inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tornado strikes central London

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/06 at 1:58 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6217514.stm

Up to 150 houses and many cars were damaged when the freak weather hit the Kensal Rise area.

One man in his 50s suffered a serious head injury and five were treated for minor injuries and shock.

Subject: Re: Tornado strikes central London

Written By: La Roche on 12/07/06 at 2:43 pm

Expect more Philip.

Written By: Paul on 12/07/06 at 2:46 pm

My garden fence is still standing, which is a bonus!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/06 at 2:48 pm

Expect more Philip.
The weather looks bad for the weekend.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/06 at 2:49 pm

My garden fence is still standing, which is a bonus!
Is you garden shed still intact?

Written By: Paul on 12/07/06 at 2:50 pm

Is you garden shed still intact?

Certainly is...

...in fact, I don't think anything's moved (apart from the cat!)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/07/06 at 2:50 pm

That's crazy!  I hope everyone is ok!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/06 at 2:53 pm

That's crazy!  I hope everyone is ok!
Several people are injured, nothing serious I believe. Many homes ruined with the residences sleep in accommodation run by the local council.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/07/06 at 2:59 pm

That's scary!  :o

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/06 at 3:00 pm

That's scary!  :o

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt...
I will do my best to keep up with the news.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 4:43 pm

For all of you who live in London, my thoughts are with you.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/06 at 5:28 pm

"Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kensel Rise anymore!"
::)

Written By: nally on 12/07/06 at 5:29 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Philip and everyone who lives in the London area. :\'( :-[

I'm just glad to know that Philip himself is okay. :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/07/06 at 6:06 pm

That is scary, especially since the UK is so unaccustomed to such weather... I've already heard a few jokes about the storm hitting Gwyneth Paltrow's London home on the Internet...  ;D But, seriously, hope everyone is doing okay!

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/06 at 10:09 pm

Glad to hear you are ok Phillip :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 12:28 am

That is scary, especially since the UK is so unaccustomed to such weather... I've already heard a few jokes about the storm hitting Gwyneth Paltrow's London home on the Internet...  ;D But, seriously, hope everyone is doing okay!
Was it a reply to something she said?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 12:28 am

Glad to hear you are ok Phillip :)
btw, I was making tea at the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 12:32 am

Some of the homes affected by the tornado which swept through north-west London will have to be demolished while others remain too dangerous to enter.

Written By: Stompgal on 12/08/06 at 3:17 am

I live in North London and I was shocked to hear the news about the tornado. The wind has been very strong lately and it even kept me awake. Luckily I was safe and not within the area of the tornado.

Written By: Gis on 12/08/06 at 3:22 am

We got the tail end of the storm in Oxford around 5-ish. That was pretty scary as I was working in the old library which is covered in scaffolding at the moment and that was making some very 'interesting' noises................ :-\\

Written By: Tia on 12/08/06 at 7:33 am

how often does that happen?

didn't we just recently have the first ever hurricane in the southern hemisphere, or some such?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 10:34 am

didn't we just recently have the first ever hurricane in the southern hemisphere, or some such?
Someone must know soemwhere?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 10:35 am

I could hear the helicopters that were surveying the area all day today.

Written By: Tia on 12/08/06 at 10:43 am

Someone must know soemwhere?
if no one knows i'd say that is probably a sign that it doesn't happen very often. statistics on the per annum frequency of sasquatch attacks here in falls church va are hard to come by also.

Written By: La Roche on 12/08/06 at 10:59 am

Tornados used to total freak occurences in the UK, but with the gradual temperature changes they are becoming more and more common, occuring several times every year now. Remember the one in Birmingham, didn't that kill a couple of people.
In Leicester there was a one that took out somebody's house, a roof tile hit a guy in the head and about destroyed his skull - he was of course, very dead.

