inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pink Flamingos going extinct

Written By: Mushroom on 11/02/06 at 10:40 am

Union Products Inc, the maker of the "Pink Flamingo" lawn ornament is going out of business. 

First created in 1957, the Pink Flamingo has been an icon of urban life, and has been ridiculed and loved by millions of people.

However, the molds are for sale, and the company hopes that somebody will buy them and continue making them.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/11/01/100bus_pink001.cfm

Subject: Re: Pink Flamingos going extinct

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/06 at 1:00 pm

I always liked those plastic Pink Flamingos.  If they cease making them, maybe people will start putting actual Flamingos on their lawns, or Christopher Cross album covers

Written By: Mushroom on 11/02/06 at 1:46 pm

I always liked those plastic Pink Flamingos.  If they cease making them, maybe people will start putting actual Flamingos on their lawns, or Christopher Cross album covers

Well, we have to put something there.  Both Lawn Jockeys and Garden Gnomes are politically incorrect nowadays.

Written By: Marian on 11/02/06 at 2:01 pm

Union Products Inc, the maker of the "Pink Flamingo" lawn ornament is going out of business. 

First created in 1957, the Pink Flamingo has been an icon of urban life, and has been ridiculed and loved by millions of people.

However, the molds are for sale, and the company hopes that somebody will buy them and continue making them.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/11/01/100bus_pink001.cfm
I never thought only 1 copmpany made them!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/06 at 6:53 pm

Well, we have to put something there.  Both Lawn Jockeys and Garden Gnomes are politically incorrect nowadays.

Lawn Jockeys, obviously, but why garden gnomes?

Long ago my grandmother rented a house in Greenwich, CT.  There was one of those Lawn Jockeys right at the start of the walkway.  Yep, a Lawn Jockey with the pop-eyes, the exaggerated lips, and the lantern!  I thought it was adorable.  I was eight.  My mom had to explain to me why it wasn't adorable at all.  Ironically, when my grandma's family had money, they had an African-American "manservant" named Jarvis.  My grandma never mentioned Jarvis.  Only later did I hear relatives talk about the late Jarvis in the most condescending manner.  I saw photos of him in the old family albums.  I hate to say it this way, but he could have been the artist's model for the lawn jockey.  What I mean is back in the '40s, rich white people required certain attire, comportment, and mannerisms from Blacks in their employ.  I guess Jarvis was just doing the best he could for himself and his family.  Anyway, a lot had changed in 30 years.  All the money was gone and so was Jarvis.  The only rich blood relatives I have to this day are ones who married into it.  Back in 1977, my grandmother had changed too.  She wanted the lawn jockey removed.  The lady who owned the house refused to have it removed.  In lieu, my grandmother painted it white.  The whole thing from base to apex!
http://www.overworm.com/NothingToSeeHere/NTSH%20Images/LawnJockeySambo.jpg

But I digress from topic.

I'm sure there will always be a kitsch niche for Pink Flamingos.  As long as college kids watch John Waters' movies, there will be a market demand.  As the article mentions, there are already knock-offs of the Union Products original.  Perhaps it would be a smart marketing move for the company to license the "Featherstone Original" Pink Flamingo to whatever novelty firm bids for it.  Market as: "Featherstone Original--Accept no substitutes!"

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002RQ3M0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg http://valiante.plugnpay.com/scstore/graphics/Pink%20Flamingos%20Large.jpg

Written By: Mushroom on 11/02/06 at 7:31 pm

Lawn Jockeys, obviously, but why garden gnomes?

Because they are insensitive to people with height deficiencies.

Actually, Lawn Jockeys have a rather distinct history.  About 10 years ago, I was watching an interview of Oprah Winfrey, and she was talking about her collection of "African Memorabelia".

Most of it would be considered "offensive", Aunt Jemima pitchers, mammy statues, pickaninny dolls, and the like.  She is a rather avid collector, and regularly loans items out for exhibitions.  Part of the collection was around 20 Lawn Jockey's, many of them dating to the 1850's.

It was during that interview that I learned of the connection between the Jockeys, and the Underground Railroad.  In many areas of the South, various "Conductors" would use the Jockeys to indicate either safe houses, or houses to avoid.  She said one of the reasons this started, is that houses that were part of the Railroad obviously did not have slaves, so they used the statue as "hitching posts".  So when a runaway slave ran across one, it meant the owners of the house were more likely to hide them (or look the other way).  Eventually codes sprang up around them, with different colours or symbols (red or green hats, red or green lens on the lanterns, etc) used to indicate if a runaway could stop, or keep moving to the next station.

So while the "Lawn Jockey" is often now considered to be offensive and an item of disgrace, at one time it played it's own part in helping runaway slaves escape north to freedom.

http://www.mountainhomeplace.com/jocko.htm

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/02/06 at 7:38 pm

Yes, I read an article about this a few days ago. I've always wanted a pair of them...not for my yard, but for something quirky for my house. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/06 at 8:16 pm

Because they are insensitive to people with height deficiencies.

