inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: iPod turns 5 (And Tam needs your help!)

Written By: Brian06 on 10/23/06 at 6:22 pm

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/5169

It's been 5 years since the Apple iPod was first introduced. In those 5 years the iPod has become one of the most popular digital devices out there and it has completely changed digital music. Before iPod MP3 players weren't really that popular yet, everybody just burned CD-Rs, mainly because of small capacity and high prices of the early mp3 players. It has become an icon in modern pop culture as well, appearing in many music videos, movies, and commercials. The iPod also probably saved Apple as a major company. So Happy Birthday iPod.

Subject: Re: iPod turns 5

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/23/06 at 6:25 pm

Yay!  :D

I can safely say, however, that I have never bought an Apple iPod (or an Apple iAnything for that matter). Nor do I intend to.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 12:10 am

I love my iPod.  It goes with me everywhere.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/24/06 at 12:16 am

I own one too, a 30 GB video. The sound is great and it's a very nice item, but the battery life definitely leaves something to be desired.

Written By: Tam on 10/24/06 at 12:40 am

Congratulations iPod!

Personally, I don't have one nor do I want one. I have a normal mp3 player which just sits around and collects dust. My music is on mp3 cd's and they go everywhere with me - mostly because the truck has the capability and I also have my cd walkman (I am sooooo showing my age) that also plays mp3's and has a floating lens in it.

I own one too, a 30 GB video. The sound is great and it's a very nice item, but the battery life definitely leaves something to be desired.

Do you think it's big enough Brian? lol

I love my iPod.  It goes with me everywhere.

Wow! I didn't know they made waterproof ones for the shower!! j/k ;D

Yay!  :D

I can safely say, however, that I have never bought an Apple iPod (or an Apple iAnything for that matter). Nor do I intend to.

I agree. Nothing Apple here either!

Written By: NullandVoid on 10/24/06 at 1:33 pm

Whatever. The only kind of Apples I like are the ones in the fridge.

Written By: Criz on 10/27/06 at 3:09 am

I'm getting one for my birthday this week...I've been wanting one for ages. Really excited about having loads of songs on one little gadget! :]

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/06 at 6:45 am

I'm getting one for my birthday this week...I've been wanting one for ages. Really excited about having loads of songs on one little gadget! :]

They're great you'll love it.

Written By: WolvesRayne on 10/29/06 at 12:42 pm

Ipods are retarded, I'm perfectly happy with using CD's and a CD-Player.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/30/06 at 6:00 pm

Ipods are retarded, I'm perfectly happy with using CD's and a CD-Player.
So you'd rather walk around with a ridiculously large gadget that only holds 20 or so songs as opposed to a ridiculously small gadget that holds well over 1000 songs?

Each to their own I guess.

Subject: Re: iPod turns 5 (And Tam needs your help!)

Written By: Tam on 11/29/06 at 12:02 pm

Bump!

I need help.
Funny since I stated before I could care less about the ipod.
Here is the deal.

Hubby received a free ipod mini from another soldier who was leaving out from Iraq.
This free mini came with nothing. No charger, headphones, usb cord - nothing.
My problem is because I am ignorant in the ways of the ipod, I have no idea what I am looking for in order to buy him the accessories needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated for real!!!
Thanks all

Tam

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 12:42 pm

Bump!

I need help.
Funny since I stated before I could care less about the ipod.
Here is the deal.

Hubby received a free ipod mini from another soldier who was leaving out from Iraq.
This free mini came with nothing. No charger, headphones, usb cord - nothing.
My problem is because I am ignorant in the ways of the ipod, I have no idea what I am looking for in order to buy him the accessories needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated for real!!!
Thanks all

Tam

Find out if there is an Apple Store near you.....they sell all Apple products and just about anything you could want for an iPod.  You would need to buy a USB cord to hook up from the iPod to the computer so you can transfer songs.  It's a specific kind of USB cord, so you'd need to buy it there.  I charge my iPod the same way, so you don't need to buy a wall-mounted charger if you don't want to.  I hate earbud headphones, so I don't even use the ones that came with the iPod.  You can either buy them or buy some other headphones, it's up to you.

Make sure you have iTunes downloaded on the computer, because that's the program you'll use to add/delete songs and whatnot. 

If you have any other questions, you can always PM me.  :)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/29/06 at 1:23 pm

Any store should carry the accessories.  I tend to stay away from the actual "Apple" stores because I can buy the same stuff cheaper at Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy or any other electronics/office store.

I'd recommend getting the wall charger so he can charge it whether or not he has a computer available.  I usually use my regular headphones because all of the pairs we have that came with the ipods have fallen apart.

I'd also recommend some sort of case/sleeve to protect it.  I've kept mine in a leather pouch (originally purchased for my cell phone) and it's scratched to heck (although my son's mini, which has never been in anything, seems to be more scratch-resistance) :o

You can download itunes free online at apple.com.

Written By: Tam on 11/29/06 at 1:45 pm

You Gals rock!
There ins't an Apple store around here unfortunately so I guess I will go to Walmart or look at apple.com.

One more question: Is the mini the same as the nano? lol

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 1:48 pm

You Gals rock!
There ins't an Apple store around here unfortunately so I guess I will go to Walmart or look at apple.com.

No, the mini and the nano are two separate things.  I don't think they make the mini anymore, actually.  I was just on Apple.com and all I see is the regular, the nano and the shuffle. 

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 1:50 pm

You Gals rock!

The mini was discontinued in September 2005 I believe, the nano is it's successor.

Check for new replies or respond here...