inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Highlights of 2006

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/28/06 at 11:08 am

Here is my list of all the highlights of 2006:

News: Dick Cheney's hunting accident, the cartoon that angered Muslims, N. Korea's missles, the immigration debate, the Mark Foley scandal.

Sports: Winter Olympics in Torino, World Baseball Classic, World Cup (with Zidane's headbutting incident), Steelers winning the Superbowl, St. Louis Cardinals winning the World Series.

Pop culture news: Tomkat's baby, Brangelina's baby, Britney and K-Fed's divorce, Britney and Lindsay Lohan's revealing pics, Mel Gibson's DUI.

Fads/trends: PS3 and Nintendo Wii, crocs, ugly retro 80's clothes (esp. leggings), Sudoku puzzles, MySpace's continuing increase in popularity

Music: Daniel Powter, James Blunt, Natasha Bedingfield, Nelly Fertado, Fergie, Cassie, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Paris Hilton, K-Fed

Movies: POTC 2, Borat, Cars, Talladega Nights, X3, Superman Returns, Da Vinci Code, Happy Feet

TV: Heroes

Subject: Re: Highlights of 2006

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/06 at 12:31 pm

Highlights of '06 in Canada ...

MUSIC

- "When the Night Feels My Song" by Bedouin Soundclash is the most successful Canadian song of 2006 spending a little over a year in the Top 100 chart

- "Ever the Same" by Rob Thomas hangs in the Top 100 chart for nearly a year

- KT Tunstall scores a pair of Top 40 hits with "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and "Suddenly I See"

- "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt hangs in the Top 100 for nearly a year, spending a large portion in the Top 40.  It ran in the Top 20 consecutively with the follow-up Top 10 single "Wisemen" and was still in the Top 60 while both "High" and Goodbye My Lover" made minor chart appearances

- "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley spends 7 weeks at #1

- Daniel Powter scores a trio of Top 40 hits with "Bad Day", "Jimmy Gets High" and "Love You Lately"; "Free Loop" also makes a modest chart appearance

- Barenaked Ladies return to the Top 40 with "Easy"

- Scissor Sisters score a massive Top 10 hit with "I Don't Feel Like Dancin"

- The Saints Are Coming", a charity single for the victims of Katrina as recorded by U2 and Green Day enters the Top 40 in it's third week on the chart

- "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band-Aid 20 re-enters the Singles chart

- INXS follow-up their 2005 comeback hit "Pretty Vegas" with two more Top 40 singles "Afterglow" and "Devil's Party"

MOTION PICTURE

- "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" surpasses the 1981 film "Porkys" to become the highest grossing Canadian film of all time, raking in over 14 million in Quebec alone.  Starring Colm Feore, it's the story of a francophone detective and an anglophone detective who team up to solve the murder of a man found drapped across the Ontario/Quebec border

Written By: Brian06 on 12/28/06 at 12:34 pm

Here is my list of all the highlights of 2006:

News: Dick Cheney's hunting accident, the cartoon that angered Muslims, N. Korea's missles, the immigration debate, the Mark Foley scandal.

Sports: Winter Olympics in Torino, World Baseball Classic, World Cup (with Zidane's headbutting incident), Steelers winning the Superbowl, St. Louis Cardinals winning the World Series.

Pop culture news: Tomkat's baby, Brangelina's baby, Britney and K-Fed's divorce, Britney and Lindsay Lohan's revealing pics, Mel Gibson's DUI.

Fads/trends: PS3 and Nintendo Wii, crocs, ugly retro 80's clothes (esp. leggings), Sudoku puzzles, MySpace's continuing increase in popularity

Music: Daniel Powter, James Blunt, Natasha Bedingfield, Nelly Fertado, Fergie, Cassie, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Paris Hilton, K-Fed

Movies: POTC 2, Borat, Cars, Talladega Nights, X3, Superman Returns, Da Vinci Code, Happy Feet

TV: Heroes

K-Fed flopped and nobody cares about him, his songs were no where near the charts thankfully. Paris flopped too, but even she had somewhat of a hit song. Conclusion: K-Fed was finished before he even started.

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/06 at 12:35 pm

K-Fed flopped and nobody cares about him, his songs were no where near the charts thankfully. Paris flopped too, but even she had somewhat of a hit song. Conclusion: K-Fed was finished before he even started.

Carson Daly did a bit on his talk show where he went shopping for Christmas gifts at the 99 cent store, and in one of the CD bins, he found a copy of K-Fed's CD ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 12/28/06 at 12:36 pm

Highlights of '06 in Canada ...

MUSIC

- "Ever the Same" by Rob Thomas hangs in the Top 100 chart for nearly a year

I love "Ever The Same".

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/28/06 at 12:39 pm

Carson Daly did a bit on his talk show where he went shopping for Christmas gifts at the 99 cent store, and in one of the CD bins, he found a copy of K-Fed's CD ;D

I still wouldn't have bought it! I also forgot to mention "Ugly Betty" which is another popular show this year.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/28/06 at 12:40 pm

I still wouldn't have bought it! I also forgot to mention "Ugly Betty" which is another popular show this year.

I can't even believe it sold 6,000 or whatever, even that is too much. Maybe Kevin bought 6,000 copies for himself.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/28/06 at 3:24 pm

I can't even believe it sold 6,000 or whatever, even that is too much. Maybe Kevin bought 6,000 copies for himself.

Actually, it's sold close to 8,000 I think, and yeah, that is way too much ;D

Written By: Brian06 on 12/28/06 at 3:24 pm

Actually, it's sold close to 8,000 I think, and yeah, that is way too much ;D

anything above 0 is too much.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/06 at 3:32 pm

Midterm elections.

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/28/06 at 3:37 pm

anything above 0 is too much.

That's true ;D

Written By: Stompgal on 12/29/06 at 12:10 pm

News
Healthier meals are introduced to UK schools, thanks to Jamie Oliver.
Gwen Stefani gives birth to her first son Kingston in May 2006.
The decision to ban smoking in public places next year gets the go-ahead.
Cheryl from Girls Aloud marries footballer Ashley Cole in July.
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes welcome baby Suri and they marry in a Scientologist ceremony in November.
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie welcome baby Shiloh Nouvel in May.
Madonna adopts a baby from Africa.

Films
Cars
Happy Feet
Flushed Away
The Holiday
Little Man
You, Me and Dupree
Ice Age 2
Garfield 2
Over the Hedge
The Ant Bully
Barnyard
Open Season
Just My Luck
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Nacho Libre
Borat
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Hoodwinked
The Pink Panther
Chicken Little
She's The Man
Starter for 10
Step Up

TV
Girls Aloud:Off the Record
Honey We're Killing the Kids
The Simpsons - Homer Simpson, This is Your Wife. Ricky Gervais is talented.

Music
Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing
Gwen Stefani - Wind It Up
Lily Allen - Smile, The Littlest Things, LDN
McFly - Star Girl
The Kooks - Naive, She Moves In Her Own Way, Ooh La
Girls Aloud - Whole Lotta History, Something Kinda Ooh, I Think We're Alone Now

Check for new replies or respond here...