inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Two missing Missouri Boys Found...

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/12/07 at 7:36 pm

Great News!!! 

BEAUFORT, Mo. - A 13-year-old boy who vanished from the gravel road near his home five days ago was found alive about 60 miles away in a suburban St. Louis home, along with a 15-year-old boy missing since 2002, authorities said Friday.

The boys were found in a Kirkwood home belonging to Michael Devlin, 41, who has been charged with one count of first-degree kidnapping, Sheriff Gary Toelke said. The discovery was

Subject: Re: Two missing Missouri Boys Found...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/12/07 at 7:37 pm

I just read this a little bit ago. I guess they don't have any specifics as to why they were kidnapped.....but thank goodness they are safe. I hope they haven't been through horrible things. :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/12/07 at 11:01 pm

That sounds great that they were found alive.

Written By: Marian on 01/13/07 at 3:46 pm

It's really great news.I just saw the step dad of one of them on CNN or something at the press conference.

Written By: saver on 01/13/07 at 4:50 pm

It makes you wonder how  or if they gave up looking for that first kid?

Some srtories don't linger as as long as the Natalie Holloway story, they just presumed the worse or DID THEY?? (For the first kid?)

Was it also enslavement that the kid had been with the guy for 5 years? But was seen outside playing by others who thought it was a 'single dad' situation?

So HOW MANY OTHER MISSING KIDS WE HEAR ABOUT OUT THERE WHICH NO ONE LOOKED FOR AFTER A SHORT TIME?

Plus this story isn't surprising to me as I just heard of a woman who 10 years ago found the wreckage of a crashed miniplane that killed a couple of couples who left a Mexican vacation in the 70s and no one ever seemed to bring up they were still looking for them!

You would think the whole family somewhere would ask 'whatever happened to them, they should've been back by now?'!
BUT NO ONE DID ...very odd world....

Written By: saver on 01/14/07 at 5:29 pm

read how the boys folksWERE looking for him...question is why didn't the BOY tell anyone he was taken(the 4 year missing one)?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/07 at 5:33 pm

read how the boys folksWERE looking for him...question is why didn't the BOY tell anyone he was taken(the 4 year missing one)?

perhaps he was brainwashed...sometimes that happens in kidnapping cases.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/14/07 at 5:34 pm

It's called "Stockholm Syndrome".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/07 at 6:30 pm

That's the one.  These depraved predators really know how to mess with a kid's head.  I was happy to see they found those boys alive and intact, rather than unearthed as skeletons.  On the other hand, thinking about what they might have gone through and the lifelong damage they might suffer made me feel very sad. 
:\'(

There's a couple of cases I'm trying to remember.  One was in Colorado in the '70s where one of these sickos kidnapped a young boy and held him as a sex slave until he was 18.  Another was a young woman kidnaped while hitchiking in California.  The kidnapper and his wife kept the woman imprisoned in the basement, and for extended periods locked in a box under their mattress, for seven years.  The "Stockholm Syndrome" got so bad in her case that toward the end of her captivity, the couple had the woman outdoors doing yardwork while they weren't home, and she didn't even try to escape!
I'll link to the stories if I can remember more about them.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/15/07 at 1:36 am

Hmmm...never heard of that before. I Googled it and checked out the Wikipedia entry and it made the Elizabeth Smart case (which was included as a possible example) make a bit more sense.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/07 at 5:29 pm

Hmmm...never heard of that before. I Googled it and checked out the Wikipedia entry and it made the Elizabeth Smart case (which was included as a possible example) make a bit more sense.

That's why I think they stopped covering it.  The all-American teen pixie liked getting it on with the gross old goat?  The networks might have figured the viewing public couldn't deal with that, and likely they were right.  They could bring on as many psychologists to explain "Stockholm Syndrome," but  the folks would still be too horrified.

