inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: O.J.'s "If I Did It" book cancelled.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/06 at 3:38 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-ap-simpson-interview,1,3538359.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Newscorp has cancelled the confessional book by football superstar turned murdering sociopath O.J. Simpson, If I Did It.  I felt like giving O.J. a taste of his own medicine when I heard about that book.  What the hell do you mean "if," Simpson?  Everybody knows you did it, and you've been taunting the public about how you beat the rap for over a decade.

The only positive scenario I could see is the courts confiscating all the royalties and using them to pay some of the civil damage O.J. managed to slither out of remitting to the Brown and Goldman families.  The unconscionable creep

The Fox network was going to air a two-part special on the book, but individual affiliates started to back out after the obvious resentment from the public.  Rupert Murdoch's media empire, Newscorp, owns Fox, and also owns the publishing company HarperCollins, which in turn owns the imprint ReganBooks, founded by teevee-journalist Judith Regan.  Judith Regan is about as nice a person as O.J.

From me to you, O.J.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thefinger.gif

Subject: Re: O.J.'s "If I Did It" book cancelled.

Written By: Tia on 11/20/06 at 3:40 pm

yeah, i heard about that just now on the radio. finally, some good news! a sign that there is in fact some decency out there in the world.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/20/06 at 3:51 pm

To hell with OJ Simpson.  I hope he burns for eternity.

Written By: Tia on 11/20/06 at 3:53 pm

but... what if he's innocent? ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/06 at 3:54 pm

When Bill O'Reilly says he will boycott Fox sponsors that advertise on the special, you know it has to be bad.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/06 at 4:43 pm

but... what if he's innocent? ;D

I considered that.  If a jury of his peers found him not guilty, then that's that.  I also have issues with civil suits filed after not guilty verdicts in criminal trials.  I think it's debatable as to whether they are a form of double jeopardy.  On the other hand, the post-criminal civil suit is still a legal instrument.  O.J. skipped town.  He used Florida's homestead protection statute to pour a boatload of assets into a mansion in that state.  He keeps his NFL pension, and he gets to hang out in Florida and scoff at justice.  He gets out of paying the victim's families on some other technicality.  I can't remember how it goes. 

O.J. and his Dream Team never came up with aother plausible suspect.  O.J. never behaved like he gave a damn his wife got stabbed to death.  I mean, wouldn't the grief be all over your face?  I didn't see that with O.J.

I don't think he should have to suffer any criminal penalties because the criminal court found him innocent whether we like it or not.  That doesn't mean we have to believe O.J. didn't do, and I certainly think he did!

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/20/06 at 5:34 pm

He's one sick S.O.B. for even considering this. 

I feel sorry for his children.

Written By: Jessica on 11/20/06 at 5:57 pm

As do I. Can you imagine having a father like that?

He makes my skin crawl, he's such a smug b*stard.

Written By: Tia on 11/20/06 at 6:00 pm

As do I. Can you imagine having a father like that?

how do you think kyle, gertrude, hortense, chester and gretyl hitler feel!?!

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/06 at 6:00 pm

He's one sick S.O.B. for even considering this. 

I was also thinking about the children. Obviously the narcisstic bastard doesn't give a rat's ass about the Brow and Goldman families feel but you'd think he could muster some empathy for his kids.

The only thing that could have possibly been worse than the interview would have been Thanksgiving with the Simpson Family with OJ at the head of the table giving thanks for the jury's ineptitude and then pontificating on the if I had done it....

Thank God Rupert Murdoch is doing the unthinkable and putting morality before money   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/yelclap.gif

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/06 at 8:05 pm

I am glad they canceled it. I was tempted to watch it, but at first I thought it was a joke. It just seemed kinda weird the way they titled the interview and the book. Who in their right mind would title it that way who wants to try and keep their freedom?

Also, aside from this, I had know idea that O.J. was a San Francisco native until just a few days ago (or maybe I was told but had forgotten.) That gave me the creeps.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/20/06 at 9:05 pm

Who in their right mind would title it that way who wants to try and keep their freedom?

He could have confessed and supplied footage of him doing the crimes, and the courts couldn't touch him.  So it has nothing to do with someone wanting to keep their freedom.....he'll never serve a day in jail for killing 2 innocent people. 

