inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2007 Predictions

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/01/07 at 12:40 pm

Ok folks, it is that time again for us to give our predictions for new year.

Here are mine:

-I ALWAYS have to start off with saying that the Mets are going to win the World Series (yeah, it is my hope every year but who knows, this just may be the year-they did great last year).

-Bush & Co. will be investigated and (hopefully) be impeached and we will have the first woman president-Nancy Pelosi.

-The troops will come home from Iraq.

-More scandals from Washington will come to light only this time they will not be swept under the carpet.

-A scandal involving Bill O'Reilly & Sean Hannity.

-Michael Jackson will make headlines again (only because it has been awhile since he has).

-Carlos Santanta will come out with a new album.

I may come up with others later.

What are your predictions?

Cat

Subject: Re: 2007 Predictions

Written By: velvetoneo on 01/01/07 at 12:43 pm

Beginning of a worldwide economic depression.

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/07 at 1:16 pm

- Stephen Harper will lower the GST again (hey, I can always dream right? LOL)

- "Rambo IV" will be a box-office smash

- "Rocky Balboa" will get an Oscar Nomination (you never know)

- A Britney Spears comeback album will be a world-wide disappointment

- Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton will become lesbian lovers (once again, I can always dream right? LOL)

- Survivor gets cancelled when viewers finally realize that 15 seasons is way too long

Written By: Brian06 on 01/01/07 at 1:18 pm

Jibbs is gone forever.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 01/01/07 at 2:05 pm

- one of the girls from the slutty bunch(lindsey,britney,paris ) will die from a drug overdose

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/07 at 2:07 pm

Dance-pop's popularity will continue to grow and take over the charts; POTC 3, Harry Potter 5, Transformers, and Spiderman 3 will storm the summer box office, crime will continue to rise in the U.S., gas prices will be slightly lower, but the economy will be stagnant due to the housing slump. Otherwise, I don't think it will be too much different from 2006.

Written By: La Roche on 01/01/07 at 2:22 pm

-Bush & Co. will be investigated and (hopefully) be impeached and we will have the first woman president-Nancy Pelosi.

I dare say if she even got close she'd mysteriously disapear.  :-X

- The National League will finally win the All Star Game.

- Roger Clemens will sign with the Yankees and move in to 5th place for the all time highest number of wins.

- Toyota will release a commercialy viable vehicle that can cruise at 70MPH on electricity.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/01/07 at 2:25 pm

The Chicago Bears will lose in their first playoff game because Rex Grossman likes to throw to the other team.  Rex will get an all-expenses paid trip to meet Jimmy Hoffa.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/01/07 at 4:19 pm

The Chicago Bears will lose in their first playoff game because Rex Grossman likes to throw to the other team.  Rex will get an all-expenses paid trip to meet Jimmy Hoffa.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lovie Smith better have Griese ready to go.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/01/07 at 4:20 pm

Griese threw 2 INTs.  But I think that's rust.  The punter threw better than both of them yesterday.

Written By: La Roche on 01/01/07 at 4:24 pm

- The Cubs will add another $50,000,000 to their already huge payroll and be forced to pay a high % luxary tax... and still have a losing record.

Written By: Tam on 01/01/07 at 4:40 pm

- The Ravens will win the Super Bowl!

- The Nationals will storm through this season and secure a spot in the World Series

- The Montreal Canadians will make it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/01/07 at 4:42 pm

- The Ravens will win the Super Bowl!

Very likely, but I think the Chargers and the Saints may have something to say about that.

- The Nationals will storm through this season and secure a spot in the World Series

Well, it's entirely possible ;)

- The Montreal Canadians will make it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs

Also likely.  I enjoy watching the Canadian teams in the playoffs, they play not just for a city but for an entire nation.

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/07 at 4:47 pm

Jibbs is gone forever.

He's pretty much just starting out.  I bet that 10 years from now, he will he on his 8th album and 20 something hit single  :\'(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/02/07 at 1:14 am

Jibbs is gone forever.

One hit wonder? One can only hope ;D

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/02/07 at 7:16 pm

I'm not really a big sports buff, so I'm gonna refrain from making any such predictions.  I'll stick to the more critical political and world relations theatres, with some speculation on the direction of the entertainment industry. 

