inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MaxwellSmart is gonna hate this...

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/06 at 11:36 am

Oh yes. They're making a film version of "Get Smart" with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20061121_anne_hathaway_is_the_new_99.html

Subject: Re: MaxwellSmart is gonna hate this...

Written By: danootaandme on 11/21/06 at 11:52 am

I can see Steve Carell do a great Maxwell Smart, but Anne Hathaway as 99? I am not too sure about that.  ???

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 11:57 am

Oh yes. They're making a film version of "Get Smart" with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20061121_anne_hathaway_is_the_new_99.html

Oh you just wait till he gets in here.  Maybe I should cover both my eyes and ears for this one? :o

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 11:59 am

i dunno, that could be cool. i'ma add a disk from the original series on my queue, if it's available. i used to LOVE that show!

here's a new one.

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60028673&trkid=189530

well, by "new" i mean 1989.

but no original series.  :( i was a fan of the movie the nude bomb when i was knee high to a grasshopper. i know it's probably stupid but i'd love to see it agian. apparently there's soem licensing problem or something, though, because it isn't out on vid that i'm aware of.

Written By: Jessica on 11/21/06 at 12:22 pm

i was a fan of the movie the nude bomb when i was knee high to a grasshopper. i know it's probably stupid but i'd love to see it agian. apparently there's soem licensing problem or something, though, because it isn't out on vid that i'm aware of.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/6302068967/ref=dp_olp_2/103-8696561-4605429

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 1:13 pm

cool! thanks. i guess it came out on VHS at one point, but they say it's out of print now. i'll pick up a copy.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 1:25 pm

It had better not suck.

I cannot imagine anyone other than Don Adams in the role.  This was one of my favorite shows from the old skool.

"Missed it by that much!"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/06 at 1:54 pm

**GROAN**  I really hate when they do this. All the movies I have seen that were old t.v. shows have really sucked the big one. I have said this before and I will say it again, can't Hollywood come up with any new idea?

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/06 at 8:26 pm

It could be an intersting film.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/06 at 9:36 pm

Well, I ain't changing my avatar to no Steve Carrell!

The new movie is bound to be on the lame side, but as Tia mentions, at least it's not "The Nude Bomb."  Not even Don Adams himself could save that one!
::)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0081249/

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 9:38 pm

Well, I ain't changing my avatar to no Steve Carrell!

The new movie is bound to be on the lame side, but as Tia mentions, at least it's not "The Nude Bomb."  Not even Don Adams himself could save that one!
http://imdb.com/title/tt0081249/

WHEW!  Glad that's over with. :)

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 9:40 pm

yeah, i was waiting for maxwell smart to post, fer shurr.

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 9:42 pm

yeah, i was waiting for maxwell smart to post, fer shurr.

He took it better than I was expecting.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:43 pm

He took it better than I was expecting.

Would you believe, this much?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/06 at 9:44 pm

Would'ja believe that, 99, the old make-a-crummy-movie-out-of-an-old-sitcom trick!
;D

Actually, I didn't come up with the screen name out of "Get Smart" fanaticism, although I always liked the show, I was registering to make a comment about a candy called "Dynamints."  Had to come up with a name, so I started with my own name, Max, and went with "MaxwellSmart."  Thought I'd choose something kinda cheesy and pop-culture.  That was my first impression of Chucky's boards.  Yet, here I am sixteen thousand posts later!*  Why keep the name?  Why not?  If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/duckie.gif

*That's an estimate.  I got rolled back to zero when Chucky switched the software a couple of years ago.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:45 pm

If only they had used their scriptwriting for good...instead of evil.

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 9:46 pm

Would'ja believe that, 99, the old make-a-crummy-movie-out-of-an-old-sitcom trick!
;D

Spoke too soon.  He's ticked

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 9:48 pm

i saw that mel brooks was a big writing credit for get smart all along, which i didn't know. that would explain the badness of the later outings, he really didn't survive the 70s. loved high anxiety, young frankenstein, but spaceballs? what WAS that, for god's sake?

is he writing on this new one? is he even still alive? what's his deal?

i guess i could go look.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/21/06 at 9:52 pm

i saw that mel brooks was a big writing credit for get smart all along, which i didn't know. that would explain the badness of the later outings, he really didn't survive the 70s. loved high anxiety, young frankenstein, but spaceballs? what WAS that, for god's sake?

is he writing on this new one? is he even still alive? what's his deal?

i guess i could go look.

The show jumped the shark when Max and 99 got married and they made spy babies.  Still funny, just not as much.

