inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An Inconvenient Truth

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 9:16 pm

Have any of you seen Al Gore's new documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth" yet?

Here's a link:
http://www.climatecrisis.net/

I saw him on Oprah, and he was talking about this new documentary regarding global warming, climate crisis, etc...and it was pretty interesting..I learned a lot of things that I never knew.

Subject: Re: An Inconvenient Truth

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/12/06 at 10:25 am

it's on my christmas list.  i can't wait to see it. i'm totally obsessed with global warming...  i know it's probably just a coincidence but where i live we've only had 1 or 2 days in the last month were the temp was average.  it's usually about 10+ degrees above average...very strange. kinda scary too.  i saw that 1/2 the species on earth will probably be gone by the end of this century.  and that our grandkids will be growing up in a VERY different world than we live in now

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/12/06 at 10:35 am

it's on my christmas list.  i can't wait to see it. i'm totally obsessed with global warming...  i know it's probably just a coincidence but where i live we've only had 1 or 2 days in the last month were the temp was average.  it's usually about 10+ degrees above average...very strange. kinda scary too.  i saw that 1/2 the species on earth will probably be gone by the end of this century.  and that our grandkids will be growing up in a VERY different world than we live in now

Practically ALL of the middle-aged people I know tell me that it is indeed hotter nowadays than when they were growing up. Here where I live in Texas, back in the 60s when my dad and uncle were teenagers, it hardly EVER hit 100. Now every summer you get 20 or 30 days when it will do so. I also had an older person from Chicago tell me that when they were a kid they remember not being able to go trick or treat because it was snowing and having snow days in October and November quite frequently but that hardly ever happens now.

But there are some people who insist that global warming is just the result of our planet still heating up from the last Ice Age. It sounds like apologist hogwash to me. Its been what? About 12,000 years since the last Ice Age ended?  Considering how much the weather has changed in the last forty years, am I really expected to believe this has been going on for the last 12,000 years? If it had, it would seem we'd be able to read about how back in the 1500s winter weather would start in August. But that isn't the case.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/12/06 at 4:49 pm

Practically ALL of the middle-aged people I know tell me that it is indeed hotter nowadays than when they were growing up. Here where I live in Texas, back in the 60s when my dad and uncle were teenagers, it hardly EVER hit 100. Now every summer you get 20 or 30 days when it will do so. I also had an older person from Chicago tell me that when they were a kid they remember not being able to go trick or treat because it was snowing and having snow days in October and November quite frequently but that hardly ever happens now.

But there are some people who insist that global warming is just the result of our planet still heating up from the last Ice Age. It sounds like apologist hogwash to me. Its been what? About 12,000 years since the last Ice Age ended?  Considering how much the weather has changed in the last forty years, am I really expected to believe this has been going on for the last 12,000 years? If it had, it would seem we'd be able to read about how back in the 1500s winter weather would start in August. But that isn't the case.

What I hate about the "natural cycle" hypothesis is the conclusion, "Well, if it's a natural cycle, then it's OK for us to keep pumping outrageous amounts of sh*t into the atmosphere!"  It's analogous to those three-pack-a-day smokers who denied cigarettes caused cancer...and yet at the age of 30, they couldn't run around the block without getting winded and coughing up icky stuff!
::)

As a lifelong New Englander, I feel how much harsher the sun is, how much hotter the summer is, and how much warmer the winters are than when I was a child in the 1970s.

People argue about temperature averages and so forth, but I'm telling you, something has changed in the atmosphere itself.  We used to get our 90+ degree heatwaves when I was a kid as we do today, but the sun beats down more brutally than it used to.  It's like the rays of the sun are shooting through a thinner atmosphere.  We had a couple of days last July when the temperature hit 100+ degrees.  The sun made me feel like my head was broiling.  It was driving me nuts!

My friend Roger showed me a photo of his brother and him taken right here in this very town dated 8/31/60.  It's a color photo and you can see the leaves have already changed.  The leaves don't even begin to change nowadays until the third week of September!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/12/06 at 6:17 pm

I haven't seen the documentary yet, but I plan on watching it soon. It's very sobering to realize that how the world has been talking about global warming over the past couple of decades, and that it is already without a doubt taking place...  :o

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/12/06 at 9:57 pm

What I hate about the "natural cycle" hypothesis is the conclusion, "Well, if it's a natural cycle, then it's OK for us to keep pumping outrageous amounts of sh*t into the atmosphere!"  It's analogous to those three-pack-a-day smokers who denied cigarettes caused cancer...and yet at the age of 30, they couldn't run around the block without getting winded and coughing up icky stuff!
::)

As a lifelong New Englander, I feel how much harsher the sun is, how much hotter the summer is, and how much warmer the winters are than when I was a child in the 1970s.

People argue about temperature averages and so forth, but I'm telling you, something has changed in the atmosphere itself.  We used to get our 90+ degree heatwaves when I was a kid as we do today, but the sun beats down more brutally than it used to.  It's like the rays of the sun are shooting through a thinner atmosphere.  We had a couple of days last July when the temperature hit 100+ degrees.  The sun made me feel like my head was broiling.  It was driving me nuts!

My friend Roger showed me a photo of his brother and him taken right here in this very town dated 8/31/60.  It's a color photo and you can see the leaves have already changed.  The leaves don't even begin to change nowadays until the third week of September!

Another example: The county fair here has always taken place during the last week of September, and I can remember back to 12 or 13 years ago when I was little and we went and we always wore jackets, because it was always chilly. However the past few years September has seemed to be warmer and warmer. I went to the fair several times this year, all at night, and none of those times could I wear a jacket. September has pretty much became a summer month here.

Same thing with May, its became warmer. My uncle told me that back in the 60s May was more temperate, hardly ever hitting 90, staying mostly in the 80s for highs. Nowadays May is a summer month here, it hits 90 about half the days in the month or more.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 9:59 pm

ya, our winters are so different now too. They used to be so cold...lots of snow...but it's so warm now...we have such mild winters, it's not even funny.

Subject: Re: An Even More Inconvenient Truth

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/12/06 at 10:58 pm

An Even More Inconvenient Truth:  Sure, there's global warming to the point that the north polar ice cap will be gone by 2040. So...

Upside #1:  Either several million square miles of Canadian Tundra that can be bought for pennies an acre will be worth trillions as prime farmland.

Upside #2:  Or when we realize we're past the tipping point and we want to stop the Canucks from taking over the world,  the only solution will be to counteract global warming with a massive short-term injection of particulate matter into the stratosphere. And since we can't fire up a volcano on demand, the only means available will be to glass the Middle East with a few tens of gigatons of nuclear fire, and let's be honest, does anyone really care who wins that one anymore? :)

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 12/12/06 at 11:31 pm

This past summer just walking out side made my skin feel like it was burning . >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...