inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 06' a transitional year for music? What will the late 00s be like?

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/09/06 at 10:49 am

There was a major transitional period in 96', in which two major music genre that defined the 90s (grunge and gangsta rap) began to vanish from pop culture. 96' was the last year in which grunge bands were considerably active. Pearl Jam released their last album that topped the charts, No Code. Alice in Chains gave their final performances with their ailing estranged lead singer, Layne Staley. Soundgarden and The Screaming Trees released their final studio albums. And Nirvana released the live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, the only new release from the band until the greatest hits album Nirvana in 2002. Similiarily, 1996' was the last major year for Death Row Records (home to Dre, Tupac, and Snoop, perhaps the most popular gangsta rappers of the 90s). Tupac was shot and killed (the hip hop equivalent of Kurt Cobain's death), both Dre and Snoop had left Deathrow by 96', and Suge Knight (the CEO of the label) was jailed over illegal business practices. Interestingly enough, flannel (the archetype of both genres - gangsta rappers wore it and so did grungers) was no longer considered "cool".

With that said, are we witnessing a similiar event happening, in that Emo and Glam-Rap/R&B are fading away? Everyone knows that Glam-Rap has barely impacted the charts this year. There's been numerous flops this year from several hip hop artists, T.I.'s "King" was the only hip hop album of 06' to go platinum, and there's currently only ONE hip hop album in the Top 10. In fact, I don't even think there's a hip hop single in the Top 10 anymore (compare that to 2003's chart ~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3168554.stm) Emo is also showing signs of decline. The ratings for 2006 MTV Video Music Awards (which was headlined by several Emo bands that took all the major awards) were down 28% from the 8 million viewers it averaged in 2005 and 45 % down from 2004 when they had almost double the amount of viewers with 10.3 million.

So, as we enter the late 00s, what form of music will gain popularity? In the late 90s, it was post-grunge (Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Creed, etc), Electronica (Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers), post-gangsta rap (Puff Daddy, DMX, Jay-Z), and finally the infamous teen pop (Britney Spears, Backstreet Boyz, and N-Sync). For the 00s, I definately think we will see some revived form of teen pop at least.

Post-Grunge

Subject: Re: Is 06' a transitional year for music? What will the late 00s be like?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/09/06 at 11:21 am

Yeah, glam rap declined even more this year. It started to decline in 2005, because I remember by fall Kanye West was one of the few rap artists who were on the charts. This year's music was dominated by new bands/artists such as James Blunt, Daniel Powter, Natasha Bedingfield, Gnarls Barkley, Panic At The Disco as well as artists from the early 00's such as Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Shakira, Sean Paul, Nelly Furtado, Jessica Simpson, et. al. As far as hip-hop goes, T.I., Lil' Jon, Ludacris, and Chingy released albums this year, but like you said they were nothing like their previous albums. Also, Kevin Federline is releasing his hip-hop album, which will be the joke of the decade. Paris Hilton also released her debut album, which did better than expected since I'll have to admit, she has a good voice. Fergie's "London Bridge" also has been topping the charts, which I describe as having the 2005-ish style of "My Humps" meets "Hollaback Girl".

I think sometime in 2007, we will start seeing more dance/electronica music on the charts (such as Madonna, Cascada, Cassie, the Gorillaz, etc). There will be some new artists coming out with that style, but I also think current hip-hop and pop artists will implement that style of beat, just like how 80's artists like Paula Abdul and Lisa Lisa molded their music to the early 90's dance beat in their 1991 albums.

Subject: Re: Is 06' a transitional year for music? What will the late 00s be like?

