inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Airline removes family from plane because of toddler's tantrum.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/07 at 9:37 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

What do you think?  Was the airline justified?  I think they were.  I know I wouldn't want to spend several hours listening to a little girl screaming and hitting her parents.  I realize that kids sometimes throw fits, but this is pretty extreme.  It seems to me these tantrums are a common occurance for this little girl.  The airline not only refunded the family's money, they also flew them home for free, and gave them free tickets to anywhere they fly.  I think that's almost too generous.  There is no reason in the world the other passengers should have been subjected to parents who couldn't, (or wouldn't) control their child.

Subject: Re: Airline removes family from plane because of toddler's tantrum.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/07 at 9:38 am

Airline 1, Lame Parents 0

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 9:47 am

In this case, I'd actually agree with the airline. The little brat needed to be in her seat, not UNDER it. And that bullsh*t about calming her...uh, HELLO? AirTran is trying to do it's job by getting people to their destination on time (or near on time), not waiting for some spoiled child to decide to take her seat.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/07 at 9:50 am

I assume that the kid wasn't punished afterwards either :P

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/24/07 at 9:55 am

"AirTran Airways on Tuesday defended its decision to remove a Massachusetts couple from a flight after their crying 3-year-old daughter refused to take her seat before takeoff"

Refused to take her seat?  What ever happened to parents being in control?  Pick the kid up, plop her down and strap her in.  Calm and console her while she's in the seat. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/07 at 10:42 am

Seems to me....that this girl needs a taste of Jo Frost......

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4RijLdFAy0Bx1ujzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12h6n5hdd/EXP=1169743330/**http%3A//www.ricochet.co.uk/images/misc/supernanny_book_usa.jpg

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/24/07 at 10:52 am

The flight had already been delayed 15 minutes because of this brat, how much longer did the parents need to "console her"?  If she hadn't calmed down in 15 minutes (and that's AFTER the flight was supposed to take off, it was probably more like 20-30), it's doubtful she would have in another 5-10-15.  Her being in the seat is a matter of safety, for the child AND the other passengers.  I also agree that the airline was waaaayyyyy too generous, and I'm sure there will be a lawsuit over this ::)

Written By: spaceace on 01/24/07 at 11:12 am

If I were the parents I would have made the kid sit down.  Then I would have dealt with the child one to one AFTER the child was properly seated.  The airline had the right to get them off the plane.  I wonder if some terrorist is reading this, looking at his kid . . . enough said :-X

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/07 at 11:48 am

One time flying back from PR, there was this kid (about 3 or 4 years old) who was sitting behind me. He started kicking my seat and I thought, "Oh great, I have to put up with this all the way to Philly." The kid started crying and raising a ruckus. The flight attendent tried to console the kid with candy bars (I'm sure the sugar would have done him wonders.  ::) ) but the kid didn't want candy. What the kid wanted was his daddy. What had happened, the seat next to the kid & his mother was broken so the dad had to sit somewhere else on the plane. (This was in the middle section with 4 or 5 seats). The flight attendent than asked the woman who was sitting on the other side of them if she would mind changing seats with the dad. Of course she had no hesitation-I'm sure she didn't want to sit next to a screaming kid. The dad sat down and you can hear the kid's crying die down and then nothing. Then the entire flight started applauding-and the flight attendent took a bow.  ;D  That kid did not once kick the back of the seat. He was very happy to have his daddy next to him.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/07 at 12:52 pm

"AirTran Airways on Tuesday defended its decision to remove a Massachusetts couple from a flight after their crying 3-year-old daughter refused to take her seat before takeoff"

Refused to take her seat?  What ever happened to parents being in control?  Pick the kid up, plop her down and strap her in.  Calm and console her while she's in the seat. 

It's a no-win situation.  If the parents applied physical force to get the job done, some jerk-o with a cellpone cam would have recorded the whole thing, and by the time the plane reached its destination, a SWAT team would be waiting for those parents!
::)

Written By: philbo on 01/24/07 at 2:08 pm

It's a no-win situation.  If the parents applied physical force to get the job done, some jerk-o with a cellpone cam would have recorded the whole thing, and by the time the plane reached its destination, a SWAT team would be waiting for those parents!

