inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2003: the start of the real 00's musically?

Written By: tv on 11/27/06 at 7:45 pm

To me 2003 was the start of real 00's musically. I mean that year 50 Cent, Maroon 5 Kanye west, Frankie J, all made the first top charting hit that year. Evanesence was also big in 2003 but I think "Bring Me To Life" came out in 2002 maybe but still. Whats everybody's opinion on this that 2003 was the first truly 00's year of music?

Subject: Re: 2003: the start of the real 00's musically?

Written By: Brian06 on 11/27/06 at 7:49 pm

Bring Me To Life definitely came out in 2003. Yeah 2003 was one of the first really defining years of the 00s musically.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/27/06 at 9:05 pm

2000 was the first year of 00's music.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/27/06 at 9:06 pm

Very true lol.

Written By: AstronautXKid on 11/28/06 at 3:25 am

Although 2003 was big with Evanescence, how can one consider 50 Cent's work "music"?

Somewhat of an oxymoron.

Anyway, although 2003 bought terrible music, I sense 2007 will bring a great new line of some decent music.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/28/06 at 6:49 pm

I would say 2003 was more of the style were used to listening to more recently, but I think the 00's defining year had to be 2005's music. That, to me, was a year where music did take a different turn compared to anything prior to it. 

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 12:23 am

2003 also had "Fighter" and "Can't Hold Us Down" by Christina Aguilera, two songs I think are awesome, actually just about every Christina song is awesome. I love "I'm With You" by Avril Lavigne too. Also Rock Wit U by Ashanti. Rock Your Body by Justin Timberlake was good too. Get Busy by Sean Paul I liked too along with Crazy In Love by Beyonce and Baby Boy. I actually really enjoyed 2003.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 12:26 am

Although 2003 was big with Evanescence, how can one consider 50 Cent's work "music"?

Somewhat of an oxymoron.

Anyway, although 2003 bought terrible music, I sense 2007 will bring a great new line of some decent music.

2003 had pretty good music overall I think though there was a good amount of crap. Lots of people like/liked 50 cent, I think he's just ok but he's better than some other modern rappers. Hip-hop is just as much music as rock is you have to remember that, I love both myself.

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 12:27 am

Somewhat of an oxymoron.

50 Cent you may not like him but to be fair he is intregal part of the 00's(03-05 anyway.) I happen to like couple of his songs like "21 Questions" and "Hate It Or Love IT" but I think his other songs like "P.I.M.P., "In Da Club", amd "Wanksta" are kinda lame.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 12:28 am

50 Cent you may not like him but to be fair he is intregal part of the 00's(03-05 anyway.) I happen to like couple of his songs like "21 Questions" and "Hate It Or Love IT" but I think his other songs like "P.I.M.P., "In Da Club", amd "Wanksta" are kinda lame.

50 cent ain't too bad, much better than snap rappers of 2006. I despise "snap" for the most part.

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 12:41 am

50 cent ain't too bad, much better than snap rappers of 2006. I despise "snap" for the most part.
What snap rappers are you talking about? When I think of snap-rap I think of artists such as DL4 and Dem franchise Boys but snap-rap is a more early 2006 trend than a current(late 2006 trend.)

Written By: tv on 11/29/06 at 1:09 am

To me 2003 was the start of real 00's musically. I mean that year 50 Cent, Maroon 5 Kanye west, Frankie J, all made the first top charting hit that year. Evanesence was also big in 2003 but I think "Bring Me To Life" came out in 2002 maybe but still. Whats everybody's opinion on this that 2003 was the first truly 00's year of music?
Oh yeah I forgot "The Killers" came out in 2003 and hit it big with "Somebody Told Me".

Written By: Brian06 on 11/29/06 at 1:11 am

Oh yeah I forgot "The Killers" came out in 2003 and hit it big with "Somebody Told Me".

That was 2004.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/30/06 at 10:23 pm

I sense 2007 will bring a great new line of some decent music.

Yeah, I think 2007 will have a lot more dance-pop/electronica. It already looks like it will be off to a good start with the new CD's released in the late part of 2006, like Gwen Stefani's new CD.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 9:42 am

Myself, I actually see it as 1999-2000.

I actually see that period as similar to 1979-1980.  During that era, Disco was finally gasping it's last breath, and new music was starting to fight it's way to the forefront of pop music.  And the artists had to either adapt and change (Olivia Newton-John), or die (The BeeGees).  By 1981, Disco was finally "dead", and new forms of music was gaining dominance: Punk and New Wave.

In 1999, we finally saw the end of the "Grunge" era.  The old flannel wearing groups from the early and mid 1990's were finally wearing out, and we had some new styles of music start to come to the forefront.  These can be seen as early as 1988 with Hanson, then in 1999 with Lou Bega and Mambo Number Five.  We also had groups like Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, Tim McGraw , and Shania Twain breaking into the Pop charts.

The large variety of groups of different genre show that people were finally getting tired of the Grunge and post-grunge style, and wanted something new.  And just like the early 1980's, it took them a while to decide what it is they wanted.  2003 was simply the time that they finally decided on a kind of style they wanted.