Written By: Brian06 on 10/09/06 at 1:00 pm

In fact, I don't even think there's a hip hop single in the Top 10 anymore (compare that to 2003's chart ~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3168554.stm)

It's quite different in the US, hip-hop still rules the hot 100 pretty much, I don't think hip-hop is going anywhere anytime soon considering it has dominated the hot 100 since about 1995. Rap has probably weakened slightly here, but hip-hop and urban music in generally is sitll going strong.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/06 at 2:48 pm

Hip Hop has seemed to fade away here in Canada.  It's mostly rock and country songs that dominate our charts

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/09/06 at 8:27 pm

We have had a major decrease in Rap, R and B and Hip Hop music and trends here.

People are getting on to the Indie / Emo bandwagon. I expect the late 00's to be full of Independent music, a new release on Punk, Emo will be the new Pop , alternative music and alternative rock and possibly Club music which is becoming increasingly popular around here. Rap and Hip Hop will be around but steadily decrease towards 2010. And possibly the beginning of Grunge but that is just a guess. I  do know that with the predictions of 90's nostalgia in the 10's, it's possible Grunge will be back in the scene but whether it begins this decade or not.

With Indie Hipster there will be alot of retro trends. Which could also bring back lost nostalgia's. Not sure though.

Written By: Ebontyne on 10/09/06 at 9:46 pm

Paris Hilton also released her debut album, which did better than expected since I'll have to admit, she has a good voice.

I've heard that Paris Hilton's album sold somewhat poorly. This from Wikipedia:

"The album debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200 but quickly fell out of the top 100 within a month making the album a commercial disappointment in the United States. The album has received a wide variety of critical commentary including good and bad reviews. The album's first single, 'Stars Are Blind', did well both in America and internationally. The album itself, however, has failed to live up to the promise of 'Stars Are Blind', both critically and commercially."

I think Kevin Federline's album will still do much worse though. ;)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/09/06 at 9:48 pm

I've heard that Paris Hilton's album sold somewhat poorly. This from Wikipedia:

"The album debuted at #6 on the Billboard 200 but quickly fell out of the top 100 within a month making the album a commercial disappointment in the United States. The album has received a wide variety of critical commentary including good and bad reviews. The album's first single, 'Stars Are Blind', did well both in America and internationally. The album itself, however, has failed to live up to the promise of 'Stars Are Blind', both critically and commercially."

I think Kevin Federline's album will still do much worse though. ;)

Yeah it flopped big time, but "Stars are Blind" did have a bit of radio success.

Subject: Electroclash anyone?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/09/06 at 11:28 pm

I'm listening to Peaches, Impeach My Bush, and while some of the lyrics are sophomoric, the music is solid.  Do we really have to go through a 90sesque grunge/punk/emo phase (aka 70s pretentiousness-rock), or can we kindly skip ahead to a re-imagined '80s sound, crisp guitars, clean synthesizers, and lyrics that (sophomorics as they may be) would make a Congressmen blush with shame? I'll tolerate anything lyrically, as long as I can get an artist who's not afraid to play a chord, be it on keyboard or guitar.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/06 at 11:30 pm

Yeah it flopped big time, but "Stars are Blind" did have a bit of radio success.

Stars Are Blind seems to be a bigger hit overseas than it is in North America.  I believe it went US Top 40, but it never even saw the Top 40 in Canada.  All I Can say is YAY! ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/10/06 at 1:03 am

I'm listening to Peaches, Impeach My Bush, and while some of the lyrics are sophomoric, the music is solid.  Do we really have to go through a 90sesque grunge/punk/emo phase (aka 70s pretentiousness-rock), or can we kindly skip ahead to a re-imagined '80s sound, crisp guitars, clean synthesizers, and lyrics that (sophomorics as they may be) would make a Congressmen blush with shame? I'll tolerate anything lyrically, as long as I can get an artist who's not afraid to play a chord, be it on keyboard or guitar.

