inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bill Maher's "Steve Irwin Costume" :'-(

Written By: audkal on 10/31/06 at 2:18 pm

Sooo uncool.  :-\\

http://forum.dog.com/asp/upfiles/9282/46C4C20580F1405BA598A356CE29B657.jpg

Subject: Re: Bill Maher's "Steve Irwin Costume" :'-(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/06 at 2:39 pm

I usually like Bill Maher but this is very poor taste.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 2:43 pm

^I agree....very wrong. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 3:02 pm

I have no idea who Bill Maher is, but it looks totally disgraceful!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/31/06 at 3:03 pm

OMG!  That is sick!!!  >:(

Written By: Brian06 on 10/31/06 at 3:15 pm

That is very dumb of him.  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/06 at 3:20 pm

Why would Bill do this?  He's gonna lose a big fan base over this

I have no idea who Bill Maher is, but it looks totally disgraceful!

He's an American comedian, entertaining audiences for over 20 years

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 3:36 pm

Why would Bill do this?  He's gonna lose a big fan base over this

He's an American comedian, entertaining audiences for over 20 years
Has Bill Maher made any films?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/06 at 5:44 pm

OK, Bill, I'm gonna let that one slide.  Just don't you make no Michael J. Fox jokes, ya big pr*ck!
>:(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/31/06 at 6:11 pm

I would've been offended if he did go as Michael J. Fox, Max. I never held Steve Irwin to that high of a regard.

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/06 at 6:22 pm

Has Bill Maher made any films?

He has been in a few films, most notably a supporting role in the Mr. T 1983 comedy "D.C. Cab"

Written By: woops on 10/31/06 at 6:25 pm

...what a moron, though where have he been since the cancellation of his show  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 7:57 pm

...what a moron, though where have he been since the cancellation of his show  ::)

It's called "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO.  It's one of the best shows on the network.

It's in poor taste, but so are a lot of costumes some adults come up with on Halloween.  I went to a Halloween party a couple of years ago and this couple came in dressed as the two kids who orchestrated Columbine.  I find that worse than Maher's costume. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/31/06 at 8:02 pm

He has been in a few films, most notably a supporting role in the Mr. T 1983 comedy "D.C. Cab"

And the Academy Award winning....

House 2!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/06 at 9:42 pm

I pity the foo' who don't like my "D.C. Cab"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/mrt.gif

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/06 at 10:52 pm

I usually like Bill Maher, but that costume is awful.  What was he thinking?  >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 10:56 pm

I usually like Bill Maher, but that costume is awful.  What was he thinking?  >:(

He was thinking about shocking people and getting them to talk about him.  And it worked.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/31/06 at 11:27 pm

He was thinking about shocking people and getting them to talk about him.  And it worked.

Yeah, but it's still supremely tacky.  I just keep imagining Steve Irwin's family seeing that.  When you've lost someone close to you, it's not so funny.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:30 pm

Yeah, but it's still supremely tacky.  I just keep imagining Steve Irwin's family seeing that.  When you've lost someone close to you, it's not so funny.

yup...he's a big big asshole...there isn't any other way to describe it....sorry. ::) >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:33 pm

yup...he's a big big asshole...there isn't any other way to describe it....sorry. ::) >:(

He's not an a**hole.  Frankly, I think it's interesting when people have the balls to do something so off the wall, so completely out there, that no one else will do it.  They get kudoes just for sticking their necks that far out.  I'm not saying he should have done it, but it takes a large pair to do it. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:35 pm

He's not an a**hole.  Frankly, I think it's great when people have the balls to do something so off the wall, so completely out there, that no one else will do it.  They get kudoes just for sticking their necks that far out.  I'm not saying he should have done it, but it takes a large pair to do it. 