POLITICS:

-For the 2008 election, John McCain will continue to be the front-runner for the Republicans while Barack Obama takes the attention away from Hillary for the Democratic nomination. 

-Jack Abramoff will continue to rot in prison as K Street continues to search for Democratic business.

-Bush's popularity will continue to gradually decline, but congressional Democrats will avoid introducing impeachment resolutions when they realize how much worse the situation would become with President D!ck Cheney in office. 

GLOBAL STAGE: 

-Al-Qaeda will attempt a plot to follow up 9/11 with a more destructive strike on U.S. soil, probably involving nuclear weaponry, and they will either pull it off or get caught red-handed. 

-Either Osama bin Laden or Ayman al-Zawahiri, but not both, will be captured by Pakistani forces or killed in a U.S. airstrike. 

-Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will continue to taunt Israel and the West, accompanied by Kim-Jong Il who will conduct follow-up nuke tests, and it will become glaringly obvious by the time 2008 rolls around that World War III is looming, and that the U.S. and other Western nations are under nuclear threat. 

-In Russia, civil strife will be on the uprising as the citizenry becomes increasingly discontent with the policies of Vladimir Putin, and there will be more deaths of government critics and ex-KGB officers.

-The genocide in Darfur will finally diminish under increasing pressure from the United Nations and the United States.

MUSIC

-Some established rap artists (i.e. P. Diddy, Eminem) will remain popular, but few new artists will break through and rap will continue to slide on the charts. 

-A "pop princess" will die, either from a drug overdose or a car accident. 

-By the end of the year, a creative new music genre will begin to assert itself on radio and TV, and on the Billboard charts. 

-There will be a resurgence of interest in the "classic rock" sound amongst the youth, and this will become apparent even on MTV and VH1. 

This is what I foresee for these areas for 2007.  More predictions coming soon. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/07 at 6:24 pm

I don't stand to making predictions, but a famous band from the late 70s and early 80s will reform close to me.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/05/07 at 6:36 pm

I predict that in 2007, 80's styles will be out and early 90's styles will be in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/07 at 10:56 pm

I'd put my money on...on...on some bad stuff happening at some point or...something.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: tv on 01/06/07 at 1:22 am

I think "Smooth R&B" may make a comeback this year. I think everybody is tired of that Macho-man s** rap music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/06/07 at 2:40 am

A royal engagement will be announced this year in the UK

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/06/07 at 6:48 pm

At least for the next several months, "Wind It Up" by Gwen Stefani will continue to be played along with some other cuts from her new CD.

Written By: Zoso on 01/08/07 at 5:04 am

-Michael Jackson will make headlines again (only because it has been awhile since he has).

I don't think he'll make headlines in a bad way. If he does it'll be in a good way, like for breaking another music record. Because I think he's very much redeemed himself by proving himself not guilty of child molestation and staying out of the headlines for a long time. He's become somewhat more respectable in my eyes. He's fixed up his face in the last few years, and it has stayed that way for a while (since 2005... well that's a long time for Michael Jackson). Hopefully this means he's stopped with the plastic surgery. He hasn't been involved with children since his acquittal. No matter how innocent his intentions with children may have been, it did cast a negative light over him and thank God he has stopped involving himself with children. He seems to have gotten back to work, which is what everyone wants to see. He should stay in the studio, and away from controversy and eccentricities. The only time I want to see Michael Jackson's name from now on is on a music chart. I am so glad that Michael Jackson has ditched his old way and become a better more respectable person. He's gained a lot of respect from me, and I don't see him losing that respect if he stays in the studio and away from anything that could cause negative headlines. He's no longer "Wacko Jacko". He's merely Michael Jackson, and that's the way it should and hopefully will stay from now on.

Written By: Zoso on 01/08/07 at 5:15 am

I think "Smooth R&B" may make a comeback this year. I think everybody is tired of that Macho-man s** rap music.