I thought you had to turn those pesky mobiles (=cellphones on this side of the pond) off... ;)  ISTM that as well as an oxygen system, airliners these days ought to have nitrous oxide dispensers, too.

One time flying back from PR, there was this kid (about 3 or 4 years old) who was sitting behind me. He started kicking my seat and I thought, "Oh great, I have to put up with this all the way to Philly." The kid started crying and raising a ruckus.

It could be worse ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/07 at 2:15 pm

I thought you had to turn those pesky mobiles (=cellphones on this side of the pond) off... ;)  ISTM that as well as an oxygen system, airliners these days ought to have nitrous oxide dispensers, too.
It could be worse ;)

Damn Phil, that's impressive!  :)

Once I was flying from Washington DC to Salt Lake.  There were a bunch of adults and kids that got on the plane.  The adults put all of the kids in one section (starting in the row behind me), and all sat together, away from the children, about 10 rows back.  They totally ignored the kids.  One of the little bastards continued to kick my chair, despite my asking him several times not to.  I finally had to get up, go and find his mother, and ask her (not so kindly) to watch her children.  She looked at me like I was the epitome of evil, but I got plenty of smiles and winks from the other passengers. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/07 at 2:19 pm

^ Parenting = watch your children.

Written By: Marian on 01/24/07 at 2:24 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16773655/?GT1=8921

What do you think?  Was the airline justified?  I think they were.  I know I wouldn't want to spend several hours listening to a little girl screaming and hitting her parents.  I realize that kids sometimes throw fits, but this is pretty extreme.  It seems to me these tantrums are a common occurance for this little girl.  The airline not only refunded the family's money, they also flew them home for free, and gave them free tickets to anywhere they fly.  I think that's almost too generous.  There is no reason in the world the other passengers should have been subjected to parents who couldn't, (or wouldn't) control their child.

I agree.the airline was VERY generous.How old was this kid?They should have been able to teach her how to behave.

Written By: Marian on 01/24/07 at 2:25 pm

In this case, I'd actually agree with the airline. The little brat needed to be in her seat, not UNDER it. And that bullsh*t about calming her...uh, HELLO? AirTran is trying to do it's job by getting people to their destination on time (or near on time), not waiting for some spoiled child to decide to take her seat.
;) 8) 8) 8) 8)I agree.Tickets are expensive enough without having to take abuse on top of that.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/07 at 2:27 pm

You'd think so.

;) 8) 8) 8) 8)I agree.Tickets are expensive enough without having to take abuse on top of that.

Great point! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/07 at 3:04 pm

It could be worse ;)

Bravo!!! (And applause)

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 3:43 pm

It could be worse ;)

That ruled. I love Poe (and we share the same birth date), and I'm sure he would be proud of a parody such as that. :)

Thank heavens Jason behaved himself on his first flights. On the way to California, he fussed as we were taking off and landing, but was quiet during the flight itself. On the way back to Chicago, he slept until we got ready to land, and then I gave him some crackers to eat so his ears would pop. And this time around, he liked the landing because he'd shout, "Wheeeee!" everytime the plane descended a bit.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/24/07 at 5:18 pm

As a stockholder in Air tran Airways, I am encouraged by the enthusiastic support for management's decision in this situation.

Go Air Tran !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/07 at 6:29 pm

Oh you mean for the parents?

If you were witnessing a domestic assault, you'd just have to suspend those rules. 

If I don't like the way you're bringing up your children, that doesn't mean we disagree on the issue, it means you're a bad parent.  Case closed.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

At least they're not like that airline that was going, "That'll cost two tickets for you, lady, 'coz you're frikken 'uge!"