oh come on. The dude has hardly been dead long enough for the family to even grieve...and this jerk goes and pulls a stunt like this? I can see having balls when it comes to things like standing up for what you believe in, etc...but to come out and dress up as someone who tragically died, a very short time ago....tasteless is a very nice way of putting it. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:42 pm

oh come on. The dude has hardly been dead long enough for the family to even grieve...and this jerk goes and pulls a stunt like this? I can see having balls when it comes to things like standing up for what you believe in, etc...but to come out and dress up as someone who tragically died, a very short time ago....tasteless is a very nice way of putting it. ::)

He's a celebrity.....when have celebrity deaths NOT been mocked?  Steve Irwin's death is no more tragic than any other human being's death on this earth.  I think it's tasteless, but he's well within his rights to dress however he wants for Halloween. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/06 at 11:43 pm

He's not an a**hole.  Frankly, I think it's interesting when people have the balls to do something so off the wall, so completely out there, that no one else will do it.  They get kudoes just for sticking their necks that far out.  I'm not saying he should have done it, but it takes a large pair to do it. 

It's still in very bad taste.  I mean you don't see people dressed up like Elvis on the toilet, or Michael Hutchence with a rope around his neck  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:44 pm

It's still in very bad taste.  I mean you don't see people dressed up like Elvis on the toilet, or Michael Hutchence with a rope around his neck  ::)

Actually, I have seen someone dressed up as Elvis on the toilet.  Complete with a shag rug.  It was a couple years ago on campus....the SSG was having a costume party in the Student Center.

Bill Maher can't hold a candle to a college student in the "Tacky Costume" department.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/31/06 at 11:46 pm

He's a celebrity.....when have celebrity deaths NOT been mocked?  Steve Irwin's death is no more tragic than any other human being's death on this earth.  I think it's tasteless, but he's well within his rights to dress however he wants for Halloween. 

I still don't think there was any reason to pick on Irwin, he could've mocked Cheney, Bush or somebody (like he usually does) but why Steve Irwin.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 11:47 pm

Actually, I have seen someone dressed up as Elvis on the toilet.  Complete with a shag rug.  It was a couple years ago on campus....the SSG was having a costume party in the Student Center.
...but was it done for the whole world to see?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:47 pm

...but was it done for the whole world to see?

Not the whole world, but the whole campus.  However, that's not the point.  It's a free country....he can wear whatever he wants, no matter how tasteless it is.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:48 pm

yes he's a celebrity...but for the love of God...he's been dead for hardly anytime at all. All I am saying is that out of respect for a family that JUST lost their husband/father....regardless if he is a celebrity or Joe Blow from down the street, he should not have done something so disrespectful.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:48 pm

I still don't think there was any reason to pick on Irwin, he could've mocked Cheney, Bush or somebody (like he usually does) but why Steve Irwin.

Everyone mocks Bush and Cheney.  That's old hat in this country anymore.  That's why I said it took balls for him to do this.  I think it was tasteless, but ballsy.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:50 pm

Not the whole world, but the whole campus.  However, that's not the point.  It's a free country....he can wear whatever he wants, no matter how tasteless it is.

so lets say that a close relative of yours just recently passed away, and Bill Maher just happened to know him/her...and he decided to dress up as your deceased relative for Halloween...would it still be ok?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:50 pm

yes he's a celebrity...but for the love of God...he's been dead for hardly anytime at all. All I am saying is that out of respect for a family that JUST lost their husband/father....regardless if he is a celebrity or Joe Blow from down the street, he should not have done something so disrespectful.

South Park did the same thing on their most recent episode.  In fact, South Park is usually first to jump on the "let's do the most tastless thing ever" bandwagon.  Terri Irwin complained about that episode....that episode was FAR MORE tasteless than Bill Maher's costume.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/31/06 at 11:51 pm

Wow, Yeah, It's a little too early for jokes.. Holy Crap.

