inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PS3 sales cause violence and pandemonium

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 8:38 am

There have been several accounts across the nation of violent acts, due to the sale of the Playstation 3, early this morning.

There was a person shot in Connecticut while standing in line for the new PS3. Someone tried to rob them at gunpoint.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061117/ap_on_re_us/playstation_shooting

A Walmart had to close down due to fights breaking out while people stood in line, and a mall had to close down due to chaos running amuck among the potential customers in line.

Last night my sister, mom, and I went to Best Buy, Walmart, and the mall....we were looking for a laptop for Beth, for school.....but at each place, there were numerous people camping out with tents, in the pouring down rain, cold weather...just waiting for the clock to strike 12:01, to be able to be one of the first to buy the new game system.

Wow, I wish I had an extra $500-$600 dollars that these people are blowing on this unit.  I heard that games from PS1 and PS2 won't even be able to be played on the new PS3 either.

What are your thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: PS3 sales cause violence and pandemonium

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/17/06 at 9:18 am

I think it's f*cking ridiculous.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/17/06 at 9:26 am

This is to 2006 what Cabbage Patch dolls were to 1983. ;D

In all seriousness though, even though I can see how people would want one (there is some excitement over being "the first" to get anything. Plus, the camping out can be a cool experience you don't get to do everyday), it's silly, not to mention tragic that anyone's been hurt over something so little.

Then again, there's people who wait in day-long lines to see a movie on its opening day, so I'm not surprised (although I wouldn't do it). Heck, even if the stores are sold out for the first week or whatever, it's not like anything will be permanently unavailable to the public. Some people get impatient and greedy too easy.

Written By: Satish on 11/17/06 at 10:01 am

I heard that games from PS1 and PS2 won't even be able to be played on the new PS3 either.

No, they will. The Playstation 3 is backwards compatible with most PS1 and PS2 games:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/faq

...you can play thousands of PlayStation

Written By: Jessica on 11/17/06 at 10:17 am

I think it's a load of crap.

First, not all of the kinks are worked out of it. So you're going to be paying $600 for a system that may or may not work right. Oh, and don't bother buying the cheaper one. It isn't worth it because it doesn't have a MemoryStick port or enough gigs.

Second, to get the High Definition sh*t to work, you need to buy all the expensive extras.

Satish, did you read the asterisk part? "* Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system. In rare instances, CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray discs and other media may not operate properly when played on the PS3 system. This is primarily due to variations in the manufacturing process or encoding of the software. For more info, visit www.us.playstation.com.

IF I were going to buy one of these, I'd wait until the third or fourth generation came out. At least most of the bugs would be fixed by then. However, I want a Nintendo Wii, just because of that nifty controller, and because I can play Mario and stuff. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 10:21 am

IF I were going to buy one of these, I'd wait until the third or fourth generation came out. At least most of the bugs would be fixed by then. However, I want a Nintendo Wii, just because of that nifty controller, and because I can play Mario and stuff. :)

I've always loved Nintendo...it pretty much rules! ;)

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 10:44 am

i sorta wanted to get one cuz they apparently play blu-rays and are pretty damn cutting edge. but heck i'm not sure where the rent's coming from so...

do you need an HDTV to fully appreciate it? i was wondering about that.

as for the pandemonium, it strikes me as silly but not unexpected. has the xbox 360 gone down in price yet?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/17/06 at 10:44 am

Jesus Christ, they're just games, no use killing people over them.

Written By: La Roche on 11/17/06 at 11:24 am

i sorta wanted to get one cuz they apparently play blu-rays and are pretty damn cutting edge. but heck i'm not sure where the rent's coming from so...

do you need an HDTV to fully appreciate it? i was wondering about that.

as for the pandemonium, it strikes me as silly but not unexpected. has the xbox 360 gone down in price yet?

Yeah, I think the 360 came down in price. I want another one. I told you this right?

