inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will an era ever be cool AFTER its retro revival?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 9:29 pm

Once a given nostalgia period fades away, is it (at least in being at the forefront of influencing what's popular) gone forever? I kinda worry that in five or ten more years, that might happen to the '80s, where they'll be too old to even be retro cool. :(

Another interesting point I just thought of: Since these revivals usually are anywhere from 15 to 30 years after the original period, if we count c. 1955 as the beginning of "modern" pop culture, we're just about at the point to start "double nostalgizing" (although the '50s never seemed to come back again when the '70s revival was in full force). :D

To use another example, since the Woodstock '60s were the retro period from about 1986-'92, once that era itself becomes revived, will the late '60s, by pure default, become retro cool a second time since it, too, was cool and influenced alot of what was popular then?

Subject: Re: Will an era ever be cool AFTER its retro revival?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:01 pm

The truly cool was cool is cool and always will be cool. 

Fr'instance, Cecil Taylor was, is, and will always be cool, and I'm going to see him play piano tonight!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/orangehat.gif

...and I don't care if it's the last thing I ever do!

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/6/7/2/7/507276_356x237.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:08 pm

The truly cool was cool is cool and always will be cool. 

Fr'instance, Cecil Taylor was, is, and will always be cool, and I'm going to see him play piano tonight!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/orangehat.gif

...and I don't care if it's the last thing I ever do!

http://image.listen.com/img/356x237/6/7/2/7/507276_356x237.jpg

Do you think some stuff, like Hendrix, will sorta become "forever cool" and not necesarilly tied down to the era they came from?

^ Or is that what you were already saying? ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:09 pm

Some stuff will always be timeless, like good jazz, Sinatra, the Beatles, a '57 Chevy....stuff like that.  Things that transcend the era it came from and became more popular as more people discovered it. 

Written By: robby76 on 09/25/06 at 11:22 pm

The 70s always seem to get revived every so often don't they.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 12:48 am

The 70s always seem to get revived every so often don't they.

I think their influence as a revived decade has lasted the longest (then again, in the most extended sense, the '50s revival was as long as 1972-1986). Perhaps because the '70s in all weren't that long. I mean, the Disco era only lasted about three years in full force. 1975 was still psuedo '60s, and by 1979, the '80s were in their early stages!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/26/06 at 1:26 am

I guess it all depends what you like, and whether or not you worry about what other people think. Myself, I'm into 60's surf and garage rock, and I don't care whether or not anyone else thinks it's cool. I just like what I like.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/06 at 2:58 am

I guess it all depends what you like, and whether or not you worry about what other people think. Myself, I'm into 60's surf and garage rock, and I don't care whether or not anyone else thinks it's cool. I just like what I like.  :)

Cool, I'm the same way. :)

I guess I was just saying, whether any decade had a chance to influence the media and pop culture after its revived once. Because it seems like after that's happened, it goes directly to being old. It's not necesarilly hated, backlashed or made fun of (some individual things will live on as cool), it's simply "old".

Like in thirty years, I'd hate to think some kid who doesn't know any better might lump the '80s and '90s in with the '50s or something and the differences wouldn't be that big of a deal anymore.

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 09/28/06 at 10:19 pm

Not always. 70 retro was and still is evident in pop culture, in telivsion (That 70s Show lasted well into the 00s and there are countless re-runs of it) movies (Starsky and Hutch, Anchorman, Little Miss Sunshine) and to a lesser extent, fashion (low rise jeans are the descendents of hip huggers)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/28/06 at 10:23 pm

Not always. 70 retro was and still is evident in pop culture, in telivsion (That 70s Show lasted well into the 00s and there are countless re-runs of it) movies (Starsky and Hutch, Anchorman, Little Miss Sunshine) and to a lesser extent, fashion (low rise jeans are the descendents of hip huggers)

Yeah, do you think the '70s will be the first decade to somewhat go into being eternally cool? At least parts of it.

I think it's more the pre1967 era that will fade into simply being "old" after it was revived. Like, The Beatles and the psychedelic '60s rock has that everlasting relevance factor to it. You hear it on classic rock stations quite a bit, whereas Elvis and Little Richard tend to be "pure oldies". Even by the '90s they seemed primed for "old" old status, whereas the '60s seem still just like the parents' time.

P.S. Anchorman was a great '70s spoof. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...