inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Would You define 2006?

Written By: twistedwarp on 09/29/06 at 8:04 am

Since 2006 is almost over how would you sum it all up?

I think it was a  "ok" year. year of the "grillz" ,"Emo craze", "snap dance".

what do you think?

Subject: Re: How Would You define 2006?

Written By: Gis on 09/29/06 at 8:20 am

Grillz?? Snap dance?? eh? what?

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/06 at 11:00 am

2006 - the year that Rap and Hip Hop barely impacted the Canadian charts 8)

Written By: Davester on 09/29/06 at 11:05 am

Grillz?? Snap dance?? eh? what?

Same here...

Yep.  I'm old... :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/06 at 12:00 pm

It has been a very busy year!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/29/06 at 2:07 pm

2006 - Glam rock and punk, Rap has become increasingly annoying and out of style, "The Mod" look returns, Important Celebrity Babies are born  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/06 at 10:52 pm

the year america died

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/30/06 at 8:35 am

the year america died

Why 2006 as opposed to previous years, Maxwell ?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/06 at 9:44 am

Why 2006 as opposed to previous years, Maxwell ?

The detainee bill the U.S. congress passed this week, which our commander-in-thief, George W. Bush will sign into law.  I don't know why he bothers signing anything into law as he as expressed his contempt for following any law so many times!  I mentioned this in so-called detainee bill on the politics board yesterday.  Some people are saying the George is becomeing the new incarnation of King Geroge III, the "royal brute" (as Thomas Paine called him) who spurred the American  colony to a revolution for independence.  I say that doesn't go back far enough.  Dubya takes us all the way back to 1215, King John, and the Magna Carta!
::)

The self-style journalist John Kaminski wrote a book about 9/11 called "The Day America Died."  I would say the USA PATRIOT act is the anti-Bill of Rights.  The detainee bill signed this week seals the whole thing.  If my people and my government do successfully rebel against this new fascism, we cannot go back to the old America.  Our government will have to draw up a serious overhaul of the U.S. Constitution to prevent any governemnt from being able to pull of this kind of bloodless coup ever again.  It won't be There will be America I (1789--2001) and then America II. 

This is serious sh*t!

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/01/06 at 7:15 am

Same old, same old.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/01/06 at 4:21 pm

As far as pop-culture goes, it's the year that lacked good movies, music, and TV shows. As far as the economy and politics go, it's the year when gas prices hit the peak, President Bush's approval dropped, and the housing market declined.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/01/06 at 8:11 pm

pollution

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/06 at 1:03 am

pollution
The pollution was worse back in the 70s and 80s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 1:32 am

The pollution was worse back in the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, what was that old Ray Stevens song?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/confusedsquare.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/02/06 at 2:24 am

Yeah, what was that old Ray Stevens song?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/confusedsquare.gif

Everything Is Beautiful.

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/02/06 at 8:09 am

As far as pop-culture goes, it's the year that lacked good movies, music, and TV shows.

Music wise, it will be the year that Glam rap's popularity declined (similiar to how Grunge showed signs of decline in the 1996) and a general decline in album sales

Movie Wise, it will be remembered for Pirates of the Carribean, which made 1 billion+ worldwide, easily making it one of the highest grossing movie of this decade (we have to see if Spiderman 3, Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix, or Shrek 3 will do better though)

TV wise, it will be remembered for the nadir of reality tv (the second season of Flava Flav, Celeberty Duets, the Segregated Survivor etc)

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/02/06 at 9:09 pm

2006? Well, the first half was a nightmare, but right now in the second half, everything seems to be going pretty great. :)

Written By: TASha Basha Boooboo on 10/02/06 at 9:38 pm

:Ddancing with the stars, unanimous, so you think you can dance, americas got talent, a 6th season american idol,  survivor(racial diversion), the LOST show continues, too many shows about nothing... paris changes "her" word from "hot" to "thats sexy" rediculouse length in "chains" "grillZ" are cool, rap gets lame, too many celebrity babies are born, so they can repopulate celebrities, people like hulk hogan's daughter try to sing, paris tries to sing, both of which i dont agree with. some girl named Cheyenne? wtf..we just let anyone entertain us cause they can throw the money down?? WEll im fed up, i want good OBVIOUSE talent, this sheesh sucks!
AMEN!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/02/06 at 9:40 pm

Undone

Written By: woops on 10/02/06 at 10:52 pm

nothing much...

Written By: rich1981 on 10/02/06 at 11:04 pm

Better than the last few years ...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/02/06 at 11:16 pm

It's been o.k

Written By: Brian06 on 10/03/06 at 1:23 am

Decent year and getting better every day.