I was in the mall getting some flowers... yeah... anyway I saw a 360 in this store. This was about 2 weeks after the release when they were impossible to find. I snapped that bad boy up with a couple games for about $500. I took it home and when I got there I thought to myself "Fuuuuuck, this machine cost more than my car." So I took it back to the store and maintained my reputation as a fiscally responsible tight ass.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 11:37 am

Jesus Christ, they're just games, no use killing people over them.
yes, they're games, but by and large they're games that teach how about how it's okay to kill people. hence, not unexpected.

did i tell you my conspiracy theory about videogames? definitely a population entrainment device employed by the warcrafters to train youth not to hesitate when it comes time to kill and breed all sense of morality out of them and turn them into callously efficient killing machines. (lyndon larouche is a total freak but i think he's onto something with this one... http://www.schillerinstitute.org/lar_related/2002/lar_ninten_kil050102.html )

doesn't mean i don't want one. i'm just sayin'.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/17/06 at 11:48 am

No, they will. The Playstation 3 is backwards compatible with most PS1 and PS2 games:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/faq

...you can play thousands of PlayStation

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/06 at 11:57 am

I waited quite a while for one outside and I ended up with a rain check for the next shipment, I was not happy at all. I think I'm selling the thing on ebay when I eventually get it (looks like a week or two), stupid people are paying $3,500 for these things. Heck with that profit you could buy yourself a nice 50 inch plasma and an xbox 360. People were waiting just cause they want to ebay it, nobody in my line even wanted it lol. They were trying to sell their seats and crap too, it's crazy. Blame sony for their crappy limited releases.

OMG now this is crazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-60GB-Premium-System-PS3-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ120053236745QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 12:39 pm

I waited quite a while for one outside and I ended up with a rain check for the next shipment, I was not happy at all. I think I'm selling the thing on ebay when I eventually get it (looks like a week or two), stupid people are paying $3,500 for these things. Heck with that profit you could buy yourself a nice 50 inch plasma and an xbox 360. People were waiting just cause they want to ebay it, nobody in my line even wanted it lol. They were trying to sell their seats and crap too, it's crazy. Blame sony for their crappy limited releases.

OMG now this is crazy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-60GB-Premium-System-PS3-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ120053236745QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62054QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ok...that is insane! I was looking at the bidding history on the item..it literally jumped from $3,000 up to like $15,000 in one or two bids....is that for real? Who in their right mind would pay THAT much for it? :o

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/06 at 12:41 pm

ok...that is insane! I was looking at the bidding history on the item..it literally jumped from $3,000 up to like $15,000 in one or two bids....is that for real? Who in their right mind would pay THAT much for it? :o

Could be a phony bid from a hi jacked account or something, it's pretty stupid since most of the others are going for around $3,000 (though I've seen a few close at over $5,000 today).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 12:42 pm

Could be a phony bid from a hi jacked account or something, it's pretty stupid since most of the others are going for around $3,000 (though I've seen a few close at over $5,000 today).

but....why? I mean, there were what, a limited amount released for sale early this morning...but when will they actually be on the shelves, stocked regularly?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/06 at 12:45 pm

but....why? I mean, there were what, a limited amount released for sale early this morning...but when will they actually be on the shelves, stocked regularly?

I would guess maybe next spring they should be easy to get.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 12:45 pm

looks like xbox 360s are now between 200 and 300 bucks now for a stripped down version. i'm sure this time next year the PS3 will be about the same.

i hear there's some kinda problem and they weren't able to manufacture enough, so a lot of people who want them for christmas gifts are willing to pay these exorbitant amounts because it's the only way you'll be able to get one in time if you weren't able to get one from best buy or wherever.

i wish i'd waited around and gotten one and resold it, that's a markup!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 12:46 pm

I would guess maybe next spring they should be easy to get.

will the price be any lower than, or the same as now?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/06 at 12:58 pm

will the price be any lower than, or the same as now?

Same as now for a while, they're already losing a couple hundred bucks on each one of these at these prices.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/17/06 at 1:22 pm

Yeah, I think the 360 came down in price. I want another one. I told you this right?

I was in the mall getting some flowers... yeah... anyway I saw a 360 in this store. This was about 2 weeks after the release when they were impossible to find. I snapped that bad boy up with a couple games for about $500. I took it home and when I got there I thought to myself "Fuuuuuck, this machine cost more than my car." So I took it back to the store and maintained my reputation as a fiscally responsible tight ass.

