inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Supermodel decides anorexia is caused by sucky home life.

Written By: Jessica on 01/19/07 at 1:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070119/en_nm/brazil_models_gisele_dc_1

Yes Gisele, it is all the families fault that young girls are anorexic and wanting to be unnaturally thin. It has nothing to do with the fact that thinness and heroin chic are shoved down everyone's throats EVERY. DAMNED. DAY.

This article just angers me in so many ways. All my life I've been told "thin is beautiful". Apparently, thin is also stupid. Well at least she is.

Bitch needs a clue. ::)

Subject: Re: Supermodel decides anorexia is caused by sucky home life.

Written By: spaceace on 01/19/07 at 3:27 pm

Gads.  I can believe she's not anorexic.  You don't have to be when all you do is drugs and bottled water.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/07 at 4:35 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070119/en_nm/brazil_models_gisele_dc_1

Yes Gisele, it is all the families fault that young girls are anorexic and wanting to be unnaturally thin. It has nothing to do with the fact that thinness and heroin chic are shoved down everyone's throats EVERY. DAMNED. DAY.

This article just angers me in so many ways. All my life I've been told "thin is beautiful". Apparently, thin is also stupid. Well at least she is.

Bitch needs a clue. ::)

I had the same reaction.

"I never suffered from this problem (anorexia) because I had a very strong family base. Parents are responsible, not the fashion industry,"

Well, no duh!  If you come from a loving, supportive, functional family pretty much everything is better for you.  Most of us come from familes with problems.  There is a grain of truth in what she is saying about parents, but not much more.  The fashion industry is rotten to the core and that chick knows it.  She's got the whole smarmy smug thing going.  Oh, I'm soooo sorry you got teased because you were skinny. 
::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/19/07 at 5:56 pm

Sorry, but Gisele needs to go to a recovery center and talk to some anorexics about why they are that way.  As someone who's battled eating disorders, and knows quite a few people who have them, having a sucky family life has jack squat to do with it.  It has to do with body image and psychology and you can have the most supportive family in the world and STILL have an eating disorder.  Family dysfunction also wouldn't explain why 90% of people with eating disorders are women.  If it was simply a case of having a dysfunctional family, it should be spread equally between men & women. 

Gisele needs to stick with taking pretty pictures and keep her mouth shut because she is validating the claim that supermodels are dumb...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 5:58 pm

She needs to watch the documentary "Thin" by Lauren Greenfield. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/07 at 8:53 pm

oh please ::)  Just another person who has NO clue whatsoever.  She needs to keep her comments to herself because she clearly has no idea regarding this issue.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/07 at 9:10 pm

Yesh......

She needs help....

Badly...

::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/19/07 at 9:55 pm

She needs to watch the documentary "Thin" by Lauren Greenfield. 
I just saw something about that.....or maybe it was a book by the same name ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 10:05 pm

I just saw something about that.....or maybe it was a book by the same name ???

The documentary is based on the book.....or I think it's the other way around.  Either way, she did them both.  I seriously recommend watching that documentary.  It'll open your eyes to what people with eating disorders really go through on a day to day basis. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 10:06 pm

Anyhoo.....she needs to go back to sticking Leonardo DiCaprio's hoo-hoo dilly in her pie hole so she'll shut up.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/19/07 at 10:36 pm

I done heard she was dating Tom Brady now...maybe he can have the Patriots' O-line have a talk with her ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 10:37 pm

I done heard she was dating Tom Brady now...maybe he can have the Patriots' O-line have a talk with her ;)

NOT MY TOM!  NO, ANYONE BUT MY TOM!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/07 at 11:09 pm

Anyhoo.....she needs to go back to sticking Leonardo DiCaprio's hoo-hoo dilly in her pie hole so she'll shut up.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 11:12 pm

;D ;D ;D

We didn't hear much out of her then, did we?  ;D  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/07 at 11:14 pm

We didn't hear much out of her then, did we?  ;D  ;D

absolutely not! LOL!  you are too freakin funny, Beth! :D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/19/07 at 11:15 pm

absolutely not! LOL!  you are too freakin funny, Beth! :D ;D

Awww shucks.  :-[

Written By: danootaandme on 01/20/07 at 7:31 am

Having known a few anorexics in my day I can say it isn't the fault of the family, but it is not of the media either.  One hand washes the other.  Unfortunately it is difficult for the family to control the media, but the media doesn't fully control the family.  In the cases I have seen of anorexia there is a subtle, or not so subtle, family dynamic, telling these young women that their looks are an appreciable part of their selves.  It makes me sick when a parent says in front of her child "ugh, I feel so fat" when they are anything but. Negative messages are sopped up.  No one gets off the hook on this one.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/20/07 at 10:11 am

http://www.comics.com/comics/luann/archive/images/luann20070112217720.gif

There's hope yet :)

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/20/07 at 10:30 am

Having known a few anorexics in my day I can say it isn't the fault of the family, but it is not of the media either.  One hand washes the other.  Unfortunately it is difficult for the family to control the media, but the media doesn't fully control the family.  In the cases I have seen of anorexia there is a subtle, or not so subtle, family dynamic, telling these young women that their looks are an appreciable part of their selves.  It makes me sick when a parent says in front of her child "ugh, I feel so fat" when they are anything but. Negative messages are sopped up.  No one gets off the hook on this one.

I'm with you on this one,yeah the fashion industry and celebrity culture play a huge part on it,but families need to take action,we need to educate our children making them see that ain't real or desirable,most of this models and celebs look like crap when they don't a have an army of beauty magicians around.
I get what Gisele is saying about being teased when she was younger,in Brazil there's this all booty fixation and being beautiful is having curves,skinny girls always feel they don't fit in, so they can suffer as much...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/07 at 11:56 am

oh please ::)  Just another person who has NO clue whatsoever.  She needs to keep her comments to herself because she clearly has no idea regarding this issue.

If everybody who has no clue whatsoever kept their comments to themselves, FOX News would go dark overnight!
:D

The anorexics I have known and known of, including one of my exes, hold the need to be thin/fit/attractive as a reason, but the pathology is one of control.  Anorexic pathology continues into mobid sickness and sometimes death.  Look at Nicole Ritchie, for chrissakes!  It's similar with "cutting," which is primarily something young women do.  There certainly are male anorexics and male "cutters," but far fewer.  If you feel out of control, self-starvation and self-mutilation are ways of feeling "in control."  It is not logical of course, but there it is. 

Check for new replies or respond here...