inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shirley Temple Versus Paris Hilton

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/10/07 at 5:09 am

http://www.tvsquad.com/images/2005/11/parisness.jpg http://www.oldies.com/i/boxart/small/83/089218832085.jpg

"Stand up, drink beer, and just take a bow, Hilton..."

I've recently heard in the news that former child star Shirley Temple threw negative comments at the slut Paris Hilton, as quoted below:

You can relax--you're not the only one who finds Paris Hilton annoying as hell. Shirley Temple-Black and Shirley MacLaine have both come out lately slamming the pet-rotating heiress. First MacLaine stepped up to the mat when someone suggested she is an icon. "Oh, hell, they're calling Paris Hilton an icon", MacLaine shot back. "It doesn't mean a thing to me."

MacLaine went on to blast Hilton for having the audacity to call herself an "actress", pointing out it took seven years for screen legend Bette Davis to earn the cred to have her name above the title on the screen. Damn straight, Shirley.

Temple-Black, in a decided departure from her oh-so-sweet dimpled and ringleted child star persona, also stepped into the ring to deliver a resounding verbal bitch-slap, saying that people like Paris are "stealing the thunder from really talented actresses." Amen on both counts, Shirleys. It's about time some old-Hollywood blood stepped up to the plate to deliver a smackdown to Hilton, whose biggest talent seems to be acquiring new pets and getting rid of old ones.

So, does Little Miss Good Ship Lollipop deserve a score for throwing poo at Hilton?

Subject: Re: Shirley Temple Versus Paris Hilton

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/07 at 5:55 am

I'd say that both of the Shirleys must have forgotten to take their Metamucil lately.

Paris is a fine actress.  If either Temple-Black of Maclaine had seen Hilton's role in the movie "Wonderland" they would change their minds.

TThey both have sour grapes since they resent not being in the spotlight themselves for a really looooooooooong time. .

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/07 at 11:02 am

I'd say that both of the Shirleys must have forgotten to take their Metamucil lately.

Paris is a fine actress.  If either Temple-Black of Maclaine had seen Hilton's role in the movie "Wonderland" they would change their minds.

TThey both have sour grapes since they resent not being in the spotlight themselves for a really looooooooooong time. .

I disagree. "The Shirleys" are right on! They have been in the business a hell of a lot longer than Paris has. And they got there by talent-not by wearing knee-pad.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:11 pm

I disagree. "The Shirleys" are right on! They have been in the business a hell of a lot longer than Paris has. And they got there by talent-not by wearing knee-pad.

Cat

STB knows perfectly well there were trashy heiresses in her day and plenty of gossip about them.  The difference is TV.  No TV 70 years ago, let alone 24-hour cable news outlets with two hours of newsworthy stories on a good day!
Shirley Temple was a child actress.  Along with not being an actress, Paris Hilton is not a child.  She doesn't exactly make that fact easy to remember!  Shirley Temple's acting career ended when she blossomed into a woman.  Audiences couldn't stand the sight of America's sweetheart all grown up and kissing a leading man.    Paris Hilton had to make a tape of herself having sexual intercourse in order to get any attention at all. 
So it's apples and oranges, Ms. Temple-Black!  (or apples and apple tarts!)

Say, what if they mixed a non-alcoholic cocktail called a "Paris Hilton," wonder what would be the ingredients?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/10/07 at 5:14 pm

No, they're right. 

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 5:21 pm

Was Paris Hilton ever cute and adorable?  Shirley Temple started out at a very young age.  Most people want to remember her as the kid who sang, "On The Good Ship Lollipop".  What are we going to remember Paris Hilton for?  In my opinion this is an unfair comparison.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/07 at 5:37 pm

Was Paris Hilton ever cute and adorable?  Shirley Temple started out at a very young age.  Most people want to remember her as the kid who sang, "On The Good Ship Lollipop".  What are we going to remember Paris Hilton for?  In my opinion this is an unfair comparison.

Paris Hilton?  Well, it wasn't exactly a "lollipop."
:-X

My point is it's a non-comparison.  Just doesn't work.

STB isn't just any washed-up former child star.  She had rather a brilliant career in politics and diplomacy.  She's a right-winger, which is too bad, but she didn't just retire to Beverly Hills and twiddle her thumbs for the next half century!

Written By: spaceace on 01/10/07 at 5:41 pm

Paris Hilton?  Well, it wasn't exactly a "lollipop."
:-X

My point is it's a non-comparison.  Just doesn't work.

STB isn't just any washed-up former child star.  She had rather a brilliant career in politics and diplomacy.  She's a right-winger, which is too bad, but she didn't just retire to Beverly Hills and twiddle her thumbs for the next half century!

