inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what's with the lack of music in disney movies???

Written By: annonymouse on 10/11/06 at 6:32 pm

what ever happened to songs in disney movies? i was watching that horrible "extremely goofy movie a while back, and i realized why it was so horrible compared to the original. NO SONGS. ya know, like " i just can't wait to be king" and "akunamatata" in the lion king, or all of the songs in the little mermaid and every other good WAlt made disney film out there. WHY AREN'T THERE SONGS ANYMORE?!?!?!?!?!?! i mean, c'mon now. disney has now resorted to cell phone service??? c'mon disney.

Subject: Re: what's with the lack of music in disney movies???

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/06 at 5:59 am

It is odd.  Many of their cartoons are remembered because of the music.  Like Fantasia.  Most of there cartoons have a recognizable song.  Wonder what gives?

Written By: Mushroom on 10/12/06 at 11:56 am

Well, that movie is really not a classical "Disney Movie".  It was a 2000 made-for-video movie, based on a TV show.

With their theatrical movies, much more attention is made to make them musicals, and have writing to keep both kids and adults entertained.  On their (and most other) "straight to video" releases, they know their core audience is kids, so they no longer try to please adults.

And for the last 5 years, there was an attempt to decrease the musical content.  This is because of lagging ticket sales, and the failure of their last several movies to have many "Top 40 hits".  And also because of the fact that recent animation hits (like Shreck and Ice Age) have had less importance placed on the musical numbers, and more on story elements.

Out of their next 3 movies, I have gotten a little information.  "Meet The Robinsons" comes out next year, and is also expected to have a lower number of songs then most Disney movies.  "American Dog" comes out in 2008, and "Rapunzel Unbraided comes out in 2009.  Those are expected to be about the same.

The project after that is expected to be "The Frog Princess", and is expected to be released in 2010.  The movie promises to be a return to the "Big Musical" era, and they have already gotten Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Alladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame) to be the composer.

Written By: spaceace on 10/12/06 at 5:53 pm

I just got the dvd "The Little Mermaid".  I love the song Under The Sea.  The movie Cindrella is a classic Disney music movie.  I love the song that the mice do.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/13/06 at 7:16 pm

shrek and ice age? you mean the ones that are always saying butt and crap?  look, i wasn't allowed to sy crap untill fourth grade, and butt untill sixth. i'm still not supposed to say god. i can't stand hearing little kids say butt, and fart, and crap, and god. maybe it's just the way i've been raised, but stuff like this really annoys me. sure, shrek is a good movie. but i don't think it was intended for the younger audience. (kids younger than eight.) i'm sorry but i just can't stand it when movies that are supposed to be little kid's movies are filled with (not exactly bad words, but more just) rude words.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/13/06 at 7:19 pm

Butt is a rude word?  God is a rude word?

Written By: Brian06 on 10/13/06 at 7:21 pm

shrek and ice age? you mean the ones that are always saying butt and crap?  look, i wasn't allowed to sy crap untill fourth grade, and butt untill sixth. i'm still not supposed to say god. i can't stand hearing little kids say butt, and fart, and crap, and god. maybe it's just the way i've been raised, but stuff like this really annoys me. sure, shrek is a good movie. but i don't think it was intended for the younger audience. (kids younger than eight.) i'm sorry but i just can't stand it when movies that are supposed to be little kid's movies are filled with (not exactly bad words, but more just) rude words.

Butt and God are bad words? lmao

Written By: annonymouse on 10/13/06 at 7:37 pm

^ actually i spacifically said that they're not bad words, but rather just RUDE wods. did you get it that time or should i type slower?

and yes morphine, when comming out of a small chld's mouth, i do find the words god, fart, butt, and crap to be a tad unneccecary. and by god i mean "OH MY GOD" you know what i meant. but still you questioned my post. why? because you always have to be difficult don't you? you always have to dissagree with anything sombody else says. if it doesn't come out of your mouth (or fingers i guess since we're all typing) you don't agree with it. because you always have to be difficult. cut the crap MORPHIE!!!  It's getting old.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/13/06 at 7:39 pm

^ actually i spacifically said that they're not bad words, but rather just RUDE wods. did you get it that time or should i type slower?

and yes morphine, when comming out of a small chld's mouth, i do find the words god, fart, butt, and crap to be a tad unneccecary. and by god i mean "OH MY GOD" you know what i meant. but still you questioned my post. why? because you always have to be difficult don't you? you always have to dissagree with anything sombody else says. if it doesn't come out of your mouth (or fingers i guess since we're all typing) you don't agree with it. because you always have to be difficult. cut the crap MORPHIE!!!  It's getting old.

I don't think they're rude either.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/13/06 at 7:40 pm

and yes morphine, when comming out of a small chld's mouth, i do find the words god, fart, butt, and crap to be a tad unneccecary. and by god i mean "OH MY GOD" you know what i meant. but still you questioned my post. why?