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/24/07 at 7:09 pm

That ruled. I love Poe (and we share the same birth date), and I'm sure he would be proud of a parody such as that. :)

Thank heavens Jason behaved himself on his first flights. On the way to California, he fussed as we were taking off and landing, but was quiet during the flight itself. On the way back to Chicago, he slept until we got ready to land, and then I gave him some crackers to eat so his ears would pop. And this time around, he liked the landing because he'd shout, "Wheeeee!" everytime the plane descended a bit.
When my oldest was about 6 months old, hubby was in training out in Denver for the job he had just taken.  Since the training was 3 weeks, I flew out with the kiddo to see him one weekend.  As we boarded the flight, the guy in the seat next to me said "Oh great" and rolled his eyes, then asked the flight attendant if he could switch seats with someone so he didn't have to sit next to "the baby" and another guy a few rows up said he'd switch with him.  I LMAO because my little guy drank a bottle on takeoff, promptly fell asleep, woke up shortly before landing, finished the bottle, and didn't make a peep the entire flight.  Meanwhile, there was about a 3 year old sitting right behind this guy and the kid was all over the place....not crying or anything, but just antsy.  I heard the guy ask the mother quite a few times to keep the kid from pushing on his seat.  I could see he was pretty ticked off when he was getting his stuff out of the overhead bin over my seat (I waited for everyone to get off because I had so much crap) so I smiled and said "Guess you should've stayed where you were" ;)  As I was getting off, the flight attendants complimented me on being able to keep him quiet the entire time and the one who let the guy move was trying so hard to not bust out laughing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/07 at 7:12 pm

^ ZOMFG PWNED!  :D :D :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/24/07 at 7:30 pm

If that had been me or my sister when we were that age, and we acted that disastrously.....we would have been spanked but good when we got home.  My parents never had to spank us though, because we knew how to behave in public.  No screaming, no crying, no throwing temper tantrums.  They could take us anywhere and know we would behave.

What happened to parenting?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/24/07 at 7:57 pm

If that had been me or my sister when we were that age, and we acted that disastrously.....we would have been spanked but good when we got home.  My parents never had to spank us though, because we knew how to behave in public.  No screaming, no crying, no throwing temper tantrums.  They could take us anywhere and know we would behave.

Heck, my parents wouldn't have waited until we got home and we knew it so we were always on our best behavior in public.  I have to brag here:  I've had people compliment me in public on how well behaved my kids are.  It usually happens at restaurants.  We've taken them to restaurants and shopping since they were all born and know what we expect of them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/24/07 at 8:36 pm

Heck, my parents wouldn't have waited until we got home and we knew it so we were always on our best behavior in public.  I have to brag here:  I've had people compliment me in public on how well behaved my kids are.  It usually happens at restaurants.  We've taken them to restaurants and shopping since they were all born and know what we expect of them.

Well, if you're going to brag that so will I!  My mom tells my sister and I how when we were little people would compliment her on how well-behaved we were when we were out in public.  My parents never once had to lay a hand on us in public or at home because of how we behaved.  My parents taught us that when they take us out in public we were to be on our best behavior.  I go out now and I see parents with their kids and the kids are running around unsupervised, screaming, grabbing at things and people, generally just being unruly and I wonder why the parents are so distracted.  I mean, they're either on the phone, talking to someone or just not paying attention.  Someone could snatch their kid and run and they wouldn't even notice.

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 9:37 pm

That's how Jason is. He's an absolute angel in public. Get him home though, and the boy is bouncing off the walls. :D

I could tell you some horror stories about people that let their kids run around or leave them by themselves. We used to see it all the time at Target. The most foul story I can think of is the time my coworker and I were straightening up the Dollar Spot and we noticed a cart that held a four year old girl and a newborn baby. The parents were nowhere in sight. I looked at my coworker, she looked at me, and we moved nearer to them so we could keep an eye on them. Still no parents, so I went to get security. Right as I started walking off, the parents came back...from different directions. The conversation that ensued after that ("I thought you had them! No, I thought you had them!") made me want to smack both of them for being so f*cking stupid. My coworker, who is not exactly tightlipped, told them point blank that they needed to keep their children with them at all times because we weren't babysitters and any person could have snatched them up if we hadn't been nearby. They walked off all pissed, but oh well.

