inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Donnie Wahlberg's new show...Runaway

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 9:59 pm

Did any of you watch the season premiere of this show tonight? I watched it...and it was pretty good.  I must say...Donnie Wahlberg is much better of an actor than he is a singer! ;) :D  I think I will continue watching it....seems to have some potential.

Subject: Re: Donnie Wahlberg's new show...Runaway

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:06 pm

I always liked him as an actor.  I liked him in Boomtown, so I'll probably give this one a looksie. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 10:42 pm

Never even heard of the show, but the name caught my attention. ;)

P.S. I should know this, being so big on the '80s as I am, but despite being 7-8 in 1989, I don't remember (since that wasn't really my kind of music). Was he the "badass" of the group - i.e. mouthing off or mooning the crowd, dressing like Vanilla Ice, etc. Or was that Jordan Knight?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 10:43 pm

OH! I see, that's the title of the show.  I thought it was a recommendation!
:D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:43 pm

Never even heard of the show, but the name caught my attention. ;)

P.S. I should know this, being so big on the '80s as I am, but despite being 7-8 in 1989, I don't remember (since that wasn't really my kind of music). Was he the "badass" of the group - i.e. mouthing off or mooning the crowd, dressing like Vanilla Ice, etc. Or was that Jordan Knight?

That was him.  Jordan Knight was the "Justin Timberlake" of the group.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:44 pm

OH! I see, that's the title of the show.  I thought it was a recommendation!
:D

The word "runaway" was capitalized, which meant it was the title of the show.  No inherent joke possible.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 10:46 pm

I wanna see Mark Wahlberg

IT'S THE DIRK DIGGLER SHOW!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 10:47 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 10:47 pm

That was him.  Jordan Knight was the "Justin Timberlake" of the group.
Oh cool, that's what I thought. :)

Did any of you watch the season premiere of this show tonight? I watched it...and it was pretty good.  I must say...Donnie Wahlberg is much better of an actor than he is a singer!    I think I will continue watching it....seems to have some potential.

Hey Erin, were you more into Jordan's singing? :D

Seriously though, how would you describe the show? Even though I don't watch TV that much now, I might give it a shot at some point.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 10:48 pm

I wanna see Mark Wahlberg

IT'S THE DIRK DIGGLER SHOW!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Did you know he was a talk show host c. 1995? I remember seeing part of an episode from around then. Night and day compared to Marky Mark. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:50 pm

I loved NKOTB.  I still listen to their CDs even now......Jordan had/has a great voice still.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 10:51 pm

Oh, bosh, you're no fun!
;)

Stick to politics.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 10:57 pm

Oh cool, that's what I thought. :)

Hey Erin, were you more into Jordan's singing? :D

Seriously though, how would you describe the show? Even though I don't watch TV that much now, I might give it a shot at some point.

to tell you the truth...I was sinfully obsessed with Joe McIntyre....at the time...there was nobody like him! :D

The show seems like it has potential. The story line is basically....a lawyer is framed for the murder of his associate, so he and his family lose their identities and run away, thus creating new lives for themselves in a new place...with different identities.  In the meantime....DW's character is trying to clear his name, but the "real" murderer keeps sending threats to his family....basically...stay away and quit trying to clear your name...or else...

The pilot episode was very good...I will continue watching....and for those of you who missed it tonight...I think they are re-airing it tomorrow night if I am not mistaken.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 10:59 pm

[quote author=

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:03 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:07 pm

But...you don't much like what I've got say about them either!

Yeah, but I'd rather read you making less sense there than cracking really bad jokes.  At least you're good at talking politics, even if I don't agree with a damn thing you say.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:11 pm

Did you know he was a talk show host c. 1995? I remember seeing part of an episode from around then. Night and day compared to Marky Mark. ;D

I don't recall if I ever saw any of that.  I do remember 1988 when NKOTB were the hottest thing alive!  It seemed to happen all of a sudden.  Maybe that's 'coz I couldn't help noticing every teenage girl was in love with them and the stores couldn't keep their records in stock, and there was NKOTB paraphernalia all over the damn place!  Also, I was still living in the Boston suburbs at the time, and NKOTB were local city boys from Dorchester.  Did you know the Wahlberg brothers broke a stereotype?  If you were from Dorchester you were presumed to be either Black or Irish...but Jewish?  Not as many Dorchie, but they're there!  Of course, there are Irish and Black families in Newton too, just not as many!
Marky Mark and the Funkybunch?  Well, he tried!  I'll always remember him for Dirk Diggler, the boy with the biggest....how d'ya do!
:P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:12 pm

I don't recall if I ever saw any of that.  I do remember 1988 when NKOTB were the hottest thing alive!  It seemed to happen all of a sudden.  Maybe that's 'coz I couldn't help noticing every teenage girl was in love with them and the stores couldn't keep their records in stock, and there was NKOTB paraphernalia all over the damn place!  Also, I was still living in the Boston suburbs at the time, and NKOTB were local city boys from Dorchester.  Did you know the Wahlberg brothers broke a stereotype?  If you were from Dorchester you were presumed to be either Black or Irish...but Jewish?  Not as many Dorchie, but they're there!  Of course, there are Irish and Black families in Newton too, just not as many!
Marky Mark and the Funkybunch?  Well, he tried!  I'll always remember him for Dirk Diggler, the boy with the biggest....how d'ya do!

