inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Google buys YouTube for $1.65 Billion

Written By: Tam on 10/11/06 at 10:45 am

AP Boston Hearld

Google has announced that it has acquired the video-sharing Web site, YouTube, for a $1.65 billion in stock.

The company said that it would improve upon YouTube's user-experience while leveraging its expertise in organizing information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet.

Besides, Google believes that with combined expertise of both companies, a better and more comprehensive service will emerge on the Web site.

In a statement, Eric Schmidt, chief executive, Google, said that the YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Together, they are natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to users, content owners, and advertisers.

Talking about the deal, Chad Hurley, co-founder, YouTube, said that by joining forces with Google, they can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for their users and to create new opportunities for their partners.

Meanwhile, Google pointed out that YouTube would continue to operate independently from its headquarters in San Bruno, California, after the acquisition is complete, and all of YouTube's 65 employees were to remain with the company.

Subject: Re: Google buys YouTube for $1.65 Million

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/06 at 10:51 am

1.65 billion?  That's a lot of money!  Newscorp only paid half a billion for Myspace.com.  That's why I abondoned my Myspace page.  I'm not hanging around the joint if Rupert Murdoch owns it! 

I just hope Google doesn't force any further content restrictions on YouTube.

Written By: Tam on 10/11/06 at 11:02 am

A few more links regarding this:

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/061011-084440
Blogwatch with insight. MySpace threatening to cut off myspace links to you tube.

Among the companies that have signed deals with either Google or YouTube are CBS Corp. (CBS : 28.71, +0.34, +1.2%) , Vivendi's Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group (WMG :  26.55, -0.39, -1.4%) and Sony BMG Music Entertainment -- jointly owned by Sony Corp. (SNE : 38.63, +1.14, +3.0%) and German media giant Bertelsmann AG. Sony BMG and Universal Music will make their music-video libraries available on YouTube and share ad revenue for user-generated content that uses their music.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?dist=newsfinder&siteid=mktw&guid=%7BF7EA8C58-8293-40AD-AFAB-ED3022905351%7D

Written By: WalkerP20 on 10/11/06 at 12:20 pm

This really pisses me off.  Now Google is going to put "Ads" before the videos on YouTube.  Oh I'm so damn excited  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/06 at 1:36 pm

I hear they are already calling it GooTube  ::)

I like Google .. I like YouTube .. but as a team it is going to suck

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/06 at 1:26 am

This really pisses me off.  Now Google is going to put "Ads" before the videos on YouTube.  Oh I'm so damn excited  >:(

This is what happens when you let corporations control absolutely everything.  Advertising in every nook and cranny of your life.  When they start showing ads before the videos, I will not go to YouTube anymore.  I don't have a problem with YouTube selling advertising space, but when YouTube exists to show ads, not ads exist to fund YouTube, it becomes just like television.

There are a lot of smart people out there in cyberspace.  Their task over the next ten years is to keep the internet out of control of governments and corporations.  If YouTube is too pushy with its advertising, start a NewTube with fewer ads.  Maybe consumers will choose your service over YouTube because they don't have to watch so many ads. 

I'm all for guerilla warfare for the liberation of "intellectual property."  I know the arguments for copyright protection.  We are not hearing the arguments for fair use.  If we let multibillion dollar corporations control everything...they will!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pirat.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...