Al Sharpton said something very interesting about James Brown during his funeral. He said in his very last conversation with James Brown, Brown said he was sick and tired of modern music. He said he used to sing people up, and now everybody's singing people down. He said his music had lyrics like "I'm blck and I'm proud" and today's lryics are all about calling people bitches, hoes and niggas. He wondered where it all went wrong and why ghetto life, gang wars, death, prostitutes and drugs were now the most important themes in modern music. Back in his day, every second song had the word "love" in the title. People were singing lyrics like "all we are saying is give peace a chance", "I'm black and I'm proud" etc. The most negative thing anyone ever used to sing about was heartache, and perhaps war. But it was more about bringing our troops out of war, not about how you're going to "bust a cap" in someone is to fudge with your "bitches". I really hope what James Brown was on about takes a turn in 2007. I'd like to see more songs about love, peace and dancing. What happened to "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Let's Get It On", "Shake Your Body"? Those are the titles I want to see when I look at the week's top 40 singles. Bring good music back, for heaven's sake.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/07 at 10:28 am

I predict that in 2007, 80's styles will be out and early 90's styles will be in.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I think it's way too soon for the '80s revival to die out, especially because they haven't really had the chance to have the full-steam, longtime comebacks that the '50s, '60s and '70s all did. Other than some synth-inspired music and certain fashions, as well as more people freely admitting to being '80s fans, the decade hasn't had its chance to come back the way the '70s did in the '90s.

However, I do agree that some elements of '90s nostalgia could pick up. After all, the very earliest '80s nostalgia started coming up in the late '90s, around 1997/'98 with movies like The Wedding Singer. I see it being closer to 2013 or 2015 before the '90s styles really revive.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/10/07 at 10:37 am

Al Sharpton said something very interesting about James Brown during his funeral. He said in his very last conversation with James Brown, Brown said he was sick and tired of modern music. He said he used to sing people up, and now everybody's singing people down. He said his music had lyrics like "I'm blck and I'm proud" and today's lryics are all about calling people bitches, hoes and niggas. He wondered where it all went wrong and why ghetto life, gang wars, death, prostitutes and drugs were now the most important themes in modern music. Back in his day, every second song had the word "love" in the title. People were singing lyrics like "all we are saying is give peace a chance", "I'm black and I'm proud" etc. The most negative thing anyone ever used to sing about was heartache, and perhaps war. But it was more about bringing our troops out of war, not about how you're going to "bust a cap" in someone is to fudge with your "bitches". I really hope what James Brown was on about takes a turn in 2007. I'd like to see more songs about love, peace and dancing. What happened to "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "Let's Get It On", "Shake Your Body"? Those are the titles I want to see when I look at the week's top 40 singles. Bring good music back, for heaven's sake.

That makes sense. After hearing about one of Brown's last conversations was with Michael Jackson and how he wanted him to "save music", I do wonder about that. However, I think it's at best a 50/50 shot as to whether or not his next album will make that much of an impact.

Aside from the fact that '00s pop culture is so kid/young teen-dominated (with MJ pushing 50 now), for better or worse, Michael's image is already set in stone to alot of people. Even if he isn't guilty of what he's been accused of, it's still the idea that he could have done it, that forever changed his status to alot of people. When Thriller and Bad came out, that wasn't yet a factor. Plus, his last album (Invincible) was considered a disappointment by almost every review I've read. So just on a musical level, his streak is running lower. Everything he touches won't turn to gold like it did in the 1983-1992 period.

All that being said though, I do think it would be nice if the guy could have a successful second run. Even if he's weird, he is likable is his own way and it's hard to deny he's done some classic songs.

Written By: tv on 01/10/07 at 12:13 pm

Aside from the fact that '00s pop culture is so kid/young teen-dominated (with MJ pushing 50 now), for better or worse, Michael's image is already set in stone to alot of people. Even if he isn't guilty of what he's been accused of, it's still the idea that he could have done it, that forever changed his status to alot of people. When Thriller and Bad came out, that wasn't yet a factor. Plus, his last album (Invincible) was considered a disappointment by almost every review I've read. So just on a musical level, his streak is running lower. Everything he touches won't turn to gold like it did in the 1983-1992 period.

All that being said though, I do think it would be nice if the guy could have a successful second run. Even if he's weird, he is likable is his own way and it's hard to deny he's done some classic songs.
Yeah I know MJ's last album flopped but people forget but his single off of "Ivnvicible" did do pretty well in 2001 peaking at #14 I think on the Billboard Hot 100 despite not being a Top 40 radio single and with no music video for the single. Even with that said I don;t think MJ's just to much of a joke in the media to make an effective comeback right now and myself I don;t like his image right now.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/10/07 at 5:22 pm

Personally, I feel the well-being of society does not depend on that of Wacko Jacko.  How does everyone think the war on terror, Iraq, domestic social concerns, and the 2008 presidential campaign will fare in 2007? 

