inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hardee's Commercial (no breakfast food in the 'fridge)

Written By: Mickey D. on 10/02/06 at 11:26 am

In the commercial, when the ill-fated hungry guy woke up wondering what's for breakfast, nothing was in the refrigerator, not even the biscuits, the eggs, the bacon, the ham, the sausage, no nothing. The voice-over guy with a lazing bass voice said "Sometimes you feel like you had some eggs...bacon...ham...and sausage.  Huh.  Too bad you don

Subject: Re: Hardee's Commercial (no breakfast food in the 'fridge)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/06 at 3:31 pm

Never seen this commercial, but you just gotta love Hardee's. Not so much for their food, which I wouldn't go out of my way for, but for their spirit. In a time where the Big Three major fast-food chains (McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's) are scrambling to offer more "healthy alternatives" on their menus, Hardee's seems to take great pride in going the other way. They're like, "F*ck it...Here's the Ultimate Monster Deluxe Bacon Cheeseburger!" I tried one of these once, and I could feel my arteries starting to clog before I got out of the parking lot.
  I think Hardee's should go even further. They ought to make a 7 lb. bacon cheeseburger and just call it the "Fat F*ck." People would totally buy it, Hardee's is guilty of nothing more than just giving people what they want.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 8:19 pm

Never seen this commercial, but you just gotta love Hardee's. Not so much for their food, which I wouldn't go out of my way for, but for their spirit. In a time where the Big Three major fast-food chains (McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's) are scrambling to offer more "healthy alternatives" on their menus, Hardee's seems to take great pride in going the other way. They're like, "F*ck it...Here's the Ultimate Monster Deluxe Bacon Cheeseburger!" I tried one of these once, and I could feel my arteries starting to clog before I got out of the parking lot.
   I think Hardee's should go even further. They ought to make a 7 lb. bacon cheeseburger and just call it the "Fat F*ck." People would totally buy it, Hardee's is guilty of nothing more than just giving people what they want.

We've got a local burger joint called "Fatso's."  I like that.  You know what they grill up and you know what you're getting!  The name "Fatso's" says, "you wanna pick at an arugula salad, go elsewhere!"

Written By: Davester on 10/02/06 at 9:05 pm

We've got a local burger joint called "Fatso's."  I like that.  You know what they grill up and you know what you're getting!  The name "Fatso's" says, "you wanna pick at an arugula salad, go elsewhere!"

Heh, yeah, we had "Chubby's" out here.  Was like a poor man's "Johnny Rocket's", with the 50s retro look...

Fat, sloppy burgers...

3...2...1...CLEAR!!!  http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/medical-defibrillator-2.JPG

Written By: Mushroom on 10/03/06 at 10:53 am

"Without us, some guys would starve."

For those on the West Coast, the chain is known as "Carl's Jr."  This happened when Karl Karcher Enterprises bought out the old Hardee's chain in 1997.  Since both used "Flame Broiled", it was an easy transition, they simply changed the names of most of the menu items, and adopted the "$6 Burger" system when Carl's introduced it a few years later.

And for years they have run the exact same commercials, simply changing the name of the resteraunt.  It is actually a continuation of an older campaign that Carl's started in the early 1990's.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/03/06 at 2:56 pm

For those on the West Coast, the chain is known as "Carl's Jr."  This happened when Karl Karcher Enterprises bought out the old Hardee's chain in 1997.  Since both used "Flame Broiled", it was an easy transition, they simply changed the names of most of the menu items, and adopted the "$6 Burger" system when Carl's introduced it a few years later.

And for years they have run the exact same commercials, simply changing the name of the resteraunt.  It is actually a continuation of an older campaign that Carl's started in the early 1990's.

That annoys me so much that they would change the name of Hardees in the West Coast as if they want so desperately to be different from everywhere else  ::)

Such Ego's

Written By: Mushroom on 10/03/06 at 3:17 pm

That annoys me so much that they would change the name of Hardees in the West Coast as if they want so desperately to be different from everywhere else  ::)

Such Ego's

There was never any name change.

Both places came into being, in different areas of the country.  Carl's (created in 1941) is a well known chain to people who live in the South-West USA, especially California, Nevada, and Arizona.  When they bought Hardee's (created in 1960) which was well known in the South-East USA, it was decided to leave the name alone.  In fact, they even made a new corporate name (CKE Restaurants as opposed to the original name of Carl Karcher Enterprises) to make sure that it did not appear to be that Carl's was absorbing Hardee's.

About the only way that somebody from the SW would recognize it as being part of the same chain (and the reverse) is that they both now share the mascot of the "Big Star".  I know that I have never seen a Hardee's further West then Texas, and have never seen a Carl's further East then New Mexico.  And both chains are almost exclusive to the Southern states.

It is much the same way with Best Foods/Hellman's  Mayonnaise.  Hellman's started in 1905, and in 1932 was bought out by Best Foods (which started in 1912).  Because both were well known brands, the decision was made to keep both names, and sell one on the East Coast, and the other on the West Coast.

Written By: Roadgeek on 10/03/06 at 7:08 pm

Yeah, it's always been Hardee's around here. Never been to Carl Jr's.

Check for new replies or respond here...