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/06 at 1:47 am

2006 ... the year that I found out all I need to know (and more) about Ashley Tisdale and Debbie Gibson

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/06 at 12:59 pm

365 days?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/03/06 at 11:50 pm

Music wise, it will be the year that Glam rap's popularity declined (similiar to how Grunge showed signs of decline in the 1996) and a general decline in album sales

Movie Wise, it will be remembered for Pirates of the Carribean, which made 1 billion+ worldwide, easily making it one of the highest grossing movie of this decade (we have to see if Spiderman 3, Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix, or Shrek 3 will do better though)

TV wise, it will be remembered for the nadir of reality tv (the second season of Flava Flav, Celeberty Duets, the Segregated Survivor etc)

I totally agree.

While there's not any totally clear cut "new" musical trends that scream 2006, I do think (would you agree, too) this was the first year pop music feels like it's starting to break from the 2002-'05 stuff?

For instance, 50 Cent and most of the cookie cutter pop/punk bands are past their peak for sure, while Avril Lavigne and Michelle Branch almost sound like oldies (well "Today's Hits Yesterday's Favorites-radio oldies ;) ).

I could see more stuff like "You're Beautiful" and The Fray for the late '00s. Perhaps Emo ballads, too! I'm guessing it'll probably be a little rockier as well.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/06 at 8:30 pm

I would also define it as the crappier version of 2005.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/08/06 at 8:51 pm

Modern day Rap killed music. And I've sinned myself for using "modern day Rap" and "music" in the same sentence.

It has to have so far been the worst decade so far, in my opinion. At our school we have guys walking around with their pants at their knees and their boxers showing, girls wearing their shirt over their skirt so you can't even see the skirt, and stupid clothing ten times over standard size. Wearing a regular sized shirt, or even buttoning up the second button on your shirt isn't in. Your pants need to be ten times their original size so that they layer up at your big goofy shoes. It's all just out of place. I guess I'm thankful I don't follow the trends. ACDC shirt, jeans and my Chuckie Taylors is regular clothing and I'll keep it regular. Good thing is, most people realise how ridiculous their current fads are, and it's more popular to see kids in plain jeans and a top now.

Musically, I would have preferred grunge, or a heavier punk scene to drown out the amount of Rap we get. It's good to know Rap is slowly losing it's momentum. I take it by 2010 the music scene will be influenced mainly by alternative rock. Punk, Emo, independent labels and music that is louder will probably be in.

Movies were not bad but nothing special. I can't comment, seeing as I don't watch many movies anymore.

I hope the next 15 years will be influenced by rock, grunge and alternative music. We'll wait and see, one thing is for sure, 2007 - 2015 look alot brighter then the years we've just experienced.

Taking Back Sunday and their "MakeDamnSure" is an example of what I'd think "in" music would be.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/08/06 at 10:16 pm

Been a boring and uneventful year. 2007 shall be an improvement... but anything has to be an improvement to the dud that was 2006.

Written By: whistledog on 10/08/06 at 10:18 pm

2006 was a great year, but how is it compared to 1996?  Was it more like 1997 or 1972?

just kidding ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 10/08/06 at 10:19 pm

2006 was a great year, but how is it compared to 1996?  Was it more like 1997 or 1972?

just kidding ;D

2006 was more like 1990 than 1997 or 1992.  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/08/06 at 11:51 pm

2006 was more like 1990 than 1997 or 1992.  :o

Yeah, 2006 reminds me of 1990 with the lack of good music and movies, and also with the slowing economy. However, I'm not sure if we're going into a recession this time.

Written By: woops on 10/09/06 at 12:48 pm

1990 had more better songs than 2006, though maybe that's just me  :P ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/06 at 4:04 pm

1990 had more better songs than 2006, though maybe that's just me  :P ::)

1990 was the last year that Debbie Gibson had a Top 40 hit  :\'(

Written By: woops on 10/09/06 at 4:10 pm

Title track of  "Anything Is Possible"...

The song peaked at #26, but was unfortunatel forgotten since it was overshadowed by crud like Vanilla Ice & Nelson  >:( :P

C'mon, if I were a 15 year old in 1990 I'd have a poster of her instead of Sinead O'Conner

Written By: Brian06 on 10/09/06 at 4:34 pm

Title track of  "Anything Is Possible"...

The song peaked at #26, but was unfortunatel forgotten since it was overshadowed by crud like Vanilla Ice & Nelson  >:( :P

C'mon, if I were a 15 year old in 1990 I'd have a poster of her instead of Sinead O'Conner

I do agree Vanilla Ice and Nelson is crud, lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/09/06 at 6:50 pm

I do agree Vanilla Ice and Nelson is crud, lol.

Kevin Federline and James Blunt is the crud of 2006.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/09/06 at 7:05 pm

Yeah, 2006 reminds me of 1990 with the lack of good music and movies, and also with the slowing economy. However, I'm not sure if we're going into a recession this time.

