inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Neil Patrick Harris Comes out of the Closet

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/04/06 at 4:42 pm

According to the news wires, Neil Patrick Harris, of "Doogie Houser" fame, and the guy who plays the priaptic Barney on "How I Met Your Mother" has made an official announcement that he is, in fact, gay.

Subject: Re: Neil Patrick Harris Comes out of the Closet

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/06 at 4:47 pm

I honestly cannot say I am surprised

I really like him on "How I Met Your Mother".  I hope that show isn't next to get cancelled, I really enjoy it

Written By: guest on 11/04/06 at 4:58 pm

WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO????????

Maybe a new reality show can be made whos' the next star to come out?

(No Joey Lawrence refereces please....)

Wanna place money on Daniel Radcliffe?

Actually Peter Firth did Equus and seemed to be straight... usually when I hear a known young celeb does nude plays they later come out as gay....the Brits do it for an art I think...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 5:41 pm

The world isn't coming to anything.  He's gay.  He didn't come out and say he was a serial killer. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/04/06 at 6:50 pm

I really like him on "How I Met Your Mother".  I hope that show isn't next to get cancelled, I really enjoy it

Really?  I am totally surprised.  This is shocking to find out this guy is gay, he seemed nerdy as a kid, but not gay or effeminate.  A lot of gay guys usually have this other vibe about them, like the kid from Who's the Boss?, or Lance Bass the N'SYNC dude. 

But if that's who Neil iis, that's who he is.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/04/06 at 7:02 pm

Really?  I am totally surprised.  This is shocking to find out this guy is gay, he seemed nerdy as a kid, but not gay or effeminate.  Gay guys usually have this other vibe about them, like the kid from Who's the Boss?, or Lance Bass the N'SYNC dude. 

But if that's who Neil iis, that's who he is.

Not all gay men are effeminate.  My best male friend on the planet is a gay man and unless you saw him screwing a guy, you'd never know he was gay.  It doesn't mean he doesn't like being gay or that he's straight-acting, he's just not your stereotypical gay man. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/04/06 at 7:52 pm

Good for him, I say.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/04/06 at 8:09 pm

WHAT'S THE WORLD COMING TO????????

Maybe a new reality show can be made whos' the next star to come out?

(No Joey Lawrence refereces please....)

Wanna place money on Daniel Radcliffe?

My money s on Mario Lopez  ;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/04/06 at 8:45 pm

Don't worry, the show won't get cancelled anytime soon.

It's one of my favorite shows right now, and he really cracks me up as Barney. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/06 at 11:08 pm

This wasn't a surprise to me...I thought he was anyway. ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/06 at 11:31 pm

The world isn't coming to anything.  He's gay.  He didn't come out and say he was a serial killer. 

That would be interesting...

Doogie Hauser meets Harold Shipman!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/darkangel.gif

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/06 at 12:59 pm

I actually never really suspected it. I thought he was married all this time. I guess I was getting him confused with that other blond '80s straight guy, Ricky Schroeder.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/06 at 1:10 pm

Not all gay men are effeminate.  My best male friend on the planet is a gay man and unless you saw him screwing a guy, you'd never know he was gay.  It doesn't mean he doesn't like being gay or that he's straight-acting, he's just not your stereotypical gay man. 

Yeah, gay guys are as diverse as straight guys. There's a stereotype that they're super effeminate. Even if some are, most don't all act like Queer Eye For the Straight Guy or anything. For instance, I worked with this guy last year who I'm now pretty good friends with. I didn't realize he was gay until a couple months after I met him (it just never came up at first), but since he's pretty straight acting, I don't think I would've suspected it if I didn't know.

As for NPH, I wasn't familar enough with him to detect if he was gay or not, but I'm usually not that surprised when certain stars say that they are. Although most usually wait till their mainstream popularity dies down a bit to reveal it, out of fear of alienating fans. I always thought that was stupid (not the waiting part, but the idea that fans would turn their backs on them. Especially admirers). For instance, I'm sure if Lance fron NSync said this back in 1999, alot of girls would've been devastated. Hell, I wouldn't care if Lea Thompson from BTTF said she was a lesbian (although I'm pretty sure she isn't). ;)

Written By: spaceace on 11/05/06 at 1:43 pm

Nope doesn't surprise me.  Oh well, life goes on. :)

Written By: Marian on 11/05/06 at 4:06 pm

Good for him,though i believe most people attracted to pople of the same sex are open to either but have been attracted to more individuals of the same sex.i think many don't care about the package,just the soul that resides within.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/05/06 at 7:53 pm

I actually never really suspected it. I thought he was married all this time. I guess I was getting him confused with that other blond '80s straight guy, Ricky Schroeder.

