inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Independent Films

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 12:00 am

Doesn't it seem like independent films are the "thing" right now? I mean, all you hear about anymore are Sundance Films...it seems like every other movie that is put out nowadays falls under the title of an independent film. What are some of your favorites, and do you think they are really a big deal?

Subject: Re: Independent Films

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/07 at 12:04 am

I like independent films.  One that I Can think of that I Really enjoyed was "Made" starring Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn.  That scene with Screech killed me with laughter ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 12:08 am

I think some indie films are better than the high-price blockbusters the big studios put out.  Partly because all the hype that goes with the actors in it or the director that films it, isn't there.  Also, sometimes they can get big-name or well-known actors in them, but because the budget is small and the locations are few, I think you can get a better performance without all the extraneous crap.

Some of my faves:

The Virgin Suicides
The Opposite of Sex
Requiem for a Dream
21 Grams

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/07 at 12:51 am

"Independent" just means it might have moderately complex themes/dialogue and no more then one large explosion in the entire screenplay!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 01/27/07 at 10:23 am

Independent Films have always been there.  Most of us older members remember them under the name "B Movies".

Mostly they filled small "nitches', like Teen Angst, horror, or the various Exploitation segments of the film industry.  Roger Corman, Ed Wood, George A. Romero, and Melvin Van Peebles were classic "Independent Film Makers".

And some classic "Independent Films" of the past include The Night Of The Living Dead, The Last Man On Earth, Little Shop Of Horrors, Foxy Brown, Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill, and THX-1138.

Of course, today we have both Cable, and DVD to help distribute them.  And they come in all forms, from "Film School" shorts, to long mocumentaries (like Blair Witch).  Their main attraction often times is in their uniqueness.  Which sometimes works, and sometimes falls flat.

Here is a link to 2 "Independent Films" that my best friend made.  The longest is "Crying Blue Paint", which is about 12 minutes long.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3867524655634264487&q=republican+pimps+pictures&hl=en

Check for new replies or respond here...