inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overrated NPR Shows

Written By: Tia on 02/03/07 at 6:38 pm

man, i'm threadhoorin today :D

prairie home companion is on right now and the theme for the evening is "bad jokes." so a bunch of people are making bad jokes and it's supposed to be funny and clever and ironic but in fact, it's just a bunch of bad jokes. which makes me think of how often prairie home companion, for a show that's supposed to be so awesome and brilliant, just grates on my nerves. it has its moments but a lot of times the music is annoying, the skits are goofy, it has long stretches when it's totally boring, and the lake wobegon stories aren't as good as they used to be.

you know what other show annoys me, that apparently every other living soul in the world loves? car talk. they're not that funny! they just make for it by constantly laughing at their own jokes until i want to pitch the radio across the room!

Subject: Re: Overrated NPR Shows

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/03/07 at 6:41 pm

Or that show with that Schwette guy...he's always talking about his balls.

Written By: Tia on 02/03/07 at 6:44 pm

HA! i love that one.

that's on youtube.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/04/07 at 12:52 am

Haven't listened to NPR in quite a while (maybe I should try and get back into it), but one thing that I always used to get a kick out of was the theme music to this Canadian show called "As It Happens." I swear, it sounds like it's straight out of like 1974 or something.

prairie home companion is on right now and the theme for the evening is "bad jokes." so a bunch of people are making bad jokes and it's supposed to be funny and clever and ironic but in fact, it's just a bunch of bad jokes. which makes me think of how often prairie home companion, for a show that's supposed to be so awesome and brilliant, just grates on my nerves. it has its moments but a lot of times the music is annoying, the skits are goofy, it has long stretches when it's totally boring, and the lake wobegon stories aren't as good as they used to be.

I agree, Garrison Keiller seems like kind of an elitist blowhard, I especially get annoyed when he starts whispering and sh*t.  Plus his audience seems like they're a bunch of trained seals who erupt into uproarious laughter at things that really aren't all that funny.

you know what other show annoys me, that apparently every other living soul in the world loves? car talk. they're not that funny! they just make for it by constantly laughing at their own jokes until i want to pitch the radio across the room!

I dunno. I'm kinda down with Click and Clack, I get a kick out of how they poke fun at callers who are completely clueless. Still, I can see where they'd get old if you listened to them every day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/07 at 5:27 pm

I have to admit that I do like PHC but don't listen to it all the time (we usually listen if we are out on the boat or in the car). And I do think that Garrison Keiller has a very soothing voice. (I can just imagine him reading to his kids/grandkids at bedtime.)  And yeah, I LOVE Lake Wobagon-best part of the show. But I do have to agree that the music can be somewhat...um...boring.

BTW, has anyone seen the movie?

Cat

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 5:28 pm

believe it or not, i haven't seen the movie. and robert altman is pretty much my god.

well, my god of the moment. you might have noticed i seem to have a full pantheon of greater and lesser deities.

Written By: spaceace on 02/04/07 at 5:29 pm

Can't stand PHC.  Love Car Talk and Wait Wait don't tell me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/07 at 5:31 pm

believe it or not, i haven't seen the movie. and robert altman is pretty much my god.

well, my god of the moment. you might have noticed i seem to have a full pantheon of greater and lesser deities.

Netflix has it (that where we saw it). It starts off slow but turned out to be a good flick.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 02/04/07 at 5:33 pm

wait wait don't tell me is great. i like whaddaya know, too. now THAT's a host who knows how to tell a bad joke. i love the way he eats crow when one of his jokes bombs.

i listen to LOTS of npr. (i really should give them some money.) my personal faves are probably whaddaya know and on the media. on the media is a very very smart show.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/04/07 at 6:09 pm

I don't listen to NPR very often, but out of the shows I've heard I enjoy Car Talk.  I think Tom and Ray are pretty funny.  You probably know this but they had small roles in the movie Cars...Rusty and Dusty Rust-eze.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/07 at 11:51 am

on the other hand, i'm really digging this american life. which i know a lot of people make fun of. it's a cool show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/07 at 7:04 pm

I frikkin' loathe Prairie Home Companion!  It's an urbane feint at being folksy.  Garrison Keillor can be funny sometimes, but mostly he's just pompous and wheezy.  They'll broadcast reruns from 10 years ago, and if you didn't hear it's original airing date in the beginning, you'd never know it!  PHC is there for the amusement of smug *liberals* with "Readers Digest" level intellects and pedestrian tastes in pseudo-folk music.

GK is no dummy.  He knew PHC was a spent force 15 years ago, but he's dealing with a demographic that thinks rice cakes are tasty!
::)

"Fresh Air" is generally overrated.  Terry Gross is a great interviewer, but there is a paucity of interesting guests.  There is no need to interview so many movie stars and trendy pop icons who get ample media time elsewhere.

"This American Life" sometimes runs a fun segment, but Ira Glass is like listening to Arnold Horshack.  Ditto David Sidaris.  Their brand of ironic kitsch is now passe.

NPR news is better than FOX News, but unfortunately the former is inching towards the latter, and not vice-versa. 

I remain a staunch fan of "Car Talk."  Talk of cars is completely uninteresting to me, so I am impressed with the ability of Tom and Ray to be able to jazz it up with cornball humor!

Written By: Tia on 06/02/07 at 1:03 pm

don't crack too hard on this american life until you hear "The allure of the mean friend."

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1177

love it. love it lvoe it love it.

Written By: KKay on 06/02/07 at 3:59 pm

thank you. I can't take it sometimes.

i dn'ot like the music shows, having boring conversations with people I don't know..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/07 at 5:49 pm

Their classical music programming is incredibly staid and conservative.

Even Arnold Schoenberg makes the run and hide under the bed.  The twelve-tone method is the work of the devil!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/satangrin.gif

I can't get enough of that pompous Saturday afternoon opera!  If you listen to caterwauling in Italian, it means U-R a very soppisticated person!
:P

Written By: Tia on 06/03/07 at 10:16 am

opera makes me wanna kill people. it's so shrill and annoying!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/07 at 5:50 pm

opera makes me wanna kill people. it's so shrill and annoying!

I like chamber opera and some music theater.  Opera as most people know it.  No thanks. 

Written By: Tia on 06/04/07 at 7:29 am

I like chamber opera and some music theater.  Opera as most people know it.  No thanks. 

dittoes. i dig sonatas and concertos. gimme a decent bach fugue for solo organ any day.

huh huh. i said "solo organ."

Written By: Tia on 06/04/07 at 7:29 am

we were just talking about this american life last night.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/04/07 at 8:43 pm

dittoes. i dig sonatas and concertos. gimme a decent bach fugue for solo organ any day.

huh huh. i said "solo organ."

Was it a pipe organ?  Uh-huh-huh-huh!
:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/05/07 at 12:43 am

Was it a pipe organ?  Uh-huh-huh-huh?
:D
You know, I've often heard that even though Elton John is a great piano player, he really sucks on the organ.

(ducking)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/06/07 at 9:49 pm

You know, I've often heard that even though Elton John is a great piano player, he really sucks on the organ.

(ducking)

Remember this one from the 6th grade?

Say, what's better than roses on your piano....

:-*

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/07/07 at 1:53 am

Remember this one from the 6th grade?

Say, what's better than roses on your piano....

:-*
;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/09/07 at 6:16 am

i'm totally online stalking ira glass right now.

Check for new replies or respond here...