inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is hip hop dead?

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 12/21/06 at 9:03 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2737981

Is hip hop dead?

Subject: Re: Is hip hop dead?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/22/06 at 12:45 am

I think there's another identical thread on here.

Anyway, I'd say it's not dead, but past its peak and becoming repetitive. It's probably at the point hair metal was around 1990 with the Warrants and Wingers. Some form of rap/hip hop will probably always exist, but the glammy, party rap will be dead by '09ish, I'd guess.

Then again, I'm not that knowledgeable or as much of a hip hop fan, so I could be wrong.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/22/06 at 3:53 am

^Yeah, I agree it's not dead yet, just past it's peak a bit. I'd say that it'll continue to go downhill in terms of popularity over the next 2 or 3 years.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/06 at 11:36 am

It's not dead, but it seems to be slowly fading away.  I know here in Canada, there's maybe 2% hip hop/rap in the mainstream.  The ony time I ever see rap/hip-hop is if I flip past BET, or when I watch "Last Call with Carson Daly" (usually he has those kinds of artists as his musical guest)

Written By: Brian06 on 12/22/06 at 4:09 pm

Hip-hop will last for decades, but the current state of a lot of hip-hop is a pretty dead, poor and unoriginal state. Hip-hop needs something new.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/06 at 4:32 pm

Hip-hop will last for decades, but the current state of a lot of hip-hop is a pretty dead, poor and unoriginal state. Hip-hop needs something new.

What about K-Fed?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/22/06 at 4:34 pm

What about K-Fed?

lol. He FLOPPED hard thank god. He's the last thing hip-hop needed.

Written By: whistledog on 12/22/06 at 4:36 pm

lol. He FLOPPED hard thank god. He's the last thing hip-hop needed.

According to Britney, he was floppin' hard alright ;D

Did you see Carson Daly last night?  He did a bit where he went shopping at the 99 cent store, and stumbled across a copy of K-Fed's CD ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 12/22/06 at 4:36 pm

Did you see Carson Daly last night?  He did a bit where he went shopping at the 99 cent store, and stumbled across a copy of K-Fed's CD ;D

LMAO.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/23/06 at 12:07 am

You mean, they offered to give him 99 cents to take it away? ;D

Written By: tnf on 12/26/06 at 8:58 am

There's some good music, but the bad ones are dominating here, in the Netherlands. There's also a lot of horrible Dutch spoken crap, here.  :\'( But If I hear tracks like 'Don't feel right' by the Roots (a quite new track), I'm happy.

Check for new replies or respond here...