I think this year has had pretty good music.

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/09/06 at 9:55 pm

Relatively easygoing compared to the previous year. A lot went down in 2005: a papal death and conclave (the first since 1978), Live 8, Hurricane Katrina, the London bombings... It had also started off with the horrendous mounting death toll and widespread devastation from the late '04 Asian tsunami. This year has seemed slower-paced and less dramatic to me.

On a personal level, '06 has been a pretty good year; it's at least been a bit better to me than '05 was.

As far as pop culture goes, I find myself increasingly out of the loop. I still pick up on stuff here and there, but I think I learn about most of it from discussions on this forum.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/09/06 at 11:29 pm

One word that I feel best describes 2006 is ANNOYING. James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" song really annoys me, and I hope I would never have to hear it again. Another issue about this year thats annoyed me is the immigration debate. I've also been frustrated on the amount of money I've lost in stocks and not being able to sell my property for a descent profit, after all the money and work I put into it with upgrades. Also in my life, this has been one of those years where if it isn't one thing going wrong, it's another.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/06 at 1:11 am

One word that I feel best describes 2006 is ANNOYING. James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" song really annoys me, and I hope I would never have to hear it again. Another issue about this year thats annoyed me is the immigration debate. I've also been frustrated on the amount of money I've lost in stocks and not being able to sell my property for a descent profit, after all the money and work I put into it with upgrades. Also in my life, this has been one of those years where if it isn't one thing going wrong, it's another.
We were back in 2005 for James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" song was released back then in June.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 4:38 am

2006 (MMVI) was a common year starting on Sunday (link displays the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2006th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 6th year of the 3rd millennium, the 6th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2000s decade.

Written By: dankishinky on 07/23/14 at 8:25 pm

2006 (MMVI) was a common year starting on Sunday (link displays the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar, the 2006th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 6th year of the 3rd millennium, the 6th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2000s decade.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/27/14 at 10:17 am

How would you define 2006 looking back from 2014? I still feel the same way I did when I posted earlier in this thread back then. It's hard to believe it was 8 years ago. I always feel that way when I see old threads. I had forgotten all about K-Fed though, lol. The one thing that I remember when I think about 2006 is James Blunt's "You're Beautiful". Overall it wasn't a bad year. There just wasn't much worth remembering.

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 12:48 am

2006 was when a great era in my life ended and my life became hell on earth for basically the next 4 years following it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/02/14 at 8:10 pm

2006 was when a great era in my life ended and my life became hell on earth for basically the next 4 years following it.

Why?  :(

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/14 at 9:32 pm

2006 wasn't a bad year.  It was one of those years that wasn't really remarkable in any way, yet wasn't terrible.  On the other hand, it wasn't really great either.  It was just kind of a regular year.  Looking back from 2014 I miss 2006, only because I was 21 and I still had the best part of my life (2008-2012) ahead of me.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/02/14 at 9:49 pm

He/she probably started High School (or college?) then.

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 10:23 pm

I was 12 and I moved to California and had to leave all of my friends behind, which wouldn't have been as bad if the school my parents put me into wasn't full of rude kids and awful teachers. For the next 4 years, I had to put up with constantly changing schools and dealing with more rude kids and more unhelpful teachers. Once I got into the local arts high school, things got better and I felt like I could be myself.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 2:31 am

I think of 4 things
emo
hot topic
snap rap
and myspace scenesters

Written By: Sita0 on 08/03/14 at 10:29 am

I think of 4 things
emo
hot topic
snap rap
and myspace scenesters

These 4 are big. Also, for me, I think it's also a "lasts" year:

1. Last year before the economy started crashing
2. Last year of the iPod being a huge status symbol (replaced by the iPhone)
3. Last year of the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox generation

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:35 pm

Why was that?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 3:50 pm

The first is true. It was basically at the height of 00s excess but only in fall 08 did things really sink.
It was also the era of flip phones
People used to show off their flip phones with snap rap ringtones.
It got kind of annoying when you were in a place and phones kept ringing with songs like these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXBgSCSrIk
For some reason every other person chose Laffy Taffy as the ringtone

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 8:47 pm

The first is true. It was basically at the height of 00s excess but only in fall 08 did things really sink.
It was also the era of flip phones
People used to show off their flip phones with snap rap ringtones.
It got kind of annoying when you were in a place and phones kept ringing with songs like these
For some reason every other person chose Laffy Taffy as the ringtone

Ah yeah.  I remember you were very cool if you had one of these.

http://www.welectronics.com/gsm/Motorola/motorola%20razr%20v3.jpg

If you needed anything more than that, you had to get a Palm Pilot, which could use only Wi-Fi and most websites wouldn't work on it.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/03/14 at 9:12 pm

If you needed anything more than that, you had to get a Palm Pilot, which could use only Wi-Fi and most websites wouldn't work on it.