I should've gotten security because they have to call the cops if something like that happens. NOW that would have been entertaining!

And then you had the usual random people come hauling ass up to Guest Services because they would lose their demon children. Jackasses. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/24/07 at 9:49 pm

That's how Jason is. He's an absolute angel in public. Get him home though, and the boy is bouncing off the walls. :D

I could tell you some horror stories about people that let their kids run around or leave them by themselves. We used to see it all the time at Target. The most foul story I can think of is the time my coworker and I were straightening up the Dollar Spot and we noticed a cart that held a four year old girl and a newborn baby. The parents were nowhere in sight. I looked at my coworker, she looked at me, and we moved nearer to them so we could keep an eye on them. Still no parents, so I went to get security. Right as I started walking off, the parents came back...from different directions. The conversation that ensued after that ("I thought you had them! No, I thought you had them!") made me want to smack both of them for being so f*cking stupid. My coworker, who is not exactly tightlipped, told them point blank that they needed to keep their children with them at all times because we weren't babysitters and any person could have snatched them up if we hadn't been nearby. They walked off all pissed, but oh well.

I should've gotten security because they have to call the cops if something like that happens. NOW that would have been entertaining!

And then you had the usual random people come hauling ass up to Guest Services because they would lose their demon children. Jackasses. ::)

If you can't watch your children and shop at the same time.....well then you either find a babysitter or don't leave the house.  There is no excuse for letting your kids go AWOL around the mall while you find a g-string in a size 6. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/24/07 at 9:51 pm

If you can't watch your children and shop at the same time.....well then you either find a babysitter or don't leave the house.  There is no excuse for letting your kids go AWOL around the mall while you find a g-string in a size 6. 

They could skip the mall and go to Michael's and get a ball of yarn if that's what they're going for :D  G-string = crazy!

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/07 at 9:55 pm

That's what irks me also. They used to expect us to watch their kids while they went back for "one more thing." I was like, "WTF?" I finally told one lady that I was doing my job, which didn't include watching her kid.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/25/07 at 6:35 am

Well, if you're going to brag that so will I!  My mom tells my sister and I how when we were little people would compliment her on how well-behaved we were when we were out in public.  My parents never once had to lay a hand on us in public or at home because of how we behaved.  My parents taught us that when they take us out in public we were to be on our best behavior.  I go out now and I see parents with their kids and the kids are running around unsupervised, screaming, grabbing at things and people, generally just being unruly and I wonder why the parents are so distracted.  I mean, they're either on the phone, talking to someone or just not paying attention.  Someone could snatch their kid and run and they wouldn't even notice.
I honestly can't remember my parents ever laying a hand on us, but the threat of it was enough.  My best friend's kids (well, one) used to be out of control, and it was a nightmare trying to do anything with them.  I knew he had ADHD, but she initially refused to see it.....once he started on meds, it was like an entirely different kid.  Now, he behaves, listens, etc.

Written By: Marian on 01/25/07 at 2:57 pm

I knoiw what you mean.Brats suck.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/25/07 at 3:07 pm

That's what irks me also. They used to expect us to watch their kids while they went back for "one more thing." I was like, "WTF?" I finally told one lady that I was doing my job, which didn't include watching her kid.

When my daughter was an infant I took her to the grocery store and while at the checkout and I realized I forgot something.  The cashier said to me "You can leave the baby here, I'll watch her."  I said I would take her with me and she jokingly said "What, you trust me?" .  I looked right at her and said "No, I don't".

Written By: KKay on 01/25/07 at 3:16 pm

no children. not in restaurants either. there is a time for them, and a place...kids restaurants or home.  if they need to travel, can't the doctor help them?
i don't want to be mean, ibut i really am asking if that 's an option.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/25/07 at 3:20 pm

no children. not in restaurants either. there is a time for them, and a place...kids restaurants or home.  if they need to travel, can't the doctor help them?