Written By: karen on 12/08/06 at 11:11 am

Despite what people might think apparently Britain has the highest number of tornadoes for its surface area than any other country.  (Although I've also heard that the Dutch are now trying to claim this title)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3059663.stm

Written By: karen on 12/08/06 at 11:18 am

I don't think so.  IIRC Hurricane Tracey hit Australia in 1974 (around Christmas time)

Written By: Tia on 12/08/06 at 11:44 am

I don't think so.  IIRC Hurricane Tracey hit Australia in 1974 (around Christmas time)
dagnabbit, quit being sensible when i'm trying to start a panic! ;) ;D

i think it mighta been the first ever cyclone to his the pacific coast of south america? heck, i don't remember now. there was some first ever hurricane statistic.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 12:11 pm

Tornados used to total freak occurences in the UK, but with the gradual temperature changes they are becoming more and more common, occuring several times every year now. Remember the one in Birmingham, didn't that kill a couple of people.
In Leicester there was a one that took out somebody's house, a roof tile hit a guy in the head and about destroyed his skull - he was of course, very dead.
That is right there was a freak tornado in Brimingham about one week before the Edgbaston Test in the Ashes Series, where the house was very close to the ground.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/06 at 12:13 pm

It has been announced that 34 houses are now empty and the residents cannot not return to them, a number are due for demolition.

Written By: freeridemt on 12/08/06 at 1:34 pm

Despite what people might think apparently Britain has the highest number of tornadoes for its surface area than any other country.  (Although I've also heard that the Dutch are now trying to claim this title)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3059663.stm

hey get it right it is only for Europe   :o that it has that record nothing can compare to the so called bible belt or death belt for tornadoe's.
What is commonly called tornado alley. A few years ago all 50 states had at least one.
Florida has the most in the US but theirs are considered on the weaker side. In the USA on a average 1000 of them hit each year.
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/2006-04-03-tornado-basics_x.htm
But in the last 5 years tornadoe's have hit in parts of Europe that have never seen them ever.  So much for the climate not changing.
I feel sorry for the places that are not used to em. They really don't have the teaching to survive them. Heck even here a lot people never listen to how live through them.  My heart goes out to those that have lost loved ones or have lost their homes.

Here is a small list of what they say are the worse.
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/killers.html
The worse one is the Tri-state one that almost 700 people died from.
There is no doubt that they are increasing on a yearly basis worlwide.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 12/09/06 at 1:47 am

Actually it was CYCLONE Tracy - and yes it was on Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day morning.

Hurricanes, Cyclones and Typhoons are all exactly the same type of storm. Their name is different depending on their location in the world and the clockwise or anticlockwise directions of the winds.

Hurricanes are generally named as such in the Northern Hemisphere.
Cyclones are generally named as such in the Southern Hemisphere, throughout the southern Pacific Islands, New Zealand, and the east and west coasts of Australia.
Typhoons are generally named as such in the north western pacific - ie the asian countries.

Australia records an average of 6 - 10 cyclones each summer on either coast. Tho there have been years when we have had more than that in one season. I have lived through some pretty powerful ones in the 70s in the north west of Australia.

My uncles town in the far north east of Aus was pretty much destroyed earlier this year when Cyclone Larry hit. It was more powerful than H. Katrina and wiped out 500 million dollars worth of banana and mango plantations, along with ancient rainforrests.

I know when I lived in the UK in the late 80s and early 90s we experienced some seriously bad storms and tail ends of hurricanes - but had never heard of tornados there. The damage I saw on last nights news looks really bad. Glad to hear all our members here were ok.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/10/06 at 5:28 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6217514.stm

Up to 150 houses and many cars were damaged when the freak weather hit the Kensal Rise area.

One man in his 50s suffered a serious head injury and five were treated for minor injuries and shock.

Just over 2 years ago, when I was still living in Nebraska, an F4 tornado (which was 1/2 mile wide) touched down about 15 miles south of Lincoln and completely wiped out one small town, caused considerable damage to another, and severely damaged a high school (which was one of my school's main rivals and that I'd been to many times. Amazingly, despite the devastation, there was only one fatality.) It wasn't the first time that I'd seen an area that had been hit by a tornado, but it's quite unsettling when it happens right in your own neck of the woods.

Check for new replies or respond here...