inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think Deborah Gibson could make a comeback?

Written By: woops on 10/02/06 at 3:59 pm

With the right promotion and if radio gives her a chance, it'll happen  8)

http://dev.out.com/images/0/DeborahGibson02.jpg

Recently she did a duet with Jordan Knight on a song titled "Say Goodbye", which is slowly rising on the A/C charts and playing on about 30 radio stations across the US since the past month. Before anybody say bad comments, it's better that that "You're Beautiful" song from James Blunt.

Here's "Say Goodbye": http://youtube.com/watch?v=4NQ-Dtu-HqM

Here's "What You Want" from  her 2001 album "MYOB"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2Osi0CtEg

http://images.ctv.ca/gallery/photo/hotmess_20060811/image3.jpg
Here's reviews of "Say Goodbye":

From Billboard:
"GIBSON GIRL: It's been 13-and-a-half years since Debbie Gibson last appeared on the Adult Contemporary tally. She returns this week teamed with Jordan Knight, a former member of New Kids On The Block. Their duet, "Say Goodbye" (Trans Continental), is a new entry at No. 35.

Knight was on the AC list earlier this year, when "Where Is Your Heart Tonight" peaked at No. 12 in January. Gibson hasn't been on the AC chart since February 1993, when "Losin' Myself" stopped at No. 49. Her biggest AC hit to date is "Lost in Your Eyes," No. 3 in March 1989.

Gibson made her AC debut in September 1987 with "Only in My Dreams." With the debut of "Say Goodbye," her chart span is stretched to 18 years and 11 months." 
BILLBOARD SINGLE REVIEWS

Say Goodbye
JORDAN KNIGHT & DEBORAH GIBSON
Producer(s): Aaron Accetta
Genre: AC
Label: Transcontinental

What year is this? In another era, "Say Goodbye" would have been worthy of a pop spotlight. New Kids' Jordan Knight and Debbie Gibson singing together . . . heaven, right? All these years later, this throwback is a novelty, but for those who thrived on the pop revolution of 20 years ago, the AC release is a reminiscent jewel. Fact is, the two sound perfectly aligned (albeit overly processed) with a well-executed, craftily written ballad. And let's remember, they're hardly graying dinosaurs (both are barely in their mid-30s). Radio is unlikely, but iTunes could propel this into a sales hit. If you were there then, this is absolutely worth searching out.

Subject: Re: Do you think Deborah Gibson could make a comeback?

Written By: Brian06 on 10/02/06 at 4:32 pm

No and who cares.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/06 at 6:03 pm

She looks hot in that first pic.  I'd like to wrap my lips around those melons

Written By: spaceace on 10/03/06 at 7:14 pm

If Debbie (Deborah) Gibson makes a comback this entitles Tiffany to make a comeback!!!  It's only fair, in my opinion. 8)

Written By: woops on 10/04/06 at 3:29 pm

5 who cares...

Funny how the Paris Hilton & Nicole Richie threads have more replies  ::)  :P

Though I still think Deb will make a comeback despite what others think

Written By: spaceace on 10/04/06 at 3:33 pm

If she reissues her "Electric Youth" perfume she will have my undying support.  That stuff was magical!!!! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 8:13 pm

Could she make a comeback?  Sure why not?

I could say to her,
"Your mama's so fat she has to put on her belt with a boomarang!"

And she could say to me,
"Oh Yeah? Your mama's so fat her favorite blouse is a tent!"

Sure, she could make a comeback!
:-\\

Written By: Watcher29 on 10/05/06 at 8:53 am

I don't see why she couldn't make a comeback.

Written By: Cheetara on 10/05/06 at 6:41 pm

No

Written By: Deb Fan 5 on 10/05/06 at 11:38 pm

I thinl Debbie should make a comeback.  I always liked her music :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/06 at 5:28 am

Yes.  Yes indeed she can make a comeback.

In fact, she can come back to my place any time she wants...  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/06 at 8:02 am

Yes.  Yes indeed she can make a comeback.

In fact, she can come back to my place any time she wants...  :P

Oh, that's a good one!
;)

Written By: spaceace on 10/06/06 at 6:03 pm

When she makes a comeback, just tell her to bring the perfume with her, okay? (cause I'm jones for that stuff) ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 6:08 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'd say it's 99.9% positive that ain't gonna happen. Not that she's not talented, but (1), her "image" was created by her c. 1988 teenpop. For better or worse, it's not so easy to break out once you've been pigeonholed, and (2), most '80s artists outside of, say U2 or maybe Bon Jovi aren't in the mainstream anymore and couldn't re-enter it.

