inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Five For Fighting

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/04/07 at 11:49 pm

I haven't heard all their stuff, but I'd say they're one of the better lite bands out now.

"The Riddle" is sort of this era's Chicago/Lionel Richie/Phil Collins "cheesy but good pop ballad" music.

Subject: Re: Five For Fighting

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/07 at 12:09 am

Five For Fighting are great!  Here in Canada, 1 song from each of their three albums went Top 20 (It's Not Easy, 100 Years, The Riddle)

I love the animated video for The Riddle.  It's what first attracted me to the song, and now I can't get enough of it.  John Ondrasik has a wonderful voice :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/05/07 at 12:17 am

Five For Fighting are great!  Here in Canada, 1 song from each of their three albums went Top 20 (It's Not Easy, 100 Years, The Riddle)

I love the animated video for The Riddle.  It's what first attracted me to the song, and now I can't get enough of it.  John Ondrasik has a wonderful voice :)

It's animated? 8) Good to know there's still some old school-ish videos being made. Yeah, he's a great singer. Other than "100 Years" and "The Riddle", I don't know of any other huge hits they've had. I wonder if they're more successful up there.

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/07 at 12:35 am

It's animated? 8) Good to know there's still some old school-ish videos being made. Yeah, he's a great singer. Other than "100 Years" and "The Riddle", I don't know of any other huge hits they've had. I wonder if they're more successful up there.

It's half animation, half live action, a'la "Take on Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbkq2dhdjdw

I only know of these three songs as well, and on Billboard, was their only three Top 40s as well

Written By: tv on 02/05/07 at 12:37 am

"100 years" is a good song by them.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/05/07 at 12:42 am

They're pretty good. I know "Superman (It's Not Easy)", "100 Years", and "The Riddle" from them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/05/07 at 10:39 am

100 Years and The Riddle are two of my favorite songs!!!  100 Years always makes me cry for some reason.

Written By: nally on 02/05/07 at 9:55 pm

Uhm...their first hit was "Superman (It's Not Easy)", in late 2001. That was a huge hit, which got lots of radio airplay.

They're pretty good. I know "Superman (It's Not Easy)", "100 Years", and "The Riddle" from them.

Yeah, those are their only big hits thus far (at least in the US). ;)

Written By: star80 on 02/09/07 at 6:42 pm

I love this band.  Have one cassette and one cd by them.  I associate their song "Superman" with my oldest son, Jason, who turns 30 tomorrow, because he was in jail at the time the song was released ...............I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naive, Men weren't meant to fly with clouds between their knees (his freedom)...I'm only a man in a funny red sheet (their jail jumpsuit was reddish orange).

Their other song "100 Years" , I associate with my youngest son, Adam,  who is 16, he was 15 at the time the song came out.......15 There's still time for you, time to learn and time to lose, hey 15 there's never a wish better than this, when you've only got a 100 years to live

Written By: nally on 08/01/19 at 10:35 am

Here's one bit of trivia... this group is actually a one-man band.

Sole member John Ondrasik had conceived the name, Five For Fighting, from an ice hockey term for a penalty. (Mr. Ondrasik was a big hockey fan; his favorite team is the L.A. Kings.) And in the late 1990s, he actually released the act's first album, Message For Albert, which didn't have any hits. Their second album, America Town, released in late 2000, garnered success and contained the track "Superman (It's Not Easy)" which became a big hit the following year.
Mr. Ondrasik is still musically active under the FFF act, by the way.

Check for new replies or respond here...