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/06 at 10:01 pm

Glad his book got cancelled.  Who knows, maybe one day, he'll take another stab at it.  He should've titled the book after the Smiths' song "Hand in Glove" :D

Written By: Tia on 11/20/06 at 11:20 pm

at first I thought it was a joke. It just seemed kinda weird the way they titled the interview and the book. Who in their right mind would title it that way who wants to try and keep their freedom?
i imagine he gets good counsel, old oj. i think he can't be found guilty criminally of the murders now without it being double jeopardy, and i bet he knows it.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/21/06 at 4:54 am

Wow... I was rather shocked that Fox and Rupert Murdoch decided to actually do the Right thing and not disgrace the world by showing this piece of rubbish... O.J. truly needs to crawl back under a rock somewhere and wait to meet his Maker...

Written By: Mushroom on 11/21/06 at 10:43 am

He may have killed them, he may not have killed them.  Either way, he was found innocent in the criminal trial.

Myself, I believe that he is a murderer.

However, he does have the right to publish a book, and people do have the right to buy and read it.  Or the right to not buy it.  I may not like books by a lot of people, but I do not go around protesting their being published.  I simply make the choice to not give them any money.

No matter what I think of the murdering scumbag, he does have the right under the 1st Ammendment to print a book saying whatever he wants.  And sadly, since he was not convicted, the "Son of Sam" laws do not apply to him.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/21/06 at 10:45 am

Just because he can, doesn't mean he should.  I can drive with my knees, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/06 at 11:45 am

I have had it up to here with OJ.  A man murdered his wife and got away with it, now there is something new.  Jerry Lee Lewis gave new meaning to his nickname Killer, but the same people blowing a fuse over OJ  bow down and genuflect to their rock and roll hero.  Time to get this mans name out of the news.  How many wives next door were killed by their husbands while people had there noses in newspapers and ears to the radio screaming in self righteous anger?

Written By: nally on 11/21/06 at 11:48 am

I read about this in the newspaper this morning. I'm glad it's being canned; the guy's insane. ::)

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/06 at 11:51 am

I have had it up to here with OJ.  A man murdered his wife and got away with it, now there is something new.  Jerry Lee Lewis gave new meaning to his nickname Killer, but the same people blowing a fuse over OJ  bow down and genuflect to their rock and roll hero.  Time to get this mans name out of the news.  How many wives next door were killed by their husbands while people had there noses in newspapers and ears to the radio screaming in self righteous anger?

Did Jerry Lee Lewis kill one of his wives? I'm seriously asking. I know he was an ass to most of them, but I don't think I've heard the killing story.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/21/06 at 11:58 am

Just because he can, doesn't mean he should. 

But what about the 1st Ammendment?

I may not like books by people claiming that the WTC was destroyed by the US Government.  I may not like books that portray US politics as genocidal.  But that does not mean that I think that they should be banned and not published.  I may hate those kinds of books, but I still defend the right to publish them, because that is what living in a "free country" is all about.

And if the book was published, I bet that it would have done nothing but give more ammo to those that hate OJ.  I can't see how he could ever say anything to convince people that he was innocent.

And I am curious, is there anybody here that still thinks he is innocent?  Is there anybody in here that felt he was innocent before or during the trial, that later had "second thoughts"?  Because all I seem to see in here is hatred against OJ, yet according to most polls of the time, the country was pretty evenly divided on his guilt at the time of the trial.

And once again, i find myself in the curious position of defending somebody who I lothe.  Simply because it is his right.  I do not like seeing the Constitutional Rights of people being denied, either by the legal system, or by individuals with an "axe to grind".  Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Speech.  Like it or not, it is everybodies right in this country.

You do not have to like what they say, just respect their right to say it.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/06 at 12:05 pm

Did Jerry Lee Lewis kill one of his wives? I'm seriously asking. I know he was an ass to most of them, but I don't think I've heard the killing story.

The most serious questions arise with the fourth wife, but there are questions concerning the third also, and many people believe given "Killers" history past and present that it isn't a stretch to believe that he murdered these two.
In 1971, he married his fourth wife, a 29-year-old Memphis woman named Jaren Elizabeth Gunn. She filed for divorce at least three times, charging him with cruel and inhuman treatment, adultery, habitual drunkenness, and habitual use of drugs. Shortly before the divorce settlement in 1982, she drowned in a swimming pool under mysterious circumstances. In 1983, about a year after his fourth wife drowned in the swimming pool, Jerry Lee married his fifth wife, 25-year-old Shawn Michelle Stephens. Less than three months after their wedding she was found dead in their home. After a superficial investigation, by the sheriff, an old friend of Jerry Lee,  the death was ruled a suicide by overdose of methadone pills and Lewis was not charged with foul play, even though Shawn Michelle was found lying in their bed beaten and bruised with blood on her body and under her fingernails.

