inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you had the choice.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/07/06 at 12:21 am

Let's say you had the choice to bring back one decade or era to this current decade, which one would you choose? The 60's, the 70's, 80's, 90's or perhaps before the 60's. And also why would you choose to bring that point in time to the modern 2000's.

I would probably choose the 70's. The "Me Decade" as it was put, was a decade of doing what made you happy. It's a pity I missed out on it but it certainly hasn't faded out completely, and I doubt it ever will. It was an anything-goes decade, social culture spreaded and turned into a franchise. It was a noticable decade.

You may want to move this topic, it's just it was hard to pinpoint a decade so I put it in modern 2000's.

There may be a topic on this but I haven't found one after a quick search so excuse me if there is.  ;) Just wanted personal opinions.

Thankies.

Subject: Re: If you had the choice.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/06 at 7:29 am

Let's say you had the choice to bring back one decade or era to this current decade, which one would you choose? The 60's, the 70's, 80's, 90's or perhaps before the 60's. And also why would you choose to bring that point in time to the modern 2000's.

I would probably choose the 70's. The "Me Decade" as it was put, was a decade of doing what made you happy. It's a pity I missed out on it but it certainly hasn't faded out completely, and I doubt it ever will. It was an anything-goes decade, social culture spreaded and turned into a franchise. It was a noticable decade.

You may want to move this topic, it's just it was hard to pinpoint a decade so I put it in modern 2000's.

There may be a topic on this but I haven't found one after a quick search so excuse me if there is.  ;) Just wanted personal opinions.

Thankies.

Indeed it would be the 70's, the "Me Decade", where anything goes.  8)

Back in the 70's it was pre-AIDS and pre-JustSayNo.  You could drink what you wanted, smoke what you wanted, snort at will, and party all you wanted with impunity.  The movie "Boogie Nights" pretty much puts it all out there.  ;)

By '83 the door on all this unbridled fun was slammed shut. AIDS and drug controls really cramped alot of peoples' style. :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/08/06 at 4:39 am

The 50's-early 60's. Although I wasn't alive back then, it seems like everything was so much more classy back then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/06 at 10:39 am

If I could take the social progress we've made since the 1950s, ditch the bad legacies of the hippies, the yuppies, and Ronald Reagan, and then go back to the 1950s, I would.

The trouble with the proposition is each era has its advantages and its drawbacks.  We evolved in leaps and bounds in the past fifty years.  We also devolved in some respects.

Check for new replies or respond here...