So do you have one or not?  ;)

I waited on it until this past summer, because there were no games on the system that interested me to that point.  As of now I have the 360 version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Gears of War and Lego Star Wars II rotating through my console.  All that plus my premium bundle, a couple extra games, a controller, play and charge kit and extra battery pack.  And the Live subscription.  Lotta $$ that I probably shouldn't have spent, but I guess you can't take it with you...not like I'm buying drugs eh?  :P

The interesting aspect is that the Xbox 360 + HD-DVD add-on will cost about the same as a high end PS3 out of the box, but at least Xbox 360 gives you a choice if you don't give a crud about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.  Sony does not.

BTW, I'm sure the PS3 is awesome and stuff, but in the commercials it would have been more convincing if they had actually shown gameplay rather than the PS3 making Rubik's Cubes explode :P

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/06 at 3:05 pm

I think it's ridiculous.  I mean say people save up their money to buy these systems, and by the time they have enough to get it, a newer more expensive system is out and the one you have enough for is now obsolete

Within 2 years, the PS3 will be a thing of the past with the arrival of the PS1000000000  ::)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/17/06 at 5:14 pm

I think it's a load of crap.

First, not all of the kinks are worked out of it. So you're going to be paying $600 for a system that may or may not work right. Oh, and don't bother buying the cheaper one

IF I were going to buy one of these, I'd wait until the third or fourth generation came out.

Exactly! The PS2 is a piece of crap, but they made the PS2 slimline so much more reliable.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 5:26 pm

Exactly! The PS2 is a piece of crap, but they made the PS2 slimline so much more reliable.
i try to be cautious about such things, that's why i think i'm only now about ready to pick myself up one of these.

http://www.decodesystems.com/games/sears-electronic-football.jpg

i'm hearing they've FINALLY worked out the last of the kinks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/17/06 at 6:05 pm

I've always loved Nintendo...it pretty much rules! ;)

I'm going to get the Wii first. I might also get a PS3, but not for awhile. Now could all the violence and chaos involved with getting the PS3 be a reflection on how our culture is more violent in 2006 than it was 2005? Because there wasn't that much of a problem with the XBox 360 last year. There were incidents, but not nearly as much as the night the PS3 came out.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/06 at 6:07 pm

i try to be cautious about such things, that's why i think i'm only now about ready to pick myself up one of these.

that's hilarious! I actually sold something similiar to that on Ebay a few years ago. I had picked it up while I was thrift shopping, and turned around and sold it.

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 6:11 pm

that's hilarious! I actually sold something similiar to that on Ebay a few years ago. I had picked it up while I was thrift shopping, and turned around and sold it.
i have very fond memories of that game...  :-[ cuz i'm older than mohammed?

i priced a few on ebay but decided against buying one because i knew it would just sit around like that damn atari i bought a couple years ago.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/17/06 at 6:48 pm

This is to 2006 what Cabbage Patch dolls were to 1983. ;D

In all seriousness though, even though I can see how people would want one (there is some excitement over being "the first" to get anything. Plus, the camping out can be a cool experience you don't get to do everyday), it's silly, not to mention tragic that anyone's been hurt over something so little.

Then again, there's people who wait in day-long lines to see a movie on its opening day, so I'm not surprised (although I wouldn't do it). Heck, even if the stores are sold out for the first week or whatever, it's not like anything will be permanently unavailable to the public. Some people get impatient and greedy too easy.

I remember the Cabbage Patch craze.  My grandfather had a friend who worked at Toys R Us and when they got a new shippment in he asked him to put a few back for him (don't think the manager knew anything about this).  This guy came to our house at around 10 PM, in the cover of darkness with the dolls and my grandfather got to pick the ones he wanted...It was like a drug deal or something.  LOL!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/17/06 at 7:06 pm

I remember the Cabbage Patch Doll craze too.  They just hit it big Christmas of 82 (or was it 83) when I was very young.  I remember my dad telling me he stood outside in the cold and snow for something like 10 hours to buy me one, only to find out they were sold out when he got there.  After that he never again waited to buy ANY Christmas present until the last minute.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/17/06 at 7:30 pm

I'm going to get the Wii first. I might also get a PS3, but not for awhile. Now could all the violence and chaos involved with getting the PS3 be a reflection on how our culture is more violent in 2006 than it was 2005? Because there wasn't that much of a problem with the XBox 360 last year. There were incidents, but not nearly as much as the night the PS3 came out.