You didn't say that "Oh my God" coming from a child's mouth was rude.  You said the word "God" in and of itself coming out of a child's mouth is rude.  There's more than one way to use the word God in a sentence/phrase.  I questioned it, because I think it's odd to call a word that most children hear when in church or some other kind of religious service, or one they read in the Bible/some other religious text, rude.....considering that if they pray, they'd use the word themselves.  Not once in your initial post did you mention the phrase "oh my God" as what you were referring to.  You referred specifically to the word "God".  And "butt".  How is "butt" is a rude word?  How would you want children referring to that lump?  Heiney?  Derriere?  Backside?  Rump?  Tuchus?

Written By: annonymouse on 10/13/06 at 8:02 pm

how about bottom? that's what i called it up until i was twelve. i appologize for not specifying what i meant by saying that god is a rude word. in religious context, it's ok for a little kid to use it. i'm ok with that. however, i dont like hearing small children say "oh my god" why can't their parents just tell them to say "gosh" that is, once again, what i've always said. which rant are you talking about? the one where i said you refuse to agree with anyone? i'm sorry but i'm just getting tired of it. even if a person's post could not possibly be in anyway offensive, you still seek out something wrong with it. like poor grammar. because you always have to start trouble. you always have to be the center of attention. how you achieved all of those KARMA points is beyond me.

and to you brian06, if a six year old came up to you and said "oh my god i just farted and my butT smells bad, and i thought a crapped" wouldn't you find that rude?" don't answer that. i'm just joking. i know there ARE OTHER WAYS TO USE THE WORDS LIKE CRAP AND BUTT, but i still don't like to hear those words comming out of a child's mouth.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/13/06 at 8:12 pm

and what's with the lack of replies from sister morphine?

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/13/06 at 8:20 pm

Those are Dreamworks.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/13/06 at 8:41 pm

^ well, it seems i have transformed this topic from talking about just disney, to kid's movies in general.

Written By: nupur on 10/14/06 at 1:41 pm

i'm guessing that with movies like shrek, the producers are trying to get more viewers, so they try to appeal to older kids in their early teens as well as elementary school kids. there are a lot of jokes in shrek and shrek2 that would go above a younger kid's head, but there are some of these jokes that a younger viewer would understand, whether or not it is appropriate.

also, i agree with This Kid that 'crap' usually sounds rude coming out of a little kid's mouth.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/14/06 at 7:07 pm

i'm guessing that with movies like shrek, the producers are trying to get more viewers, so they try to appeal to older kids in their early teens as well as elementary school kids. there are a lot of jokes in shrek and shrek2 that would go above a younger kid's head, but there are some of these jokes that a younger viewer would understand, whether or not it is appropriate.

also, i agree with This Kid that 'crap' usually sounds rude coming out of a little kid's mouth.

karma point for that!  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 10/17/06 at 2:22 pm

Every decade or so, there seems to be a "revival" of animated movies by the other studios.  But sadly, the only companies that seem to do it well are Disney, and the early Don Bluth company.

In the early 1980's, Don Bluth showed Disney what it had been missing because of the few animated movies they did.  The Black Cauldrun tanked, and The Fox And The Hound did not do much better.  The people at Disney forgot one of the key rules" make them cute for kids, but aduilt enough to keep the parents entertained.

Don Bluth was a former DIsney animator, who did innovative movies like American Tail, Ferngully, All Dogs Go To Heaven, and Land Before Time.  He even did some animation for movies like Xanadu, and revolutionary games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.  His key factor was bringing back good pop music (Somewhere Out There was a #1 hit from the movie), and the talents of people like Burt Reynolds, Jimmy Stewart, and Tim Curry.

Disney fought back hard with a string of hits.  As they released The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast and Alladdin, Dluth sunk into "straight to Video" land or making movies on contract for other companies.  Over the next 10 years, a bunch of other companies tried to jump into the game.  Bluth tied up with MGM and did Rock-A-Doodle, Warner Brothers for Thumbelina and A Troll In Central Park, MGM again for The Pebble and the Penguin, Fox for Anastasia, Bartok the Magnificent, and Titan A.E.  Universal had Balto.  Sony had Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.  And even Saturday morning cartoon maker Filmation made a horrible movie called "Happily Ever After" (Snow White with 7 female dwarves).

Then DreamWorks got into the act with Shrek.  This was the next big change: more adult oriented humor.  Farting in mud and light swearing soon became the norm.  Cute was out and crude was in.  Finally that seems to have run it's course, but now we are gonna be stuck for the next few years with movies that were started during that period.  With a 3-8 year production time, we are stuck with several years worth of bad animated movies to come before things change again for the better.

Check for new replies or respond here...