^ It's ironic how "old" the '60s were during the '80s, yet so many of those artists had comebacks, while the '80s are still kinda recent-like (in the grand scheme of things) now, yet most of the artists who got big are "stuck" back then. Hell, even by 1991, most were on their way out.

Written By: woops on 09/13/07 at 9:32 pm

Sorry for bumpin' such an old thread, but I still think she deserves a comeback

She's far more talented and much hotter than BS

http://images.evdb.com/images/large/I0-001/000/503/533-8.jpeg
Here's a recent interview of Deb.

http://www.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/02/28/previews/Deborah%20Gibson-SGG-046022.jpg

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/14/07 at 6:35 am

i really like Debbie (i have her first 3 albums), and i think it's possible that she could have a come back, but i don't think it's very likely.

i think she should go for a smooth jazz sound on her next album.........

Written By: tv on 09/14/07 at 6:06 pm

No, Debbie Gibson could never re-enter the mainstream because she is basically known as a late 80's teen idol like Marty said and it is going to be hard for to break out of that particular mold.

Written By: tv on 09/14/07 at 6:08 pm

http://dev.out.com/images/0/DeborahGibson02.jpg

Yeah she does look hot in that pic no doubt!

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/14/07 at 7:50 pm

There's always the possibility; never say never.  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/15/07 at 3:15 pm

She can always come out with a new album or something, but as far as making a full comeback, and returning to her late '80s stardom. She's got about as much of a chance of doing that as New Kids On The Block, or even The Backstreet Boys for that matter. Unfortunately, not much

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 09/16/07 at 11:49 am

:-X

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 1:05 pm

If someone leaks a nude picture of her smiling in front of red curtains, I'll say yes.

Debbie already posed for Playboy, and that didn't get her back in the charts, so I'll say no :D

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 1:45 pm

yea, that playboy spread was so desperate.

and she's always criticizing how sexed up pop music stars are now  ::).

Written By: woops on 09/16/07 at 2:46 pm

She have praised Mandy Moore, Kelly Clarkson, and Avril Lavinge.

There's far more obscene images from other magazines, movies, music videos, etc. than Deb's PB spread, which was classy, well done and she posed because she felt more confident about herself not some desperate attempt for attention.

No difference than Scarlett Johansson's Vanity Fair photo some years ago, IMHO.

source
March 20= Playboy pictorial! Nervous as hell or relaxed and carefree at the time?! "You know what, relaxed and carefree. I think I'm a lot different than people think I am in the sense that I'm a lot more free spirited. I also grow and change with the times. And so old concepts of nudity are just that, old concepts. My friends just went, 'Boobs and booty ... that's just a day on South Beach'! Somebody was talking the other day about Britney Spears getting out of that car and I did Playboy and I showed a lot less than that! So yes, it was a very liberating experience. They are one of the most professional and respectful organizations you could ever work with. Every 'I' is dotted, every 'T' is crossed. I got approval over everything. In the end the nudity becomes secondary to the whole experience."

"And I'd just done 'Cabaret' on Broadway, which was a very sexually aggressive show where the audience is two feet away from me and you're in this little corset and boots! That, I swear made me feel more naked appearing in that show - and I don't mean physically naked, just feeling so vulnerable - than the photo shoot. And I knew I would have fun with the aftermath of it. I knew that when people do have a perception of you if you step out of it they get very flustered by it. And they were actually looking at me wondering why I wasn't getting more flustered! In the end I didn't think that it would help or hurt me. I just knew that it was an experience that I wanted to have."

Written By: woops on 09/16/07 at 2:53 pm

Back to her music, here's "Famous", which is similar to Pink's "Stupid Girls"...

Written By: sunny631 on 10/20/07 at 8:22 am

She's long overdue for a comeback in  my opinion. She will need a dance/club hit first (maybe Famous maybe not) thus opening the door for one of her ballads. Her ballads are fantastic.

Written By: misslaffytaffy on 10/22/07 at 3:52 pm

After listening to Jennifer Lopez's cheesy shoe song I think there is room for a Deborah Gibson comeback. lol
No songs about shoes falling off your feet and running barefoot just to retrieve them tho.

Check for new replies or respond here...