Written By: tv on 12/05/06 at 1:08 pm

Myself, I actually see it as 1999-2000.

I actually see that period as similar to 1979-1980.  During that era, Disco was finally gasping it's last breath, and new music was starting to fight it's way to the forefront of pop music.  And the artists had to either adapt and change (Olivia Newton-John), or die (The BeeGees).  By 1981, Disco was finally "dead", and new forms of music was gaining dominance: Punk and New Wave.

In 1999, we finally saw the end of the "Grunge" era.  The old flannel wearing groups from the early and mid 1990's were finally wearing out, and we had some new styles of music start to come to the forefront.  These can be seen as early as 1988 with Hanson, then in 1999 with Lou Bega and Mambo Number Five.  We also had groups like Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, Tim McGraw , and Shania Twain breaking into the Pop charts.

The large variety of groups of different genre show that people were finally getting tired of the Grunge and post-grunge style, and wanted something new.  And just like the early 1980's, it took them a while to decide what it is they wanted.  2003 was simply the time that they finally decided on a kind of style they wanted.
Yeah thats true New Wave finally established its place in mainstream nusic in 1983 just like the way a/c pop and glam rap took off onto the mainstream scene in 2003.

Hanson came out in 1997 and hit big with "MMMbop" I think not 1998 like I think like you were suggesting. Sugar Ray and Smash South I think blasted onto the mainstream musical scene in 1997 amd hit big with "Fly" and "Walkin On the Sun" respectively.

As for post-grunge and grunge yeah around 1999 grunge 1992-1996 style was pretty much dead even though a post grunge band like 'Creed" was pretty popular from 1997-2002.

As for pop-country don;t forget about Faith Hill along with Tim McGraw, and Shania Twain. Faith Hill hit big onto the Pop charts with "This Kiss" in 1998. "This Kiss" pretty much started the whole pop-country craze. Oh no wait that was LeAnn Rimes who strated the whole pop-country craze with "How Do I Live Without You" back in 1997 if I 'm correct.

finally I remember everybody on this board from 2003 up till mid 2005 was saying the 00's was like a 90's music re-run. I think thats petty laughable since Sugar Ray, Smash Mouth, and Creed are pretty much out of style and have been about for 4 years. Yes I know Creed disbanded last year I think.

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/05/06 at 2:57 pm

I agree that it seemed like, from about 1998-2003, there was a phase of attempting to decide what the next direction music would take would be. Some of these trends were Latin-flavored dance-pop, boy bands, techno-influenced dance-pop like Eiffel 65, "sunny pop" like the New Radicals, Smash Mouth, and Len, back-to-basics rock like the White Stripes, nu metal/post-grunge of every stripe, even stuff like Orgy and Velvet Acid Christ, and the earlier stuff like Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne of the piano-influenced soft-rock trend. Of course, there was stuff out there that would later gel into actual '00s music. You could argue 1988-1993 or so also saw the emergence of alot of trends in the space of confirmed ones, ranging from funk-rock to cheesy rap-based pop and house music.

There seems to be so much of a move to pigeonhole the new wave of the late '70s into being '80s music because new wave was clearly the antecedent of much of the popular music of that decade. However, from 1977-1979, new wave was kindred to the earlier art rock and underground rock by Lou Reed. New wave, not synthpop (which peaked in like, 1983 or so), actually peaked around 1979 and 1980, with the best albums by the Pretenders, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, the B-52s, Devo, the Talking Heads, Blondie, Joy Division, and other key new wave/post-punk artists. Synthpop, its descendent, is what became the popular music of 1983 and 1984 and begat dance-pop with the remnants of disco to form what has become THE top 40 template in the past 20 years.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/05/06 at 3:19 pm

Hanson came out in 1997 and hit big with "MMMbop" I think not 1998 like I think like you were suggesting. Sugar Ray and Smash South I think blasted onto the mainstream musical scene in 1997 amd hit big with "Fly" and "Walkin On the Sun" respectively.

I know it was 1997, but it was late 1997.  In fact, I remember first hearing Hanson during the time of the World Seires, which sould make it October.  That is close enough to 1998 to make very little difference.  And just like Herman stated, that was an era of change while we decided what kind of music we would listen to for the next 5-10 years.

That was really the beginning of the change-over into what we listen to today.  And that happens every decade or so.  Some form of music becomes dominant, and tends to last for 4-6 years.  Then people get tired of it.  Then you will have a rash of "New Sounds", which will fight and mix among themselves for a while, until one of them becomes dominant again.

And Country has long been one of those that gains dominance during that era.  In the early to mid 1970's, you had groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hank Williams Jr., and even a "Country Sounding " Eagles hit the charts, before Disco became the dominant music.  And in the "Post New Wave" era, you had atrists like Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus hitting the charts (along with Dolly Parton).  Then we moved to "Modern Rock", which evolved into what we now call "Grunge".