Upon seeing how completely torn up Steve Irwin's wife is over his death, I find this to be just plain disgusting. I'm sure she'll see it, as well. People have no respect anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 11:51 pm

South Park did the same thing on their most recent episode.  In fact, South Park is usually first to jump on the "let's do the most tastless thing ever" bandwagon.  Terri Irwin complained about that episode....that episode was FAR MORE tasteless than Bill Maher's costume.
Both should not be watched.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:54 pm

so lets say that a close relative of yours just recently passed away, and Bill Maher just happened to know him/her...and he decided to dress up as your deceased relative for Halloween...would it still be ok?

No, but seeing as this is a free country, my opinion of the matter would mean jack squat.  You seem to think that I like Maher's costume....I don't.  However, I will give him kudoes for doing something so outrageous he got everyone to talk about him.  He's getting his name in the papers and his face on the news.....seeing as how all people talk about on TV anymore is the war and the war and the elections.....he got them to talk about him for a while.  No easy feat.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:56 pm

Both should not be watched.

Usually South Park does the "tasteless but funny" route, like when they lambasted Scientology, but this was just stupid.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:56 pm

No, but seeing as this is a free country, my opinion of the matter would mean jack squat. 

nevertheless....I would imagine that your spirits would be crushed.  I know mine would. And all due to the fact that some guy who is *trying* to be shocking or funny decides to mock the deceased by dressing up as him for Halloween.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/31/06 at 11:57 pm

No, but seeing as this is a free country, my opinion of the matter would mean jack squat.  You seem to think that I like Maher's costume....I don't.  However, I will give him kudoes for doing something so outrageous he got everyone to talk about him. 

Okay, so..

*Random person dressed as Sister Morphine's dead mother walks into the room*

Sister Morphine: *Walks up to random person* Hey, this is horrible! *nudges random person in a friendly manner* But, boy-oh-boy! I sure do give you props for being so damn ballsy, ya ol' jokester, you..!  :D

.. Somehow I don't see this happening. *Shrugs*

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:58 pm

nevertheless....I would imagine that your spirits would be crushed.  I know mine would. And all due to the fact that some guy who is *trying* to be shocking or funny decides to mock the deceased by dressing up as him for Halloween.

Of course I wouldn't be happy about it.  But if I had a relative who was a celebrity and put themselves out in the public sphere and then died.....I'd fully expect to hear and see both positive and negative things about it.  That doesn't mean it should be done, but that's the way some people treat celebrities in this society. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/31/06 at 11:59 pm

Okay, so..

*Random person dressed as Sister Morphine's dead mother walks into the room*

Sister Morphine: *Walks up to random person* Hey, this is horrible! *nudges random person in a friendly manner* But, boy-oh-boy! I sure do give you props for being so damn ballsy, ya ol' jokester, you..!  :D

.. Somehow I don't see this happening. *Shrugs*

I think you're missing the point of this.  No one in my family is famous, so the odds of Bill Maher....or anyone for that matter, dressing like one of my dead relatives is practically zero.  There's no reason for someone to dress up like a non-celebrity's dead relative.  Just because I think he has a brass pair for doing this, doesn't mean I think he should have done it.  Just the same as I think South Park went too far in their recent episode.

That said, my mother is still alive.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/01/06 at 12:04 am

I think you're missing the point of this.  No one in my family is famous, so the odds of Bill Maher....or anyone for that matter, dressing like one of my dead relatives is practically zero.  There's no reason for someone to dress up like a non-celebrity's dead relative.

That said, my mother isn't dead. 

Alright, let me do a quick edit, then:

*Random person dressed as Sister Morphine's dead mother WHO JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE FAMOUS, MIND YOU (!!) walks into the room*

Sister Morphine:*Walks up to random person DRESSED AS HER FAMOUS DEAD MOTHER, MIND YOU!!* Hey, this is horrible! *nudges random person, WHO, AGAIN, IS DRESSED AS HER FAMOUS DEAD MOTHER, in a friendly manner* But, boy-oh-boy! I sure do give you props for being so damn ballsy, ya ol' jokester, you..!

Better? By the way, in case you couldn't tell... it was a hypothetical scenario, ya ignorant (Oh, and don't forget heartless!) human.

