inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Borat ruled!

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/05/06 at 12:55 pm

Truely one of the funniest films ever, instant classic. I was almost in tears through about 80% of the film.

Ranks right up there with Blazing Saddles or something else of that caliber.

I've noticed that a lot of people like to dismiss Borat as "dumb", they don't really get it and really need to learn a thing or two about subtlety.

There's a certain sophistication to Borat that I think a lot of people don't get. If you watched the Ali G show, you understand that every character that Sascha plays has a certain intention when they do interviews and talk to people. Throughout every character that he does, his main goal is to point out absurdities in common, everyday thinking and to oust people's idiocy by getting them all tied up in their own words.

Characters like Borat do that very well because they take on a role that has a much different perspective than your average American / civilized person. The character Borat that he plays tries to identify with people who are about as dumb as rocks, and then gets them to agree with him when he says ridiculous things.

One of the best moments that I liked from the trailer of the Borat movie was when he says, "We support your war of terror." No one in the audience notices the supposed 'grammatical imperfection' because he is, of course, a foreigner. So they all cheer, even though they're technically cheering for something they might not agree with if they were to be sat down and had it explained to them.

It's very, very good humor. Anyone that doesn't appreciate it simply isn't smart enough to comprehend the level that Sascha Cohen is working at.

Subject: Re: Borat ruled!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/05/06 at 8:02 pm

What man up there said.  He speak truth.  Journalist?  Pah!  Journalist, he can only tell you news.  But comedian.  Ah, comedian, it take  comedian tell you TRUTH!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/06/06 at 1:04 am

I just saw "Borat" today with my older brother and my 13-year-old nephew. (I'm still wondering if it was a good idea to take my nephew along, even though he was laughing as hard as the rest of us.)

I too thought it was funny as hell and I thought it took some real balls for him to make this film. (I have to wonder how he and his crew made it out of that rodeo in one piece.)

One of the best moments that I liked from the trailer of the Borat movie was when he says, "We support your war of terror." No one in the audience notices the supposed 'grammatical imperfection' because he is, of course, a foreigner. So they all cheer, even though they're technically cheering for something they might not agree with if they were to be sat down and had it explained to them.

"My husband is retired."

"He is retard?" 

(I thought that scene seemed a little bit cruel, because his hosts seemed like they were genuinely nice people who were trying to make him and his crew feel welcome, but when he came back with that "bag" I still about fell out of my chair.)

"We're going to have to call the sheriff!"

"Yes, call sheriff! The retard has escaped!"  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 11/06/06 at 3:43 am

I saw Borat on Saturday and it was hilarious. There was the most laughter in the auditorium since Little Man, which I also thought was funny.

Written By: zcrito on 11/06/06 at 6:47 am

Last month I saw that first 4 minutes of it on the internet and didn't think it was amusing at all. I thought it was pretty lame and not very imaginative.  I know that

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/06/06 at 7:00 am

Last month I saw that first 4 minutes of it on the internet and didn't think it was amusing at all. I thought it was pretty lame and not very imaginative.  I know that

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/06/06 at 10:57 am

It's not you.  A lot of people I know have been doing nothing but talking about how great this film is, how funny it is.....quoting lines over and over again and I keep thinking "I'm supposed to laugh?"  I don't have a sense of humor attuned to toilet humor, people intentionally botching up the English language....stuff like that just doesn't strike me.  So you're not alone in thinking that it's not very funny. 

Your reaction sounds like mine. I think the people that saw it never saw his show on HBO and so they think that was funny as opposed to what was actually funny on his show.

Written By: Jessica on 11/06/06 at 12:34 pm

Eh, I made my feelings known about this character a couple of months ago. I'm smart enough to comprehend it, I just don't think he's funny or witty.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/06/06 at 4:19 pm

Okay then. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/06/06 at 6:08 pm

Okay then. ::)

That's right and don't you forget it.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/06 at 3:34 am

Haven't seen Borat yet but I just watched The Papdits on CBS Innertube and that was very funny! Its from the writers of Borat and Ali G with a Kashmiri family travelling across the US in an RV meeting and offending everyone they come in contact with along the way!

Written By: velvetoneo on 11/12/06 at 9:32 am

My grandmother enjoyed it.

Written By: La Roche on 11/12/06 at 10:35 am

Without a doubt the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. I've not laughed so much for years.

I actually fell on my ass laughing when he came back with the bag of turds.  ;D

I think the funniest part was when he and his manager wrestled and then ran through the mortgage brokers meeting naked.  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/12/06 at 11:01 am

I think the funniest part was when he and his manager wrestled and then ran through the mortgage brokers meeting naked.  ;D

Yes! I laughed SO hard during this scene, my sides were literally hurting. I almost left the theater for a moment just to get my bearing back. ;D

Written By: La Roche on 11/12/06 at 11:02 am

When the guy opened the door with the skull-cap on.. I said out loud "Oohh no, please don't, ooohhh fuuuck."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/12/06 at 1:51 pm

Yes! I laughed SO hard during this scene, my sides were literally hurting. I almost left the theater for a moment just to get my bearing back. ;D
Oh, man, that part was so wrong, especially when they went to a closeup of Borat's manager's balls on his chin.  ;D ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...