The same thing happened to Patricia Hearst in the '70s, but she was past the age of consent, Ms. Smart was not.  The authorities also caught Ms. Hearst robbing a bank with her captors.  When Smart was "rescued," everybody thought her damsel-in-distress status would be unalloyed.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/16/07 at 12:31 pm

That's why I think they stopped covering it.  The all-American teen pixie liked getting it on with the gross old goat?  The networks might have figured the viewing public couldn't deal with that, and likely they were right.  They could bring on as many psychologists to explain "Stockholm Syndrome," but  the folks would still be too horrified.

The same thing happened to Patricia Hearst in the '70s, but she was past the age of consent, Ms. Smart was not.  The authorities also caught Ms. Hearst robbing a bank with her captors.  When Smart was "rescued," everybody thought her damsel-in-distress status would be unalloyed.

I actually saw Elizabeth at the mall not long ago.  She looked happy and healthy.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/07 at 12:55 pm

I actually saw Elizabeth at the mall not long ago.  She looked happy and healthy.

oh wow, I didn't know you lived near her. That's awesome that she looked well. :)

Written By: Marian on 01/27/07 at 2:08 pm

oh wow, I didn't know you lived near her. That's awesome that she looked well. :)
I think she knows her kidnappers actually have bigger problems than she does.I remember an interview with the woman's daughter,who said she didn't think her mother knew how much trouble she was in.

Written By: Banks on 01/28/07 at 5:31 am

There was a TV mini-series in the very late 1980's called 'The Missing Years'. It was released on VHS here in Australia as 'I KNow My Name Is Stephen'. It was the same thing, a small kid in suburban USA goes missing...The show details the kids life with his captor (a man who sexually abuses him etc) and the life of the kids real parents. The kid then gets suspicious when his kidnapper brings another young child into the home....and I wont spoil it for anyone...Apparently it was based upon a true story.

AN

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/07 at 7:49 am

There was a TV mini-series in the very late 1980's called 'The Missing Years'. It was released on VHS here in Australia as 'I KNow My Name Is Stephen'. It was the same thing, a small kid in suburban USA goes missing...The show details the kids life with his captor (a man who sexually abuses him etc) and the life of the kids real parents. The kid then gets suspicious when his kidnapper brings another young child into the home....and I wont spoil it for anyone...Apparently it was based upon a true story.

AN

That is the story of Steven Stayner.  I remember when it happened, when he showed up in the police station with the other boy.  Sometime in the seventies I think it was.  Steven ended up gettting married and living in a trailer.  One day he was out riding his mini bike and was hit and killed.  In the nineties his brother Cary went to prison for a horrific murder of two women who were camping in the woods.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/07 at 5:14 pm

That is the story of Steven Stayner.  I remember when it happened, when he showed up in the police station with the other boy.  Sometime in the seventies I think it was.  Steven ended up gettting married and living in a trailer.  One day he was out riding his mini bike and was hit and killed.  In the nineties his brother Cary went to prison for a horrific murder of two women who were camping in the woods.

Wasn't that in Colorado?  I think that's the case I was thinking of, but I recall the story breaking in the early '80s.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/28/07 at 5:20 pm

Wasn't that in Colorado?  I think that's the case I was thinking of, but I recall the story breaking in the early '80s.

I had to look the dates up. Steve Stayners kidnapping was in 1972 and returned in 1979. The Stayners lived in California, Cary Stayner murdered in Yosemite in the 90's. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/07 at 5:28 pm

I had to look the dates up. Steve Stayners kidnapping was in 1972 and returned in 1979. The Stayners lived in California, Cary Stayner murdered in Yosemite in the 90's. 

Could have been '79 I'm remembering.  That goes back to my childhood. 

I distinctly remember the name Stayner in conjuction with older sister reading a Newsweek article on the case:
"He sodomized him?  Mom, does that mean....(whisper, whisper)?"
"Yes it does, dear."
:-X

Then of course there was a documentary made after C. Stayner died and shown ad nauseam on Discovery.

Check for new replies or respond here...