=)

Written By: Brian06 on 11/01/06 at 12:07 am

He's got his free speech rights of course, but I won't give him any kudos or respect for doing something like this. Making fun of an innocent person who died deserves no credit.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 12:10 am

Alright, let me do a quick edit, then:

If my mother was a celebrity and put herself out in the public sphere, and she died in a shocking manner.....I wouldn't put it past some idiot to make fun of it.  Would I be happy about it?  No.  I guess this is one of those situations where when it happens to your family, you feel differently about it.  For example, I'm pro-death penalty.  But if someone in my family was convicted of capital murder, I don't know if I could support a death sentence for that person.  Because it's a member of my family, I'd feel differently about it.

And if you're going to insult me, at least do it in a PM.

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/06 at 12:20 am

TITLE FIGHT
BETH vs. BETH

ONE NIGHT ONLY

sorry, I couldn't resist  :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 12:21 am

No thanks. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/01/06 at 12:23 am

Wow.

I hope Beth wins.

:D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 12:24 am

Wow.

I hope Beth wins.

:D

That Beth is cagey, is she not?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/01/06 at 12:24 am

TITLE FIGHT
BETH vs. BETH

ONE NIGHT ONLY

sorry, I couldn't resist  :-[

Refereed by Becks?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 12:25 am

Refereed by Becks?

Can he be paid off?  I make a mean chocolate fudge cake.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/01/06 at 12:26 am

That Beth is cagey, is she not?

I forgot which Beth is which.

But Beth is neither right nor wrong. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/01/06 at 9:36 am

Ah, I've realized it's hard to get Beth mad at you intentionally. You gotta be innocent for her to snap at you!

Written By: Mushroom on 11/01/06 at 10:46 am

To me, a lot of this has to do with the timing.  Wearing such a costume so soon after the death of Steve Irwin is both very tacky, and un-cool.

I remember a friend a few years ago who went to a costume party as John Lennon.  Complete with a fake bullet hole in the center of his forehead, and a "bloody mess" on the back of his head.  Sure some people were offended, but after all it was over 20 years after the event, so a lot of the "shock" has been diluted over time.  But I am sure that if he had tried that in 1981, he might well have been shot himself for doing that.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 8:53 pm

It's still in very bad taste.  I mean you don't see people dressed up like Elvis on the toilet, or Michael Hutchence with a rope around his neck  ::)

Actually, Eminem parodied Elvis dying on the toilet in one of his videos and quite frankly, others have parodied the event since 1977. Who says no one did the same with Michael?

I can't believe the high status so many people (particularly Americans, which is the funny thing since many Australians barely tolerated him) put this guy on. He is a guy who mocked and harassed them for celebrity (you can challenge me on this, but he did) and for some reason, people aren't shocked that this was doomed to happen? Did anyone think for once that he may have bothered or scared the stingray so much that the ray felt compelled to protect itself. Oh, but wait, it's an animal what rights does it have?  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 9:03 pm

Actually, Eminem parodied Elvis dying on the toilet in one of his videos and quite frankly, others have parodied the event since 1977. Who says no one did the same with Michael?

I can't believe the high status so many people (particularly Americans, which is the funny thing since many Australians barely tolerated him) put this guy on. He is a guy who mocked and harassed them for celebrity (you can challenge me on this, but he did) and for some reason, people aren't shocked that this was doomed to happen? Did anyone think for once that he may have bothered or scared the stingray so much that the ray felt compelled to protect itself. Oh, but wait, it's an animal what rights does it have?  ::)

I <3 you.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 9:39 pm

I <3 you.

hahaha I doubt that you are less than anything!!! Roll with me, Love, you'll be just fine!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 9:45 pm

To me, a lot of this has to do with the timing.  Wearing such a costume so soon after the death of Steve Irwin is both very tacky, and un-cool.