Frankly, I'm becoming frustrated with our inability to find bin Laden and al-Zawahiri.  I realize that other terrorists may "ascend to the throne" of al-Qaeda, and that we have domestic issues to deal with, but regardless of your opinion on the current military campaign these are guilty men who deserve to face justice.  No one should be permitted to murder 3000 innocents and escape scott-free.

Honest to goodness, where do you believe bin Laden and al-Zawahiri are hiding, and do you believe this will be the year for justice?  My guess would be that bin Laden is living with a handful of associates and family members in the mountains along the Afghan-Pakistan border and that al-Zawahiri is in a western Pakistani city.     

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 5:29 pm

"Darling Wllls" and Miss Katie perhaps? :)  I could see that.

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/12/07 at 8:40 pm

Sorry to have to say it, but I'm growing rather disenfranchised with the ignorance of some on this forum.  I'd appreciate a little reciprocity once in a while.  Perhaps I have appeared a bit too forceful in the past, but I do hold some strong feelings on certain issues and this forum provides an opportunity to broadcast them. 

You are not the enemy.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 8:49 pm

-For the 2008 election, John McCain will continue to be the front-runner for the Republicans while Barack Obama takes the attention away from Hillary for the Democratic nomination. 

I hope you're right here. It would be funny if Hillary got the nomination. McCain would be President for sure. I've always had his back for the past few years... but I think he's going all Reagan on us (senile). I'm diggin Obama, I've done my research on the guy, seen how he votes and what his ideas are. Jeez.. could it be that I!!! vote Democrat in '08?!?!?!  :o

Written By: JFK-2004 on 01/12/07 at 9:03 pm

I hope you're right here. It would be funny if Hillary got the nomination. McCain would be President for sure. I've always had his back for the past few years... but I think he's going all Reagan on us (senile). I'm diggin Obama, I've done my research on the guy, seen how he votes and what his ideas are. Jeez.. could it be that I!!! vote Democrat in '08?!?!?!  :o

Hmm, and wouldn't it be ironic if Osama goes down under Obama?  Peculiar how two names can be so similar and yet their bearers so different, heh.

Written By: La Roche on 01/12/07 at 9:06 pm

Hmm, and wouldn't it be ironic if Osama goes down under Obama?  Peculiar how two names can be so similar and yet their bearers so different, heh.

More chance of him being caught after this administration. "He ain't hiding in Baghdad fellas!"

Written By: Brian06 on 01/12/07 at 10:18 pm

Lil Jon's new album flops, God I hope it does.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/13/07 at 9:13 pm

The OC is going to be cancelled. No wait, that's already been announced. This could be a sign of 2007 having a cultural shift.

Written By: tv on 01/14/07 at 2:34 pm

The OC is going to be cancelled. No wait, that's already been announced. This could be a sign of 2007 having a cultural shift.
I think there will be small cultural shift but not not much for 2007. I mean 1997 had a little cultural shift with the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and Hanson but the cultural shift towards teen-pop wasn;t complete until 1999 when Britney Spears became popular. I want to stay away from decadeology as much as I can because I know they don;t allow that on these boards anymore.

Written By: rich1981 on 01/14/07 at 2:48 pm

I will turn 26!

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/07 at 9:55 pm

I bet viewer write-ins will force FOX to revive the show.  I think they are cancelling it too early

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/07 at 1:26 am

I don't stand to making predictions, but a famous band from the late 70s and early 80s will reform close to me.

As predicted:

The Police are to reunite and perform at the Grammy Awards next month - more than 20 years after the release of their last album.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/07 at 1:39 am

As predicted:

The Police are to reunite and perform at the Grammy Awards next month - more than 20 years after the release of their last album.

Last night Police preformed at The Grammys and will be announcing a world tour soon.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/07 at 11:32 am

Time to bump this thread up so everyone can see how they did on their predictions.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/07 at 1:09 pm

I'm not really a big sports buff, so I'm gonna refrain from making any such predictions.  I'll stick to the more critical political and world relations theatres, with some speculation on the direction of the entertainment industry. 

POLITICS:

-Jack Abramoff will continue to rot in prison as K Street continues to search for Democratic business.

