inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dr. James Brown's home going service

Written By: Zoso on 12/30/06 at 11:00 pm

Michael Jackson says Goodbye to The Godfather of Soul
http://www.mjjforum.com/main/content/view/3077/2/

http://www.mjjforum.com/main/images/stories/mjbyejames.jpg

AUGUSTA, Ga. (MJJForum.com) - Michael Jackson, making a rare public appearance in the United States, said goodbye to the legendary Godfather of Soul, Dr. James Brown on Saturday. Michael Jackson, along with civil rights leaders, entertainers, and fans attended the Home-Going Celebration held at The James Brown Arena in Augusta, Georgia. Dr. James Brown's music and message embodied a generation of revolutionary change for black Americans.

Michael Jackson entered the funeral to a thunderous applause as James Brown's band, The Soul Generals and Bittersweet performed Mr. Brown's hits to a crowd of 9,000.

In his third costume change in three days, The "Godfather of Soul," was dressed in a black suit and gloves with a ruby red shirt. Jewels sparkled on his lapels and at the tips of his shoes. His body laid in an open-topped 24 Karat gold coffin in front of the stage.

In a rousing eulogy/tribute to James Brown, civil rights leader Rev. Al Sharpton spoke of his last conversation with James, which included a discussion about Michael Jackson.

"James said to me ... 'I love Michael.' He said, 'Tell him do not worry about coming home. They always scandalize those that have the talent. But tell him we need to clean up the music and I want Michael to come back and lift the music back."'

"I do not care what the media says tonight, James Brown wanted Michael Jackson with him here today," Sharpton said in a booming voice. Sharpton then invited Michael Jackson onstage where Michael gave a brief speech.

"James Brown is my greatest inspiration." Jackson said, telling the crowd how his mother would wake him up at night so he could watch Brown on television.

"Ever since I was a small child, no more than 6 years old, my mother would wake me no matter what time, even if I were sleeping, no matter what I was doing, to go watch the master at work." Jackson said. "And when I saw him move I was mesmerized!"

"I've never seen a performer perform like James Brown and I knew right then and there that, that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life," he said.

Throughout the ceremony, Michael comforted James Brown's family, friends, and loved ones and they comforted him as well.

He had 119 hits including "Please, Please, Please," "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," "It's a Man's World," "Living in America," and Brown became a living embodiment of black pride with "Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)."

Dr. James Brown (Who received his doctorate during the funeral) performed more than 100 live shows this year and he was due to perform on New Year's Eve in New York's Times Square.

Source: Reuters/MJJForum.com

http://www.michael-jackson-art-and-work.com/use/jb-funeral.jpg

I just thought this was interesting because I never knew of the connection between JB and MJ, but it must've been a strong one because JB's last toughts were of Michael Jackson and bringing good music back. I think this whole thing will have a huge affect on Michael Jackson. First having his idol, mentor and father-figure pass away, and then hearing what JB said about him before his death. I think it will really encourage MJ to pull his finger out and make good music because it was JB's dying wish that he do so.

If you had the chance to see Al Sharpton's or Michael Jackson's speeched, you will know how touchind and moving they were. Beautiful home going.

Subject: Re: Dr. James Brown's home going service

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/31/06 at 1:39 pm

I just thought this was interesting because I never knew of the connection between JB and MJ, but it must've been a strong one because JB's last toughts were of Michael Jackson and bringing good music back. I think this whole thing will have a huge affect on Michael Jackson. First having his idol, mentor and father-figure pass away, and then hearing what JB said about him before his death. I think it will really encourage MJ to pull his finger out and make good music because it was JB's dying wish that he do so.

If you had the chance to see Al Sharpton's or Michael Jackson's speeched, you will know how touchind and moving they were. Beautiful home going.

That's interesting, I didn't know of their connection myself either.

I have to wonder if --- with a combination of the music industry not being as "veteran friendly" as well as the stuff MJ's been through in the last decade (in the '80s, he was sort of a cute weird, but still semi normal) --- any of his music would still sell that well today. I'm sure it'd be compared to Thriller and Bad (and even that was compared to Thriller itself). ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/06 at 6:12 pm

JB got his Ph.D. after he was dead? ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/31/06 at 6:50 pm

Sure..... Doctor of Funkology!  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/06 at 8:08 pm

God's gonna smite me for this--and I'll deserve it--but I can't resist:

Papa's got a brand new bag!
http://www.usabodybags.com/images/bags.jpg

(Get out the toothpicks, Maxwell, better sleep with one eye opened!)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Written By: Zoso on 01/01/07 at 2:44 am

God's gonna smite me for this--and I'll deserve it--but I can't resist:

Papa's got a brand new bag!

I must admit, that was a little funny. Even the godfather himself would chuckle at that.

Check for new replies or respond here...