inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the console war has begun

Written By: annonymouse on 12/09/06 at 3:42 pm

finaly, now that the xbox 360 is generating some solid game titles, and the ps3 and wii are actualy out, the next-gen console war has officialy begun. who will win?

i would have to say the xbox 360. it seems to have become what the ps2 once was. a console for everyone, while at the same time, generating some good solid titles (halo3, halo wars, gears of war, splinter cell ect.). while the ps3, with its hefty price tag seems to be designated for hardcore gamers only. and nintendo's target audience for the wii seems to be adults and small children. not gamers.   

Subject: Re: the console war has begun

Written By: Brian06 on 12/09/06 at 3:50 pm

Right now I think 360 has the advantage.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/06 at 4:19 pm

My son is going for a wii

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/06 at 4:32 pm

The XBox will dominate, only because you can actually get them in stores

I was in Future Shop (Canada's version of Best Buy) tonight, and they had big and small signs everywhere saying that they were sold out of the Wii and PS3, yet I saw all kinds of people in there asking if they had any.  One kid was even crying, and a bunch of other kids were throwing fits.  I think one of those kids got mad and smashed something

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/10/06 at 12:13 pm

I think this is going to be one of the closest most competitive console generations ever. I see it being close between the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the top spot. But i'm still not going to count the PS3 out. Despite its price its a very powerful machine.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/06 at 1:56 pm

X Box 360 will the victor, for now.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 12/10/06 at 2:48 pm

ill get a ps3 when the online dosent suck any more till then xbox 360 and maybe wii

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/06 at 4:23 pm

Why don't they just combine all three into one mega system?

The Ps-Wii 360 ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/10/06 at 6:59 pm

The Ps-Wii 360 ;D

I wonder how much that would cost :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/10/06 at 8:35 pm

I wonder how much that would cost :-\\

Being that there would be absolutely no competition in the console industry, it would have an astronomical cost.  The only reason the three consoles out right now are not even more expensive is the fact that they have a competitor, otherwise they could charge whatever they wanted and the gamers would have to pay it if they wanted to play.

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/11/06 at 1:51 am

The Ps3 just got into the game so you can't really judge. Sony may frustrate people with its' bad system launching habits, but the Game lineups NEVER dissapoint. So xbox360, enjoy the spotlight while you can.

As far as flailing around while playing a videogame goes...I have DDR, I don't need a Wii.

Written By: SG15Z on 12/11/06 at 9:31 am

XBox 360 will prevail over the christmas season cause they're always in stock and easy to find as opposed to Wii and PS3. Plus 360 has a lot of anticipated games that are already out. Wii however after playing it myself will prevail as the most played console once it's games really start popping out because it's so much fun to play. I've even found elderly that hate video games playing the Wii Sports becasue you do so much more than press buttons. So I say Wii may not win in sales at first it will still be the most popular out of all ages.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/11/06 at 2:37 pm

The Ps-Wii 360 ;D

I'm so there already!  ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 12/11/06 at 3:13 pm

Being that there would be absolutely no competition in the console industry, it would have an astronomical cost.  The only reason the three consoles out right now are not even more expensive is the fact that they have a competitor, otherwise they could charge whatever they wanted and the gamers would have to pay it if they wanted to play.

Fortunately we have competition in the videogaming industry so the individual gamer can choose the console that best suits them.  As stated previously, the PS3 seems targeted toward the most hardcore breed of gamer.  I think this generation will see the 360 become the casual gamers' system of choice.  It already has a solid lineup of games, with the likes of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Gears of War, plus numerous impressive sports titles. 

I've been on a frantic hunt to find a Wii before the holidays and have thus far turned up empty-handed.  Fortunately I didn't decide to get into the PlayStation 3 madness.  The PlayStation 3 is the perfect example of the shortcomings of products that are rushed to retail.  Sony obviously wanted to go head-to-head with the Wii and the rest of the Christmas market, despite the fact that Nintendo is obviously catering to a different audience.  In my opinion, the developers should spend all the time necessary ensuring that their product is the highest quality possible before making the oft-repeated error of rushing the product to market. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/06 at 6:23 pm

I've been on a frantic hunt to find a Wii before the holidays and have thus far turned up empty-handed.  Fortunately I didn't decide to get into the PlayStation 3 madness.  The PlayStation 3 is the perfect example of the shortcomings of products that are rushed to retail.  Sony obviously wanted to go head-to-head with the Wii and the rest of the Christmas market, despite the fact that Nintendo is obviously catering to a different audience.  In my opinion, the developers should spend all the time necessary ensuring that their product is the highest quality possible before making the oft-repeated error of rushing the product to market. 

Did you also notice that PS3 commercials don't really show off the games that well, just the fact that it's a George Foreman grill-type thing that makes Rubiks Cubes explode?  The only good game commercial I saw for PS3 was for Resistance, and that didn't look anywhere as cool as GOW.  Whoever is doing Sony's marketing this season needs to be slapped.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/11/06 at 6:35 pm

Did you also notice that PS3 commercials don't really show off the games that well, just the fact that it's a George Foreman grill-type thing that makes Rubiks Cubes explode?  The only good game commercial I saw for PS3 was for Resistance, and that didn't look anywhere as cool as GOW.  Whoever is doing Sony's marketing this season needs to be slapped.

Well that because Resistance is the only good game for PS3 right now lol.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/06 at 6:40 pm

Oh well.  Wait a year, see what happens. 

I have noticed a lot more 360 commercials, including the ads for the Burger King games and from Best Buy touting it as the future of gaming.  Which could be because they think 360 > PS3, or simply because there are no PS3s available so it would be pointless to advertise something they couldn't sell :P

Written By: Stompgal on 12/14/06 at 7:10 am

I'm going for the PS3. I already own a PS2 and I'd like a PSP for Christmas.

Check for new replies or respond here...