inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV show intros, then and now

Written By: star500 on 11/07/06 at 8:58 am

I don't know what is going on with TV shows now but they don't seem to have an intro or a theme song or anything. Some of them do but the majority doesn't, I've noticed. Now they seem to dive straight into the action, which isn't so bad but it would be nice to have some kind of a start to the show.  It's strange because back in the '80s, every show had an intro and each was different and unique and so were the theme songs. I found a website the other day, while I was surfing the net and it's really cool, brings back lots of memories for me and my mom. Here is a link to it: http://www.tv-intros.com :)

Subject: Re: TV show intros, then and now

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/07/06 at 9:44 am

From what I remember they started to phase this out of TV back in the mid 90s, with a few exceptions.  Perhaps it had to do with the huge success of Seinfeld, which was one of the first TV shows to lack a theme song with credits.  The other shows appeared to copy that, plus it allows for more time for commercials.  I do agree that it sucks.  I really miss the teasers that would be infront of the episode, then it went right into the theme song and credits.  Or perhaps there would be a few minutes of the episode, then cut into the theme song.  Those were the good ol' days.   

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/06 at 12:33 pm

I don't know what is going on with TV shows now but they don't seem to have an intro or a theme song or anything. Some of them do but the majority doesn't, I've noticed. Now they seem to dive straight into the action, which isn't so bad but it would be nice to have some kind of a start to the show.  It's strange because back in the '80s, every show had an intro and each was different and unique and so were the theme songs. I found a website the other day, while I was surfing the net and it's really cool, brings back lots of memories for me and my mom. Here is a link to it: http://www.tv-intros.com :)

great site...thanks for the link! :)

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/06 at 12:43 pm

That is an awesome site 8)

Written By: Jessica on 11/07/06 at 12:59 pm

That's awesome!

I found the intro for "Nikki" that starred Nikki Cox. That show was so tacky, but fun to watch. :D

Written By: Satish on 11/07/06 at 1:54 pm

From what I remember they started to phase this out of TV back in the mid 90s, with a few exceptions.  Perhaps it had to do with the huge success of Seinfeld, which was one of the first TV shows to lack a theme song with credits.  The other shows appeared to copy that, plus it allows for more time for commercials.  I do agree that it sucks.  I really miss the teasers that would be infront of the episode, then it went right into the theme song and credits.  Or perhaps there would be a few minutes of the episode, then cut into the theme song.  Those were the good ol' days.   

Yeah, it was in the mid-90s that they started to phase out TV theme songs. Major 90s shows like "Seinfeld" didn't have them. It was because the networks thought that people were remote control-surfing over to other channels while the theme songs were on.

Anyway, while there were some TV themes that I enjoyed, I didn't think they were anything special for the most part, so I don't really miss them.

Written By: Davester on 11/07/06 at 1:58 pm

Seem to recall Murphy Brown not having much of an intro to speak of.  Each episode just "started" without an opening theme...

Check out the site.  Thanks...

Written By: Davester on 11/07/06 at 2:56 pm

Great site..!  The Tenspeed & Brownshoe intro is a standout, here.  I've not seen it since early 1980.  If ever there was a particular intro I can associate with a particular night, T&B is it...

My dad had been anxiously awaiting this show's debut.  He lived in our downstairs apartment and he would come upstairs to hang out and watch TV.  I remember eating several bowls of Honey Nut Cheerios (which was a brand new product at that time) and messing around with the new Polaroid camera.  I still have two photos; one I took of him sitting on the couch and one he took of me standing in the kitchen scarfing down Cheerios and wearing a yellow "Jawas" sweatshirt...

Those pictures were taken the evening of January 27th, 1980, the night Tenspeed & Brownshoe debuted...

groovy... ;)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/07/06 at 4:21 pm

^lets see those pics for nostalgia's sake!  I wish I had a Jawa shirt from that era.

Quote from: Satish on Today at 01:54:48 PM
Yeah, it was in the mid-90s that they started to phase out TV theme songs. Major 90s shows like "Seinfeld" didn't have them. It was because the networks thought that people were remote control-surfing over to other channels while the theme songs were on.

Anyway, while there were some TV themes that I enjoyed, I didn't think they were anything special for the most part, so I don't really miss them.

I thought it got you all pumped up and ready for the show, especially the old teasers before the creidts.  It was part of the signature of a TV series.  It was that extra bit of TV magic.  Plus it was fun seeing what a TV series would do with it's credits each season, as they would usually slightly change.  I just can't imagine the old classics like Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch just starting the show without their theme song and credits. 

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/07/06 at 6:15 pm

I miss theme songs for television shows as well... I remember rushing to the TV when I was a kid just to sing along with the theme song to shows like The Golden Girls and Family Ties...  :-[

Written By: whistledog on 11/08/06 at 3:39 pm

I miss theme songs for television shows as well... I remember rushing to the TV when I was a kid just to sing along with the theme song to shows like The Golden Girls and Family Ties...  :-[

I used to sing along with Family Ties as well.  A few years ago, I found out that theme was sung by Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams.  I was pleasantly surprised :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/08/06 at 5:57 pm

This site is fantastic!  Seeing Fame, Family Ties and especially Wonder Woman really takes me back.  "In her satin tights, fighting for your rights!"  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/11/06 at 12:34 am

I think they started doing this just to get more time per episode.  In the 80s tv dramas ran 45 to 48 minutes and Sitcoms were at about 25 minutes now an hour long show gets 42 minutes and the sitcom about 21 or 22 because there are so many more ads.

The average comercial break is almost 3 minutes long... hell I am getting old enough to forget what I was watching after sitting thru such long commercials!

Written By: Stompgal on 11/14/06 at 3:49 am

In this decade, I've seen different opening sequences to Rugrats, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, The Amanda Show and Top of the Pops. The last TOTP intro featured people dancing in front of an orange background with a different logo and a theme tune.

Check for new replies or respond here...