What about the blackberry? I always wanted a blackberry. Until the iPhone came out. But now, we look back at those things and we see something that is a lot more expensive and is also a lot less capable than the things that are available today.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 9:34 pm

What about the blackberry? I always wanted a blackberry. Until the iPhone came out. But now, we look back at those things and we see something that is a lot more expensive and is also a lot less capable than the things that are available today.

I didn't know anybody who had a blackberry until probably 2007ish.  Maybe it was because I was a college student and I lived in a rural area, but despite having been around in the mid '00s nobody I knew had them. 

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/03/14 at 10:38 pm

Blackberries were expensive things then. I'd associate them more with business and such. The Razr was more common for everyone, and other flip phones. 2009 and 2010 I think Blackberries were available to some of the cheaper pay as you go plans instead of just contract. Samsung Epic and HTC Evo had touch screens and sliding keyboards. 2010 and 2011 is when I remember people owning them. After that it became iPhones as the phone of choice and other types of android with no seperate keyboard, only a built in kind and full internet.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/03/14 at 11:27 pm

I didn't know anybody who had a blackberry until probably 2007ish.  Maybe it was because I was a college student and I lived in a rural area, but despite having been around in the mid '00s nobody I knew had them.

It wasn't a realistic want, really. But I would've loved to have one.  8)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 12:23 am

Everything is correct except the Ipod being replaced by the Iphone. Ipods were still used in the late 00s (Ipod Nanos). I actually still saw everyone  having a regular cellphone and I didnt see any of them wanting to buy an Iphone until 2010-11.

Same here. My sister had that phone and if you were a girl, it was pink and/or bedazzled.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/04/14 at 9:22 am

Everything is correct except the Ipod being replaced by the Iphone. Ipods were still used in the late 00s (Ipod Nanos). I actually still saw everyone  having a regular cellphone and I didnt see any of them wanting to buy an Iphone until 2010-11.
Same here. My sister had that phone and if you were a girl, it was pink and/or bedazzled.

I was more talking about when you would see celebrity's show off their technobling it'd be an ipod and later iphone. It was something to brag about.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 10:42 am

I was more talking about when you would see celebrity's show off their technobling it'd be an ipod and later iphone. It was something to brag about.
Oh. I see now. I dont remember seeing many celebs with an Ipod and this is when I was watching celebrity news back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/14 at 10:44 am

If you had an iPhone in the late '00s it definitely was something to brag about.  Few people had them.  I had a Sony Ericsson in 2008 that I had to replace three times within six months before I finally said "forget it" and bought an iPhone.  Though I wasn't an early adopter, I was still well ahead of the curve.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 11:04 am

If you had an iPhone in the late '00s it definitely was something to brag about.  Few people had them.  I had a Sony Ericsson in 2008 that I had to replace three times within six months before I finally said "forget it" and bought an iPhone.  Though I wasn't an early adopter, I was still well ahead of the curve.
I understand a few people had them then, but most didnt have them until 2010-11. Also, not did people brag about Iphones, they even bragged about Androids as well.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/04/14 at 11:27 am

I understand a few people had them then, but most didnt have them until 2010-11. Also, not did people brag about Iphones, they even bragged about Androids as well.

Indeed. The iPhone kinda succeeded the iPod as the "apple-bling," and Android phones were big things too. You know what was really bragworthy before that? A camera phone! It shows how far we've come in just a few years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 12:34 pm

Indeed. The iPhone kinda succeeded the iPod as the "apple-bling," and Android phones were big things too. You know what was really bragworthy before that? A camera phone! It shows how far we've come in just a few years.
I know. Now people dont need digital cameras anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/14 at 12:49 pm

Digital cameras are still useful, you can snap away knowing you will not be interrupted with a phone call.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 2:11 pm

Digital cameras are still useful, you can snap away knowing you will not be interrupted with a phone call.
Thats right! So true. They can even still be used as secondary item when your main item is down.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/14 at 2:16 pm

If you care about picture quality you do.  Phone cameras still leave a lot to be desired. 

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:25 pm

I remember the Motorola.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 2:26 pm

If you care about picture quality you do.  Phone cameras still leave a lot to be desired.
What are phone cameras missing that digital cams had? I have used both of them.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 2:27 pm

It was a fun year for me personally, but I was so unappreciative of the good time that I didn't enjoy it as much as I could. 2007 was pretty fun too.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:28 pm

you can easily take a picture using your cell phone or your iPad.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 2:30 pm

you can easily take a picture using your cell phone or your iPad.
and a tablet.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/07/14 at 10:01 pm

It was a fun year for me personally, but I was so unappreciative of the good time that I didn't enjoy it as much as I could. 2007 was pretty fun too.

