inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Network TV shows seems to be a pretty "in" thing now

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/29/06 at 12:35 pm

Something I have noticed, maybey I am wrong, but it appears that a lot of network TV shows (from the big old stations NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) are really popular and cool these days.  This would seem counterintuitive to the modern day television landscape, this isn't the 80s where we were so limited, there are so many other channels offered on cable, why watch all these shows?

But nearly everyone I talk to raves about some network TV program.  If it's not Lost then it's The Office.  Or American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Smallville, Family Guy, Las Vegas or the many CSI programs (the original, NY and Miami).

Ofcourse there are the endless reality based shows on the big stations.

I don't remember network TV shows being this "in" and cool some years back (90s).  Or maybey I'm remembering it wrong.  It's just that I don't watch too many broadcast televisions shows, when I'm channel surfing it's usually something on cable, but people I talk to are always talking about these current programs like they are so hip and cool.  There are less sitcoms these days it seems, which may be part of the answer.  Seinfeld was always cool in a smart way , but in previous days where it was more sitcom dominated, I suppose you couldn't talk about a show like Home Improvement and be cool back in the days.  But I've noticed these current shows are all "cool" TV shows to watch, a real conversation piece with people these days. 

Subject: Re: Network TV shows seems to be a pretty "in" thing now

Written By: gmann on 10/29/06 at 10:05 pm

IMO, network television has learned to adapt in the face of a threat like cable/satellite. I watch a number of the shows mentioned above, and it's a different landscape when compared to programming offered a decade ago. Reality shows have played a part, but I think certain attitudes about what can/can't be considered fare for network programming has changed quite a bit. "The Office" is one example. It's not just another sitcom, at least not based on most folks' preconceived notions of what constitutes a sitcom. The network suits have learned that niche programming *can* work, if they play their cards right.

Check for new replies or respond here...