I've heard of people giving kids Benadryl before flights.  However, if you give my son Benadryl, it has the opposite effect, it makes him nuts. 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/25/07 at 5:02 pm

no children. not in restaurants either. there is a time for them, and a place...kids restaurants or home. 
I would never take my kids to a really "high class" restaurant.  I would say most restaurants we take them to are "kid friendly" (i.e. Chilis, Outback, Fridays, etc).  If we did, however, I doubt you'd even know they were there if you didn't see them.  As I said, I've had people compliment me on how well behaved they are.  I took them once to Portillo's (a hot dog/Italian beef sandwich-type place) and this lady jumped down my throat because they were laughing and "annoying her".  I mean, come on, this place is a hot dog joint where you order at one counter and pick up your own order at another, not a "high class" restaurant by any means.  I've never been in this place where there weren't a bunch of kids and she had the nerve to tell me "children belong at home, not in public" :o  Needless to say, I told her that if she didn't like kids, she shouldn't go to a place where kids are and I didn't appreciate her swearing in front of mine.  She got huffy and left after saying a few more "choice words".  When she left, another family sitting a few tables away started clapping ;D 
I've heard of people giving kids Benadryl before flights.  However, if you give my son Benadryl, it has the opposite effect, it makes him nuts. 
Mine are the same way, they react opposite to most meds.....for example, their asthma meds are supposed to "hype them up" and it knocks them out. if they need to travel, can't the doctor help them?
There are meds that they can take to "calm" them, but other than totally knocking them out, there's not much that a doctor can do.  There are things a parent can do, though.  During take-off/landing, you can have them eat (the chewing/swallowing actions help pop ears) or (and this sounds strange, but I've seen people - even adults - do it) you can take warm, wet washcloths and put them in styrofoam cups and hold them over the kids' ears, which helps ease the pressure as well.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/25/07 at 5:21 pm

It all depends on the child.

I vividly remember being brought to many "upscale" restaurants when I was a child.  But I had been raised "appropriately", and knew better then to cause a fuss.  In fact, I enjoyed going to new places.  Plus I was always adventurous, and even at age 6 I would "turn my nose" at the "Children's menu".

Since my mom and I both enjoyed Chinese food, I was proficient in chopsticks by the age of 8.  And at 7 it was not unusual for us to go to an upscale seafood place and find me eating raw oysters.  That was about the same time I discovered steamed clams, and when I was around 10 I devoured an entire bucket of them at a seafood place near the Space Needle in Seattle.

And I raised my kids the same way.  I could take them almost anyplace (once they were past 2), and not worry about them causing problems.  My ex and I took my oldest son to Black Angus when he was 4, and there was no problem at all.  Of course, most kids today are not raised knowing what is "appropriate".  It always grates my teeth when I go into a place like McDOnalds, and see 3-10 year old kids playing on the floor, running and screaming through the place, and behaving like idiots.  It always makes me wonder what kind of drugs their parents are on.

In the end, it all goes back to parenting.  Sadly, a lot of the children raised by hippies are now parents themselves.  The "do your own thing" ethic is now haunting many more generations.

note: this is not to insult "hippies", or people raised by them.  But that "free-for-all do-your-own-thing-with-no-consequences" type of mindset.  Children need to be raised with discipline (which turns into self-discipline as they get older).  Today far to many parents are turning this over to medication, which means that when the kids "outgrow the meds", they never learned how to control themselves.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/25/07 at 6:06 pm

It all depends on the child.

I vividly remember being brought to many "upscale" restaurants when I was a child.  But I had been raised "appropriately", and knew better then to cause a fuss.  In fact, I enjoyed going to new places.  Plus I was always adventurous, and even at age 6 I would "turn my nose" at the "Children's menu".

It really does depend on the child.  Both of my children have been raised "appropriately" but my son is totally different from my daughter.  He is just full of energy.  I wouldn't dream of taking him to a fancy restaurant, just because he is so active.

He was a "high needs" child from day one, my daughter is completely the opposite.  She loves going out to eat, acting all mature. 

if they need to travel, can't the doctor help them?