I figured it might have been a "little people's" advocacy group behind the complaint.  If anybody is sensitive to height issues, I am.  I started a whole thread about it!  I don't qualify as a "little person," just shorter than average.  The thing is a gnomb is a humanoid creature of mythology.  I don't suppose that makes any difference.  I have heard of short people being compared to gnombs if the individual is perceived to have gnomb-like features.  I have only once heard the word "gnomb" used as an overtly disparaging term.  In mythology, gnombs are universally benificent, intelligent, clever, and industrious.  I don't suppose that makes any difference either.  It's hard to be short in a society that exalts tall stature.  Thus, a lot of short people and "little people" (aka dwarfs) are hypersensitive.

Actually, Lawn Jockeys have a rather distinct history.  About 10 years ago, I was watching an interview of Oprah Winfrey, and she was talking about her collection of "African Memorabelia".

Most of it would be considered "offensive", Aunt Jemima pitchers, mammy statues, pickaninny dolls, and the like.  She is a rather avid collector, and regularly loans items out for exhibitions.  Part of the collection was around 20 Lawn Jockey's, many of them dating to the 1850's.

It was during that interview that I learned of the connection between the Jockeys, and the Underground Railroad.  In many areas of the South, various "Conductors" would use the Jockeys to indicate either safe houses, or houses to avoid.  She said one of the reasons this started, is that houses that were part of the Railroad obviously did not have slaves, so they used the statue as "hitching posts".  So when a runaway slave ran across one, it meant the owners of the house were more likely to hide them (or look the other way).  Eventually codes sprang up around them, with different colours or symbols (red or green hats, red or green lens on the lanterns, etc) used to indicate if a runaway could stop, or keep moving to the next station.

So while the "Lawn Jockey" is often now considered to be offensive and an item of disgrace, at one time it played it's own part in helping runaway slaves escape north to freedom.

http://www.mountainhomeplace.com/jocko.htm

Yes, this is an interesting historical explanation, but there was no underground railroad in the 20th century.  Whatever the motives were of rich, white suburbanites posting little statues of Black men with exaggerated negroid features, I guarantee the following sentence was never uttered, "Honey, today we install this lawn jockey in honor of the brave men and women who made the underground railroad possible!"
;D

Written By: Stompgal on 11/06/06 at 3:47 am

When I saw the title of this topic, I was worried about actual flamingos becoming exinct. This century the penguin and the orangutan are under threat of extinction and I read that in my latest Bliss magazines.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/06/06 at 4:19 am

there's a lady who lives about a mile from me, who had her front yard covered with them and now most of them are gone and have become extinct. I'm sure they were stolen so she has now decorated her front yard with toilet bowl planters and they look ghastly, but no one has stolen any of those yet.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/06 at 6:17 pm

The famous Pink Flamingos were made in Leominster Massachusetts which was once the plastics capital of the world.  I always had two on my lawn and loved the fact that they were made within 50 miles of my house.  Of course now they and all the jobs they provided will go elsewhere, it will not be the same.

As to lawn jockeys, they s*ck, I don't care what they once meant.  It is not well known that at one time all the major jockeys were slaves, and then African Americans.  The first Derby winners were African American. That lasted until post reconstruction when Jim Crow laws made it impossible for for blacks to continue to race.  You see they won and it didn't go down well with the powers that be that not only could they outride the white riders, but they were also making damn good money.  Why is it that you can see the caricatures such as the one Max has put up, but you will probably never ever see a statue of the first winners of the Derby any where, any time?  (it isn't necessary to answer, we all know why now don't we)

www.kentuckyderby.com/2006/derby_history/african_americans_in_the_derby/jockeys.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/06 at 1:22 am

Interesting.  I did not know that about African-Americans and the Kentucky Derby.

Denying lawn jockeys are racist symbols is like denying the RNC wasn't playing the atavistic fear of mscegenation against Harold Ford.  One can tell a different story, but the obvious is in your face!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/07/06 at 1:27 am

I don't understand why people put that sh*t on their lawns anyway, be they lawn jockeys, garden gnomes or pink flamingoes.  I think it takes away from the overall beauty of however you landscaped the front of your home.  My dad and I were out getting some groceries and we passed this gorgeous home that had one of the nicest landscaped lawns and gardens I had seen.  And smack in the middle of it was this huge garden gnome.  It just made it look messy. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 1:41 am

Interesting.  I did not know that about African-Americans and the Kentucky Derby.