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/06 at 12:08 pm

The most serious questions arise with the fourth wife, but there are questions concerning the third also, and many people believe given "Killers" history past and present that it isn't a stretch to believe that he murdered these two.
In 1971, he married his fourth wife, a 29-year-old Memphis woman named Jaren Elizabeth Gunn. She filed for divorce at least three times, charging him with cruel and inhuman treatment, adultery, habitual drunkenness, and habitual use of drugs. Shortly before the divorce settlement in 1982, she drowned in a swimming pool under mysterious circumstances. In 1983, about a year after his fourth wife drowned in the swimming pool, Jerry Lee married his fifth wife, 25-year-old Shawn Michelle Stephens. Less than three months after their wedding she was found dead in their home. After a superficial investigation, by the sheriff, an old friend of Jerry Lee,  the death was ruled a suicide by overdose of methadone pills and Lewis was not charged with foul play, even though Shawn Michelle was found lying in their bed beaten and bruised with blood on her body and under her fingernails.

Oh my god. I've heard the stories of all his wives, but not the last two. Those poor women. :\'(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/06 at 12:16 pm

He could have confessed and supplied footage of him doing the crimes, and the courts couldn't touch him.  So it has nothing to do with someone wanting to keep their freedom.....he'll never serve a day in jail for killing 2 innocent people. 

I know, but how credible are you making yourself by titling it that way? Well, not like O.J. is all that credible in the first place.  ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/06 at 12:16 pm

Oh my god. I've heard the stories of all his wives, but not the last two. Those poor women. :\'(

Wait, I thought Jaren was one of his children? Or was it Aaren?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/21/06 at 12:18 pm

I know, but how credible are you making yourself by titling it that way? Well, not like O.J. is all that credible in the first place.  ::)

OJ has no credibility.  He's a murderer who took advantage of the system because he's rich and famous.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/06 at 12:19 pm

OJ has no credibility.  He's a murderer who took advantage of the system because he's rich and famous.

I think it's time to send him off to the same island as Saddam Hussien - He truly needs to die in exile

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/06 at 12:22 pm

Wait, I thought Jaren was one of his children? Or was it Aaren?

I would say most of his wives were young enough to be his children, but I think he only had 2 boys, Jerry Lee II who died young, and Jerry Lee III who is managed to survive.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/06 at 12:30 pm

I would say most of his wives were young enough to be his children, but I think he only had 2 boys, Jerry Lee II who died young, and Jerry Lee III who is managed to survive.

According to Wikipedia (and this could be an incorrect source):

On June 24, 1967, Simpson married Marguerite L. Whitley. Together they had three children: Arnelle L. Simpson (born December 4, 1968), Jason L. Simpson (born April 21, 1970) and Aaren Lashone Simpson (born September 24, 1977). In 1979, Aaren drowned in the family's swimming pool a month before her second birthday. That same year Simpson and Marguerite were divorced.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/06 at 12:37 pm

According to Wikipedia (and this could be an incorrect source):

On June 24, 1967, Simpson married Marguerite L. Whitley. Together they had three children: Arnelle L. Simpson (born December 4, 1968), Jason L. Simpson (born April 21, 1970) and Aaren Lashone Simpson (born September 24, 1977). In 1979, Aaren drowned in the family's swimming pool a month before her second birthday. That same year Simpson and Marguerite were divorced.

Jerry Lee II was son of his first wife, He died in an auto accident at 19.  Jerry was married about six times(so far) and also had a bad habit of not divorcing his current wife before marrying the next one.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/21/06 at 12:49 pm

Jerry Lee II was son of his first wife, He died in an auto accident at 19.  Jerry was married about six times(so far) and also had a bad habit of not divorcing his current wife before marrying the next one.

Sounds like Jerry has fallen into his father's footsteps when it comes to women...

Written By: Marian on 11/21/06 at 2:54 pm

yeah, i heard about that just now on the radio. finally, some good news! a sign that there is in fact some decency out there in the world.
I thought it was on the bestseller "preorder" list or something like that.How can tbey cancel it?I mean,people want to read what they want to read.I don't really see his point in writing it though.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/06 at 8:25 pm

Hearing that they both got cancelled.... is the best news I heard all week!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/06 at 10:09 pm

I agree with Mushroom, constitutionally speaking.  O.J. has the right to write a book and a publisher has the right to release it.  It's up to the public to decide if they want to buy it or boycott it.

Otherwise, I agree with Danoota, "I've had it up to here with O.J. Simpson!"  I don't feel O.J. deserves any more publicity, let alone royalties.