My kids love to fly, never have any trouble (knock wood!)and I always bring tons of stuff to keep the occupied.

I wouldn't think of giving my kids something just to knock them out so other people won't be bothered.  Kids cry and grown-ups b!tch and complain, personally I rather listen to a kid cry than a rude, cranky adult.  LOL!!

Written By: Jessica on 01/25/07 at 6:13 pm

It does depend on the child and it does depend on parenting. However, you can't raise your voice at a kid anymore without the authorities screaming, "CHILD ABUSE!" ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/07 at 9:48 pm

I would never take my kids to a really "high class" restaurant.  I would say most restaurants we take them to are "kid friendly" (i.e. Chilis, Outback, Fridays, etc).  If we did, however, I doubt you'd even know they were there if you didn't see them.  As I said, I've had people compliment me on how well behaved they are.  I took them once to Portillo's (a hot dog/Italian beef sandwich-type place) and this lady jumped down my throat because they were laughing and "annoying her".  I mean, come on, this place is a hot dog joint where you order at one counter and pick up your own order at another, not a "high class" restaurant by any means.  I've never been in this place where there weren't a bunch of kids and she had the nerve to tell me "children belong at home, not in public" :o  Needless to say, I told her that if she didn't like kids, she shouldn't go to a place where kids are and I didn't appreciate her swearing in front of mine.  She got huffy and left after saying a few more "choice words".  When she left, another family sitting a few tables away started clapping ;D  Mine are the same way, they react opposite to most meds.....for example, their asthma meds are supposed to "hype them up" and it knocks them out.  There are meds that they can take to "calm" them, but other than totally knocking them out, there's not much that a doctor can do.  There are things a parent can do, though.  During take-off/landing, you can have them eat (the chewing/swallowing actions help pop ears) or (and this sounds strange, but I've seen people - even adults - do it) you can take warm, wet washcloths and put them in styrofoam cups and hold them over the kids' ears, which helps ease the pressure as well.

The problem you had at the hot dog stand comes from the way when dining becomes more democratic, more of the riff raff gets through.  Burger King is supposed to be a kid friendly place, but it was also at BK where a drunken delusional personality disorder-type threatened to murder me for looking at him the wrong way.
"Gotta problem buddy, huh! You wanna die tonight?"
Of course, the cops came in half a minute later and hauled the guy out of the place.  No harm, no foul on me!  But I certainly wouldn't go to a place where my impressionable children would have to get exposed to Bob the mean drunk!
....Hey, I think I could sell Bob the Mean Drunk to BK for there next in a series of failed mascots.  McDonald has Rondald McDonald, a clown!  BK has Bob the Mean Drunk, a reprobate whose eye you don't even wanna catch!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/07 at 10:40 pm

It really does depend on the child.  Both of my children have been raised "appropriately" but my son is totally different from my daughter.  He is just full of energy.  I wouldn't dream of taking him to a fancy restaurant, just because he is so active.

He was a "high needs" child from day one, my daughter is completely the opposite.  She loves going out to eat, acting all mature. 
My kids love to fly, never have any trouble (knock wood!)and I always bring tons of stuff to keep the occupied.

same with Vaughn. We are raising him very "appropriately"...but he has always been strong-willed, active, etc.....and I will be the first to say that he doesn't act like an angel all the time....and nobody has ever said, "oh my what a perfect child you have"....but gosh darnit....he's a good child, and he gets better everyday...and I discipline him all the time....but it's just in his "make-up"...and it's also probably due to the given circumstances that he has become aware of as he gets older. I will say though that he is doing a LOT better...I'm so proud of him. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/07 at 11:42 pm

What do you mean, does that include like watching your children get hit by a Mack track?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/25/07 at 11:53 pm

Yes Max, that is exactly what it means.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/26/07 at 8:26 am

The problem you had at the hot dog stand comes from the way when dining becomes more democratic, more of the riff raff gets through. 
This "woman" wasn't your "typical" riff-raff, though.  She was one of those basic snobs who thinks that all children are devil spawn (no offense, Jess & Rice).  I truly doubt (hope?) that she ever had kids because she was one of those types with the "perfect"(ly expensive) clothes, etc. and kids are nothing but dirty, noisy, money grubbers who would do nothing but interfere with her social life. ::)  I get what you're saying, though....