I may get a wii at midnight tomorrow, it should be easier to get since there's a lot more of them being released. I'm really curious how well that motion sensor works.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/06 at 7:34 pm

I had one of those.  Dang, they were fun

I still see them every so often at flea markets for around $5

Written By: Tia on 11/17/06 at 8:11 pm

I had one of those.  Dang, they were fun

I still see them every so often at flea markets for around $5
you can imagine how mad i was when i threw down $12,500 for one on ebay, then.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/17/06 at 8:16 pm

I'm holding out for the  PS4

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/17/06 at 10:32 pm

I'll be getting the PS3, not in the near future though. I'm gonna wait and see if the price drops some by next September or so, also hopefully any bugs will be worked out by then. I'm basically waiting on Grand Theft Auto IV to come out, to get the system. Thats my major interest in it, oh and I also have my fingers crossed that SquareEnix will get their sh*t together and release the Final Fantasy VII remake on the PS3.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/06 at 12:10 am

I think it's ridiculous.  I mean say people save up their money to buy these systems, and by the time they have enough to get it, a newer more expensive system is out and the one you have enough for is now obsolete

Within 2 years, the PS3 will be a thing of the past with the arrival of the PS1000000000  ::)

I waited for a major price drop on the original Xbox before I got it.  I got most of my games at a discounted price or by getting coupons or trade-ins or gift cards from other sources to pay for them.  I don't see the need to get something immediately unless I can reasonably afford it at the time (exceptions: Splinter Cell games, very good).

With the 360, being a new system (all new systems have bugs!) and a launch line-up that didn't interest me very much, I waited nearly a year before I bought my console.  I also bought an extended warranty just in case it does explode ;)

I can understand loving your games and such, but mortgaging your future for a system that won't matter in a few years is retarded.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/06 at 12:16 am

looks like xbox 360s are now between 200 and 300 bucks now for a stripped down version. i'm sure this time next year the PS3 will be about the same.

i hear there's some kinda problem and they weren't able to manufacture enough, so a lot of people who want them for christmas gifts are willing to pay these exorbitant amounts because it's the only way you'll be able to get one in time if you weren't able to get one from best buy or wherever.

i wish i'd waited around and gotten one and resold it, that's a markup!

It would've been nice to take advantage of capitalism to make a few extra thousand this year ;)

There is no way the PS3 will be sold for less than $500 if that.  Sony is losing way too much money on it as is.  Most of the manufacturing snafus is likely because of the crappy yield in Blu-Ray lasers and the Cell chip crapping out at random.  It's powerful, and probably more so than the 360, but I think it'll have the same problems that 360 had at launch and then some because of the hardware difficulties inherent to the Cell chip.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/18/06 at 12:19 am

I waited in line for about 5 hours last year to get an Xbox 360, but decided not to get a PS3 at launch for quite a few reasons(mostly a worse money situation than a year ago, I mean, it does cost $200 more). The line I waited in for the 360 was inside the store, which was good because it was raining about about 30 degrees outside ;D.

I probably wouldn't actually camp out to get a video game system, that just seems like too much. I'll get a PS3, but probably a year or so down the road.

Written By: Tia on 11/18/06 at 12:19 am

It would've been nice to take advantage of capitalism to make a few extra thousand this year ;)

There is no way the PS3 will be sold for less than $500 if that.  Sony is losing way too much money on it as is.  Most of the manufacturing snafus is likely because of the crappy yield in Blu-Ray lasers and the Cell chip crapping out at random.  It's powerful, and probably more so than the 360, but I think it'll have the same problems that 360 had at launch and then some because of the hardware difficulties inherent to the Cell chip.
i've been mad all day that i didn't buy the ps3 at 700 bucks and get in on some of this 15000 dollar  action! dammit.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/06 at 10:02 am

Have fun with this:

Warning: contains graphic images and strong language

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/18/06 at 4:08 pm

Have fun with this:

Warning: contains graphic images and strong language

that was great!! hahaah! ;D :D

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 9:10 am

I bought a PS2 years ago.. about 5 months after they were first released.. never..ever..ever had a problem with it.. on two continents with two different power supplys.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:26 am

I bought a PS2 years ago.. about 5 months after they were first released.. never..ever..ever had a problem with it.. on two continents with two different power supplys.  :)

The PS2 also had some really sweet games like God of War, the Metal Gear Solids, and Guitar Hero.  For a while the PS2 also got the Grand Theft Auto games exclusively, then they got them first, and now they've lost all exclusivity...in fact, Guitar Hero 2, while being released on PS2 first, is coming to the Xbox 360 next spring, which I am looking forward to.