There's been talk...  ;)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/05/06 at 8:44 pm

Apparently coming out and saying you're gay is far worse than coming out and saying you're a serial killer according to some people.  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/05/06 at 9:53 pm

Apparently coming out and saying you're gay is far worse than coming out and saying you're a serial killer according to some people.  ::)

Those are sad, sad individuals.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/06/06 at 6:43 am

Good for him,though i believe most people attracted to pople of the same sex are open to either but have been attracted to more individuals of the same sex.i think many don't care about the package,just the soul that resides within.
You haven't known many gay people have you?  I've only known 1 who "was open to either", the rest of them have been STRICTLY "same sex".

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/06/06 at 9:19 am

This wasn't a surprise to me...I thought he was anyway. ???

Me too.  Good for him for coming out though.

Written By: Jessica on 11/06/06 at 12:31 pm

No surprise.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/06/06 at 3:02 pm

You haven't known many gay people have you?  I've only known 1 who "was open to either", the rest of them have been STRICTLY "same sex".

Yeah, bisexual and gay are entirely different. I'm guessing Marian is thinking of bi's?

Only somebody stuck in the 19th Century would genuinely feel that way (although some apparently do). Plus, as far as the general public and the fans are concerned, I'd say it's maybe a 1 in 50 million chance they'll ever meet or get to know these stars personally, so why would they care?

I can understand some of the stars whose fame relies heavily on an opposite sex fanbase, deciding to stay in the closet. But even that's kinda unfortunate they should feel they "have to".

Written By: guest on 11/08/06 at 2:28 pm

DIDN'T I TELL YOU...FIRST NPH MAKES HIS ANNOUNCEMENT, Brittney divorces!!, NOW RUMSFELD RESIGNS!!!!

It's a sign I tell ya!!!  

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/06 at 3:37 pm

DIDN'T I TELL YOU...FIRST NPH MAKES HIS ANNOUNCEMENT, Brittney divorces!!, NOW RUMSFELD RESIGNS!!!!

It's a sign I tell ya!!!  

What kind of sign?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/08/06 at 3:42 pm

It's a sign I tell ya!!! 

A sign you're looking for signs where there aren't any?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 12:44 am

I look forward to the day when homosexuals don't have to "come out of the closet" any more than heterosexuals have to "come out of the closet."
::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 1:42 am

I look forward to the day when homosexuals don't have to "come out of the closet" any more than heterosexuals have to "come out of the closet."
::)

Heterosexuals come out of the closet?  I wasn't aware of this.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 11/09/06 at 9:09 am

Heterosexuals come out of the closet?  I wasn't aware of this.
Of course, but they're not dressed NEARLY as well when they do ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/09/06 at 9:11 am

Of course, but they're not dressed NEARLY as well when they do ;)

Naturally.  Everyone knows straights can't dress.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 4:41 pm

Naturally.  Everyone knows straights can't dress.

I can.  But I don't give enough of a d@mn to bother!
;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/06 at 12:50 am

I was kind of surprised. I always figured him to be kind of a "ladies man."

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/06 at 12:29 am

this is about as much news as when Danny Pintauro (Jonathan on Who's the Boss) and Lance Bass came out... Was anyone really surprised by these?  I say good for him! Even though its none of our business its good that he can be straight (pun kinda intended) about who he really is! 

Love ya NPH

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/11/06 at 7:09 am

I can understand some of the stars whose fame relies heavily on an opposite sex fanbase, deciding to stay in the closet. But even that's kinda unfortunate they should feel they "have to".

Kinda unfortunate?  I'd say it is kinda obvious.

If somebody's fame/career is based on being a stud or vixen to the opposite sex, coming out as gay is gonna burst the bubble of all those fans... kills their fantasy that they somehow possibly could be with the star.

If you're gonna be a sex symbol, you can't be confusing the fan base, that violates the deal. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/deal.gif.

Written By: KKay on 11/13/06 at 9:44 am

I still don't know why htese things have to be announced.  Why should we care?

Written By: spaceace on 11/13/06 at 2:24 pm

He's probably going to marry some cute guy.  THen they're going to adopt some cute kids.  Rosie O'Donnell eat your heart out!!! :) :) :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/13/06 at 8:59 pm

I still don't know why htese things have to be announced.  Why should we care?

I dunno, I wonder if it has anything to do with someone threatening to expose the celebrity so they figure they'll say it first.  Or maybe his boyfriend happens to be T.R. Knight and they'll decide to make their relationship public.  :D

My sister and I always thought he was gay, so it wasn't a shock to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...