inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sick, Sad, World: Woman drowns herself for a Nintendo WII

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/07 at 5:50 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/14/national/main2358958.shtml

The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest was promised a Nintendo Wii video game system.

According to reports, Jennifer Strange, 28, a mother of three from Rancho Cordova, California, took the challenge of a local radio station.  I guess it seemed harmless enough guzzle and retain the most water, and you win a Nintendo WII.  Great surprise for the kids, right?  Unfortunately, Strange's children didn't gain a video game system.  They lost a mom.
:\'(

If you drink too much water in too short a time, you can dilute your body chemistry so severely major organ failure ensues.  You can literally drown yourself drinking as little as a gallon of water in a half hour.  I knew it was possible.  I just didn't know it was possible with a seemingly modest amount.  I don't think the radio station realized it either.  Neither did Ms. Strange.  Next time a radio station decides to run a test-your-limits contest, they'd better consult both legal and medical professionals.  There isn't going to be a next time for Jennifer Strange.

I'm tempted to crack jokes here, but all I can think about is her young children losing their mother over a dumb publicity stunt.  Think about it.  Kind of makes you sick.

Subject: Re: Sick, Sad, World: Woman drowns herself for a Nintendo WII

Written By: Marian on 01/18/07 at 2:24 pm

To be fair,there are many EATING contests.People see how fast they can devout hot dogs,hamburgers,jalapenos,pies--you name it.It seems the winner is often a skinny Japanese person,which would seem to attest to knowing how to do it without permanent harm.I think it's just as probable to die from overeating as overdrinking.Water doesn't have any harmful additives,so it would seem to be the most harmless.The unlucky woman didn't know when to say "when"and she would have been the best judge of that.It's quite possible some of the station employees have themselves participated in eating contests and watched them,and decided water was the safest alternative.

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/07 at 5:49 pm

The things people do just to get the top electronics.  It's sad / sick at the same time.  Why is it that 20 years ago, no one was racing and breaking their backs to get an original Nintendo?

Written By: Uncanny on 01/18/07 at 5:51 pm

They probably were and we just forgot. People are stupid, lol

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 01/18/07 at 6:22 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/14/national/main2358958.shtml

The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest was promised a Nintendo Wii video game system.

According to reports, Jennifer Strange, 28, a mother of three from Rancho Cordova, California, took the challenge of a local radio station.  I guess it seemed harmless enough guzzle and retain the most water, and you win a Nintendo WII.  Great surprise for the kids, right?  Unfortunately, Strange's children didn't gain a video game system.  They lost a mom.

If you drink too much water in too short a time, you can dilute your body chemistry so severely major organ failure ensues.  You can literally drown yourself drinking as little as a gallon of water in a half hour.  I knew it was possible.  I just didn't know it was possible with a seemingly modest amount.  I don't think the radio station realized it either.  Neither did Ms. Strange.  Next time a radio station decides to run a test-your-limits contest, they'd better consult both legal and medical professionals.  There isn't going to be a next time for Jennifer Strange.

I'm tempted to crack jokes here, but all I can think about is her young children losing their mother over a dumb publicity stunt.  Think about it.  Kind of makes you sick.

I read the article on aol.com this morning.  Apparently on the tape, someone had actually called into the station beforehand and warned them it was dangerous.  And the DJ's just laugh it off.  That's what REALLY sickens me about it    >:(

Written By: nupur on 01/18/07 at 6:34 pm

I read the article on aol.com this morning.  Apparently on the tape, someone had actually called into the station beforehand and warned them it was dangerous.  And the DJ's just laugh it off.  That's what REALLY sickens me about it    >:(

yea, i saw on the news last night that after somebody called in (i think it was a nurse), the DJ  said something about the contestants having signed a contract with the station so that they weren't held liable for any sickness or death and laughed about it. i believe he, along with a bunch of other at the station, lost their jobs (as they deserved). I wonder how they were allowed to even run the contest. I would think there would be someone there who would have known about water intoxication or at least foreseen that drinking so much water could be dangerous.. :-\\

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/07 at 10:16 pm

It is sad...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/07 at 2:00 am

There's a lot of stuff out there that can kill you and you might not know it until it's too late!