70s>80s

But I don't know of anything right now particular 70sish, emo started back in the 80s, as "hardcore" which is a split off from punk

Written By: AstronautXKid on 10/10/06 at 3:08 am

Well, Indie Hipsters tend to wear retro 70's clothing. At least over here it seems to becoming a bigger thing. The whole Indie-retro look. I doubt it's big enough to become a revived nostalgia of the 70's though.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/10/06 at 11:07 am

There was a major transitional period in 96', in which two major music genre that defined the 90s (grunge and gangsta rap) began to vanish from pop culture. 96' was the last year in which grunge bands were considerably active. Pearl Jam released their last album that topped the charts, No Code. Alice in Chains gave their final performances with their ailing estranged lead singer, Layne Staley. Soundgarden and The Screaming Trees released their final studio albums. And Nirvana released the live album From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, the only new release from the band until the greatest hits album Nirvana in 2002. Similiarily, 1996' was the last major year for Death Row Records (home to Dre, Tupac, and Snoop, perhaps the most popular gangsta rappers of the 90s). Tupac was shot and killed (the hip hop equivalent of Kurt Cobain's death), both Dre and Snoop had left Deathrow by 96', and Suge Knight (the CEO of the label) was jailed over illegal business practices. Interestingly enough, flannel (the archetype of both genres - gangsta rappers wore it and so did grungers) was no longer considered "cool".

With that said, are we witnessing a similiar event happening, in that Emo and Glam-Rap/R&B are fading away? Everyone knows that Glam-Rap has barely impacted the charts this year. There's been numerous flops this year from several hip hop artists, T.I.'s "King" was the only hip hop album of 06' to go platinum, and there's currently only ONE hip hop album in the Top 10. In fact, I don't even think there's a hip hop single in the Top 10 anymore (compare that to 2003's chart ~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3168554.stm) Emo is also showing signs of decline. The ratings for 2006 MTV Video Music Awards (which was headlined by several Emo bands that took all the major awards) were down 28% from the 8 million viewers it averaged in 2005 and 45 % down from 2004 when they had almost double the amount of viewers with 10.3 million.

So, as we enter the late 00s, what form of music will gain popularity? In the late 90s, it was post-grunge (Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Creed, etc), Electronica (Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers), post-gangsta rap (Puff Daddy, DMX, Jay-Z), and finally the infamous teen pop (Britney Spears, Backstreet Boyz, and N-Sync). For the 00s, I definately think we will see some revived form of teen pop at least.

Post-Grunge

Yeah, I agree. '97 was the first year that late '90s teen pop was really big. 1997 was basically the end of grunge also(Soundgarden broke up that year). I think '06 does seem a bit transitional with the continuing decline of rap, but 2007 might be the true transional year.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/07 at 6:31 pm

Now that 2006 has been over for awhile, it's easier to see the big picture which shows how 2005 and 2006 were both part of a transitional period between the early/mid 00's to the late 00's. We're still somewhat in the transition now in 2007, but for the most part it's becoming clearer how late 00's have been formed.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/19/12 at 6:30 pm

Now that 2006 has been over for awhile, it's easier to see the big picture which shows how 2005 and 2006 were both part of a transitional period between the early/mid 00's to the late 00's. We're still somewhat in the transition now in 2007, but for the most part it's becoming clearer how late 00's have been formed.

Wow so much has changed hahah. Some points are spot on. But if you need further evidence that some kind of change happened let this help you lol
To those of you who loved 2006 or graduated that year may be nostalgic .
All I have 2 say is 2 words that define music of 2006.
SEXY BACK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvfZDJzwEXI

Written By: Shiv on 03/20/12 at 9:28 am

Funny reading this today. A lot of it turned out to be pretty accurate!