-Bush's popularity will continue to gradually decline, but congressional Democrats will avoid introducing impeachment resolutions when they realize how much worse the situation would become with President D!ck Cheney in office. 

Wowee, this is pretty much spot on

Written By: tv on 12/26/07 at 1:35 pm

I think there will be small cultural shift but not not much for 2007. I mean 1997 had a little cultural shift with the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and Hanson but the cultural shift towards teen-pop wasn;t complete until 1999 when Britney Spears became popular. I want to stay away from decadeology as much as I can because I know they don;t allow that on these boards anymore.
Well I was right I think there was a small cultural shift but not a huge one. A teen idol like Hannah Montana(a.k.a. Miley Cyrus) blew up in popularity big time this year towards the end of the year anyway so the Generation Zers are starting to get into popular music. Hannah Montana is probably the first Generation Z teen idol singer/performer wise to blow up huge in popularity.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/27/07 at 9:20 pm

Well I was right I think there was a small cultural shift but not a huge one. A teen idol like Hannah Montana(a.k.a. Miley Cyrus) blew up in popularity big time this year towards the end of the year anyway so the Generation Zers are starting to get into popular music. Hannah Montana is probably the first Generation Z teen idol singer/performer wise to blow up huge in popularity.

That's true about Hannah Montana probably. Although I agree that it's just a minor shift. I don't see much changing until Bush gets out of office. There'll probably be some small stuff in 2009 that might take off in full strength around 2011/'12.

Musically, I think things will stay pretty much the same until then, although glam rap will gradually lose popularity as will other early-mid '00s icons.

Written By: saver on 12/27/07 at 9:53 pm

Well, that didn't seem too impressive...so for 2008(unless another thread opens for it)..I predict (which I try to hold off naming but...)I think Ed McMahon may not see it to the end.

Strange when this came to me a few nights ago, five minutes later he was on a radio show to say hello....and of course, I took it as a sign....how he was on my mind then appeared.

If this comes true during the year I will reveal another prediction that had come through as well(not death), that I can keep in my accuracy file...

Hang in there Ed, but just a feeling.

There is a radio show that takes predictions and I off by a week when in Dec. I predicted a celebrity would have an accident involving a tree, , however we had a week to go before the year started and that prediction played out as the Indonesian hurricane occured and the news from it was of the SPORTS IL. model who was found clinging to a tree while her boyfriend lost his life. I was a week ahead with it.

We shall see...2008...   

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/27/07 at 10:12 pm

Here's mine....

-Dick Cheney will suffer from another heart attack (And probably be replaced by Pelosi.)

-The RNC (Or DNC) may have a big riot like what happened 40 years ago.

-Dave Chappelle will be doing something new.

-Cleveland will not...I repeat...WILL NOT win a Championship in professional sports.

-There will be a new Beatles album.

-Britney Spears will be mocked.

-The WGA will still be on strike.

-The U.S.A. will win the Beijing Olympics (And someone may protest about the war as well.)

-The Simpsons will be on for another season (AS well as South Park and Family Guy)

-Barack Obama will either be President...or something may happen to him besides defeat.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 9:03 am

Yes, The Police did reform and play concerts around the world.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/08 at 9:07 am

I am not sure when the engagment was announced but we are expecting a royal wedding this year. Peter Phillips (11th in line to the throne, only son of The Princess Anne, The Princess Royal and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips) is set to marry Autumn Kelly.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/08 at 9:14 am

Ok folks, it is that time again for us to give our predictions for new year.

Here are mine:

-I ALWAYS have to start off with saying that the Mets are going to win the World Series (yeah, it is my hope every year but who knows, this just may be the year-they did great last year).

-The troops will come home from Iraq.

-More scandals from Washington will come to light only this time they will not be swept under the carpet.

-A scandal involving Bill O'Reilly & Sean Hannity.

-Carlos Santanta will come out with a new album.

I may come up with others later.

What are your predictions?

Cat

1-Nope, the Mets won't be going anywhere. Neither will Cleveland.

2-Don't hold your breath, besides John Tyler was threatened by Impeachment during his time.

3-We're sending in more and I'm getting bored with this war too.

4-Kucinich tried that and he's not getting anywhere.

5-Haven't heard anything yet.

6-You're right about that one.

7-Hasn't happened.

At least one can dream and have opinions. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...