I can't believe somebody would be so foolish as to ignore the signals from her own body saying, "Hey, I'm dying over here!"
I can't believe a radio station would hold such a contest without asking, "Could somebody get hurt doing this?"

Maybe the courts will find otherwise, but I think that show's producers, the station management, and the company itself should get sued to high hell.  I hate to sound like Bill O'Reilly, but I wanna send a message here so that nobody will do this again.  I wanna hold these people accountable!
::)

A zillion dollars in punitive damages will buy those kids all the video game systems they could ever want, but it can't buy them a new mom!

Written By: Marian on 01/19/07 at 4:17 pm

There's a lot of stuff out there that can kill you and you might not know it until it's too late!

I can't believe somebody would be so foolish as to ignore the signals from her own body saying, "Hey, I'm dying over here!"
I can't believe a radio station would hold such a contest without asking, "Could somebody get hurt doing this?"

Maybe the courts will find otherwise, but I think that show's producers, the station management, and the company itself should get sued to high hell.  I hate to sound like Bill O'Reilly, but I wanna send a message here so that nobody will do this again.  I wanna hold these people accountable!

A zillion dollars in punitive damages will buy those kids all the video game systems they could ever want, but it can't buy them a new mom!
I'm not sure what they could get sued for,but i think drinking--and eating contests will continue.it's in the news now because one person died,probably from ignoring her body's signals.if some died of a heart attack during a hot dog eating contest,it probably wouldn't be in the news because hot dogs aren't that good for you anyway.

Written By: jackas on 01/19/07 at 7:22 pm

I really don't think it is fair to sue the radio station.  Nobody from the radio station twisted the womans arm and made her enter the contest.  Why is it that she is not liable for her own death?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 8:16 pm

The DJs have been fired and there is talk of a pending lawsuit.  Apparently there is audio tape of the DJs discussing how how harmful this could be......and then going ahead and doing it anyway.  I was listening to the Roe Conn show on WLS yesterday, and they were discussing this case and had a copy of the tape in question.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/07 at 8:30 pm

^ posted while I was typing this reply.

I really don't think it is fair to sue the radio station.  Nobody from the radio station twisted the womans arm and made her enter the contest.  Why is it that she is not liable for her own death?

I'm still unclear on the legal ramifications.  I see a possible charge of gross negligence for the station employees responsible for the contest.
a. There was a widely publicized case of a fraternity pledge in Chico, north of Sacramento, who died of water intoxication via the same route.
b. Medical professionals are on record as calling the program and warning the program hosts that the activity was dangerous; the hosts scoffed and kept the contest going.
c. Nobody bothered to even inquire whether such a contest was could endanger participants.  That would be the first thing I would ask before challenging contestants to ingest excessive quantities of any substance, be it vodka, steak sauce, plain old H20, or whatever.  However, my experience with the commercial radio biz leads me to believe most people in it are BONE STUPID and are pressured to go after 3 things: ratings, ratings, and ratings.  

This is a strong ethical case, but a weak legal case.  You can do horrible things and remain within the bounds of the law.  Nobody forced Ms. Strange to drink the water.  Ms. Strange herself did not ask whether doing so was dangerous.  If Ms. Strange was mentally impaired (and she might have been) and the show producers targeted her specifically with the knowledge that she was mentally impaired, there would be a much stronger case.  

If I had to bet, I would put my money on the plaintiff's losing in a suit.  Depends on what the sheriff's inquiry finds and what statutes are on the books.  I would not be surprised, however, it the station settled out of court if the family gets aggressive.  It might be worth it for PR's sake.  

As usual, the first fired were low level employees.  Management is doing  its best to sheild itself.  That means hanging the Joe Shmos out to dry.

The really perverse thing is Ms. Strange accepted the consolation prize: Justin Timberlake tickets.  And then she kicked the bucket.  So at least she will be spared Justin Timerlake.

What gets me is this: If it were not for that contest, Jennifer Strange would be alive today.
However, the law is another matter.

Written By: jackas on 01/19/07 at 10:05 pm

The really perverse thing is Ms. Strange accepted the consolation prize: Justin Timberlake tickets.  And then she kicked the bucket.  So at least she will be spared Justin Timerlake.

:D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 10:37 pm

There is nothing wrong with Justin Timberlake.  Good God.