PS3 so far only seems to have Resistance: Fall of Man as their "killer app", which means it might take a while before they start getting steam.  Not to worry, not like a lot of gamers have a PS3 anyway :D

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 9:29 am

The PS2 also had some really sweet games like God of War, the Metal Gear Solids, and Guitar Hero.  For a while the PS2 also got the Grand Theft Auto games exclusively, then they got them first, and now they've lost all exclusivity...in fact, Guitar Hero 2, while being released on PS2 first, is coming to the Xbox 360 next spring, which I am looking forward to.

PS3 so far only seems to have Resistance: Fall of Man as their "killer app", which means it might take a while before they start getting steam.  Not to worry, not like a lot of gamers have a PS3 anyway :D

I was a playstation man from the start.. but I got an X-Box in 2004 and loved it. I'm split now. To be honest.. I'll wait a while before I pick up either.. I'll probably end up getting the 360 because it'll be cheaper.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:31 am

I was a playstation man from the start.. but I got an X-Box in 2004 and loved it. I'm split now. To be honest.. I'll wait a while before I pick up either.. I'll probably end up getting the 360 because it'll be cheaper.

You won't regret it, but I'd get the extended warranty if I were you.  They've worked out most of the 360 kinks though so you shouldn't have any hardware problems now.

At this time, the 360 has close to 100 games and most of them are getting good reviews, and are essentially duplicates of whatever PS3 and Wii have to offer in terms of third-party games.  Wii has their WiiSports and Mario and Zelda though so I think that'd be a good buy if you don't want to spend that much $$.

I dig my 360.  Gears of War is the roxxorz!!!1!  :D

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 11:07 am

hmm. has the ps2 gone down in price, i wonder?

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/21/06 at 11:08 am

Probably up, considering it's Sony.

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 11:35 am

grr. at target it says 129 and then i click on the link and they're actually all around 200 bucks. lies! lies!

anyway, i don't really want one, all this talk has got me kinda curious, is all.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 11:36 am

If I pick up a 360 I'll sell you my PS2.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 1:22 pm

The PS2 should be around $130 or less now.  You can get a pretty sweet package at Costco for less than $150 that comes with games and stuff.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 1:51 pm

If I pick up a 360 I'll sell you my PS2.

I would suggest to you that if you wish to get the 360, figure out where you are going to be the most (USA or UK) because USA is NTSC and UK is PAL.  You probably also want to see if you can get region-free games, although I doubt those exist, that way you can play in both regions.

At this time the best game overall appears to be Gears of War.  Rainbow Six: Vegas should be coming to all platforms in a couple weeks, and next spring, Halo 3 and Halo Wars are coming out.  Plenty of stuff to look forward to.  Around February or March, the next version of MLB sports games should be released, I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiight pick one up but I'm hoping to use my limited gaming $ for Guitar Hero 2 so my wife can have some fun too.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 2:03 pm

I would suggest to you that if you wish to get the 360, figure out where you are going to be the most (USA or UK) because USA is NTSC and UK is PAL.  You probably also want to see if you can get region-free games, although I doubt those exist, that way you can play in both regions.

If you're real clever like me, you've already worked out a way around that.. like you did with every other console you owned.  ;) ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 2:06 pm

I'd think about it if I weren't scared that Xbox Live would ban my console for life :D  Dunno if that requires a physical modification or just purchasing some adaptor.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 2:45 pm

I'd think about it if I weren't scared that Xbox Live would ban my console for life :D  Dunno if that requires a physical modification or just purchasing some adaptor.

Ah, see, I don't do the online game thing.. it bores me. I'd rather beats the pants of my friend so I can laugh in his face, not some 12 year old in Delaware.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 2:47 pm

Ah, see, I don't do the online game thing.. it bores me. I'd rather beats the pants of my friend so I can laugh in his face, not some 12 year old in Delaware.