I remember a friend a few years ago who went to a costume party as John Lennon.  Complete with a fake bullet hole in the center of his forehead, and a "bloody mess" on the back of his head.  Sure some people were offended, but after all it was over 20 years after the event, so a lot of the "shock" has been diluted over time.  But I am sure that if he had tried that in 1981, he might well have been shot himself for doing that.

Did you just compare Steve Irwin to John Lennon, Mushroom? The shame of it all,  ;)

Written By: Jessica on 11/01/06 at 9:53 pm

Gee, so I guess it's okay to make fun of someone because they MIGHT have pissed off some wildlife and gotten killed. Oh, and because they're from Australia and not really popular with the locals...hey, let's have a laugh over it! Forget about his widow and his kids and how they might feel because someone decided to be crude and make fun of someone they loved. Oh, and don't forget about the poor stingray! ::)

By the way, stingrays are hella good eats.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/01/06 at 10:04 pm

Gee, so I guess it's okay to make fun of someone because they MIGHT have pissed off some wildlife and gotten killed. Oh, and because they're from Australia and not really popular with the locals...hey, let's have a laugh over it! Forget about his widow and his kids and how they might feel because someone decided to be crude and make fun of someone they loved. Oh, and don't forget about the poor stingray! ::)

By the way, stingrays are hella good eats.

Like I said if you are really saddened by this and not moving on with your life that is somehow managing to go on, there are many ways to abide your time productively. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that there are widows and widowers born every day from the war in Iraq because of their husbands and wives actually doing something that pertains to us? Forgive me for not ridiculously grieving for a CELEBRITY!! Oh, the horror. You know I felt bad for the family a day, maybe two, after the incident. But then, I thought hell, there are more pressing issues to "grieve" over..like the state of my country and fellow country men, women, and children. Oh, yeah, grieve for the families in Africa who are burying their loved ones from curable diseases and infections. Oh, but wait, they didn't have a catchy catchphrase like "crikey" nor do they wear tight khaki shorts. Nevermind, I want to grieve for him.

BTW, what's the friggin' logic behind the timing of making light of something? So it's okay to joke after some time has passed? Isn't it just as wrong?

Your right, Sister, the guy was an ass for that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/01/06 at 10:11 pm

Everyone mocks Bush and Cheney.  That's old hat in this country anymore.  That's why I said it took balls for him to do this.  I think it was tasteless, but ballsy.

Capturing saltwater crocodiles (for there own benefit, of course) with your bare hands takes balls - this just takes a tremendous amount of insensitivity...

Written By: Jessica on 11/01/06 at 10:14 pm

Like I said if you are really saddened by this and not moving on with your life that is somehow managing to go on, there are many ways to abide your time productively. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that there are widows and widowers born every day from the war in Iraq because of their husbands and wives actually doing something that pertains to us? Forgive me for not ridiculously grieving for a CELEBRITY!! Oh, the horror. You know I felt bad for the family a day, maybe two, after the incident. But then, I thought hell, there are more pressing issues to "grieve" over..like the state of my country and fellow country men, women, and children. Oh, yeah, grieve for the families in Africa who are burying their loved ones from curable diseases and infections. Oh, but wait, they didn't have a catchy catchphrase like "crikey" nor do they wear tight khaki shorts. Nevermind, I want to grieve for him.

BTW, what's the friggin' logic behind the timing of making light of something? So it's okay to joke after some time has passed? Isn't it just as wrong?

Your right, Sister, the guy was an ass for that.

I'm well aware of what goes on in the world. I don't need a current events lesson from you.

It is not right to make fun of someone who died, whether they are popular or not. Yes, I am pissed about Bill Maher acting like a douche and doing this, and I would've been just as pissed if he had picked something else equally tasteless. Like maybe Martin Luther King, Jr., complete with a bullet hole. Or even some poor victim of a senseless act of violence. Or someone who has lost a limb in that good for nothing "war on terror".

And you're damned right I feel for his family. It's called sympathy. It's the same thing I feel for every person that has lost a loved one, be it through illness, murder, drug overdose, war, or just plain stupidity.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 10:15 pm

Capturing saltwater crocodiles (for there own benefit, of course) with your bare hands takes balls - this just takes a tremendous amount of insensitivity...

