inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Britney Spears: was she the Donna Summer or Paula Abdul of her time?

Written By: tv on 02/10/07 at 8:47 pm

I was thinking about this the other day and I came to a conclusion that Britney Spears was the Donna Summer of Paula Abdul of her time. See; Donna Summer was dominant from 1976 was pretty popular up until 1983 maybe. I lknow Donna did make a comeback in 1989 but Donna to me was more of a musician that filled in the gap between the 70's classic rock era and 80's New Wave era(late 70's/early 80's.) Meanwhile Paula Abdul who was dominant from 1989-1991 although she did have hits in 1992 filled in the gap between the New Wave and Grunge era's. Finally, Britney Spears filled in the gap(1999-2001) between the rap "Bad Boy era" with Puff Daddy(1997-1998) and the Dance-Club rap era with 50 Cent(2003-2005.)

What do you guys think was Britney Spears the Donna summer or Paula Abdul of her time?

Subject: Re: Britney Spears: was she the Donna Summer or Paula Abdul of her time?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/10/07 at 8:50 pm

Paula b/c they both can't sing.  :D
Donna had a voice.

Subject: Re: Britney Spears: was she the Donna Summer or Paula Abdul of her time?

Written By: tv on 02/10/07 at 8:52 pm

Paula b/c they both can't sing.  :D
Donna had a voice.
I agree Donna could sing while Paula really didn;t really have much of a voice(ala like Britney.)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/07 at 7:14 am

I believe that history will come to show Britney as the Marilyn Monroe of the late 2000's.

She's already blonde, and has a pretty good start on the failed-marriages front.  Eventually we'll see her do a spread in Playboy.

Elton will be writing "Candle in the Wind: 2015"....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/07 at 3:34 pm

Neither.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...