That's how I feel about 2003-04 and 2009-10 looking back.  At the time I thought they weren't the best years but looking back on them they were awesome.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/14 at 11:51 pm

That's how I feel about 2003-04 and 2009-10 looking back.  At the time I thought they weren't the best years but looking back on them they were awesome.

Cool.  8) 8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/08/14 at 5:10 am

You still need good light if you want to take good pictures. The quality is awesome then, but phone cameras are very weak if the lighting conditions are poor. The digital zoom is also generally a weakness.

Written By: Zelek on 08/12/14 at 5:49 pm

I know every generation does this, but I'm seeing more and more people name 2006 as "the last year that could be considered retro" or "the last good year before things went to sh*t." I'm guessing this is because it was the last year of:

Sixth generation gaming (PS2/GCN/Xbox).
A good economy.
The iPod being a huge status symbol and no iPhones.
Unrestricted Internet and no PRISM.
Re-runs of 90s shows on CN and Disney Channel.
That '70s Show and Malcolm in the Middle.

etc.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/12/14 at 8:13 pm

I know every generation does this, but I'm seeing more and more people name 2006 as "the last year that could be considered retro" or "the last good year before things went to sh*t." I'm guessing this is because it was the last year of:

A good economy.

etc.

But there was unrestricted internet before with different services, and what is PRISM?

Written By: Zelek on 08/12/14 at 8:25 pm

But there was unrestricted internet before with different services, and what is PRISM?

A data mining program launched by the NSA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/13/14 at 3:46 am

I know every generation does this, but I'm seeing more and more people name 2006 as "the last year that could be considered retro"

Wow, that's just strange. There is nothing retro about 2006 at all. As long as a year is not totally irrelavant yet, it cannot be retro.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/13/14 at 3:53 am

Wow, that's just strange. There is nothing retro about 2006 at all. As long as a year is not totally irrelavant yet, it cannot be retro.

I see 1996 as the last retro year. 1997-2008 just seem "dated" to me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/13/14 at 4:01 am

I see 1996 as the last retro year. 1997-2008 just seem "dated" to me.

agreed

Written By: the2001 on 08/14/14 at 1:40 am

Wow i never thought of it like that

you know come to think of what happened in 2006 it did feel like an end of an era
with 2008 being the official end.

Written By: the2001 on 05/08/15 at 6:41 pm

A good economy.

etc.

Thats true even nick was re running 90s shows
at odd hours of the day

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/15 at 11:03 pm

The service-based Internet (called Web 2.0) kicked into full gear in the early 2010s.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/15 at 11:07 pm

you know come to think of what happened in 2006 it did feel like an end of an era
with 2008 being the official end.

The "end of an era" feeling I get looking back on 2006 comes from the fact I turned 21 that year and there were many huge changes in my personal life in the fall of that year.  2006 was basically my last year of adolescence. 

Culturally 2006 was just shy of the peak of the '00s.  No significant cultural changes that year.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/11/15 at 11:58 pm

The "end of an era" feeling I get looking back on 2006 comes from the fact I turned 21 that year and there were many huge changes in my personal life in the fall of that year.  2006 was basically my last year of adolescence. 

Culturally 2006 was just shy of the peak of the '00s.  No significant cultural changes that year.
I can name a few cultural changes!
Re-runs of 90s shows on CN and Disney Channel
shows like That '70s Show, Charmed, and Malcolm in the Middle,The West Wing, Alias, Will&Grace, Everwood, Bernie Mac Show
MNF on ABC
original ABC sports
WWE Raw and Smackdown's logos and entrances
Paul Tagliabue as NFL commissioner
Funimation dubbing DBZ
WB became CW
Roger Ebert left At the Movies
TV Land strictly showing OLD SHOWS
ABC family just being family orientated
old style NBA on ABC

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/12/15 at 12:00 am

Late 2006 ,2007, and most of the 2008 was still 00s culture but in a more brand new and evolved way IMO!!

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/12/15 at 5:05 pm

A good economy.

etc.