Ummm, I'd hate to break this to you, but the Wahlbergs were Irish-Catholic. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:13 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:16 pm

I don't recall if I ever saw any of that.  I do remember 1988 when NKOTB were the hottest thing alive!  It seemed to happen all of a sudden.  Maybe that's 'coz I couldn't help noticing every teenage girl was in love with them and the stores couldn't keep their records in stock, and there was NKOTB paraphernalia all over the damn place!  Also, I was still living in the Boston suburbs at the time, and NKOTB were local city boys from Dorchester.  Did you know the Wahlberg brothers broke a stereotype?  If you were from Dorchester you were presumed to be either Black or Irish...but Jewish?  Not as many Dorchie, but they're there!  Of course, there are Irish and Black families in Newton too, just not as many!
Marky Mark and the Funkybunch?  Well, he tried!  I'll always remember him for Dirk Diggler, the boy with the biggest....how d'ya do!

Maybe it's just me, but I usually noticed it was girls not that much older than me at the time, like "tweens" who were all over them. Like from about 8-12 and maybe a few 13 and 14-year olds. The same demographic held true for Hansen, BSB, Nsync and the 1997-2000 boy bands. I don't think chicks in high school would ever want to admit they listened to that kind of music. Even alot of Junior High-ers would've felt "too cool" for it.

Was it different where you are, Max? Based on my own experiences, I'd say your typical NKOTB fan were about 1977-1982 born girls in the late '80s.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/25/06 at 11:18 pm

I know for myself...I was a NKOTB fan starting in 7th grade and it continued through maybe 9th grade or so...until they started dying down in popularity.  You should have seen my bedroom at the time....my entire walls AND ceiling were covered with posters....it was insane!! :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:19 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:21 pm

I know for myself...I was a NKOTB fan starting in 7th grade and it continued through maybe 9th grade or so...until they started dying down in popularity.  You should have seen my bedroom at the time....my entire walls AND ceiling were covered with posters....it was insane!! :D ;D

If I'd known you in 1990, I probably would've been jealous of them just for that. ;D

Not with NKOTB, but this one female babysitter I had when I was about 7, was like that about Jon Bon Jovi. I was into their music alot, but her bedroom had posters of the band and all.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:24 pm

I was SO into NKOTB.  SO into them.  I had the dolls, the bedlinen, the curtains, the cassettes, the t-shirts, I watched the cartoon.....that was my first real big celebrity thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/06 at 11:25 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I usually noticed it was girls not that much older than me at the time, like "tweens" who were all over them. Like from about 8-12 and maybe a few 13 and 14-year olds. The same demographic held true for Hansen, BSB, Nsync and the 1997-2000 boy bands. I don't think chicks in high school would ever want to admit they listened to that kind of music. Even alot of Junior High-ers would've felt "too cool" for it.

Was it different where you are, Max? Based on my own experiences, I'd say your typical NKOTB fan were about 1977-1982 born girls in the late '80s.

Well, no.  I just noticed them.  I was never a fan myself.  By 1988 I was a bit old for their demographic.  Then I was still listening to New Order, The Smiths, The Cure, The Sugarcubes, Depeche Mode, and wotnot.  I even thought the Wahlberg's were Jewish...until now when Sister Mo corrected me!
I would guess the New Kids' fanbase ran from about 8-17, more female thatn not.  It was much more wholesome for the young girls to wear the New Kids t-shirts than the "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirts.  Uhhhh, you don't know what that refers to, and if I told you your father and brother would beat me up!
:o

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:31 pm

Well, no.  I just noticed them.  I was never a fan myself.  By 1988 I was a bit old for their demographic.  Then I was still listening to New Order, The Smiths, The Cure, The Sugarcubes, Depeche Mode, and wotnot.  I even thought the Wahlberg's were Jewish...until now when Sister Mo corrected me!
I would guess the New Kids' fanbase ran from about 8-17, more female thatn not.  It was much more wholesome for the young girls to wear the New Kids t-shirts than the "Frankie Say Relax" t-shirts.  Uhhhh, you don't know what that refers to, and if I told you your father and brother would beat me up!
:o

Cool, yeah I more meant, did you notice older girls who were into them as well?

