inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: washington dc

Written By: kairi747 on 01/11/07 at 8:36 am

taking a short trip to dc this summer.  heard the smithsonian is being renovated and will be closed.  going with four kids ages 13, 11, 9 and 6.  any suggestions for fun things to do while there?  thanks.

Subject: Re: washington dc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/07 at 3:48 pm

taking a short trip to dc this summer.  heard the smithsonian is being renovated and will be closed.  going with four kids ages 13, 11, 9 and 6.  any suggestions for fun things to do while there?  thanks.

There is a lot of stuff to do. Yeah, the Smithsonian is great but the Smithsonian is not ONE museum but several. I doubt all of them will be closed at the same time. The Air & Space Museaum (which used to have a terrific movie called "To Fly"-don't know if they still have it. If they do, I recommend it.), National Gallery, National Museum of Natural History, to name just a few. Not to mention the numerous art museums. There are also paddle boats in front of the Jefferson Memorial (I think are still there). Rock Creek Park is also beautiful (if you want to pack a picnic lunch). There is also the zoo. Of course there is also the Capital Building. (We can thank Dubya for not allowing tours of the White House anymore  >:( ). If you want to travel a little bit, there is the Custis-Lee Mansion at Arlington Cemetary and Mount Vernon. Also, Glen Echo Park-which is an old amusement park that they turned into an arts & crafts center but the carrousel is still running.

These are just some of what you can do while there. I hope this helps.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/07 at 6:27 pm

March to Lafayette Park and listen to seditious speeches.  Well, that's what I used to do.
:-\\

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 6:41 pm

A word to the wise.

The Washington Monument was possibly the biggest disapointment in my life. It's just... a medium sized lump of stone. Not even that big.  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 01/11/07 at 6:52 pm

A word to the wise.

The Washington Monument was possibly the biggest disapointment in my life. It's just... a medium sized lump of stone. Not even that big.  ;D

Size doesn't matter. :o

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 6:53 pm

Size doesn't matter. :o

It's not that wide either though..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/11/07 at 6:58 pm

A word to the wise.

The thing always looked like a giant klansman to me!

Written By: La Roche on 01/11/07 at 7:01 pm

The thing always looked like a giant klansman to me!

Nah, it's a pencil.

Written By: kairi747 on 01/15/07 at 11:09 am

There is a lot of stuff to do. Yeah, the Smithsonian is great but the Smithsonian is not ONE museum but several. I doubt all of them will be closed at the same time. The Air & Space Museaum (which used to have a terrific movie called "To Fly"-don't know if they still have it. If they do, I recommend it.), National Gallery, National Museum of Natural History, to name just a few. Not to mention the numerous art museums. There are also paddle boats in front of the Jefferson Memorial (I think are still there). Rock Creek Park is also beautiful (if you want to pack a picnic lunch). There is also the zoo. Of course there is also the Capital Building. (We can thank Dubya for not allowing tours of the White House anymore  >:( ). If you want to travel a little bit, there is the Custis-Lee Mansion at Arlington Cemetary and Mount Vernon. Also, Glen Echo Park-which is an old amusement park that they turned into an arts & crafts center but the carrousel is still running.

These are just some of what you can do while there. I hope this helps.

Cat

thanks!  i couldn't imagine that all of the museums would be closed either.  i completely forgot about the zoo!! 

Check for new replies or respond here...