inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Morrissey in talks for Eurovision Song Contest

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/07 at 11:08 am

Former Smiths singer Morrissey could represent the UK at the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC has confirmed.

The Mancunian musician first expressed an interest in taking part after Daz Sampson's song, Teenage Life, came fifth from last in the 2006 contest.

Subject: Re: Morrissey in talks for Eurovision Song Contest

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 12:42 pm

He's like the one erson I would never have thought to have an entry.  When I think Eurovision, I think of bands like Bucks Fizz, Bananarama, Bardo, none of which sound like Morrissey ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/07 at 2:06 pm

He's like the one erson I would never have thought to have an entry.  When I think Eurovision, I think of bands like Bucks Fizz, Bananarama, Bardo, none of which sound like Morrissey ;D
I am looking forward to his entry and wonder the content of the song?

Written By: Cheetara on 01/09/07 at 2:21 pm

Oh my... I LOVE Morrissey.  This should be interesting... :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/07 at 9:16 pm

Oh my... I LOVE Morrissey.   This should be interesting... :)

So do I, but he hit his peak more than 20 years ago and now lounges by the pool of a swanky mansion in Beverly Hills.  Imagine, the gay torch singer who tore my teenage heart asunder with "How Soon Is Now" turning into Hugh Hefner.

OK, Mozz, you do what you like, just fogive me if I don't stay around to watch.
:(

Written By: Gis on 01/10/07 at 3:12 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/07 at 11:14 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oh yes.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 01/15/07 at 11:20 am

I heard about this (of course!). I'm not too familiar with Eurovision, but from what I'm told, it's pretty cheesy. And Morrissey's video for "You Have Killed Me" (from Ringleader Of The Tormentors) was supposed to look like a 1960s/70s Eurovision contest.

I'm kind of excited about this, actually. I hope it'll come on television here. Thanks for posting this, Philip. : )

Oh my... I LOVE Morrissey.   This should be interesting... :)

...Have I just found a new best friend!? XD

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/07 at 5:15 pm

I heard about this (of course!). I'm not too familiar with Eurovision, but from what I'm told, it's pretty cheesy. And Morrissey's video for "You Have Killed Me" (from Ringleader Of The Tormentors) was supposed to look like a 1960s/70s Eurovision contest.

I'm kind of excited about this, actually. I hope it'll come on television here. Thanks for posting this, Philip. : )

If it does go ahead, I am interested too!

Written By: karen on 01/16/07 at 6:28 am

I heard about this (of course!). I'm not too familiar with Eurovision, but from what I'm told, it's pretty cheesy.

You might find this thread useful

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/07 at 2:29 am

Former Smiths singer Morrissey will not be involved with the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC has said.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/24/07 at 8:20 am

Former Smiths singer Morrissey will not be involved with the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC has said.

Well, thats good, I guess, still confusing in that (as someone already mentioned), isn't the Mozz living in the good ole USA now?

Plus, from what I've learned, he has quite a large Latino following nowadays, there are actually a few bands here in southern Cali that sing Smiths covers in Spanglish, so I thought if anything, he'd be representing the US or even Mexico....in addition to the fact that Morrissey isn't exactly representing the latest and greatest of whats out there in music right now.

I mean I still love the Smiths, but really, its time for the Mozz to eat some meat, have sex and lighten up already... ::)

Or better yet, make up with Johnny Marr and to a Smiths reunion before they both shuffle off this mortal coil....

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 03/04/07 at 11:00 am

Well, thats good, I guess, still confusing in that (as someone already mentioned), isn't the Mozz living in the good ole USA now?

He was living in Los Angeles, but I think he's in Rome now.

So I thought if anything, he'd be representing the US or even Mexico....in addition to the fact that Morrissey isn't exactly representing the latest and greatest of whats out there in music right now.

What do you mean?

I mean I still love the Smiths, but really, its time for the Mozz to eat some meat, have sex and lighten up already... ::)

Then who would he be?! And for the record, he's broken his vow of celibacy. That might be good news to you but it depresses (maybe even disappoints) me.

Written By: philbo on 03/04/07 at 1:10 pm

The only thing I could think of as more depressing than Morrissey doing Eurovision is... well, OK, I can't think of anything more depressing.

...I think he's in Rome now.

There doesn't seem to be anyone around

..isn't that how it goes?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 03/04/07 at 3:38 pm

There doesn't seem to be anyone around

..isn't that how it goes?

How what goes, sir?

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/04/07 at 4:47 pm

He was living in Los Angeles, but I think he's in Rome now.

What do you mean?

Then who would he be?! And for the record, he's broken his vow of celibacy. That might be good news to you but it depresses (maybe even disappoints) me.

He'd be Morrissey, an evolved artist, who's learned and grown from his experiences, no one else but Morrissey, just a bit more learned and grown up.
No offense,  just that I've evolved from times of 20 years ago, and it'd be nice to see that in Morrissey too...A good artist can reflect the times around them as well as the past, any artist (a relevant artist) changes, grows and evolves. 
Haven't really seen that in Morrissey (though you mentioned he's broken his vow of celibacy, I've never really believed that he really followed it, sorry).
IMO, Morrissey has said all he's had to say.
There are many great things happening in music today, I listen to all kinds of stuff now, and have been introduced to sounds I wouldn't have thought I've of listened to years ago...while there will always be an audience for Morrissey and The Smiths, and there is some absolutely brilliant music and lyrics there, I'd think we'd both be hard pressed to say he represents the most innovative, or exciting or interesting music that is happening right now.

Written By: philbo on 03/05/07 at 4:40 am

How what goes, sir?

I believe the original is "I think we're alone now", but "in Rome now" seemed to scan pretty well...

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 03/05/07 at 11:20 am

I believe the original is "I think we're alone now", but "in Rome now" seemed to scan pretty well...

LMAO That's hilarious! Karma +1.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/07 at 11:42 am

It is to be someone else now, but I have forgotten who!

Check for new replies or respond here...