inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody think the 00's are like the 90's anymore?

Written By: tv on 01/06/07 at 6:02 pm

Does anybody think the 90's anymore musically or Tv programming wise? I think musically there is some influences on the music side like Puff Daddy paving the way for Glam -Rap to become big in the 00's. However the rap that Puff Daddy in 1997 was more R&B infleunced where as the type of glam rap that 50 Cent and Lil Jon made popular in 2003 was more club music influenced. A/C pop- I think a groups like Third Eye Blind and Matchbox Twenty paved the way for A/C pop to be big in the 00's. However a group like Maroon 5 or The Fray derfinately does have a different sound than Third Eye Blind or Matchbox Twenty. 1997 music does have a alot of influence to todays music but really none to 1995.

On the TV side Friends and Frasier lasted up until 2004 and the 00's has some ties with the 90's like "E.R." which is still on now paving the way for medical shows like Grey's Anatomy or House. Also Law & Order paved the way for the CSI franchise but Law & Order and CSI are very different.

To summarize I think the 00's music has ties with late 90's music but they sound very different still(03+.) On the Tv side like wise they are 90's influence but they;re still different. The 00's also has a different attitude than the 90's. It was cool to be middle class in the 90's in the 00's its about wealth(buying that Benz) like the 80's sort of.

Subject: Re: Does anybody think the 00's are like the 90's anymore?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/06/07 at 9:22 pm

For surface similarities: yes, but when you look at it deeper, no (although I admit I thought they were up until '04 or so - like, 1999 still felt very much around the corner).

For example, alot of '90s and '00s music genres are similar (grunge/alternative-esque rock, hip hop, teen pop, R&B ballads), but most of the artists are different. Singers and bands popular then have largely faded or disappeared now.

TV is very different. The '90s had way way more sitcoms, whereas Reality TV is very '00s. Also, mini series like Lost and Desperate Housewives picked up steam around 2003. Also, lots of mom and pop stores have gone under since the late '90s. Lots of newer technology, although the roots of digital tech started with the masses around 1997.

What they do share in common is the overall atmosphere isn't hugely different. Sure, the hardcore grunge/lumberjack look or the Marky Mark white rapper/backwards baseball hat look would look dated and a little silly, but for the most part, someone from the '90s wouldn't be too out of place today.

I'd say the '90s and the '00s relation is similar to the '60s and '70s -- part of the same cultural generation overall, but different when you look at it enough.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/07/07 at 2:06 am

Even though the 2000's were alot like the late '90s a few years ago, I never really thought the '00s were that much like the '90s as a whole. I've always sort of seen it as, alot of stuff that is popular now in the '00s is basically just watered down versions of things that reached mainstream popularity in the '90s(grunge and gangsta rap would be 2 examples).

Written By: Brian06 on 01/07/07 at 4:52 am

There was a change in 2003 absolutely no doubt about it, I don't buy into "decadeology" much but I'll say that 2003 is generally when pop really started turning to crap imo, the early 2000s had some good catchy music and 2003 had some good as well, but by the end of the year it was just pretty freaking crappy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/07/07 at 8:46 am

does anyone remember that we said no more of these threads please?  locked...

Check for new replies or respond here...