I hate to generalize, but I dare say that girls more often than not, aren't as embarrased by that sort of thing as alot of guys are. I mean, I'm sure not a "typical" guy in many "typical guy ways", and even I was starting to feel too old for/get embarrased about trick or treating when I was 11 and I'd see a bunch of 4 and 5-year olds doing it right next to me. I didn't want to be lumped in with little kids (from an older person's perspective) as "one of them" -- even if I missed free candy. :D

So I assume other people probably have felt this way on things like music, too.

There was also this one girl I was friends with from work - my age, 18 and 19 in 2000, who was an unabashed fan of NSync (the music and the guys). ;) I used to tease her about it sometimes, lol.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 11:35 pm

There was also this one girl I was friends with from work - my age, 18 and 19 in 2000, who was an unabashed fan of NSync (the music and the guys). ;) I used to tease her about it sometimes, lol.

I still listen to NSYNC.  I just had No Strings Attached on a few hours ago. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/06 at 11:51 pm

I still listen to NSYNC.  I just had No Strings Attached on a few hours ago. 

Yeah, I like them okay now, especially with time passing. My favorite boy band song was "As Long as You Love Me" by BSB. That and "Sometimes" from Britney.

Back in 1999, I wouldn't have been caught dead saying that. In fact, the "me" from then would probably want to kick my a*ss for revealing his secret. :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/26/06 at 2:03 am

I absolutely hated both the New Kids On The Block and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. The fact that both Mark and Donnie Wahlberg ended up winning me over as actors, despite my hatred of their music, increases my respect for them tenfold. I've enjoyed most of Mark Wahlberg's films, but what won Donnie over for me was his performance in the HBO mini-series about WWII, Band Of Brothers.

What channel/time is this "Runaway" show on? I'll have to check it out some time.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/06 at 6:35 am

I absolutely hated both the New Kids On The Block and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. The fact that both Mark and Donnie Wahlberg ended up winning me over as actors, despite my hatred of their music, increases my respect for them tenfold. I've enjoyed most of Mark Wahlberg's films, but what won Donnie over for me was his performance in the HBO mini-series about WWII, Band Of Brothers.

What channel/time is this "Runaway" show on? I'll have to check it out some time.

It's on that new CW channel (the one that used to be WB and UPN....but now they merged).....and it is on at 9:00 pm on Monday nights. Like I said...I believe they are airing the pilot episode again tonight at 9:00...so you can still check it out. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/02/06 at 10:19 pm

another good episode tonight...:)

Written By: woops on 10/02/06 at 10:51 pm

...and yet some people (no names) diss Deborah Gibson  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/02/06 at 11:00 pm

...and yet some people (no names) diss Deborah Gibson  ::)

Donnie Wahlberg is a really good actor...infact, he should have done acting over singing/boy band to begin with.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/06 at 8:28 pm

well folks...only after like 3 episodes (4, counting the pilot episode).....Runaway has been officially cancelled.  It makes me mad because the show had potential...oh well...must suck being Donnie Wahlberg. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 9:01 pm

well folks...only after like 3 episodes (4, counting the pilot episode).....Runaway has been officially cancelled.  It makes me mad because the show had potential...oh well...must suck being Donnie Wahlberg. :-\\

I wonder was it due to Low Ratings, or did the network just decide they didn't like the show?

Some networks cancel successful shows for the latter reason.  I remember in the late 90s, there was a medical drama called "L.A. Doctors" that  got cancelled shortly after it won the People's Choice Award for best New Dramatic Series.  It's one big mystery  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/06 at 9:06 pm

I wonder was it due to Low Ratings, or did the network just decide they didn't like the show?

Some networks cancel successful shows for the latter reason.   I remember in the late 90s, there was a medical drama called "L.A. Doctors" that  got cancelled shortly after it won the People's Choice Award for best New Dramatic Series.  It's one big mystery  :\'(

I don't know. It seemed like a good show with potential...but I guess the network would rather run re-runs of lame shows...and bring back the stupid show, "7th Heaven"...instead of try and give new ones a chance. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 9:08 pm

I don't know. It seemed like a good show with potential...but I guess the network would rather run re-runs of lame shows...and bring back the stupid show, "7th Heaven"...instead of try and give new ones a chance. ::)

Is 7th Heaven still on the air?  :o

That show should have been canned long ago

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/22/06 at 9:14 pm

Is 7th Heaven still on the air?  :o

That show should have been canned long ago

well...it ended last year...and then whenever the WB and UPN combined...they brought back new seasons of it. ::)  It's so pointless....I can't stand that show.

Written By: whistledog on 10/22/06 at 9:18 pm

well...it ended last year...and then whenever the WB and UPN combined...they brought back new seasons of it. ::)  It's so pointless....I can't stand that show.

New seasons?  They need to end it.  The show has gone on wayy to long

I never really liked the show either, but I admit used to watch the odd time, but that's only because I would give my right leg to be Mr. Jessica Biel ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...