Denying lawn jockeys are racist symbols is like denying the RNC wasn't playing the atavistic fear of mscegenation against Harold Ford.  One can tell a different story, but the obvious is in your face!
what the heck did you just say Max?  I'm not looking in the dictionary because I'm lazy & if we have a real life meeting, you better talk in words I can understand  ;D  please

As to lawn jockeys, they s*ck, I don't care what they once meant.  It is not well known that at one time all the major jockeys were slaves, and then African Americans.  The first Derby winners were African American. That lasted until post reconstruction when Jim Crow laws made it impossible for for blacks to continue to race.  You see they won and it didn't go down well with the powers that be that not only could they outride the white riders, but they were also making damn good money.  Why is it that you can see the caricatures such as the one Max has put up, but you will probably never ever see a statue of the first winners of the Derby any where, any time?  (it isn't necessary to answer, we all know why now don't we)

www.kentuckyderby.com/2006/derby_history/african_americans_in_the_derby/jockeys.html
as far as the world has come in this area, there is still a lot of prejudice everywhere Danoota and at all levels of society. and it's not just against black americans, but in this example cited it is hard to stomach and makes me cringe at how bad things were.  I think a movie about a  black jockey would be a good way to tell that story and an eye opener for many of us.
and then there are the Pink Flamingos, who's watching out for them?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/07/06 at 1:46 am

what the heck did you just say Max?  I'm not looking in the dictionary because I'm lazy & if we have a real life meeting, you better talk in words I can understand  ;D  please

I can't help you on atavistic, but miscegenation is basically blacks and whites marrying each other or having sex with each other.  A lot of Southern states had anti-miscegenation laws on the books prohibiting blacks and whites from marrying. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 1:50 am

I can't help you on atavistic, but miscegenation is basically blacks and whites marrying each other or having sex with each other.  A lot of Southern states had anti-miscegenation laws on the books prohibiting blacks and whites from marrying. 
thanks, & is there another word for that?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/06 at 5:08 pm

I left the "i" out of miscegenation, so that might add to the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation

Atavism is a phenomenon occurring in genetics.  However, it is applied less formally applied to cultural trends.
atavism \AT-uh-viz-uhm\, noun:
1. The reappearance in an organism of characteristics of some remote ancestor after several generations of absence.
2. One that exhibits atavism; a throwback.
3. Reversion to an earlier behavior, outlook, or approach.

Miscegenation basically referred to "race mixing" in marriage and sexual relations.  Up until the 1960s, many states outlawed men and women of different races to get married.  The Supreme Court finally ruled miscegenation unconstitutional in the case of Loving v. Virginia in 1967.  A few states kept it on the books, though they could not enforce it.  Alabama had it on the books until 2000. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

So the "atavistic fear of miscegenation" referred to an attitude of hatred still lingering in the minds of many Americans nearly forty years after miscegenation was outlawed.  It became taboo in all but the most ignorant and racist of circles to openly condemn sex/marriage between people of different "races."  Prevalent social and educational trends have condemned anti-miscegenation as a shameful throwback to Jim Crow and slavery.  However, it is hard to lose in two generations deeply held beliefs going back hundreds of years.  Hence, if you suggest Harold Ford consorts with white women, you can arouse the old prejudice.  It works.  More White men than will ever admit it hate the idea of Black men having sex with White women.  It drives them crazy...especially the notion that White women want to have sex with Black men.

The whole thing is ugly to the core.  However, when you are desperate to win at all costs....
>:(

thanks, & is there another word for that?

I don't know a single word synonym, but the white supremicists, the klukkers, and the neo-nazis like the term "race mixing."  The racists out there will say they hate any mixing of white people with any other "race."  However, the only combination that arouses that primeval fear and hatred is Black man/White woman.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 5:49 pm

I left the "i" out of miscegenation, so that might add to the confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation

Atavism is a phenomenon occurring in genetics.  However, it is applied less formally applied to cultural trends.
atavism \AT-uh-viz-uhm\, noun:
1. The reappearance in an organism of characteristics of some remote ancestor after several generations of absence.
2. One that exhibits atavism; a throwback.
3. Reversion to an earlier behavior, outlook, or approach.

Miscegenation basically referred to "race mixing" in marriage and sexual relations.  Up until the 1960s, many states outlawed men and women of different races to get married.  The Supreme Court finally ruled miscegenation unconstitutional in the case of Loving v. Virginia in 1967.  A few states kept it on the books, though they could not enforce it.  Alabama had it on the books until 2000. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

So the "atavistic fear of miscegenation" referred to an attitude of hatred still lingering in the minds of many Americans nearly forty years after miscegenation was outlawed.  It became taboo in all but the most ignorant and racist of circles to openly condemn sex/marriage between people of different "races."  Prevalent social and educational trends have condemned anti-miscegenation as a shameful throwback to Jim Crow and slavery.  However, it is hard to lose in two generations deeply held beliefs going back hundreds of years.  Hence, if you suggest Harold Ford consorts with white women, you can arouse the old prejudice.  It works.  More White men than will ever admit it hate the idea of Black men having sex with White women.  It drives them crazy...especially the notion that White women want to have sex with Black men.

The whole thing is ugly to the core.  However, when you are desperate to win at all costs....
>:(
I don't know a single word synonym, but the white supremicists, the klukkers, and the neo-nazis like the term "race mixing."  The racists out there will say they hate any mixing of white people with any other "race."  However, the only combination that arouses that primeval fear and hatred is Black man/White woman.
thanks a bunch Max, I appreciate you providing the details and definitions since I was too lazy to look it up myself.
karma for your willingness to help me understand.

Check for new replies or respond here...