inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ChuckyG needs *YOUR* help... who are the most popular groups/singers?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/06 at 9:04 pm

I need to build a list of the most popular performers of the past five years in pop music.  Not in any particular genre, not "the best" or "your favorite" just popular with the under 25 crowd.

I want the list to top out at around 100 or so performers (doesn't need to be an exact number), and I want to complete it by SUNDAY NIGHT. I'm working on a project, but don't want to reveal much yet.

Let's get the party started...

Big Tymers....

3 Doors Down
50 Cent
Alicia Keys
Ashanti
Audioslave
Avril Lavigne
Backstreet Boys
Black Eyed Peas
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Ciara
Coldplay
Creed
Destiny's Child/ Beyonce
Eminem
Evanescence
Fall Out Boy
Godsmack
Good Charlotte
Green Day
Gwen Stefani
Hilary Duff
J. Lo
Ja Rule
Jagged Edge
Jay-Z
Jessica Simpson
John Mayer
Justin Timberlake
Kanye West
Keane
Kelly Clarkson
Lil' Jon
Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park
Ludacris
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Maroon 5
Mary J. Blige
Missy Elliott
N'SYNC
Nelly
Nelly Furtado
Nickelback
Outkast
Pink
Pussycat Dolls
R Kelley
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rihanna
Sean Paul
Seether
Shakira
Sheryl Crow
Simple Plan
Staind
Sum 41
System of a Down
Usher
blink-182

Maybe Not so much...

Alien Ant Farm
James Blunt
Killers
Scissor Sisters

Subject: Re: ChuckyG needs *YOUR* help... who are the most popular groups/singers?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 9:16 pm

I need to build a list of the most popular performers of the past five years in pop music.  Not in any particular genre, not "the best" or "your favorite" just popular with the under 25 crowd.

I want the list to top out at around 100 or so performers (doesn't need to be an exact number), and I want to complete it by SUNDAY NIGHT. I'm working on a project, but don't want to reveal much yet.

Let's get the party started...

50 Cent
Eminem
Nelly
Shakira
Black Eyed Peas
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
blink-182
Linkin Park
Jessica Simpson
Mariah Carey
R Kelley

Cool. So this can be anything from 2001+, right (your list sounds pretty accurate, although some, like Linkin Park or Britney are more early '00s, or even 1999 popular as opposed to current)?

I guess I'd also add:

solo Gwen Stefani
Good Charlotte
Green Day (their American Idiot comeback)
James Blunt (probably gonna be in the one hit wonder status, though) ;D
Rihanna
The Killers

Subject: Re: ChuckyG needs *YOUR* help... who are the most popular groups/singers?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/06 at 9:22 pm

Cool. So this can be anything from 2001+, right (your list sounds pretty accurate, although some, like Linkin Park or Britney are more early '00s, or even 1999 popular as opposed to current)?

I guess I'd also add:

solo Gwen Stefani
Good Charlotte
Green Day (their American Idiot comeback)
James Blunt (probably gonna be in the one hit wonder status, though) ;D
Rihanna
The Killers

I would say 1999 to present.  Britney's a little better known now in the tabloids than the record stores, but that's fine.

Are the Killers really that popular?  isn't their new album doing poorly.  I know I wasn't impressed with the new track.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/06 at 9:35 pm

I would say 1999 to present.  Britney's a little better known now in the tabloids than the record stores, but that's fine.

Are the Killers really that popular?  isn't their new album doing poorly.  I know I wasn't impressed with the new track.

That sounds fair.

I haven't heard the Killers' new CD yet (although the singles from Hot Fuss still get constant airplay), but I've heard it supposed to be a more rootsy/change of pace style for them, from the upcoming reviews. It'd be kinda sad if they fizzled out, I thought they were one of the best new '00s rock bands.

Written By: Jessica on 10/06/06 at 9:38 pm

Linkin Park started hitting it big in the summer of '01. I remember this because they later on became one of my favorite bands. :)

Ummm....how about Alien Ant Farm? System of a Down? Godsmack?

Just pulling these out of my ass. I'm not sure of how accurate they are.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/06/06 at 9:41 pm

Some artists that have had multiple hits in the '00s that haven't been named yet:

Destiny's Child/ Beyonce
NSYNC/ Justin Timberlake
Ludacris
Nickelback
Missy Elliott
Kelly Clarkson
Kanye West
Usher
Mary J. Blige
Coldplay
Avril Lavigne
Pink
Ciara
Lil' Jon
Pussycat Dolls
Evanescence
Ja Rule
Ashanti
Alicia Keys
Maroon 5
J. Lo
Outkast
Jagged Edge
Jay-Z
Nelly Furtado
John Mayer
3 Doors Down
Sean Paul

Written By: Brian06 on 10/06/06 at 9:42 pm

That sounds fair.