Well, the friends list allows you to select who you want to play with.  I only play with friends online.  I think PS3 Online is going to do something similar to Xbox Live but they're keeping it relatively hush hush for now...we shall see.  But yes, if you modify your Xbox or Xbox 360 console, you void the warranty and get that console banned from Live for life.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 2:49 pm

I only play with friends online.

.. and see, I just invite my friends over, we drink a lot, get take out and play video games.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 2:50 pm

Oh yeah, they can come over too ;)  But if they're far away, we play on Live.  I have friends all over the country that I game with on a regular basis (barring exams and homework and crud) which is quite nice.  Better than dealing with random screaming 12-year-olds, fo sho.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 2:52 pm

Oh yeah, they can come over too ;)  But if they're far away, we play on Live.  I have friends all over the country that I game with on a regular basis (barring exams and homework and crud) which is quite nice.  Better than dealing with random screaming 12-year-olds, fo sho.

Fair do's. I guess the ability to laugh right in somebody's face is just my over riding factor.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 2:54 pm

PWNED!  :D ;)

If your friends get the 360 as well, you guys can set up a LAN party via system link or just play at home against each other.  $50 a year is a great deal.  PS3 Online is free though, but the possibility of micro-subscription fees isn't beyond Sony or any other game company for that matter.

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 2:55 pm

PWNED!  :D ;)

If your friends get the 360 as well, you guys can set up a LAN party via system link or just play at home against each other.  $50 a year is a great deal.  PS3 Online is free though, but the possibility of micro-subscription fees isn't beyond Sony or any other game company for that matter.

Indeed. It's free?!!!?

Course.. most of the games I play aren't all that 2 player focused anyway.. I do like racing games and sports games though.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 2:57 pm

Yeah, PS3 Online overall is free.  It'd better be free after making you pay 600 bones for the grill :D

I sense that it'll take a while for PS3 to gain momentum but it should be a good game system for you after it drops about $200 ;)

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, PS3 Online overall is free.  It'd better be free after making you pay 600 bones for the grill :D

I sense that it'll take a while for PS3 to gain momentum but it should be a good game system for you after it drops about $200 ;)

Won't even be able to find one until it's about $400.  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 5:40 pm

Won't even be able to find one until it's about $400.  ;D

You might be able to find one as they trickle into the retail stores, but considering Sony's issues with Blu-Ray and the Cell chip I think you're gonna have to wait a month or two for them to ramp up, and then another six months for supplies to level out.

It was kind of like what happened with the 360 after launch, couldn't find one for weeks (not that I was looking at the time, the launch lineup didn't interest me) but around March or so, they started having decent supply at every store.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/21/06 at 6:02 pm

Fair do's. I guess the ability to laugh right in somebody's face is just my over riding factor.

I imagine you making a really funny face saying "PWND!" then cracking up as you fall over. Is this the case?

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 6:06 pm

I imagine you making a really funny face saying "PWND!" then cracking up as you fall over. Is this the case?

Not far off.

I'm fun to play against.

Remember on the PS1 you could use a multi-tap. We had like 7 people playing fifa one day, that was great, I think we broke the record for indoor usage of the C word. I also recall me and Pete getting in to a fist-fight because he scored an own goal on purpose 'cus I sprayed him with beer.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/21/06 at 6:11 pm

Not far off.

I'm fun to play against.

Remember on the PS1 you could use a multi-tap. We had like 7 people playing fifa one day, that was great, I think we broke the record for indoor usage of the C word. I also recall me and Pete getting in to a fist-fight because he scored an own goal on purpose 'cus I sprayed him with beer.

.... o_O.

How long have you been drinking beer?

Written By: La Roche on 11/21/06 at 6:13 pm

.... o_O.

How long have you been drinking beer?

I dunno.. since I could reach the handle of the fridge.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/06 at 8:23 pm

All more the reason to get a Wii. 