It takes balls to be that insensitive and not give a sh*t.  I'll say again for about the 29837498728972743487394th time that I don't agree with the costume.....I thought it was stupid and tacky, much like the South Park episode that basically did the same thing.  People are confusing me saying he had balls to do that with saying that I agree with him doing it.  There's a difference. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/01/06 at 10:17 pm

"Balls" = idiocy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/01/06 at 10:18 pm

It takes balls to be that insensitive and not give a sh*t.  I'll say again for about the 29837498728972743487394th time that I don't agree with the costume.....I thought it was stupid and tacky, much like the South Park episode that basically did the same thing.  People are confusing me saying he had balls to do that with saying that I agree with him doing it.  There's a difference. 

Well, ballsy or not, I think what he did pretty much ruined his character in the eyes of many people. No matter what 'reason' he had for doing it. Sure, I admit, you need some courage to do that, but it's hardly something that should be ADMIRED, in the context of things. Unless you're the type who doesn't care about anybody else.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 10:20 pm

Well, ballsy or not, I think what he did pretty much ruined his character in the eyes of many people. No matter what 'reason' he had for doing it. Sure, I admit, you need some courage to do that, but it's hardly something that should be ADMIRED, in the context of things. Unless you're the type who doesn't care about anybody else.

I don't think he should be admired for what he did and if anything I said made you or anyone else think that that's what I meant, than I apologize.  That wasn't the point I was trying to make. 

And I don't think Bill Maher cares about whether or not this ruined his character. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 10:20 pm

"Balls" = idiocy.

There are many situations in life where this is 100% accurate.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/01/06 at 10:20 pm

And I don't think Bill Maher cares about whether or not this ruined his character. 

Probably because he's retarded.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/01/06 at 10:21 pm

He sure won't be welcome Downunder any time soon...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 10:22 pm

Probably because he's retarded.

He's actually quite smart, but even smart people do extremely dumb sh*t sometimes.  We're all guilty of that.  He did it because he knew he would shock people and piss them off.  It's juvenile, but it worked.  He got everyone to talk about him and this dumb costume of his. 

Written By: Brian06 on 11/01/06 at 10:23 pm

I don't think he should be admired for what he did and if anything I said made you or anyone else think that that's what I meant, than I apologize.  That wasn't the point I was trying to make. 

I think it was when you said that you gave him "kudos" (ie praise) for having the "balls" to do this that people confused what you meant. It sounded as if you said it was tasteless but I praise him for doing it, which doesn't sound good.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/01/06 at 10:24 pm

I think it was when you said that you gave him "kudos" (ie praise) for having the "balls" to do this that people confused what you meant. It sounded as if you said it was tasteless but I prise him for doing it, which doesn't sound good.

I used the wrong word, that's my fault.  I was trying to say that I thought it took a lot of balls for him to wear that costume so soon after Irwin's death and basically not give a sh*t if people got pissed off at him. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/01/06 at 10:29 pm

There are many situations in life where this is 100% accurate.

And we're not just taking about the Y Chromosome ;-)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/02/06 at 10:37 am

Did you just compare Steve Irwin to John Lennon, Mushroom? The shame of it all,  ;)

No, what I am comparing is the tragic death of 2 people, and how you need to be respectful.

John Lennon was beloved by a generation of people world wide.  Steve Irwin was beloved mostly by children.  Most adults did not really get him, but because our kids liked him we smiled and went along with it.

When somebody dies suddenly and tragically, it is really tacky to then go out and mock that just a month or so later.  And the impact is made even stronger when it is somebody like Steve Irwin, who was a champion of environmentalism and animal protection.

And sometimes, it is always "to soon".  I think if my friend had showd up dressed as JFK with a bullet wound in the throat and head, he might have likely been lynched.  Mocking the death of somebody that many consider to be a hero is very uncool.  Of course, I find that the mocking of almost any death to be uncool.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/06 at 7:00 pm

No, what I am comparing is the tragic death of 2 people, and how you need to be respectful.

