inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bratz: Cool or Crap?

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/03/07 at 6:08 am

He're a proof that Bratz is just a piece of marketing bull crap...

On Christmas Day 2006, Miami resident Kristina Acre received the Jade Singing Bratz doll as a gift from Santa Claus. According to her father, Luis Acre, Kristina made him aware of that the doll was saying "lots of bad words". According to Luis Acre these include "the f- and b-words."

In response the allegations, MGA Entertainment responded saying, "he lyrics in question do NOT contain profanity and have been used thousands of times over on TV, Radio, and in many other Bratz Big Babyz products sold over the past few months."

Although, according to the CBS affiliate who ran the story, "the similarities to these obscenities were clear enough that we opted to bleep out what the doll was saying."

Here's another quote...

On December 21st, 2006, the National Labor Committee announced that the factory workers in China, who make Bratz dolls, have a very tiring experience. Each worker labors for 94

Subject: Re: Bratz: Cool or Crap?

Written By: Marian on 01/03/07 at 3:52 pm

This reminds me of the woman who was selling talking"little mermaid' dolls over the internet.She claimed one of them said"you s l u t",which her toddler now repeats.The article in the Mercury news gave her a lot of free advertising.The truth is in talking dolls,the voice box is small enough to distort sounds,compuunded when kids jerk on the string.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/07 at 4:10 pm

Crap.  Definitely crap.  I wouldn't ban them though.  You start banning "crap," where does it end?
:o

Written By: Brian06 on 01/03/07 at 4:11 pm

crap, but no way would I ban them, it's a stupid doll.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 4:58 pm

I find them proportionally disgusting. I would never buy them for my daughter - I swear I wouldn't. She'd have more class than that anyway

Written By: danootaandme on 01/03/07 at 5:00 pm

Barbie, Bratz, Talking Tina... who realy cares?

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/03/07 at 5:09 pm

I find them proportionally disgusting. I would never buy them for my daughter - I swear I wouldn't. She'd have more class than that anyway

It's all in how you raise your children, not the dolls they play with.  My daughter is 6, she has Barbies, My Scene Barbies (which are almst like Bratz) and Bratz, American girl and others.  My daughter plays with them but doesn't want to look like them.  She doesn't dress like them either, and she won't because I buy the clothes. 

Oh yeah I forgot...They're crap.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/03/07 at 5:11 pm

They're crap, but they're just dolls.  If you raise your kids right, as Carol pointed out, they won't dress like them or try and emulate them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 5:21 pm

It's all in how you raise your children, not the dolls they play with.  My daughter is 6, she has Barbies, My Scene Barbies (which are almst like Bratz) and Bratz, American girl and others.  My daughter plays with them but doesn't want to look like them.  She doesn't dress like them either, and she won't because I buy the clothes. 

Oh yeah I forgot...They're crap.

You're very right. I guess whenever I look at them, they kinda gross me out. I would understand if my daughter wanted one, but I guess seeing myself play with a doll like that when I was 5 or 6, it would just gross me out. I suppose it's possibly a generation thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/07 at 6:09 pm

Barbie, Bratz, Talking Tina... who realy cares?

I'm Talking Tina, you better be nice to me!

You're very right. I guess whenever I look at them, they kinda gross me out. I would understand if my daughter wanted one, but I guess seeing myself play with a doll like that when I was 5 or 6, it would just gross me out. I suppose it's possibly a generation thing.

Gross, along with the accessory cat, tail high in the air!
:P
My niece has some of those dolls.  I didn't know about the whole to-do before my niece got them.  They're part of junior skank culture.  But, as SM points out, it's the parenting that matters, not the toys.  Good luck, sis!
;D

Written By: nupur on 01/03/07 at 6:12 pm

i had about 10-15 barbies that i used to play with all the time when i was little, but all girls' dolls have changed in the past 15 years. i think the bratz dolls are junk. although i havent heard anything until now about the words in their songs, i do think that toy companies are making these new dolls (bratz, my scene, barbie, etc.) way to mature for the age group they are for. more over, they are just annoying. they all should be banned.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 6:22 pm

^ See, that's where I'm conflicted with these things. I guess being a bit of a traditionalist, I would rather have my daughter/niece play with the regular style Barbie (if they even still exist). And, I suppose because I am inclined to liking things that are more life-like, no matter how popular they were, even as a kid I would not demand one just for the popularity of it. I wasn't that way as a kid when I was younger. Unfortunately, there are a lot of kids that make these things popular and for goodness sake, I wish they hadn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/07 at 6:25 pm

i had about 10-15 barbies that i used to play with all the time when i was little, but all girls' dolls have changed in the past 15 years. i think the bratz dolls are junk. although i havent heard anything until now about the words in their songs, i do think that toy companies are making these new dolls (bratz, my scene, barbie, etc.) way to mature for the age group they are for. more over, they are just annoying. they all should be banned.