I haven't heard the Killers' new CD yet (although the singles from Hot Fuss still get constant airplay), but I've heard it supposed to be a more rootsy/change of pace style for them, from the upcoming reviews. It'd be kinda sad if they fizzled out, I thought they were one of the best new '00s rock bands.

I think their album's going to do fine, and the single is doing well on itunes, so it looks good for them (and evanescence as well).

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/06/06 at 9:45 pm

Sum 41
Fall Out Boy
Rihanna
Nickelback
Hilary Duff
Backstreet Boys
Britney Spears
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are pretty popular...
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................................................................

Not sure of any more!

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/06 at 9:51 pm

Not sure if this will help, but many of today's artists I am familiar with are Canadian ...

Chantal Kreviazuk
Tragically Hip
Barenaked Ladies
Bedouin Soundclash
Theory of A Deadman
The Arcade Fire
Sam Roberts
Billy Talent
Three Days Grace
Michael Bubl

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 4:03 am

You must include The Scissor Sisters.

Written By: Satish on 10/07/06 at 9:54 am

Not sure if this will help, but many of today's artists I am familiar with are Canadian ...

Chantal Kreviazuk
Tragically Hip
Barenaked Ladies
Bedouin Soundclash
Theory of A Deadman
The Arcade Fire
Sam Roberts
Billy Talent
Three Days Grace
Michael Bubl

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 11:43 am

Snow Patrol?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/07/06 at 11:51 am

They're not together anymore, but Creed was pretty big ???

Can't think of anyone else that hasn't already been mentioned...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 12:03 pm

Morrissey is still a singer

Written By: Tam on 10/07/06 at 1:07 pm

3 Doors Down
P!nk
Madonna
Kelly Clarkson
Fall Out Boy
Sheryl Crow
Keane
Evanescence
Limp Bizkit
Mary J. Blige
Seether
Staind

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/06 at 3:46 pm

ok, I updated the begining of the list with most of the suggestions.

I question the Scissor Sisters, even though I have their first album and considred buying their new one, only because I'm not sure if they are "household names" yet.

I also wonder if Fiona Apple is still well known?  I don't here much about her anymore, now that the unfinished album got finished and released.

I will say why I want this list, there's a possibility I will be making an amIright misheard lyrics book.  A publisher contacted me, and we've had some discussions on what it will contain.  So far, we've determined it will focus on more contemporary bands, with a small selection of well known older bands (like Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Duran Duran).  It will also contain other sections from the site (including a couple parodies? not sure yet).

So, I wanted to pull together a list of performers I think would be appropriate.  I also have to mock up a sample layout this weekend, which I've totally not begun yet (just pulling my hair out, trying to think of what I want it to look like). 

It's not the kind of thing that will make me much money, but for me it's more of a site promotional thing. It really makes the site look prominent if it is big enough to generate book from it's regular content. Yes, I plan on a large acknowledgement page where I thank everyone who has stuff that's been used in the site (plus all the editors who maintain the sections we use, etc).

Think of it as a "greatest amIright hits" type of thing, where we focus on recent music.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/06 at 11:32 pm

It will also contain other sections from the site (including a couple parodies? not sure yet).

Misheard lyrics parodies?  ;)

Yes, I plan on a large acknowledgement page where I thank everyone who has stuff that's been used in the site (plus all the editors who maintain the sections we use, etc).

Cool!

Written By: Gis on 10/08/06 at 4:04 am

Scissor Sisters are huge in the U.K so I imagine that is why Philip mentioned them. I'm guessing you are thinking of the U.S for your project?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/08/06 at 6:17 pm

Scissor Sisters are huge in the U.K so I imagine that is why Philip mentioned them. I'm guessing you are thinking of the U.S for your project?

yes... the publisher is thinking of US record stores.  I know their other books are available through amazon, which most people can purchase from too.

Written By: twistedwarp on 10/08/06 at 7:53 pm

2005's most popular songs

Mariah carey-we belong together
Gwen stefani-holla back girl
Mario-let me love you

2004's  most popular songs

Usher-yeah
Usher-Burn
Maroon 5-This love

2003's most popular songs

50 cent-In da club
R.Kelly-Ignition
Sean Paul-Get busy

2002's  most popular songs

Nickelback- How You Remind me
Ashanti-Foolish
Nelly-Hot in herre

2001's  most popular songs

Lifehouse-Hanging by the moment
Alicia Keys-Fallin
Janet Jackson-All for you

2000's most popular songs

Faith Hill-Breath
Carlos Santana/Rob Thomas-Smooth
Carlos Santana-Maria Maria

probably this will help.

Written By: La Roche on 10/09/06 at 3:17 pm

Trivium are pretty big.
CKY
Deftones
Drowning Pool
In Flames
Lamb of God
Saliva
Slipknot
Stone Sour
System of a Down

Check for new replies or respond here...