If O.J. is determined to get his book published, he'll find some publishing house to release it.  I say it should be published as a set with "The Turner Diaries" as sort of a two-fer!
:P

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/06 at 8:49 am

If O.J. is determined to get his book published, he'll find some publishing house to release it.  I say it should be published as a set with "The Turner Diaries" as sort of a two-fer!

Oh good God no!!!!!

Having OJ's "Autobiography" printed alongside The Turner Diaries will only give more ammo to the Klukkers, the NeoNazis, and every other hate group in the country.  "2 for the price of one.  Read about the black man that kills his white wife and her white boyfriend, then read about how we will deal with him and his kind afterwards".

And on the other side, minority hate groups would probably go for it as well.  "Read about how an innocent black man was railroaded by the white man's system because his white whore of a wife was killed, then read how they plan on killing all of us."

*shudders*

Written By: Tia on 11/22/06 at 8:56 am

Oh good God no!!!!!

Having OJ's "Autobiography" printed alongside The Turner Diaries will only give more ammo to the Klukkers, the NeoNazis, and every other hate group in the country.  "2 for the price of one.  Read about the black man that kills his white wife and her white boyfriend, then read about how we will deal with him and his kind afterwards".

And on the other side, minority hate groups would probably go for it as well.  "Read about how an innocent black man was railroaded by the white man's system because his white whore of a wife was killed, then read how they plan on killing all of us."

*shudders*
i think he mighta been jokin', there, shudderbug. ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/06 at 11:19 am

i think he mighta been jokin', there, shudderbug. ;)

I never joke about the ability of some men for hating other men simply for where their great-great grandfathers came from.  I find racism as one of the most atrocious crimes imaginable.  And it is something I would never joke about.

And as horrible as it is, if that was done there are people who would do things like that.  That is why I can in no way imagine how some people can condone the attacks of people like Timothy McVey.  The entire Oaklahoma City incident was lifted almost totally from The Turner Diaries, a book he used to sell at gun shows.  In fact, pages from the book were found in his car after his arrest.

I read The Turner Diaries for the first time in 1989, and was appaled at what it contained.  And the book has been the inspiration for an assassination, several robberies and murders, as well as Oaklahoma City.  The last thing we ever need to do is to give nutcases like that any more ammunition for their insane hatred.

Written By: YWN on 11/22/06 at 2:47 pm

It was undoubtedly a distasteful idea. 

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/UnNews:PS3_fans_eagerly_await_OJ_Simpson%27s_new_game_%22If_You_Did_It%22

Written By: Tia on 11/22/06 at 2:58 pm

I never joke about the ability of some men for hating other men simply for where their great-great grandfathers came from.  I find racism as one of the most atrocious crimes imaginable.  And it is something I would never joke about.

And as horrible as it is, if that was done there are people who would do things like that.  That is why I can in no way imagine how some people can condone the attacks of people like Timothy McVey.  The entire Oaklahoma City incident was lifted almost totally from The Turner Diaries, a book he used to sell at gun shows.  In fact, pages from the book were found in his car after his arrest.

I read The Turner Diaries for the first time in 1989, and was appaled at what it contained.  And the book has been the inspiration for an assassination, several robberies and murders, as well as Oaklahoma City.  The last thing we ever need to do is to give nutcases like that any more ammunition for their insane hatred.
who exactly is condoning the mcveigh attacks? i wasn't aware that was a significant constituency.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/06 at 7:03 pm

The purpose of a joke is not always to make light of something.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/06 at 7:35 am

The purpose of a joke is not always to make light of something.

Satire, and it's purpose, has become lost to most, very sad indeed.

Someone posted the book on Ebay and it was pulled by Ebay.  The families of Nicole and Ron want all the books destroyed, and the publisher (Rupert Murdoch, all you Fox fans) said he will get them back from his distributors and burn them. This isn't an OJ story anymore, it is a censorship story.  Oh, yes, you can still buy the "Turner Diaries"

Written By: Tia on 11/23/06 at 11:30 am

yah, if they're gonna try and burn all the books suddenly i'm curious to read it.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/24/06 at 8:14 am

yah, if they're gonna try and burn all the books suddenly i'm curious to read it.

