inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Say It Right - Nelly Furtado, and the impact of "Loose"

Written By: Brian06 on 12/12/06 at 6:43 am

My favorite song right now and it is blowing up over here thankfully. I really hope this goes in the top 5 soon and pushes away Akon. It's one of the best on loose, I think. This is the song that will lead us into 2007. And don't say it's the same thing we've been hearing for 5 years, because this is definitely not. I actually think Loose is a very innovative album, yes it incorporates hip-hop elements, but it molds dance, hip-hop, and pop together in like the perfect way and in no way is selling out, and really sets the stage for the sound of the late 2000s imo (going away from "glam rap" to a more hip-hop dance style).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CayCjo3XA

Subject: Re: Say It Right - Nelly Furtado, and the impact of "Loose"

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/06 at 3:41 pm

"Loose" was a big change for her.  Her previous album "Folklore" charted several singles in Canada and Internationally, but it didn't do anything on Billboard, apart from the album itself barely scraping the Top 40.  I think "Loose" was her attempt to break back into the American market.  It sure worked for her.  She's more successful now than she ever was

Written By: nally on 02/02/07 at 11:17 pm

I've heard the song and it isn't too bad. It does get stuck in my head a lot though.

"Loose" was a big change for her.  Her previous album "Folklore" charted several singles in Canada and Internationally, but it didn't do anything on Billboard, apart from the album itself barely scraping the Top 40.  I think "Loose" was her attempt to break back into the American market.  It sure worked for her.  She's more successful now than she ever was

Yeah I remember Folklore... it contained the singles "Powerless (Say What You Want)" and "Try", which got a decent amount of airplay in the U.S. but didn't do so well on the charts. :-\\

Written By: Zoso on 02/04/07 at 12:23 am

I liked "Whoa, Nelly!" the best. It had songs like "I'm Like a Bird" and "Turn Off The Lights". It's a much better album than "Loose".

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/04/07 at 11:35 am

I agree. We are starting to hear some new sounds in music. The mix of hip-hop and dance is also known as "trip-hop". I like the "Say It Right" song a lot better than "Promiscuous", and she has a lot of other good songs on that album.

Written By: nally on 02/04/07 at 1:33 pm

I liked "Whoa, Nelly!" the best. It had songs like "I'm Like a Bird" and "Turn Off The Lights". It's a much better album than "Loose".

I agree...those two songs were her best, IMHO. I especially like the eclectic mix of instruments used in "Turn Off The Light". 8)

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/07 at 1:49 pm

Is Nelly Furtado fading out in the States?  Her last two singles "All Good Things (Come to an End)"  and the recent one "Do It" have not performed well in the US chart :\'(

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/07 at 2:28 pm

Is Nelly Furtado fading out in the States?  Her last two singles "All Good Things (Come to an End)"  and the recent one "Do It" have not performed well in the US chart :\'(

I know what a shame.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/22/07 at 7:22 am

i've got "loose", too....i really wish "meaneater" had been a big hit. that's my favorite song on the album.

how many hits has it had in the u.s.? 2? for some reason, it seems like there was more.....

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/07 at 12:14 pm

i've got "loose", too....i really wish "meaneater" had been a big hit. that's my favorite song on the album.

how many hits has it had in the u.s.? 2? for some reason, it seems like there was more.....

5 hits in the US, but only 3 made the Top 40

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/07 at 5:14 pm

I think when she decided to sing sluutty ("promiscuous") that was that.  The regular fan base lost interest.

Written By: tv on 08/22/07 at 7:44 pm

I think when she decided to sing sluutty ("promiscuous") that was that.  The regular fan base lost interest.
Yeah but "Promuiscouis" went to Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 so its not like her at least too much of her regular fanbase rejected the song. I don;t see "Promiscouis" as slutty. I mean Bell Biv Devoe did those 2 racy songs in 1990 with "Do Me" and Poisin" and nobody was calling BBD members Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, or Ralph Tresvant male sluts so how come when a woman singer does a  song with sexually suggested lyrics its labeled as sluttly. Its a double standard in my opinion.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/22/07 at 8:07 pm

All Good Things probably had flop written all over it, it's just well almost you could say it's too good to do well on the hot 100. Do It is also something that just probably won't work here on the charts, in europe it would work but not here. She's still had plenty of success here though and a good selling album.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/22/07 at 8:46 pm

I don;t see "Promiscouis" as slutty. I mean Bell Biv Devoe did those 2 racy songs in 1990 with "Do Me" and Poisin" and nobody was calling BBD members Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, or Ralph Tresvant male sluts so how come when a woman singer does a  song with sexually suggested lyrics its labeled as sluttly. Its a double standard in my opinion.

I didn't make the rules.  I just report on them...  :P

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/07 at 8:57 pm

She is doing better in the UK than she is in the US.  I don't know if I should be surprised by that or not

To be honest though, I am surprised she came back into the US chart.  I thought since 'Folklore' didn't do well in the States, that she would be finished over there.  Glad to know I was wrong.  Minor hits or not, she's still hitting the US chart.  Other Canadians like Daniel Powter haven't been able to achieve that

Written By: tv on 08/24/07 at 5:18 pm

She is doing better in the UK than she is in the US.  I don't know if I should be surprised by that or not

To be honest though, I am surprised she came back into the US chart.  I thought since 'Folklore' didn't do well in the States, that she would be finished over there.  Glad to know I was wrong.  Minor hits or not, she's still hitting the US chart.  Other Canadians like Daniel Powter haven't been able to achieve that
Well I think the reason why Daniel Powter can;t chart in the US is because rap music getting popular again in 2007. I don;t know rap really wasn;t that popular from March 2006-Feburary 2007 in the US but as soon as "This Is Why I;m Hot" came out in the US rap just started to chart like crazy again like it did from 2003-early 2006.

Written By: tv on 08/24/07 at 5:22 pm

All Good Things probably had flop written all over it, it's just well almost you could say it's too good to do well on the hot 100. Do It is also something that just probably won't work here on the charts, in europe it would work but not here. She's still had plenty of success here though and a good selling album.
The problem with "Do It' is that it sounds very 1980's I mean Proimscouis and Say It Right did have their 80's influences but those 2 songs also had a modern edge to them to go along with the 80's influences but Do It just doesn;t sound modern enough that it just sounds too 1980's.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/24/07 at 8:23 pm

i really like 'all good things come to an end'. i saw a music video for it on youtube a few months before it was even released as a single....

Written By: Brian06 on 08/24/07 at 9:29 pm

Honestly the main reason that Bad Day was popular in the US was the promotion on American Idol, before that it was just an A/C radio minor hit. I never heard any of his other songs on the radio here. Likely he's a one hit wonder here.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/07 at 10:32 pm

The fact that Daniel Powter even reached the US Top 40 is somewhat of an astonishing feat.  It may seen like there have been alot of Canadian artists reaching the US chart, but it's a really small number compared to the the ones that don't ever make it out of Canada

Artists like Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Three Days Grace, Finger Eleven and others have been very lucky to see the Billboard Hot 100, even though the latter two have not had a US Top 40 hit outside of the US Rock chart

Do the Billboard Rock chart(s) have much affect on the songs you hear on the radio?  I know Finger Eleven's recent smash 'Paralyzer' was #1 on both the Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock Chart but do you ever hear it on the radio or see the video on TV?

Check for new replies or respond here...