Spaceballs was a great movie.  Thou hast no soul!

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 9:58 pm

a lot of people disagree with me about spaceballs, i just thought it was unwatchably retarded. i actually walked out! then watched it again and was like, yup, it's terrible.

anyway, we can quibble about when exactly he lost his ability to make a decent movie but it was plainly well and gone by the time "robin hood: men in tights" oozed out of him. that movie was just... just... horrifying.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/21/06 at 10:00 pm

Spaceballs and Men In Tights are two of my favorite Brooks movies.  I love Mel Brooks.

Written By: spaceace on 11/21/06 at 10:01 pm

Spaceballs and Men In Tights are two of my favorite Brooks movies.  I love Mel Brooks.

History Of The World part 1
Young Frankenstein

Written By: Dagwood on 11/21/06 at 10:06 pm

I could sit all day and watch Brooks movies.  Young Frankenstein would definitely be at the top of the list.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/06 at 10:28 pm

I could sit all day and watch Brooks movies.  Young Frankenstein would definitely be at the top of the list.

"Young Frankenstein" is hands down his best.  "Blazing Saddles" is second.  1974 was Mel's year of magic.

"Silent Movie," "High Anxiety," were also really good.  You could see things getting wobbly with "History of the World, Part I," but it still had some great bits.  "Spaceballs" was where his directorial abilities really lost their bearings.  I know, I know, everybody wanted to like "Spaceballs," and so did I, but it was a dud.  Brooks apologists tried to herald "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" as his new "Blazing Saddles," but it sucked dead donkey dongs.  It was all retread gags and rimshot jokes that might have worked 30 years earlier, but not in 1993!

Here's the thing about Mel Brooks, he's great at certain kinds of humor, sketches, and gags, but he needs other comedic talent surrounding him, such as Gene Wilder or Carl Reiner.  He had about six great movies in him as a director, starting with "The Producers" (1968) and ending with "High Anxiety" (1977), then he ran out of steam.

Written By: Tia on 11/21/06 at 10:34 pm

yeah, i think that's totally true about mel brooks only excelling as part of a package deal. gene wilder is a flawless comic performer. zero mostel kinda pushed the envelope but was also usually good. marty feldman, teri garr? forget it! they're wonderful!

but spaceballs, with bill pullman (who's been in some good vehicles but is basically just a little better than mediocre) and john candy, one of the most overrated performers ever... it was just doomed.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/06 at 12:02 pm

My class motto in high school was "Get Smart"  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 1:02 pm

;D

I was going to make a similar joke but couldn't think of a good one.  ;D ;D
History Of The World part 1
Young Frankenstein

These are my favorites, too.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 11/22/06 at 5:17 pm

I am awaiting this movie with some trepidation.  I have long been a Mel Brooks fan, but in the last 2 decades, he has been pretty hit-or-miss.

In fact, the only 2 movies of his in the last 2 decades I really liked was "History Of The World", and "Life Stinks".  Most of the others really stunk.

My favorite movies of his were during his more "intelectual" period.  Movies like "The Twelve Chairs", "High Anxiety", and "The Producers" have long been favorites of mine.  To bad the remake of The Producers stunk so badly.

And I actually enjoyed the Get Smart continuation on Fox several years ago.  I still remember a conversation on the show between Max's son, and Siegfried's daughter.  For long-time fans of the show, they will remember that Max's cover was that he worked for a greeting card company.

During a segment that had Zach Smart run into the daughter of Max's old enemy, the lamented on life growing up as the children of super-spies.  Zach talked about his father always telling him that he worked for a greeting card company.  Siegfried's daugher then talked about her father's always hiding his Foreign espionage missions by saying he was a doctor on a cruise ship.

;D

Written By: Tia on 11/22/06 at 5:38 pm

omg. the remake of the producers was the worst of the lot. the ONLY funny part was when what's her face paints the entire office white. other than that it was unwatchable from beginning to end.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/06 at 7:26 pm

yeah, i think that's totally true about mel brooks only excelling as part of a package deal. gene wilder is a flawless comic performer. zero mostel kinda pushed the envelope but was also usually good. marty feldman, teri garr? forget it! they're wonderful!

but spaceballs, with bill pullman (who's been in some good vehicles but is basically just a little better than mediocre) and john candy, one of the most overrated performers ever... it was just doomed.

The untimely death of Marty Feldman was a great loss to comedy.  Igor was awesome, but Feldman was so much more than that!

Don't order scallops in Mexico City!

Check for new replies or respond here...