I wouldn't say "mature," I would say "skankily"!
But you gotta start 'em young on the sex stuff.  How do you expect your daughter to amount to anything if she can't catch a man?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Wait, don't shoot!  I was being facetious, I was being facetious...
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/comeandgetsome.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/07 at 6:31 pm

^ See, that's where I'm conflicted with these things. I guess being a bit of a traditionalist, I would rather have my daughter/niece play with the regular style Barbie (if they even still exist). And, I suppose because I am inclined to liking things that are more life-like, no matter how popular they were, even as a kid I would not demand one just for the popularity of it. I wasn't that way as a kid when I was younger. Unfortunately, there are a lot of kids that make these things popular and for goodness sake, I wish they hadn't.

If you had Barbie's body habitus, you'd need those Salvador Dali crutches to prop yourself up!
::)

I wonder...do little girls expect to look like Barbie when they grow up? Do women feel let down because they don't look like Barbie?  Is the message subconscious?  Or is it all piffle?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/03/07 at 6:34 pm

I had a ton of Barbies when I was growing up, and I don't recall ever wanting to look like that when I was older.  She had some nice clothes I wished I had, but that was as far as it went.  When I got older, I STILL didn't wish I looked like that.  I don't feel "let down" because I'm not some tall blonde with big tits.  My parents raised me right, raised me to love who I am and what I look like, not wish I looked like a plastic doll.

I think there are some girls who want to look that way and when they get older, go through plastic surgery to achieve the look, but I find those people to be severely f*cked up.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/03/07 at 6:39 pm

If you had Barbie's body habitus, you'd need those Salvador Dali crutches to prop yourself up!

I wonder...do little girls expect to look like Barbie when they grow up? Do women feel let down because they don't look like Barbie?  Is the message subconscious?  Or is it all piffle?

I am in no way saying I wanted Barbie's waistline; What I mean is that she didn't have a gigantic head with bulging eyes and Angelina Jolie beestung lips. Barbie had a different message back then than maybe what she is offering now. There was Doctor Barbie, Dentist Barbie, Airline Stewardess Barbie, Vet Barbie, etc.  Maybe it was all a fantasy, but I guess that was the fantasy I preferred to live in. We all have our different tastes, and if kids like Bratz dolls, so be it, but I wouldn't buy one or want one if I were a kid now or twenty years ago - I just plain don't like them!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/03/07 at 11:12 pm

Bratz are little whores...I swear!! Just kidding. But seriously.....I wouldn't let my child have them...they are just too...I don't know, trashy looking I suppose.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/07 at 11:44 pm

Definitely crap

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/07 at 1:34 am

Crap.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/07 at 12:44 pm

Bratz are little whores...I swear!! Just kidding. But seriously.....I wouldn't let my child have them...they are just too...I don't know, trashy looking I suppose.

I don't think "little whores" is off the mark at all. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/04/07 at 1:17 pm

I don't think "little whores" is off the mark at all. 

Yes, it's actually right off the mark - they're actually men in drag  ;D

Written By: Marian on 01/04/07 at 2:17 pm

I know.Why can't dolls have big noses,rather than big lips?Or big thighs?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/04/07 at 2:19 pm

I know.Why can't dolls have big noses,rather than big lips?Or big thighs?

Yeah, they are focusing on this certain look that only plastic surgeon's could create. What about the real women out there?  >:(  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/07 at 3:49 pm

Yes, it's actually right off the mark - they're actually men in drag  ;D

Oh yeah, I see now.  They do have that drag queen thing going!

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/04/07 at 4:00 pm

Actually I think My Scene Barbies are worse...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f4/79/e5887220eca068a8c3408010.L.jpg
(her bellybutton is pierced)

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EMJ9TC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38194470_.jpg

Bratz aren't nearly as bad, to me they're very cartoonish.  I guess some of the clothes are revealing, but none that I've gotten for my daughter.  Mostly the clothes reflect the trends in real fashions.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EPFEVG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38250058_.jpg

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FLA9C8.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51504364_.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/07 at 8:19 pm

Actually I think My Scene Barbies are worse...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/f4/79/e5887220eca068a8c3408010.L.jpg
(her bellybutton is pierced)

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EMJ9TC.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38194470_.jpg

Bratz aren't nearly as bad, to me they're very cartoonish.  I guess some of the clothes are revealing, but none that I've gotten for my daughter.  Mostly the clothes reflect the trends in real fashions.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EPFEVG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38250058_.jpg

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FLA9C8.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51504364_.jpg

oh gosh...you are right..I've never seen those particular Barbies....the old school Barbie is gonna roll over in her grave for that one! ;)   Trends like that make me glad that I have a boy! LOL! ;D :D

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 01/04/07 at 8:27 pm

Complete. Sh!t.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/07 at 8:29 pm

Complete. Sh!t.

hahahaaha...this is why I love you so! :D ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/04/07 at 8:43 pm

Srsly. Nobody likes a spoiled brat. Why would we flock out to buy one?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/04/07 at 10:40 pm

Good call....  ;D

Written By: Marian on 01/05/07 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, they are focusing on this certain look that only plastic surgeon's could create. What about the real women out there?  >:(   ;)
Well.I actuallu Do have a big LOWER lip,but not THAT big.And why go to a plastic surgeon to get a look that's not even pretty?

Check for new replies or respond here...