Yeah, but I don't think those two should ever be compared, Ever!!!  Shirley Temple is a right-winger but at least she has a sense of the world around here.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/10/07 at 9:09 pm

Both Shirleys are right, Paris Hilton is vastly overated.

Watch House of Wax, and then give yourself a lobotomy afterwards.  To find out way.  ;D

I like the South Park spoof on Paris.  ;D

Butters: Ya work 18 hours whadaya get? Parents sell ya to Paris Hilton.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/10/07 at 11:56 pm

Shirley, and the actresses of yester years...had class and talent.....two things that the "Paris Hiltons" of today will NEVER have a breath of. ::)

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/11/07 at 3:29 am

Both Shirleys are right, Paris Hilton is vastly overated.

Watch House of Wax, and then give yourself a lobotomy afterwards.  To find out way.  ;D

I like the South Park spoof on Paris.   ;D

Butters: Ya work 18 hours whadaya get? Parents sell ya to Paris Hilton.   ;D

Yeah, I support SHirley Temple's rant against Hilton - the hotel heiress, according to my classmate, can easily make enemies, like her ex-BFF Nicole Ricci and Lindsay Lohan. Besides, STB still rules!!!

Written By: lpg_unit on 01/11/07 at 3:38 am

Say, what if they mixed a non-alcoholic cocktail called a "Paris Hilton," wonder what would be the ingredients?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/drunken_smilie.gif

Maybe mercury, beer and some denatured alcohol, besides, hotel heiresses suck...

Written By: woops on 01/11/07 at 3:19 pm

Wasn't aware Temple was still around and Hilton is a nobody...  ::)

Though Jody Foster probably doesn't give a care since she's an Oscar winner and one of the most overrated actresses around

Scarlett Johansson, now that's an actress  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/07 at 3:33 pm

I'm sure very few people are aware of this but one of Shirley Temple's first movies (when she was like 3 or 4), she played a Mae West character-can't remember the name of the film (and I did check IMDb). I guess at that young age, she realized the "error of her ways" and went to the opposite extreme-unlike Paris.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/11/07 at 10:05 pm

Though Jody Foster probably doesn't give a care since she's an Oscar winner and one of the most overrated actresses around

Jodie Foster...overrated...no way.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/11/07 at 10:27 pm

Please, Jodie Foster is not overrated.  Paris Hilton is as big of a nobody as they come.  All she's famous for is having a well-known last name, money and a sex tape.  She's no one of any consequence or importance.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/07 at 11:57 pm

All she's famous for is having a well-known last name, money and a sex tape. 

That's what makes me envious.  I've got none of those.  I could arrange for the last one, but then I would have to have money...lots money to pay people to watch it!
:P

Shirley, and the actresses of yester years...had class and talent.....two things that the "Paris Hiltons" of today will NEVER have a breath of. ::)

But remember, Paris isn't even an actress.  Not even a half-azzed actress who could buy her way in, like Tori Spelling.  You might call Paris a "pop culture icon," that's what they call people who don't do anything, but are just famous for being famous!

Her grandfather wanted to give most of the Hilton fortune to philanthropy.  His son contested the will and won.  Grandpa was right.  There are two reasons for philanthropy:
1. To help people.
2. To avoid ending up with descendents like Paris Hilton!
I'll bet Bill Gates looks at Paris and says, "Not my grandkids, no way!"

::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/11/07 at 11:58 pm

That's what makes me envious.  I've got none of those.  I could arrange for the last one, but then I would have to have money...lots money to pay people to watch it!

Why be envious of that waste of space?  There's better people in this world you can wish you were.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/07 at 12:05 am

Why be envious of that waste of space?  There's better people in this world you can wish you were.

Yeah, like Kevin Federline!  Yay!

Written By: Gis on 01/12/07 at 8:14 am

has anyone actually seen Paris's tape?? They showed a clip on this show called The worst celebrities of 2006. It was really funny because she was just lying there looking SO bored whilst the bloke was giving it his all.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/07 at 2:53 pm

has anyone actually seen Paris's tape?? They showed a clip on this show called The worst celebrities of 2006. It was really funny because she was just lying there looking SO bored whilst the bloke was giving it his all.  ;D

You get bored with anything once you've done it 10,000 times!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/07 at 3:40 pm

You get bored with anything once you've done it 10,000 times!

Ouch.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/07 at 11:05 pm

Jodie Foster? Overrated?

Paris Hilton could only wish to be as good as Jodie Foster.   ::)

Or Scarlett Johansson. 

Check for new replies or respond here...