....Hey, I think I could sell Bob the Mean Drunk to BK for there next in a series of failed mascots.  McDonald has Rondald McDonald, a clown!  BK has Bob the Mean Drunk, a reprobate whose eye you don't even wanna catch!

So, THAT's what "The King"'s real name is ;D  Sorry, but that thing gives me the creeps....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/26/07 at 8:31 am

same with Vaughn. We are raising him very "appropriately"...but he has always been strong-willed, active, etc.....and I will be the first to say that he doesn't act like an angel all the time....and nobody has ever said, "oh my what a perfect child you have"....but gosh darnit....he's a good child, and he gets better everyday...and I discipline him all the time....but it's just in his "make-up"...and it's also probably due to the given circumstances that he has become aware of as he gets older. I will say though that he is doing a LOT better...I'm so proud of him. :)
Trust me, if people saw how my kids behaved at home, they'd NEVER compliment me on how well behaved they are ;)  There have also been times when they've acted up in public, but for the most part, they behave (because they know if they don't, there are SERIOUS consequences).  I had a neighbor whose son was out of control most of the time and she had him out in public almost every day.  The mistake she made (and I think others make) is they think "Well, letting him do X this ONE time won't hurt".  It's like anything else, whether it be with a child, a budget, a job, whatever, you have to be consistent.

Written By: Jessica on 01/26/07 at 8:56 am

What do you mean, does that include like watching your children get hit by a Mack track?

Your sarcasm is lacking.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/26/07 at 9:08 am

Your sarcasm is lacking.

Yeah, thank goodness he de facto sterilized himself.

Written By: Marian on 01/26/07 at 2:12 pm

I would never take my kids to a really "high class" restaurant.  I would say most restaurants we take them to are "kid friendly" (i.e. Chilis, Outback, Fridays, etc).  If we did, however, I doubt you'd even know they were there if you didn't see them.  As I said, I've had people compliment me on how well behaved they are.  I took them once to Portillo's (a hot dog/Italian beef sandwich-type place) and this lady jumped down my throat because they were laughing and "annoying her".  I mean, come on, this place is a hot dog joint where you order at one counter and pick up your own order at another, not a "high class" restaurant by any means.  I've never been in this place where there weren't a bunch of kids and she had the nerve to tell me "children belong at home, not in public" :o  Needless to say, I told her that if she didn't like kids, she shouldn't go to a place where kids are and I didn't appreciate her swearing in front of mine.  She got huffy and left after saying a few more "choice words".  When she left, another family sitting a few tables away started clapping ;D  Mine are the same way, they react opposite to most meds.....for example, their asthma meds are supposed to "hype them up" and it knocks them out.  There are meds that they can take to "calm" them, but other than totally knocking them out, there's not much that a doctor can do.  There are things a parent can do, though.  During take-off/landing, you can have them eat (the chewing/swallowing actions help pop ears) or (and this sounds strange, but I've seen people - even adults - do it) you can take warm, wet washcloths and put them in styrofoam cups and hold them over the kids' ears, which helps ease the pressure as well.
Indian and Vietnamese restaurants tend to welcome kids.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/07 at 12:48 am

Your sarcasm is lacking.

I don't know from whense that came.  That was pretty dumb.  I have these special little moments when all functions fail simultaneously, thus "Does that mean watching them get hit by a Mack truck."
Maybe it's the lead paintchips I like to snack on!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: Jessica on 01/27/07 at 8:50 am

I don't know from whense that came.  That was pretty dumb.  I have these special little moments when all functions fail simultaneously, thus "Does that mean watching them get hit by a Mack truck."
Maybe it's the lead paintchips I like to snack on!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Still lacking.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 10:33 am

Still lacking.

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/07 at 5:17 pm

There's just no pleasing some people.
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...