Right Reasons" (Roadrunner) rounds out the top tier with 57,000 and a sales decrease of 3%.

The second volume to the Hollywood soundtrack to "Grey's Anatomy," with songs from artists like Gomez, KT Tunstall and Jim Noir, bows at No. 14 with 46,000. Papa Roach's "The Paramour Sessions" (Geffen) and Barenaked Ladies' "Barenaked Ladies Are Me" (Desperation) debut at No. 16 and No. 17, respectively, both selling 37,000. Moving 32,000, Black Label Society's "Shot to Hell" (Roadrunner) enters at No. 21. Mastodon earns its best week ever on the chart, with the No. 32 entry of "Blood Mountain" (Warner Bros.), which sold 24,000.

Other big entries this week include Madeleine Peyroux's "Half the Perfect World" (Rounder, No. 33, 24,000), Daz' "So So Gangsta" (Virgin, No. 35, 23,0000), Norma Jean's "Redeemer" (Tooth & Nail, No. 38, 21,000) and TV On The Radio's Billboard 200 debut "Return to Cookie Mountain" (Interscope, No. 41, 21,000).

At 10.05 million units, overall CD sales are up 5.6% from last week's count and up 0.9% compared to the same week a year ago. Sales for 2006 are down 5% compared to 2005 at 374 million units.

Subject: Re: Timberlake earns first no.1 album; FutureSex/LoveSounds sells 684k in 1st we

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 6:40 pm

I'm not surprised, it's a great album.  Very different that Justified....this one is more hip-hop/dance than the last one.  I'm glad that he was able to find success out of the shadow of NSYNC.  I knew that if went out on his own, he could make it work.

Subject: Re: Timberlake earns first no.1 album; FutureSex/LoveSounds sells 684k in 1st we

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/20/06 at 6:41 pm

What a pathetic joke.  I can't imagine anyone worse right now in the music industry than Justin Timberlake.  His song "SexyBack" sounds no different from anything Rihanna, Nelly Furtado or Shakira have released this year

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 6:44 pm

What a pathetic joke.  I can't imagine anyone worse right now in the music industry than Justin Timberlake.  His song "SexyBack" sounds no different from anything Rihanna, Nelly Furtado or Shakira have released this year

I have songs by the artists you mentioned and SexyBack sounds nothing like that.  Nothing.  Also, if you don't like him.....why post in a thread about him?  Hmmmm.  He's a hell of a lot better than half the so-called "musicians" out there right now, as it is.  At least he plays instruments and writes his own songs.....I'd rather someone take an interest in their work than just singing what some doltish producer shoved in front of their faces. 

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/06 at 6:52 pm

Nelly Furtado and Rihanna's releases were not bad. Shakira could have done better though. "Sexyback" isn't the only song on the album ya know, I think it's alright, but "My Love" on the other hand is excellent.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 6:55 pm

Nelly Furtado and Rihanna's releases were not bad. Shakira could have done better though. "Sexyback" isn't the only song on the album ya know, I think it's alright, but "My Love" on the other hand is excellent.

I gotta go with "Love Stoned (I Think She Knows Interlude)".

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/06 at 7:00 pm

[quote author=

Subject: Re: Timberlake earns first no.1 album; FutureSex/LoveSounds sells 684k in 1st week

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/06 at 7:31 pm

I'm not surprised this album has done so well so quickly.  Seeing the chart progress of "SexyBack", it was pretty much a given that the album would shoot to the top!

For a while, I thought this album wouldn't do well, as it took so long for him to go from Justified to now, his fans might have lost interest, but it looks like they'll be around for a while as will he :)

I saw him perform "SexyBack" on the Tonight Show the other night.  First time I'd really listened to the whoel song, and it sounded pretty good

Subject: Re: Timberlake earns first no.1 album; FutureSex/LoveSounds sells 684k in 1st week

Written By: guest on 09/20/06 at 7:46 pm

I liked Justins song on the Tonight Show too...it's just I think he used a special microphone to create a 'tinny' sound (remember that Cher song Believe in Love- she had some other electronic funk going too), try doing that on a normal stage!

and did Sinatra ever have to resort to that..I think all they did with his voice is a soft echo... 

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/06 at 10:22 pm

I'm not surprised this album has done so well so quickly.  Seeing the chart progress of "SexyBack", it was pretty much a given that the album would shoot to the top!

For a while, I thought this album wouldn't do well, as it took so long for him to go from Justified to now, his fans might have lost interest, but it looks like they'll be around for a while as will he :)

I saw him perform "SexyBack" on the Tonight Show the other night.  First time I'd really listened to the whoel song, and it sounded pretty good

Yeah I like it, Timberlake and Timbaland (lol) have delivered a solid album again.

Written By: Zoso on 09/21/06 at 8:06 am

This album kicks ass. He overdid the whole Prince/Michael Jackson wannabe thing on this album, but that's OK, I love him for it. Prince and Michael Jackson aren't releasing anything decent, so a cheap imitation of the two will do for now.

Check for new replies or respond here...