I don't want to have anything to do with it except for the fact that a seller is being prevented from selling to a willing buyer. Since when does Ebay decide what is worthy of sale in a case like this. Considering what they do allow it is the height of hypocrisy.  Rupert Murdoch trying to put the blame on Harper Collins is a big joke, he owns Harper Collins and I would bet he knew all about the deal and was seeing dollars signs until it all blew up.  Now he is all the enraged innocent, him!!!, Rupert Murdoch  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/24/06 at 9:59 pm

O.J. and Rupert, birds of a feather...
::)

Written By: Mushroom on 11/25/06 at 12:01 am

Rupert Murdoch trying to put the blame on Harper Collins is a big joke, he owns Harper Collins and I would bet he knew all about the deal and was seeing dollars signs until it all blew up.  Now he is all the enraged innocent, him!!!, Rupert Murdoch  ::)

Oh yes, and let's look at some of the other "Right Wing Propaganda" that Harper Collins publishes:

Stupid White Men, by Michael Moore
The Good Fight, by Ralph Nader
Civis Arousal, by Ralph Nader
Straight Talk from the Heartland, by Ed Schultz
Bush on the Couch, by Dr. Justin Frank
Election 2001: A Space Odyssey, by Jim Hightower
Selling Out, by Mark Green
The Buying Of The President 2004, by Charles Lewis
Bad News, by Tom Fenton
Soulless: Ann Coulter and the Right-Wing Church of Hate, by Susan Estrich

Do I really need to go on here?  You have to remember, that this is the publishing business.  Rupert may be the CEO of the Conglomerate that is News Corp, but he actually has little day-to-day imput on the activities of every company that falls under it.  I am sure he had as little impact into the OJ book as the CEO of Toyota does in what brand of paint to buy for their cars.

Oh, and do you know what one of their biggest selling books is?  The Satanic Bible.

Companies like Harper Collins can't afford to let politics interfere with their publishing.  They sell books of all areas of the political spectrum.  Why?  Because people buy them, and it is good for busniess.  And News Corp runs 2 other publishing houses, over 30 newspapers (FYI: Rupert is the inventer of the "Page Three Girl"), 8 magazines (including TV Guide), 7 TV and movie studios, 31 TV and Cable networks, and a lot more.

I am sure that Rupert has much more to spend his time on other then what washed-up former football player was signed to do a book.  And even if he did, so what?  I do not like Michael Moore either, but I am not about to demand that Harper Collins stop publishing him.  It is their right to do so, and all it will do is make Mr. Moore move to another publisher.

And if people honestly think that this will prevent OJ from publishing his story, think again.  I am sure that within 1-2 years, some other publishing company will snatch up his story, and do it for the publicity.  So in the long run, what was really accomplished?

Written By: danootaandme on 11/25/06 at 7:42 am

Oh yes, and let's look at some of the other "Right Wing Propaganda" that Harper Collins publishes:
?

I wasn't getting down on Harper Collins at all.  Just an assumption you chose to make in order to get all huffy.  I can't understand why you would want to equate the OJ book with "Right Wing" of "Left Wing" of "Any Wing" propaganda.  I was pointing out that Rupert was acting the innocent.  Look at his publishing history, his empire was built on this type of thing so for him to all of the sudden be indignant is disingenuous at best, clownish really.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/06 at 9:48 am

http://mcs.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p1324439reg.jpg

Yes, Mushroom is correct.  Murdoch is a corporatist not a moralist.  He's a Republican because he wants to accumulate as much wealth and power as possible and everyone else can go to blazes.  As revealed recently, the Republican party bigshots play the Christian Right like a two dollar Stradivarius.  As Napoleon Bonaparte said, "Religion is what keeps the poor from mudering the rich."

If it makes money, Murdoch is going to go for it.  He may yet have another O.J. trick up his sleeve.  Remains to be seen (uh, not the best phrase in conjunction with O.J.).

Written By: Davester on 11/28/06 at 3:42 am

If people had good taste, "reality TV" would have lasted about five seconds...

I'm not going to condemn the publisher - it's the people who buy this stuff that are worthy of scorn...

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/19/06 at 1:37 pm

Glad his book got cancelled.  Who knows, maybe one day, he'll take another stab at it.  He should've titled the book after the Smiths' song "Hand in Glove" :D

Ouch, man.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/19/06 at 4:39 pm

If it gets published, I wouldn't buy it.
I remember when he was aquitted, he said that he was gonna spend every waking moment finding the " real " killer. Then everytime you saw him, he was on the golf course. I guess golfing was more important than finding a killer.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/19/06 at 4:40 pm

If it gets published, I wouldn't buy it.
I remember when he was aquitted, he said that he was gonna spend every waking moment finding the " real " killer. Then everytime you saw him, he was on the golf course. I guess golfing was more important than finding a killer.

Oh he found the killer.  Every morning when he shaved.

Check for new replies or respond here...