Written By: Brian06 on 03/20/12 at 11:53 pm

2006 was the start of the transition towards a lot of current things, but it didn't fully happen until about 2009. Though social media was coming up in 2006, most people still did not have smartphones. Music went from pop dominated at the start of the 2000s, to hip-hop domination, and in 2006 started creeping back to pop domination. But 2006-2008 was still hip-hop/rap dominated overall.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/21/12 at 2:08 am

It was funny to read my post from Aug 2007 (I can't believe that was almost 5 years ago). Now looking back from 2012, it is easier to see a larger transitional period from 2005 to 2008. In 2007, artists like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha were yet to be heard.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/21/12 at 4:29 pm

Can you imagine lol

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/22/12 at 3:31 pm

Funny how most of the predictions from 2006 are actually accurate!  ;D

Written By: thenewtattoo on 03/22/12 at 7:07 pm

Funny reading this today. A lot of it turned out to be pretty accurate!

if you think about it 2009-2012 has been a opposite of what the early and mid 2000s were.

Written By: tnf on 03/26/12 at 11:08 am

Yeah. I've got an amateur radio station playing music from 2000-2009, but it seemed very hard to combine the - mainstream - music from (late) 2008/2009 with the rest of the tracks. In general, the underlying feel is different. The robotesque sounds from halfway 2008-late 2009 versus the more organic sounds from 2000-halfway 2008.

Because of that, the databases from 2008 and 2009 are relatively small.

Written By: J. Rob on 04/30/12 at 7:40 pm

I think sometime in 2007, we will start seeing more dance/electronica music on the charts (such as Madonna, Cascada, Cassie, the Gorillaz, etc). There will be some new artists coming out with that style, but I also think current hip-hop and pop artists will implement that style of beat, just like how 80's artists like Paula Abdul and Lisa Lisa molded their music to the early 90's dance beat in their 1991 albums.

This was SPOT ON  ;D

Written By: Singer-Songwriter on 05/01/12 at 6:37 am

I hate all music post-2006.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 05/02/12 at 8:09 pm

we will start seeing more dance/electronica music on the charts (such as Madonna, Cascada, Cassie, the Gorillaz, etc). There will be some new artists coming out with that style, but I also think current hip-hop and pop artists will implement that style of beat, just like how 80's artists like Paula Abdul and Lisa Lisa molded their music to the early 90's dance beat in their 1991 albums.

I am shocked! Are you psychic? That was one sweet prediction. That couldn't of been anymore right and accurate!  :o

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/11/12 at 9:34 am

I am shocked! Are you psychic? That was one sweet prediction. That couldn't of been anymore right and accurate!  :o

Maybe it was my decadeological theory (j/k, lol).

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 05/12/12 at 3:57 pm

lol please tell me what you think 2015 will be like for music?  :)

Written By: Howard on 05/12/12 at 7:54 pm

I don't know just have to wait 3 more years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/12 at 12:35 pm

Not sure about music, but I can tell you that there won't be flying cars and hoverboards in 2015, or Jaws 19. If I had to take a guess, I would say there will be more boy bands, indie rock, and a revival of hip-hop and R&B/soul/slow jamz. Electropop such as Lady Gaga and Ke$ha will be passe by then. One prediction is that Justin Bieber's voice will be deeper then, and his music will start to appeal to an older crowd (such as my generation).

Written By: Rhodes85 on 05/13/12 at 3:27 pm

One prediction is that Justin Bieber's voice will be deeper then

When I read that I got a very disturbing mental image of bieber with barry whites voice  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/13/12 at 4:42 pm

When I read that I got a very disturbing mental image of bieber with barry whites voice  :o

don't think that'll happen.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 06/03/12 at 6:53 pm

2006 was the electropop -1 year as it was just getting started with Sexy back and timbaland like songs
its funny how ppl predicted that electro was going to become the dominant genre for pop

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/11/12 at 3:15 am

2006 was the electropop -1 year as it was just getting started with Sexy back and timbaland like songs
its funny how ppl predicted that electro was going to become the dominant genre for pop

Yeah 2006 was the start of the electropop vibe but it didn't really come in full swing and dominance until like 2008.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/11/12 at 12:57 pm

Yeah 2006 was the start of the electropop vibe but it didn't really come in full swing and dominance until like 2008.

also you really didnt notice it taking over

Check for new replies or respond here...