1. Never owned a 6th gen console
2. Economy was good till 2009 and even then it was in better shape than the 90s. Maybe you guys in America had a bad economy.
3. iPhone was the IBM Simon of the 00s. High tech but a rarity.
4. I swear it was unrestricted until recently
5. Didn't mind when those left
6. Ok

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/12/15 at 5:09 pm

Thank god this wasn't a thing here in Canada.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/13/15 at 6:59 am

That was the year that I first lurked onto this site before joining in 2007. I remember at the time being the first year that felt distinct from the early '00s (Blu-Ray, HDTV becoming common, emo and ringtone rap nearing their peak, the peak of Millenial adolescence (older members had fresh memories while the youngest were fast approaching it), and was a good year in general for the Hollywood box office. The biggest grossing films that year were Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Night at the Museum, Cars, X-Men: The Last Stand, The Da Vinci Code, Superman Returns, Happy Feet, Ice Age: The Meltdown,  Casino Royale, and The Pursuit of Happyness, with other notables including Deja Vu, The Santa Clause 3, The Departed, Dreamgirls, Letters From Iwo Jima, Little Miss Sunshine, Babel, and The Queen. NBC's final great must-see TV Thursday block was alive around then with The Office, 30 Rock, My Name Is Earl, and Scrubs rounding out the lineup, with ER from the '90s still on. In a way 2006 was sort of midway between the Millenial Era vibe of 1998-early 2001 and the 2010s culture of this decade, but it was a bit darker politically with Bush being unpopular and the Iraq war getting that dragged on feeling. Online it was basically "Web 1.5" with traditional websites still dominant, but Myspace more popular than ever, Youtube and Facebook fast rising, and Twitter being launched. XP was still the latest version of Windows, now several versions older than Windows 8.1, and I see XP as old today as to what Windows 95 was in 2006. But USB was a newly popular storage method and the trend of burning CDs was quickly dying since iPods were pretty common already, but of course smartphones were still a year away. However, these feature phones were much more detailed compared to those from the millenial area with snake, a few basic functions, and a black & white screen. Print media wasn't too different but was rapidly becoming more diverse in its layout and more minimalistic compared to the '90s and earlier.

Written By: Howard on 05/13/15 at 7:02 am

WWE Raw and Smackdown's logos and entrances

Their entrance logos changed throughout the past 10 years.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/13/15 at 7:49 pm

(Blu-Ray, HDTV becoming common......In a way 2006 was sort of midway between the Millenial Era vibe of 1998-early 2001 and the 2010s culture of this decade......But USB was a newly popular storage method and the trend of burning CDs was quickly dying since iPods were pretty common already, but of course smartphones were still a year away.

You sure about these? I've never heard of HD much less knew anyone with a TV/PC moniter that could support until maybe '09. PS3 was the only affordable unit with Blueray support and there's a reason it came in last place in the 7th gen console race. I feel late 08-09 was the true bridge to the '10s, 2006 or even 07 has very little in common with today. USB has been common since the mid to late-1990s and CD burning was hotter than ever around 2006-08, my sister still has a high school video project burned to DVD since 2008. As for smartphones, while those too have been around since the 1990s, they're more of a 2010s thing.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/13/15 at 11:30 pm

Two words, SOCIAL MEDIA.

By 2006 it became huge.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/14/15 at 3:28 am

USB has been common since the mid to late-1990s and CD burning was hotter than ever around 2006-08.

Actually, USB did not really become mainstream before 2000 and before the introduction of Windows 2000 or XP. USB was very buggy at the beginning!

USB flash drives to replace CD burning became common after 2004, mainly in the mid 2000s. Audio CD burning was past its peak by the mid 2000s. That was mainly an early 2000s thing. The only CDs I have recently burned were MP3 cds for my car.
My university also wanted a CD of my master's thesis in addition to a print version on Tuesday, so that was the last CD I burned (in 2015!). Funny thing is that the blank CD was already 7 years old. This shows how rarely I burn CDs, or even DVDs...

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/14/15 at 10:30 am

Two words, SOCIAL MEDIA.

By 2006 it became huge.

Was huge since the 90s.

Actually, USB did not really become mainstream before 2000 and before the introduction of Windows 2000 or XP. USB was very buggy at the beginning!

Nearly every Laptop, PC, and PDA device before 2000 had USB ports and there were hundreds of flash drives sold for cheap.

USB flash drives to replace CD burning became common after 2004, mainly in the mid 2000s. Audio CD burning was past its peak by the mid 2000s. That was mainly an early 2000s thing. The only CDs I have recently burned were MP3 cds for my car.
My university also wanted a CD of my master's thesis in addition to a print version on Tuesday, so that was the last CD I burned (in 2015!). Funny thing is that the blank CD was already 7 years old. This shows how rarely I burn CDs, or even DVDs...

Maybe where you were it was old news, but where I was, burning CDs was an extremely common way of physical media distribution. Be it movies or music.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/14/15 at 11:07 am

USB flash drives were introduced around 2002/03 and they weren't very cheap. In the 90s and very early 00s, people still used floppy disks and some people, who had CD burners, used CDs. There were some USB devices available in the late 90s, but they were rare and unreliable.

PDAs did not have USB ports around 2000. Everything was about the Com-Port back then. And even mouses and keyboards were primarily ps/2-based and not USB, yet.

Written By: Howard on 05/14/15 at 3:16 pm

Two words, SOCIAL MEDIA.