Written By: whistledog on 01/19/07 at 10:52 pm

Cameron Diaz apparently disagrees ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 10:56 pm

Cameron Diaz apparently disagrees ;D

She's fug.  She's lucky she got him.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/07 at 9:42 am

Welcome to the ever expanding relm of "Reality TV".  And while this was done on radio, the idea is the same.  For the right money or prize, people will do almost anything.  Eat live bugs, put their head in rotten fish, climb up cliffs with no training, and do a multitude of other stupid and dangerous stunts.

And the people who make these shows either do not know, or care about the dangers,  Because they are in persuit of the all-important Neilson and Arbitron ratings.

I wonder how long it will be before "Treadmill for Dollars" is on primetime.  That is the game show where people with lung disease run on treadmills, and the last person alive wins $1,000.

And then it is just a matter of time before "The Running Man" and "Series 7" are the hot new reality shows.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/07 at 9:48 am

I heard about this on the radio, on a programme where the sources may not be true.

Truly tragic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/07 at 12:00 pm

No, there's nothing wrong with him.  If you're a goodlooking guy with no talent and people pay money to see you, that's their problem!

I do wonder about the claims thse clowns cannot be held liable.  Not whether the should be held liable, but whether they can legally be held liable. 

I notice all those TV commercials that show people driving trucks off cliffs and scaling rock faces with no ropes, the caption always says "Do not attempt."

If the legal counsel for giant corporations advises them to run a warning when they merely show a special effects dramatization of doing someting dangerous, there must be a reason.  I mean, if  you get a guy calling corporate HQ and saying, "My brother died because he drove his truck over a cliff after watching your commercial!" Maybe it doesn't legally suffice to say, "Well, your bother was an idiot.  Now he's a dead idiot!"  What does Carlos Mencia always say, "Duh-da-duh!"
??? 

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/20/07 at 12:10 pm

A very sad situation, but hopefully a lesson can be learned from all of this, so reality shows and radio stations might want to think twice before coming up with increasingly bizarre and dangerous "test your endurance" stunts that could possibly result in similar tragedies...

Written By: Marian on 01/20/07 at 12:14 pm

I agree.The other contestants knew how much they could tolerate.She could have quit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/07 at 12:32 pm

I agree.The other contestants knew how much they could tolerate.She could have quit.

Maybe you and Jacks can lobby your congressional reps for the "Personal Responsibility in Paticipating in Dumb Media Stunts Act."
Until something like that passes, legal liability might not keep pace with personal responsibility.

I don't know the facts, but I'm guessing participants in the "reality sows" on the big networks sign a stack of disclaimers even after the network has covered all bases with their lawyers. 

Part of the problem was this was a small market--suburban Sacramento is not Mayberry RFD--but it's not national, and it's certainly, nor is it like NYC, Chicago, or L.A.  So these guys might not have been clued into some things.

You know, when I was a kid, this was the contest:
If you were the 105th caller to FM 105 you won $105.00.  Otherwise the DJ played music, and some of it was actually really cool!  Imagine that?!

Written By: Marian on 01/20/07 at 5:08 pm

Maybe you and Jacks can lobby your congressional reps for the "Personal Responsibility in Paticipating in Dumb Media Stunts Act."
Until something like that passes, legal liability might not keep pace with personal responsibility.

I don't know the facts, but I'm guessing participants in the "reality sows" on the big networks sign a stack of disclaimers even after the network has covered all bases with their lawyers. 

Part of the problem was this was a small market--suburban Sacramento is not Mayberry RFD--but it's not national, and it's certainly, nor is it like NYC, Chicago, or L.A.  So these guys might not have been clued into some things.

If you were the 105th caller to FM 105 you won $105.00.  Otherwise the DJ played music, and some of it was actually really cool!  Imagine that?!
I've tried those.Usually the line is busy.I did win 2 lottery tickets once---they weren't winners.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/07 at 5:14 pm

Sacramento is the intersection of I-5 and I-80 and has a basketball team, it's not a huge market but it's definitely not a small country bumpkin community as you suggest.  The DJs were just stupid.