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 8:53 pm

so here's a question -- why would anyone with a computer buy one of these consoles? i'm not being snooty, i consider it and then go, well, i have a PC so i could always just buy some games for THAT and save 600 bucks. i understand the play action and graphics are probably better on a PS3 etc. but are they really THAT much better?

on a related note i just read in harpers this month that they're gonna hook up 10,000 PS3s to do parallel processing for biological research. they say it's going to be the fastest computer ever.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:29 pm

so here's a question -- why would anyone with a computer buy one of these consoles? i'm not being snooty, i consider it and then go, well, i have a PC so i could always just buy some games for THAT and save 600 bucks. i understand the play action and graphics are probably better on a PS3 etc. but are they really THAT much better?

PC is always going to be better than the console, because PCs are upgradable and consoles are not.  The rationale behind the console is that you can play while sitting on a couch staring at your TV, whereas with a PC you have to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, unless you get a joypad.  Also, if you have enough money, you can get a VGA-to-TV connector so that you can play your computer games on your TV anyway. 

Part of the appeal of consoles other than being a living-room luxury is that they are standardized, whereas if you are playing PC games online, the person with the fastest processor and coolest video card is usually going to have the best experience.  On a console, the only limiting factor is the kind of TV you have. 

If you can afford it though, there is no reason not to play games on the PC.  The PC is superior in every single way, except for the whole living room thing.  But like I said, there are ways to get around that ;)

on a related note i just read in harpers this month that they're gonna hook up 10,000 PS3s to do parallel processing for biological research. they say it's going to be the fastest computer ever.

Yeah, they are going to use the PS3 Online to connect individual consoles (I think the PS3 owner has to sign up for it) and use part of the Cell Processing power to make something akin to SETI Online.  Pretty cool idea.  Fastest computer ever?  Don't think so.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 11/21/06 at 9:29 pm

You're lucky then. We have several people every day coming into the store, badmouthing their systems.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:30 pm

You're lucky then. We have several people every day coming into the store, badmouthing their systems.

That's true of every system.  However, my friend who used to work at a videogame store says that PS2s seem to have much more problems than Xbox (original) and Nintendos. 

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 9:35 pm

PC is always going to be better than the console, because PCs are upgradable and consoles are not.  The rationale behind the console is that you can play while sitting on a couch staring at your TV, whereas with a PC you have to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard, unless you get a joypad.  Also, if you have enough money, you can get a VGA-to-TV connector so that you can play your computer games on your TV anyway. 

Part of the appeal of consoles other than being a living-room luxury is that they are standardized, whereas if you are playing PC games online, the person with the fastest processor and coolest video card is usually going to have the best experience.  On a console, the only limiting factor is the kind of TV you have. 

If you can afford it though, there is no reason not to play games on the PC.  The PC is superior in every single way, except for the whole living room thing.  But like I said, there are ways to get around that ;)

Yeah, they are going to use the PS3 Online to connect individual consoles (I think the PS3 owner has to sign up for it) and use part of the Cell Processing power to make something akin to SETI Online.  Pretty cool idea.  Fastest computer ever?  Don't think so.
thanks for the advice. soemthign to think about. if i was gonna spend money on anything it'd probably be to upgrade my soundcard so i doubt i'll buy a console but i was always curious about it.

here's the language in harpers (it was in the index):

"minimum number of PS3s whose spare processing power will be used next year for biological research: 10,000
factor by which the interconnected game systems wuill be faster than the world's most powerfuyl supercomputer: 5."

so they seem to be saying so, and not only that, it's going to be a winner by a significant margin. it's possible they're wrong, sometimes harpers index makes me go, oh, now, wait a minute...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:37 pm

If you are thinking about economics, you're spending about the same amount of money on games, but the hardware is different.  On PC you have to upgrade the sound card, video card, RAM, and even the processor every couple years.  With the console (unless it craps out like the Xbox 360 used to do and the PS3 inevitably will) you only have to buy one, and even at $600, it's a good deal considering that a console lifespan is around five years, maybe more.  Hardcore gamers would probably spend more than that upgrading their warez and monitors over that same span of time.  Dunno how hearty you game though.

Written By: deadrockstar on 11/22/06 at 12:23 am

I've never been attracted to PC games because of all those things you have to buy extra like graphic cards. I'd rather just pay a one time fee for a console, like you pointed out Rice_Cube.

Check for new replies or respond here...