By 2006 it became huge.

and now a decade later, it's bigger than before.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/14/15 at 4:24 pm

Maybe where you were it was old news, but where I was, burning CDs was an extremely common way of physical media distribution. Be it movies or music.

It wasn't until I got my first iPhone that I stopped burning as many CDs.  That was in the fall of 2008.  I still prefer to have my movies on physical media.

It's sad because in terms of sound quality, digital streaming and MP3s still don't match the CD.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/14/15 at 4:32 pm

It wasn't until I got my first iPhone that I stopped burning as many CDs.  That was in the fall of 2008.  I still prefer to have my movies on physical media.

I can't help but cringe at the statistics stating the iPhone only sold a little over 50,000 units here in Canada as of Q4 2009. I guess that explains why I never saw an iPhone in person till 2011 and I've still yet to see a pre-iPhone 4 model since.

It's sad because in terms of sound quality, digital streaming and MP3s still don't match the CD.

Nothing beats CDs. Except maybe vinyl lol.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/14/15 at 4:54 pm

and now a decade later, it's bigger than before.

Yes, by 2005/2006, but it gets bigger every year.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/15/15 at 11:47 am

Suckish. Crap music. Bad fashion. Boring TV shows. A lot of movies with dated special effects.

Written By: popguru85 on 05/15/15 at 1:45 pm

I don't really remember much from this year positive or negative. I was taking courses in college with no real objective in mind. went to a few concerts and movies but not much else.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/15/15 at 2:07 pm

Suckish. Crap music. Bad fashion. Boring TV shows. A lot of movies with dated special effects.

Yeah 2006 was a weak year for movies! TV(for the most part) was decent! I actually liked plenty of the music that year! But yeah 2004 and 2005 were obviously much better!

Written By: Howard on 05/15/15 at 2:17 pm

Nothing beats CDs. Except maybe vinyl lol.

Having vinyl had it's good and bad moments but having CDs will always win out.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/15 at 5:37 pm

Yeah 2006 was a weak year for movies! TV(for the most part) was decent! I actually liked plenty of the music that year! But yeah 2004 and 2005 were obviously much better!

I thought 2006 was a great year for movies and for TV.  I think it was probably the weakest of the '00s for music.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/15/15 at 11:45 pm

I thought 2006 was a great year for movies and for TV.  I think it was probably the weakest of the '00s for music.

2006 for movies didn't get good till the latter half(Casino Royale,Blood Diamond,The Departed,Night at the Musuem,The prestige,Dreamgirls etc.) Maybe I was focusing too much on the spring-summer movies!! lol

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/16/15 at 3:32 am

Having vinyl had it's good and bad moments but having CDs will always win out.

Depends. I always thought that vinyl was the way more interesting medium at a technological level.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/15 at 3:46 am

Depends. I always thought that vinyl was the way more interesting medium at a technological level.
Vinyl scratched so easily, I was glad when the CD was first made available.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/16/15 at 5:24 am

Vinyl was at least still usable with a few scratches. CDs broke pretty soon if you did not treat them well. Though, I agree that the sound was clearer on CDs.

Written By: Howard on 05/16/15 at 7:21 am

CDs were much crisper and cleaner on a sound level.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/16/15 at 9:00 am

Vinyl had a warmer sound and was more dynamic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/15 at 9:04 am

Were? they still are!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/16/15 at 9:06 am

Were? they still are!

Vinyl will probably last longer than CDs will. In 50 years, it's probably much easier to play a vinyl record than a CD.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/16/15 at 10:57 am

A fun year, but personally also very emotionally intense.

Myspace was still popular. Facebook exploded.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/16/15 at 12:30 pm

https://www.australiazoo.com.au/about-us/the-irwins/images/banner-top_steve.jpg
We lost this guy that year :/

Written By: Howard on 05/16/15 at 1:22 pm

Were? they still are!

Are they still on the level as DVDs are?

Written By: Howard on 05/16/15 at 1:23 pm

Vinyl will probably last longer than CDs will. In 50 years, it's probably much easier to play a vinyl record than a CD.

What about DVDs?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/16/15 at 2:07 pm

What about DVDs?

Don't know about movie DVDs, but I already notice that my burned DVDs from 8-10 ago years already don't work anymore. I think, the quality of burned DVDs is even worse than the one of burned CDs.

DVD is definitely better than VHS though, but I think good old movies on film will still last longer.

Written By: Howard on 05/17/15 at 2:28 pm

DVD is definitely better than VHS though, but I think good old movies on film will still last longer.