That said, nobody twisted the contestants' arms to do the contest.  Does that make it more the contestants' fault?  Not really.  Does it mean the DJs are less at fault?  Again, no.  The DJs chose to do the contest with apparently no authorization from their superiors and got fired.  The lady drank too much and killed herself for something that costs less than most car payments.  Wasn't worth it for either party, and they paid...the mother, unfortunately, most of all :(

The DJs should probably be sued but I doubt they'll be able to pin anything on them because it was a voluntary contest.

Written By: Marian on 01/20/07 at 5:48 pm

Sacramento is the intersection of I-5 and I-80 and has a basketball team, it's not a huge market but it's definitely not a small country bumpkin community as you suggest.  The DJs were just stupid.

That said, nobody twisted the contestants' arms to do the contest.  Does that make it more the contestants' fault?  Not really.  Does it mean the DJs are less at fault?  Again, no.  The DJs chose to do the contest with apparently no authorization from their superiors and got fired.  The lady drank too much and killed herself for something that costs less than most car payments.  Wasn't worth it for either party, and they paid...the mother, unfortunately, most of all :(

The DJs should probably be sued but I doubt they'll be able to pin anything on them because it was a voluntary contest.
Okay,I can see the D.J.s getting fired if their bosses didn't authorize the contest.But if you're at an all you can eat buffet,do you eat or drink yourself to death there???Not that i know of.When you're full,you have to stop.Period.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/07 at 5:51 pm

Okay,I can see the D.J.s getting fired if their bosses didn't authorize the contest.But if you're at an all you can eat buffet,do you eat or drink yourself to death there???Not that i know of.When you're full,you have to stop.Period.

Oh, I do agree with you that the woman should have had the presence of mind to know when to stop, but she wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place if the idiot DJs hadn't put on the contest.  Both parties are at fault here but it is tragic either way.

Written By: Marian on 01/20/07 at 6:58 pm

Oh, I do agree with you that the woman should have had the presence of mind to know when to stop, but she wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place if the idiot DJs hadn't put on the contest.  Both parties are at fault here but it is tragic either way.
if she didn't feel she had the money to spend on the game,she probably would have found some other equallt strange way to try to aquire it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/21/07 at 9:00 am

This is clearly a siren call for what should have been done years ago.  We need to regulate drinking water as a controlled substance.

And we need to enact legislation specific to the prohibition of water drinking contests.  We'll call it "Strange Law" in honour of this victim of boundless corporate greed and malfeasence.

Since more than 5 people were in on this act of organized crime, one can only hope that the Feds at least apply the RICO statute to this clear example of corporate racketeering.

Yet one more reason why Bush should be impeached.  That this event happened on his watch is a national disgrace!

Written By: jackas on 01/21/07 at 10:45 am

This is clearly a siren call for what should have been done years ago.  We need to regulate drinking water as a controlled substance.

And we need to enact legislation specific to the prohibition of water drinking contests.  We'll call it "Strange Law" in honour of this victim of boundless corporate greed and malfeasence.

Since more than 5 people were in on this act of organized crime, one can only hope that the Feds at least apply the RICO statute to this clear example of corporate racketeering.

Yet one more reason why Bush should be impeached.  That this event happened on his watch is a national disgrace!

;D ;D

Written By: kairi747 on 01/21/07 at 2:28 pm

this actually happened to a family friend of mine.  she was lucky enough to not die from it, however.  she drank a lot of water daily, trying to become more healthy.  she started suffering severe headaches and when tested, they found her brain was starting to swell.  water intoxication has something to do with altering the electrolytes in your system which will cause organ failure and brain swelling.  water enters your body through your intestines as they shut down, so the person suffering from this probably does not fell anything unusual until it is too late.  :(

Written By: Marian on 01/21/07 at 3:39 pm

hey while we're at it,let's use this as an excuse to allow drinking fountains at schools to be shut down.We wouldn't want the kiddies to be intoxicated,now would we?Let them have a drink once a day.They can sign up for what part of the day they want the teacher to hand them a water bottle.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/07 at 4:16 pm

It's drowning from within, basically.

Unlike the normal consumption of a substance, when the body signals how much is enough, conscious consumption to excess requires you to override biological signals.  The contestant will expect to feel weird, if not in excuciating pain, thus might not be able to heed mord dire warning signs.

Check for new replies or respond here...