inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rocky Balboa

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/20/06 at 12:07 pm

The new Rocky movie opens today. Do any of you want to see it?

Subject: Re: Rocky Balboa

Written By: La Roche on 12/20/06 at 1:28 pm

I guess, if you're offering. But you get the popcorn.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/20/06 at 2:05 pm

I  vaguely remember the first one but I never saw the others.  Plus, I don't really dig boxing, so my answer would have to be no.

Written By: whistledog on 12/20/06 at 4:32 pm

I'll see this movie.  I saw Stallone on The Tonight Show talking about how he basically decided to do this movie because Rocky V was a disappointment to the fans, which it was.

This movie also shows that Stallone is not too old to still do the physical action.  If they ever do a Rocky VII, then they are just stretching it too far

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/20/06 at 4:33 pm

Nope.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/20/06 at 4:52 pm

It should be bootleggable in about a week.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/20/06 at 5:17 pm

From IMDb.com:

When it was originally announced, the decision to make yet another Rocky movie with Sylvester Stallone playing the character he created 30 years ago was almost universally hooted. "Critics are going to have a field day with it," was the general consensus. Well, as it turns out, the reviews for Rocky Balboa are pretty good. Richard Roeper in the Chicago Sun-Times writes: "Rocky Balboa is not the embarrassment many expected it to be. It's actually the best Rocky movie since the original -- a fitting and triumphant final chapter for one of the most iconic characters in the history of motion pictures." Similarly, Stephen Holden in the New York Times writes: "Surprisingly Rocky Balboa, is no embarrassment. Like its forerunners it goes the distance almost in spite of itself." Claudia Puig in USA Today quotes Rocky himself: "Who wouldda thunk?" And Geoff Pevere in the Toronto Star has this take on the film's accomplishment: "Satisfying in the end because it's not nearly as bad as it could have been, Rocky Balboa succeeds mostly because it does what the character does: gets through without falling flat on its ass." The film may also resurrect the faded career of Sylvester Stallone, other critics observe. "Defying all odds," Michael Wilmington writes in the Chicago Tribune, Stallone's movie "comes close to a knockout."

And from CNN.com:

Rocky Balboa sucks

So it's a toss-up, I suppose.

Written By: Cheetara on 12/20/06 at 6:34 pm

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I will go to see this movie.  I, too, saw Stallone promoting the movie on the "Tonight Show (Jay Leno).  ::) 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/20/06 at 8:43 pm

Eventually...

Right now, I am watching Rocky III.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/21/06 at 1:03 am

Only if Dolph Lundgen is in it. I've always wondered what happened to Ivan Drago after Rocky defeated him despite overwhelming odds (and, in doing so, won the hearts and minds of the Soviet people and even inspired Mikhail Gorbachev to begin the policies of glasnost and perestroika, which ultimately led to the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and the breakup of the Soviet Union. Remember? "If I can change, and you can change...then EVERYONE can change!")
    After his bout against Rocky, did the KGB take Drago out behind the arena and put a bullet in his head? Did they ship him off to some gulag in Siberia? Or is he alive and well and working at some steel mill in Minsk?
    Al wants to know.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 11:07 am

I'm going to go see it(obviously).

I love 1-3(especially the original) and at first I wasn't too sure at the prospect of Rocky VI since V sucked so bad, but after I read the script review for the film and started seeing previews, I knew it was going to be good.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/21/06 at 4:01 pm

Only if Dolph Lundgen is in it. I've always wondered what happened to Ivan Drago after Rocky defeated him despite overwhelming odds (and, in doing so, won the hearts and minds of the Soviet people and even inspired Mikhail Gorbachev to begin the policies of glasnost and perestroika, which ultimately led to the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and the breakup of the Soviet Union. Remember? "If I can change, and you can change...then EVERYONE can change!")
    After his bout against Rocky, did the KGB take Drago out behind the arena and put a bullet in his head? Did they ship him off to some gulag in Siberia? Or is he alive and well and working at some steel mill in Minsk?
    Al wants to know.

He defected to the USA with Baryshnikov and Ah-nuld's character from Red Heat :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/21/06 at 4:34 pm

Sports Guy speaketh

:D :D :D

Written By: Lifesunfair on 12/21/06 at 6:01 pm

we'll I'll go along with the small crowd and say I'm very exited to see this film. Infact I haven't been so exited to see a film in a long time.  I took out my Rocky collection the other day and I've made my way through the first 3 films.  I can't wait to see Rocky Balboa.  I'm so exited for this movie.  Hard to believe that Rocky was 1976 isn't it?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/21/06 at 8:52 pm

He defected to the USA with Baryshnikov and Ah-nuld's character from Red Heat :D

And Robin Williams from Moscow On The Hudson.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/21/06 at 9:08 pm

Eventually...

Right now, I am watching Rocky III.

"I don't hate Balboa, I pity the fool!"

The original "I pity the fool!"

Come on, you knew he was going to do "Rocky VI."  "Rocky V" was so disappointing AND such an abominable piece of cinematic rubbish, you KNEW Stallone wasn't going to let it end like that.  I'll see it somewhere by and by. 

But, um, who was the last 60-year-old heavyweight champ?
:D

Ironically, the next movie I plan to see in the theatre is in our local Cinemark's Friday Night Rewind series: "The Godfather."  Hey, I never got to see it on the big screen, and after 34 years it's still worth 8 bucks for admission.  Can't say the same for anything out today come 2041!

Written By: Lifesunfair on 12/21/06 at 11:30 pm

"I don't hate Balboa, I pity the fool!"

The original "I pity the fool!"

Come on, you knew he was going to do "Rocky VI."  "Rocky V" was so disappointing AND such an abominable piece of cinematic rubbish, you KNEW Stallone wasn't going to let it end like that.  I'll see it somewhere by and by. 

But, um, who was the last 60-year-old heavyweight champ?
:D

Ironically, the next movie I plan to see in the theatre is in our local Cinemark's Friday Night Rewind series: "The Godfather."  Hey, I never got to see it on the big screen, and after 34 years it's still worth 8 bucks for admission.  Can't say the same for anything out today come 2041!

Rocky V had a few good moments...ok 1...but George Foreman won the title at 45 didn't he? yeah I think he did.

Written By: Kryllith on 12/22/06 at 11:16 am

Al wants to know.

Actually he, as well as Mr. T, are both in Rocky Balboa. I've not seen the movie yet, but from what I understand they're both in a brief cameos towards the end of the movie, supposedly right before the final fight.

Having seen most, if not all, of the movies in theatres, I'll probably go see this one too. Course, I've been hit and miss about going to theatres this year, so I never can tell.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/24/06 at 3:58 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20061224/116699760000.html

Not bad, considering everything.  That Ben Stiller movie did a lot better than anyone expected. 

In other news, I couldn't sleep last night, so I saw BloodRayne and nearly died of boredom.  Jess woke me up at like 3 in the morning and apparently I had switched to ESPN by then.  Even with the sex scenes and Kristanna Loken's perky boobies I couldn't stay awake.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/06 at 5:00 pm

How about this for a Rocky VII plot line?

"Rocky enters the boxing ring with Paris Hilton and beats the cr@p outta her".

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/06 at 11:57 pm

How about this for a Rocky VII plot line?

"Rocky enters the boxing ring with Paris Hilton and beats the cr@p outta her".

;D

Then Mr. T pummels Don Trump! 
"He ain't so pretty no more!  I pity the fool!"
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...