John Lennon was beloved by a generation of people world wide.  Steve Irwin was beloved mostly by children.  Most adults did not really get him, but because our kids liked him we smiled and went along with it.

When somebody dies suddenly and tragically, it is really tacky to then go out and mock that just a month or so later.  And the impact is made even stronger when it is somebody like Steve Irwin, who was a champion of environmentalism and animal protection.

And sometimes, it is always "to soon".  I think if my friend had showd up dressed as JFK with a bullet wound in the throat and head, he might have likely been lynched.  Mocking the death of somebody that many consider to be a hero is very uncool.  Of course, I find that the mocking of almost any death to be uncool.

Well said. :)

Despite being insightful/funny at times, there was something about Bill Maher that never sat well with me anyway, but this really lowered my opinion of him.

I remember over the last few years, whenever people would talk about Steve, oftentimes they'd casually say something like "Geez, I wonder if he's gonna get bitten by a croc one of these days." I'm sure I did too. At the time, nobody really thought too much about it. Back then, I'm sure a costume like that would've been marginally tacky at worst, but not offensive or anything. When someone dies, though, things like that really get seen in a different light.

Yeah, it's good to have "balls" for certain things (to an extent, rebelling and pushing the envelope keeps society going -- heck, we could still be stuck in a 1956 mindset where Elvis dancing was considered the end of the world, lol). This isn't one of those. If he'd done something semi controversial to make a political statement or protesting, I could see applauding that.

However, I just don't think making fun of someone's tragic death, especially such an icon like Steve was, is appropriate. Just like millions of others, I'm sad about his passing too. :\'(

Written By: YWN on 11/02/06 at 7:15 pm

That's disappointing, especially since I thought Bill Maher was such a funny guy.  I think that goes beyond poor taste.  I understand that he's trying to "push the limit" and he probably thinks its hip that people are screaming at him about this, but honestly, there's a line between being a nonconformist and being an insensitive jackass.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/02/06 at 7:19 pm

I remember over the last few years, whenever people would talk about Steve, oftentimes they'd casually say something like "Geez, I wonder if he's gonna get bitten by a croc one of these days." At the time, nobody really thought too much about it. I'm sure a costume like that would've been at worst, marginally offensive, but not really bad, but after he died of course, things like that really get seen in a different light.

So true.  In fact, if he had dressed up last year as Steve Irwin with a bloody mess where a croc had bitten him, it would have been considered funny and witty.  But doing something like that after his death, that is not funny, that's sick.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/02/06 at 7:35 pm

Mushroom, you are not in any position to tell me or any one to be respectful. Respect is earned, not just granted for the sake of it. While I said it was sad for the first couple of days, I'm not overly pensive about it and I have the cajones to say that. Don't go generalizing the term hero. He wasn't an hero to everyone. Most of my students wasn't even aware of who he was. They consider many of their community leaders heroic. Making someone a hero is very subjective.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/06 at 7:37 pm

Well said. :)

I never really liked Bill Maher to begin with anyway, but this really lowered my opinion of him. :(

I remember over the last few years, whenever people would talk about Steve, oftentimes they'd casually say something like "Geez, I wonder if he's gonna get bitten by a croc one of these days." At the time, nobody really thought too much about it. I'm sure a costume like that would've been at worst, marginally offensive, but not really bad, but after he died of course, things like that really get seen in a different light.

Yeah, it's good to have "balls" for certain things (to an extent, rebelling and pushing the envelope keeps society going -- heck, we could still be stuck in a 1956 mindset where Elvis dancing was considered the end of the world, lol). This isn't one of those, though. If he'd done something semi controversial to make a political statement or protesting, I could see applauding that.

I just don't think making fun of someone's tragic death, especially such an icon like Steve was, is appropriate, though.

applause!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...