At least with DVDs you never have to rewind.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/15 at 2:55 pm

At least with DVDs you never have to rewind.
You do not rewind vinyl records either.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/23/15 at 10:36 am

I think 2006 was the peak of the 00s because:

Myspace was huge
Emo was huge
iPods were huge
MSN was huge
Windows XP was dominant
DVDs had largely replaced VHS
CDs had replaced cassettes, and digital downloads were huge. In the UK in 2006 we had the first #1 single on downloads alone.
Broadband internet had become the norm
Lots of flip-phones and the last year with no iPhones
The last year before the first signs of the global financial crisis

Written By: Howard on 05/23/15 at 5:43 pm

CDs had replaced cassettes, and digital downloads were huge. In the UK in 2006 we had the first #1 single on downloads alone.

people were using CDs more.

Written By: the2001 on 05/23/15 at 6:39 pm

Myspace was huge
Emo was huge
iPods were huge
MSN was huge
Windows XP was dominant

when was the earliest we got signs?

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/24/15 at 2:03 pm

Wikipedia says:

The active phase of the crisis, which manifested as a liquidity crisis, can be dated from August 9, 2007, when BNP Paribas terminated withdrawals from three hedge funds citing "a complete evaporation of liquidity".

Written By: bchris02 on 05/24/15 at 3:27 pm

I remember in late 2007 people started talking about a recession.  Forecasts were initially for a much shallower downtown than what actually took place.  For most people though it was business as usual throughout 2007 and the first half of 2008.  It wasn't until the fall of 2008 that it hit most people how bad things actually were and how bad they were actually going to get.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/24/15 at 6:30 pm

I remember in late 2007 people started talking about a recession.  Forecasts were initially for a much shallower downtown than what actually took place.  For most people though it was business as usual throughout 2007 and the first half of 2008.  It wasn't until the fall of 2008 that it hit most people how bad things actually were and how bad they were actually going to get.

We didn't enter the economic downturn until 4th quarter 2008 or early 2009, and in the end, it wasn't as bad as the early 1990s recession.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/24/15 at 6:41 pm

and digital downloads were huge. In the UK in 2006 we had the first #1 single on downloads alone.

Most people bought CDs though.  Even statistically speaking,  2013 was significant for physical outselling digital.
And was slow as molasses.

What about the iPhone? It was ad expensive as the IBM Simon in the 90s, it was far from a best seller with only 26m sold by decade end and 50,000 sold here in Canada, and as one review I watched of it hinted, it was basically a feature phone with touch controls.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/15 at 4:38 am

For starters, it was not a leap year.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/15 at 1:26 pm

Most people bought CDs though.  Even statistically speaking,  2013 was significant for physical outselling digital.

and DVDs too.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/25/15 at 3:41 pm

Myspace was huge
Emo was huge
iPods were huge
MSN was huge
Windows XP was dominant

there were some signs of 2010s influences; in the latter part of the year!!

Written By: the2001 on 05/26/15 at 1:43 pm

2006 was more old with some 2010s influnces

FLATSCREEN TVS,  HDTV,  XBOX 360, PS3, wii,
BLACKBERRY,  Justin timberlakes sexyback, rhinnahs SOS

Written By: bchris02 on 05/26/15 at 2:03 pm

I don't see it.  2010s influences were not apparent until fall of 2008 at the earliest.  It wasn't until 2009 that the transition was really apparent.  2006 and 2007 were as '00s as its possible to get and I don't understand why people think otherwise.

Written By: the2001 on 05/26/15 at 2:37 pm

I don't see it.  2010s influences were not apparent until fall of 2008 at the earliest.  It wasn't until 2009 that the transition was really apparent.  2006 and 2007 were as '00s as its possible to get and I don't understand why people think otherwise.

Did you not notice Timbaland changing music with Electropop

that lasted until 2012! lol

Written By: the2001 on 05/26/15 at 2:37 pm

one of the top songs of 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmF4GbA86E

Written By: bchris02 on 05/26/15 at 3:10 pm

one of the top songs of 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmF4GbA86E

While Rihanna definitely crosses decades, I think pre-2011 Rihanna sounds distinct from today's Rihanna.  In fact, I would say Rihanna was just as influential during the second half of the '00s as she has been in the '10s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/26/15 at 3:25 pm

You know what I KINDA take back what I said, I think I meant that 06 07 and MOST of 08 were definitely 00s culture, but more evolved. Things had just began to feel brand new! I myself had grown much older during that time!

Written By: bchris02 on 05/26/15 at 4:22 pm

You know what I KINDA take back what I said, I think I meant that 06 07 and MOST of 08 were definitely 00s culture, but more evolved. Things had just began to feel brand new! I myself had grown much older during that time!

I agree.  I think where you are in life makes a difference.  If you went through a major life transition around that time, that can be why it seems like a new era to you.  For me, 1998 seems worlds apart from 1996 because of the stage of life I was in then.

Check for new replies or respond here...