Myself, I think we are starting to hit that again.  Part of the problem with most music today is that it is basically all the same.  I still occasionally work as a DJ, and one of the common complaints that I hear is that there is really very little music you can "slow dance" to.  When people want to cuddle-up on the dance floor, I pretty much gotta either find some of the milder R&B songs, or dust off my "oldies" from the 1970's and 1980's.  There is very little made in the last 10-15 years that is really appropriate for slow dancing.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/05/06 at 3:34 pm

There was quite a change in pop music between 2002 and 2003. 2003 is really when hip-hop/rap turned into "crunk" and got dirtier and more club oriented, and generally took over the pop charts. Early 2000s hip-hop was more llistenable and generally more r&b influenced,  I think 2003 was when it really became in your face popular and when all the kids started to want to be "pimp" and stuff. In pop P!nk and Michelle Branch pretty much have faded away. (Pink is still big overseas, but her new album has flopped in the US) Especially by fall 2003, it was very apparent.

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/05/06 at 6:36 pm

I know it was 1997, but it was late 1997.  In fact, I remember first hearing Hanson during the time of the World Seires, which sould make it October.  That is close enough to 1998 to make very little difference.  And just like Herman stated, that was an era of change while we decided what kind of music we would listen to for the next 5-10 years.

That was really the beginning of the change-over into what we listen to today.  And that happens every decade or so.  Some form of music becomes dominant, and tends to last for 4-6 years.  Then people get tired of it.  Then you will have a rash of "New Sounds", which will fight and mix among themselves for a while, until one of them becomes dominant again.

And Country has long been one of those that gains dominance during that era.  In the early to mid 1970's, you had groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hank Williams Jr., and even a "Country Sounding " Eagles hit the charts, before Disco became the dominant music.  And in the "Post New Wave" era, you had atrists like Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus hitting the charts (along with Dolly Parton).  Then we moved to "Modern Rock", which evolved into what we now call "Grunge".

Myself, I think we are starting to hit that again.  Part of the problem with most music today is that it is basically all the same.  I still occasionally work as a DJ, and one of the common complaints that I hear is that there is really very little music you can "slow dance" to.  When people want to cuddle-up on the dance floor, I pretty much gotta either find some of the milder R&B songs, or dust off my "oldies" from the 1970's and 1980's.  There is very little made in the last 10-15 years that is really appropriate for slow dancing.

That is true...niche sounds that are always there but only rarely gain attention of the whole public tend to become big in the in-between periods. Latin music also became pretty big in the late '80s/early '90s as hair metal and the late '80s-style dance-pop and pop-rock were starting to evaporate (think: Gloria Estefan.) Tween pop also tends to gain national attention at the end of the decades.

I think it was really the sound of Whitney Houston, among other polished, R&B-influenced, chameleons of the late '80s charts, that developed into the sound of '90s radio, with contributions from house music, lighter hip-hop, country, soft-rock of that era, etc.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/05/06 at 11:07 pm

Music started on January 1st, 2000.

Music is music, no matter how good it is.

Plus, I'd say there was no real start to "good" music in the 2000's. Sure there were some good albums, but they don't get popular, and they've been going throughout the whole decade, so far.

Written By: tv on 12/06/06 at 1:05 am

There was quite a change in pop music between 2002 and 2003. 2003 is really when hip-hop/rap turned into "crunk" and got dirtier and more club oriented, and generally took over the pop charts. Early 2000s hip-hop was more llistenable and generally more r&b influenced,  I think 2003 was when it really became in your face popular and when all the kids started to want to be "pimp" and stuff. In pop P!nk and Michelle Branch pretty much have faded away. (Pink is still big overseas, but her new album has flopped in the US) Especially by fall 2003, it was very apparent.
Yean thats true early 00's hip-hop was still R&B influened. For example "I Need A Girl" by P. diddy and Usher was a hit in 2002 but it may have not been a hit if it was released in mid to late 2003. hip Hop from 1997-2002 pretty much didn;'t change that much in style.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/06/06 at 2:56 am

Yeah, I've always felt like 2003 was the year that rap really got big. Throughout the late '90s/early '00s rap(well current styled rap anyway)
continued to get more and more popular and then in '03 it just sort of exploded(I'm pretty sure that the music charts were dominated by rap that year).

Written By: tv on 12/07/06 at 12:33 am

Yeah, I've always felt like 2003 was the year that rap really got big. Throughout the late '90s/early '00s rap(well current styled rap anyway)
continued to get more and more popular and then in '03 it just sort of exploded(I'm pretty sure that the music charts were dominated by rap that year).
Yeah 2003 Raps popularity went into overdrive when 50 Cent came onto the scene. What people don't mention too as well is hip-hop's popularity also escalated in my opinion too because of the Nas/Jay-Z fued back in 2002. As for the late 90's/early 00's from 1999-2002 I don;t think hip-hop was any more popular than rock. It was just those 2 factors that I mentioned with the Nas/Jay-Z fued and 50 Cent coming onto the scene that hip-hops popularity went way up.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 6:20 pm

I agree with you... listen to 504 Boyz and they sound soo 2000s.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/01/08 at 6:22 pm

Snap is awesome!!!

Written By: chatterbox on 01/03/08 at 3:05 am

2003 was simply the time that they finally decided on a kind of style they wanted.

I totally agree. 2003 had "My immortal", "Crazy in love", "Where is the love",

Check for new replies or respond here...